Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

This is my yellow saab:

I have a set of 'inca' allow wheels to go on it, like the ones in this picture:

I am about to get the wheels refurbished and powder coated

I am thinking about getting them done a different colour because silver is boring, but i'm not totally sure what to go for. I'm tempted by black or gunmetal grey but I've never seen these wheels in any other colour before in person so i'm not sure what it will look like. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Here's one I GIS'd which appears to be black and silver:

Get a can of E-Tech "technic grey" off Ebay and try that:

Excuse the masking, I covered the areas I was going to polish, but it's a nice mid-grey metallic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So 3D printing a house is officially a thing now and I want one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=88&v=SvM7jFZGAec

I wonder how up to code they are for the US.

[e] for some reason BB code is all hosed up and i can't imbed video wtf

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 14, 2018

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There’s not a Mitsubishi thread up right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tomarse posted:

This is my yellow saab:

I am thinking about getting them done a different colour because silver is boring, but i'm not totally sure what to go for. I'm tempted by black or gunmetal grey but I've never seen these wheels in any other colour before in person so i'm not sure what it will look like. Has anybody got any suggestions?

I think they look pretty good in silver, especially since that's the original color. If you go with black a lot of the details will be lost in most light. Silver might be boring but who else is driving Saabs around and how many of them have the inca alloys?

I had some original wheels for my Rugger that the previous owner had done up in black. I was going to finish them in black as well but instead I went back to the original white and they look much better. Black just swallowed up the details.

Before

After

I'd suggest going with something lighter in color rather than black.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Late toll payment for this page...

InitialDave posted:

Get a can of E-Tech "technic grey" off Ebay and try that:

Excuse the masking, I covered the areas I was going to polish, but it's a nice mid-grey metallic.

I think I'd like to go darker than that. They are all proper manky and need stripping and some kerb rash repair before I can do anything with them too.

This place in Stoke want £45/wheel + VAT for refurb (acid dip,media blast, repair and power coat). Their "Dark Anthracite" looks like the option other than satin black

Goober Peas posted:

I like your yellow Saab. Does it have the alligator clamp safety belts?

Yep :)

It doesn't look that shiny at the moment (or have a working engine) but i'm just sorting the wheels out in advance as I'm swapping all my wheel stock around

edit:

KakerMix posted:

I think they look pretty good in silver, especially since that's the original color. If you go with black a lot of the details will be lost in most light. Silver might be boring but who else is driving Saabs around and how many of them have the inca alloys?

I had some original wheels for my Rugger that the previous owner had done up in black. I was going to finish them in black as well but instead I went back to the original white and they look much better. Black just swallowed up the details.

Point taken that black does lose the details of the wheel. I've gone black on my landrover wheels (which were originally very similar to your Rugger white wheels but much rustier)

Most of the people still driving these Saabs now do have inca alloys fitted (or the minilites as it currently has) and they all seem to be silver.

I'm not going for original on this car! It was the base model poverty spec which is now a non-original colour, has the wrong interior, is about to get the wrong engine and has had the boot floor cut out and raised in order to swap the petrol tank for an LPG tank!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 14, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just do the original silver, it looks the best imo.

Although I gotta say the watanabe style wheels look tits.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I vote gunmetal with black and silver accents. Straight silver is boring af and done to death.

Besides, it's paint. If you don't like it, redo em.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Before

After

I'd suggest going with something lighter in color rather than black.

Please tell me I can find one of these in the states oh my god

E oh it’s Daihatsu I think I can at least import one

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

....as you quote the guy who literally has an importing thread

Like I was about to post about smoking myself retarded and you manage to make me feel brilliant again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You're going to have to! We never got the turbo diesel LWB versions, just the Rockys.

Don't know if you've ever been but we have a Japanese import thread where a couple of us (really just Lord of Garbagemen and I) import various cars from Japan to the USA. I've gone from zero knowledge in how it all works to uh, way too many cars on the way. The intention is to sell them yeah but lmao if you don't fall in love with some of these.

I have that Rugger as my daily, we have a 1990 Toyota Crown wagon we imported as well for personal use and it's super excellent. Both of them were one owner cars and my wife and I are the second owners. :getin:

I've got some things on the way

1990 Lite Ace, gasoline 5 speed manual 4x4 with the Skylite Roof option

1991 Land Crusier Prado, 5 speed manual turbo diesel short wheelbase 4x4

1991 Land Cruiser, 5 speed manual diesel short wheelbase 4x4. Front and rear locking diffs with a 24 volt dual-battery system

and our greatest auction score

1985 Hilux Surf, 5 speed manual turbo diesel

Point is there is no reason to drive something boring and if you like tyte JDM rides you too can import weird and rad cars and drive them around yourself!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tomarse posted:

This is my yellow saab:

your car is so good.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That is just bad rear end.

