Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

(in American English)

It just looks wrong.

But you repeat yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like Springfield, Oregon

Same.

I live in Portland and remember being so happy and shocked to learn that a ton of Simpsons characters were named after our streets.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inzombiac posted:

Same.

I live in Portland and remember being so happy and shocked to learn that a ton of Simpsons characters were named after our streets.

Isn't Groening from Portland?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

syscall girl posted:

Condolences if you're from Springfield Oregon
Oh no, I’m not from any springfields but am VERY yellow and haven’t aged since the late 80s

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Randaconda posted:

Isn't Groening from Portland?

Yeah but I think (???) he lived in Ashland. My memory is super fuzzy on this.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

fullroundaction posted:

TIL that “judgment” (not “judgement”) is actually the correct spelling of the word (in American English) after our copywriter proofed something for me.

Yes things change over time and accepted use cases etc I get it. I just didn’t even know judgment was on the table. It just looks wrong.

It still bothers me that "refrigerator" has no "d".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sweeperbravo posted:

I work in the commercial kitchen equipment industry and let me tell you, you ain't alone

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's no n in restaurateur.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And it's spelled "minuscule".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hirayuki posted:

well gently caress me running.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Believe it or not, the correct spelling is actually "ruming." Little known fact, an "m" should actually be used whenever there would be two "n"s next to each other. Hence the old name, double-n.

edit: no poo poo I thought half these posts were fake holy poo poo. Restaurateur? Really?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: no poo poo I thought half these posts were fake holy poo poo. Restaurateur? Really?

To be fair to you this thread is basically a series of goddamn bear traps interspersed with moments of bizarre revelation.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

When using a key to lock a deadbolt, turn the key in the direction the bolt goes into the frame. Opposite for unlocking it. I am three decades old and just realized this. No more will I turn the key the wrong way first when I get home.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess you mean "so the top of the key goes in the direction the bolt goes" unless your bolts rotate into place. There are a couple doors I have to deal with regularly where the lock is installed upside down and you have to turn the key in the opposite direction of what you'd expect, so the bottom moves in the direction of the bolt. Example, lock is on the right side of a door, turning the key counterclockwise moves the bolt rightward into the doorframe.

edit: here's some content that I didn't just make up myself, related to clockwise/counterclockwise: Modern clocks run in the direction they do because that's the direction the shadow moves across a sundial in the Northern hemisphere.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Believe it or not, the correct spelling is actually "ruming." Little known fact, an "m" should actually be used whenever there would be two "n"s next to each other. Hence the old name, double-n.

I watch a ton of cooking shows and even knowing the correct spelling I keep hearing the nonexistent N anytime anyone says the word.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I want to thank you for educating me, as someone who's feathers get super duper ruffled (Hi, Literally a Bird) by people spelling and pronouncing the word ridiculous incorrectly. I make a point of ridiculing them, because they are worthy or ridicule. It's REEDICULOUS.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jail and prison mean the same thing (over here anyway, I think they’re slightly different in the US) but jailer and prisoner are opposites.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Jail and prison mean the same thing (over here anyway, I think they’re slightly different in the US) but jailer and prisoner are opposites.

That's because 'jail' is a verb as well as a noun, and a jailer is a person who jails others. I guess 'imprisoner' would be the equivalent for 'prison'.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

So does gaol ;)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

So does gaol ;)

That took me a while to figure out as a kid

And 'draught'

Draught beer, draught horse, a kind of checkers, a leaky room. Drott.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I want to thank you for educating me, as someone who's feathers get super duper ruffled (Hi, Literally a Bird) by people spelling and pronouncing the word ridiculous incorrectly. I make a point of ridiculing them, because they are worthy or ridicule. It's REEDICULOUS.

This thread makes it so hard to tell whether someone is trying to make a joke or they're just sincerely mistaken...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

(Hi, Literally a Bird)

:3:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

well gently caress me running.

This phrase never fails to make me giggle.

See also: "having a running fit"

I guess I find the word "running" funny? Idk,

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

It's term and who runs it.

In the US and Canada a jail is for awaiting sentencing, and shorter sentences. In the US it's run by some local authority, like the county or the city in a big enough one (For example Riker's Island is a jail run by NYC, not a prison.) In Canada they're run by the province.

A prison is for longer term. In the US that's the state or federal, Canada federal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I guess you mean "so the top of the key goes in the direction the bolt goes" unless your bolts rotate into place.
I've never understood how that "lefty loosy right tighty" mnemonic is supposed to be helpful. Instead of memorising that and also remembering that you're talking about the direction of the top of the circle rather than the bottom, why not just remember that counterclockwise loosens? Neither one is easier to remember than the other.

syscall girl posted:

And 'draught'

Draught beer, draught horse, a kind of checkers, a leaky room. Drott.
Are you saying you pronounce "draught" as "drott"? Because that is not how you pronounce "draught".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Are you saying you pronounce "draught" as "drott"? Because that is not how you pronounce "draught".

Actually that's exactly how it's pronounced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_pOYPQN-4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood how that "lefty loosy right tighty" mnemonic is supposed to be helpful. Instead of memorising that and also remembering that you're talking about the direction of the top of the circle rather than the bottom, why not just remember that counterclockwise loosens? Neither one is easier to remember than the other.

Because it's supposed to be for kids.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's also more about the direction to turn a screw or similar thing than locking and unlocking doors, at least that's how it was taught to me

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I'm saying if you read it in a book it looks like it should be pronounced like "caught" much like "gaol" should have a hard 'g'

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

syscall girl posted:

I'm saying if you read it in a book it looks like it should be pronounced like "caught" much like "gaol" should have a hard 'g'
I made both of these mistakes as a young child! Also "epitome" as though it was a type of book. The Epi Tome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Because it's also more whimsical than "counterclockwise loosens" and flows off the tongue better

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i was actually always taught "counterclockwise loosens" and it kept tripping me up because it's like, what, do they mean the side i'm looking at, or the other side? i totally understand tiggum's confusion on this one

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

On a similar note, the correct word is remuneration. I almost ended up "correcting" the spelling on some financial statements I was working on until I found that one out.

sweeperbravo posted:

Back when I used to work as a bartender, one of the old bartenders had written a note reminding everyone to turn the refrigerator off when you're done with it, except she wrote "turn frig off" which just reminds me of Randy:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

You don't know that when you're seven (in the US).

syscall girl posted:

I knew that gaol meant the same thing as jail (because Mr. Toad got locked up), but thought that it was something like a weird spelling of goal.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
You already know that "righty" means clockwise because that's how you steer a wheel or bicycle handle to the right.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Tiggum’s land of down under you actually have to steer left to turn right

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Righty-tighty, port to thwart.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I made both of these mistakes as a young child! Also "epitome" as though it was a type of book. The Epi Tome.

"Convoluted" for me. I knew the word "convulsed" so I thought it was con-vul-ted for the longest time. My dad made fun of me for years for that one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know if you know this, but I actually was a child once - had to give it up, I just felt that it wasn't working for me - and it didn't make any more sense to me then either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flyball posted:

I knew that gaol meant the same thing as jail (because Mr. Toad got locked up), but thought that it was something like a weird spelling of goal.
There's a Genesis song with the line "a gaol can give you a goal" that I did not realize was supposed to be clever wordplay for years.

Soysaucebeast posted:

"Convoluted" for me. I knew the word "convulsed" so I thought it was con-vul-ted for the longest time. My dad made fun of me for years for that one.
My ex also made that mistake, but my favorite of hers (that I may have posted in here before) was the time she pronounced "facsimile" to rhyme with "chamomile".