Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Ah okay, I guess that sounds pretty okay. It sounds sort of like Escape the Room combined with like... Sturbridge Villge or something?

Vaguely video game-ish. It might be enjoyable as like a thing people can do on corporate retreats, maybe replace the the SAG rejects with some hyper-realistic robots, maybe make the whole thing into a theme park. If we could find a couple of AI experts and throw funding at them, I see this thing being a huge success.

Agreed. And if funding is an issue, I can think of some ancillary uses for the tech. I would imagine you could piggyback any number of lucrative research ventures alongside the whole "themepark" thing. Why, the people running the park and the guests wouldn't even need to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

What else would they use indistinguishably-human robots with advanced AI for other than adult Disneyland characters?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Heads up my dudes... it's like a month and a week until the Season 2 premiere! Hang on, cowboys/ and or cowgirls!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Big Taint posted:

What else would they use indistinguishably-human robots with advanced AI for other than adult Disneyland characters?

Yeah, if the Delos Overlords aren't planning to make some pod people or creating an robo-army, wtf is going on up there?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m just here for the PoI crossover episode.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I had a letter waiting for me from the Sheriff saying my reputation proceeded me and when i confronted him about it he accused me of being a horsefucker

Caufman
May 7, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I had a letter waiting for me from the Sheriff saying my reputation proceeded me and when i confronted him about it he accused me of being a horsefucker

drat he cold-read you like a motherfucker.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I hope you did an old west version of the “I’ve thatched a hundred roofs, but do they call me D-Pad the thatcher? I’ve shoed every horse in town, but do they call me D-Pad the blacksmith?” joke. Or maybe it’s better if you were the one person who wasn’t a jerk-off to the actors. I would never have the strength of will to stop myself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Imagine going to Disney World and when the tour guide at the Jungle River Safari or whatever starts their tour full of bad puns in character, you're the guy sitting in the boat yelling back witty replies, because you got kicked out of MGM's Great Movie Ride for doing the same.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

D-Pad posted:

hahaha

That'd knock me off my game for a second

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bicyclops posted:

It sounds sort of like Escape the Room combined with like... Sturbridge Village or something?

Southern New England represent.

I also share the concern that giant creeps are going to sexually harass women at this thing. Misogynist abuse is the speculative aspect of the park I think the show got the most right.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm so sober I have no idea what you guys are going on about haha

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So there's going to be a Westworld mobile game now.... https://www.westworldmobile.com

Mobile games are almost unanimously terrible though so I don't have high hopes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php
So there's going to be a Westworld mobile game now.... https://www.westworldmobile.com

Mobile games are almost unanimously terrible though so I don't have high hopes.

This is going to be burdened by some kind of energy mechanic or weird loot drops to boost the freemium end of things, I'm sure.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bicyclops posted:

This is going to be burdened by some kind of energy mechanic or weird loot drops to boost the freemium end of things, I'm sure.

So, have to pay extra to gently caress the hookers right now? Or wait 30 minutes for your turn?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You're not even playing the guy loving the hookers, you're playing some Delos employee who manages the people loving the hookers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elephanthead posted:

Vistors to SW are not shameful enough to play on easy mode.

Of course not, most of the visitors we saw in season 1 were rich white dudes. They were already playing on easy mode.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Can't wait for this show to start back up so those dumb morons can stop their derail about conscious AI and brains. Kudos for starting the thread so early to remind us. Wish I was in Austin to experience the buildup IRL at the event.

Bicyclops posted:

Imagine going to Disney World and when the tour guide at the Jungle River Safari or whatever starts their tour full of bad puns in character, you're the guy sitting in the boat yelling back witty replies, because you got kicked out of MGM's Great Movie Ride for doing the same.

Why would I have to imagine? That sounds awesome

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

You're not even playing the guy loving the hookers, you're playing some Delos employee who manages the people loving the hookers.

To be fair a Westworld game would be kinda boring, at least in the Season One status quo. Why? Because none of the enemies can hurt you.

In real life getting smacked by a beanbag round is sufficient negative reinforcement but as a video game we're used to getting riddled with enough bullets to drop a rhino and everyone would just plow through it ignoring the shots laughing at their character going "ow."

ED: Not to say it couldn't be done. Either a Telltale game could be great, or an action game set between season 1 and 2, where the enemies DO gain lethal weapons by the 2nd level. Or better yet, on the side of the AI dealing with a numerically superior foe. Honestly the latter would work better for both the themes and giving you a reason to eat bullets.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Jungle River Safari

or

When you're tired and want to chill for 10 minutes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Jungle River Safari

or

When you're tired and want to chill for 10 minutes

Or you're a parent with a bunch of toddlers.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair a Westworld game would be kinda boring, at least in the Season One status quo. Why? Because none of the enemies can hurt you.

In real life getting smacked by a beanbag round is sufficient negative reinforcement but as a video game we're used to getting riddled with enough bullets to drop a rhino and everyone would just plow through it ignoring the shots laughing at their character going "ow."

ED: Not to say it couldn't be done. Either a Telltale game could be great, or an action game set between season 1 and 2, where the enemies DO gain lethal weapons by the 2nd level. Or better yet, on the side of the AI dealing with a numerically superior foe. Honestly the latter would work better for both the themes and giving you a reason to eat bullets.