Probably goes zero to 60 between now and sometime in the next century (not that you would want to go fast in it) but it's still bad rear end.

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Seriously, those wheels are beautiful in white.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Seriously, those wheels are beautiful in white.

Black plasti dip was the worst trend. So many cars with lovely matte black wheels running around that would look great ok at least otherwise.

People need to learn how to embrace colour, or other shades.

Also - screw really smoked or tinted taillights, doubly so for headlights. A very light smoke to bring the red tone down a touch can look fantastic. The black taillights that look like you have a tiny birthday candle illuminating them when lit, not so much.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 14, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaha posted:

Black plasti dip was the worst trend. So many cars with lovely matte black wheels running around that would look great ok at least otherwise.

Also - screw really smoked or tinted taillights, doubly so for headlights. A very light smoke to bring the red tone down a touch can look fantastic. The black taillights that look like you have a tiny birthday candle illuminating them when lit, not so much.

Nah they look fine as long as they're sprayed on the outside with visible drip runs

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Nah they look fine as long as they're sprayed on the outside with visible drip runs

:twitch:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

No clearcoat either.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All black everything. Black cards, black cars.

Cage fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 14, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tide posted:

That is just bad rear end.

Probably goes zero to 60 between now and sometime in the next century (not that you would want to go fast in it) but it's still bad rear end.

It doesn't seem slow to me but the top comfortable speed is about 65 mph. I dunno maybe it's my perception since it's a noisy loud thing that requires a bit of concentration to drive vs. the Crown which I'll doze off while cracking 90.

Bajaha posted:

Blacked out badges seem to make cars look really cheap these days.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The whole 'all black everything' has really tempted me to have my CVPI repainted in DOT orange.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

You're not lying, I would drive that thing all day every day.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Happy pi day!

I was bored.

Cage fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 14, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Ever get a single sharp chest cramp in or below the ribcage and rather than assuming pulled muscle or whatever you instantly jump straight to well this is it, this is the end

Every fuckin' time

Getting old sucks and I swear if I make it to seventy I'm going to have such anxiety that it's going to cause a heart attack.

Stephen Hawking died today :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cage posted:

Happy pi day!

I was bored.

:yeah:

I've been getting into the pie game myself.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Overflowing cherries am I right :argh:

e: nice pies I'd eat em

Cage fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 14, 2018

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CornHolio posted:

Every fuckin' time

Getting old sucks and I swear if I make it to seventy I'm going to have such anxiety that it's going to cause a heart attack.

Stephen Hawking died today :(

If Stephen Hawking can get to 76 with ALS we need to step our game up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

....as you quote the guy who literally has an importing thread

Like I was about to post about smoking myself retarded and you manage to make me feel brilliant again.

i dont keep up with ai anymore so i wouldnt have known :saddowns:

KakerMix posted:

You're going to have to! We never got the turbo diesel LWB versions, just the Rockys.

Don't know if you've ever been but we have a Japanese import thread where a couple of us (really just Lord of Garbagemen and I) import various cars from Japan to the USA. I've gone from zero knowledge in how it all works to uh, way too many cars on the way. The intention is to sell them yeah but lmao if you don't fall in love with some of these.

I have that Rugger as my daily, we have a 1990 Toyota Crown wagon we imported as well for personal use and it's super excellent. Both of them were one owner cars and my wife and I are the second owners. :getin:

I've got some things on the way

1990 Lite Ace, gasoline 5 speed manual 4x4 with the Skylite Roof option

1991 Land Crusier Prado, 5 speed manual turbo diesel short wheelbase 4x4

1991 Land Cruiser, 5 speed manual diesel short wheelbase 4x4. Front and rear locking diffs with a 24 volt dual-battery system

Point is there is no reason to drive something boring and if you like tyte JDM rides you too can import weird and rad cars and drive them around yourself!

Nice! for some reason i thought that you lived in south africa, but drat am i gonna have to look around for some fun toys to import one day

e; gently caress i like that Hilux a lot

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 14, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bajaha posted:

It's also in all likelihood illegal. Definitely for the headlights.

Liquid Communism posted:

The whole 'all black everything' has really tempted me to have my CVPI repainted in DOT orange.

Do eeeeet!
MotionAutoTV's Project Haggard drift challenge CVPI was orange, and looked awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgppX5LlII

Here's a different one:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i dont keep up with ai anymore so i wouldnt have known :saddowns:

UNCLEAN!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

It's also in all likelihood illegal. Definitely for the headlights.

Do eeeeet!
MotionAutoTV's Project Haggard drift challenge CVPI was orange, and looked awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgppX5LlII

Here's a different one:

That's pretty damned awesome. I enjoy the color.

It's either sad or a product of where I live, but when I see awesome-colored crown vics I generally think "donk," but then I saw the wheels on that one and was surprised and happy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
welp, brother is in the ER. probably severe dehydration.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope you can help him through this somehow.

I'm on the plane home or I'd make a rather lengthy post about my brother.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's pretty damned awesome. I enjoy the color.

It's either sad or a product of where I live, but when I see awesome-colored crown vics I generally think "donk," but then I saw the wheels on that one and was surprised and happy.

90% of the pics a GIS brings up for "orange crown victoria" are donks.9% of them are Yellow Cabs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CornHolio posted:

welp, brother is in the ER. probably severe dehydration.

I had a long reply typed up last night about/for him, but managed to close the wrong tab. :doh:

Hopefully the hospital will give him a referral for, at the least, detox, if not some kind of rehab. He needs to ask them about any charity programs they have when the bill for this ER visit comes in as well - almost every hospital has them. If he goes into bad enough withdrawal while there, they may go ahead and admit him for detox, or hit him with some ativan and send him home with Librium. If he's hiding his drinking, he's probably doing it to hide withdrawal symptoms (shaking, sweating, anxiety, etc).

To put it bluntly, I've basically been your brother before, and it drat near killed me (let me tell you how fun it is getting rushed into an ICU with a tube in your dick, and staying there for a week). Unfortunately I still drink (not nearly as much though?), but I know what he's going through. Hopefully he caves and gets help before he hits bottom.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

90% of the pics a GIS brings up for "orange crown victoria" are donks.9% of them are Yellow Cabs.
That leaves 1% for Holdbrooks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I had a long reply typed up last night about/for him, but managed to close the wrong tab. :doh:

Hopefully the hospital will give him a referral for, at the least, detox, if not some kind of rehab. He needs to ask them about any charity programs they have when the bill for this ER visit comes in as well - almost every hospital has them. If he goes into bad enough withdrawal while there, they may go ahead and admit him for detox, or hit him with some ativan and send him home with Librium. If he's hiding his drinking, he's probably doing it to hide withdrawal symptoms (shaking, sweating, anxiety, etc).

To put it bluntly, I've basically been your brother before, and it drat near killed me (let me tell you how fun it is getting rushed into an ICU with a tube in your dick, and staying there for a week). Unfortunately I still drink (not nearly as much though?), but I know what he's going through. Hopefully he caves and gets help before he hits bottom.

They're admitting him. They ran tests on his liver and all I know is that his "numbers are high" whatever that means. I think my folks are willing to foot any and all medical bills he gets. They're retired and have money.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

CornHolio posted:

They're admitting him. They ran tests on his liver and all I know is that his "numbers are high" whatever that means. I think my folks are willing to foot any and all medical bills he gets. They're retired and have money.

It means his liver is damaged and pumping liver enzymes into his blood (rather than, you know, staying in the liver where they can do their job). Glad he's getting help, though, even if it did require a trip to the ER first.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Glad I am not the only one that thought exactly this as I had to check and see if it was a Holdbrooks post.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

Ironically enough, his Crown Vic is black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CornHolio posted:

They're admitting him. They ran tests on his liver and all I know is that his "numbers are high" whatever that means.

Means he's drinking a lot more than he's been letting on.

Are they putting him in a regular room, or some form of critical care? If he's going into ICU or CCU, they're worried about withdrawals and will likely have him on Ativan (so don't expect him to remember much of any conversations he may have while there), and will probably discharge him in 3-5 days with an rX for Librium - which I would encourage you or family (or his girl) to hang on to and give as directed, unless he starts getting visibly shaky/sweaty, then it's time for a little more. He won't be driving or really going out on that anyway.

Glad they admitted him, hopefully this will be the wakeup call he needs.

• Locked thread