Well they could do something like pretend that it's a game from the company that runs Westworld that's a regular video game as a kind of demo, or to sell to people who can't afford the real Westworld experience, so it's a regular video game where your character can die.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you think about it, life is basically a video game

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greententacle posted:

Well they could do something like pretend that it's a game from the company that runs Westworld that's a regular video game as a kind of demo, or to sell to people who can't afford the real Westworld experience, so it's a regular video game where your character can die.

Honestly we could probably just wait for Read Dead Redemption 2 because it's basically that

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The storyline to the Westworld video game would have to involve your character trying to manipulate characters and events within each iteration trying to create a throughline across resets, imo. That's the only way you'd be able to distinguish it from RDR. Think of it like The Stanley Parable...

Anyway, I'm kind of excited for Season 2 now that my brain has had enough time to forget the confusion and trauma that was caused by watching Season 1.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I really, really like the idea of playing a Westworld game from the perspective of a host, who is vulnerable to death and who forgets and loses everything every cycle anyway, and must leave clues for itself in strategic places to accomplish anything that lasts more than a cycle

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you drink enough, many video games can allow you to have that experience

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
This mobile game has strong Fallout Shelter vibes from the one photo...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CaveGrinch posted:

This mobile game has strong Fallout Shelter vibes from the one photo...

It's way more grindy at the same time there is less to do and it's way more cash grabby. Also it deleted my save today without warning, so I'd recommend avoiding it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

tadashi posted:

The storyline to the Westworld video game would have to involve your character trying to manipulate characters and events within each iteration trying to create a throughline across resets, imo. That's the only way you'd be able to distinguish it from RDR. Think of it like The Stanley Parable...

Anyway, I'm kind of excited for Season 2 now that my brain has had enough time to forget the confusion and trauma that was caused by watching Season 1.

You should play The Sexy Brutale

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I really, really like the idea of playing a Westworld game from the perspective of a host, who is vulnerable to death and who forgets and loses everything every cycle anyway, and must leave clues for itself in strategic places to accomplish anything that lasts more than a cycle

this is the right answer

you get given a cycle as the "main" objective of the game, like maybe you have to herd some cattle then buy something in the town but the real - hidden - objective is to work out what the gently caress

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Or like, maybe you're not the actual host robot, but some rogue programmer watching over the host using the park's interface, remote controlling its movements and impulses via strong suggestions that it's unaware of, and causing them to leave the clues for themselves to figure out their purpose on their own. Because if you're the host themselves, you already don't need the clues because you know the show's plot, so it's better if you're someone who has limited communication with a host instead. Definitely more interesting than playing as a guest who has no personal stake in the matter besides solving a maze.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Delzuma posted:

Yell “Andy’s coming!”

:shittypop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Season 1: The Maze

Season 2: The Door

:neckbeard:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/19/westworld-season-2-title-the-door/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Preston Jacobs, who's "thing" is being way to into Game of Thrones on youtube, is doing an episode by episode recap of Westworld season 1. If you can put up with his wierd gimmick, he does a good job breaking down what does and doesn't make sense given what we know now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Preston Jacobs, who's "thing" is being way to into Game of Thrones on youtube, is doing an episode by episode recap of Westworld season 1. If you can put up with his wierd gimmick, he does a good job breaking down what does and doesn't make sense given what we know now.

Excellent. I love Jacobs tearing into GoT, though that mostly works because he's a book fan and can call back to that when ripping the show a new one. This should still be fun tho!

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That weird gimmick is what I love about Preston Jacobs, without it, he's essentially just a GoT conspiracy theorist, and without comedic relief that is just grating. But that gimmick is an acquired taste.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jorghnassen posted:

That weird gimmick is what I love about Preston Jacobs, without it, he's essentially just a GoT conspiracy theorist, and without comedic relief that is just grating. But that gimmick is an acquired taste.

I love how he's just straight up using his Sweetrobin and Brandon gimmick instead of using WW characters. Watching the episode four one right now and I'm really digging the series, especially him pointing out callbacks to original WW and westerns in general.

e: also this Big Little Lies gag is A+ imo

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Seconding that it's a great little series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Relevant: https://www.buzzfeed.com/tedchiang/the-real-danger-to-civilization-isnt-ai-its-runaway?utm_term=.jjmv05Mw2#.umNR9Qvga

quote:

Billionaires like Bill Gates and Elon Musk assume that a superintelligent AI will stop at nothing to achieve its goals because that’s the attitude they adopted. (Of course, they saw nothing wrong with this strategy when they were the ones engaging in it; it’s only the possibility that someone else might be better at it than they were that gives them cause for concern.)
They have unconsciously created a devil in their own image, a boogeyman whose excesses are precisely their own.
Just as a superintelligent AI ought to realize that covering the planet in strawberry fields isn’t actually in its or anyone else’s best interests, companies in Silicon Valley need to realize that increasing market share isn’t a good reason to ignore all other considerations. Individuals often reevaluate their priorities after experiencing a personal wake-up call. What we need is for companies to do the same — not to abandon capitalism completely, just to rethink the way they practice it. We need them to behave better than the AIs they fear and demonstrate a capacity for insight.