Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

So basically everybody just needs to blast Darude's Standstorm on full volume and they'll be safe from Lion. :science:

Coincedentally, Darude Sandstorm is the codename of the Year 3 Season 2 operation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Operator with a deployable boombox when?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, his mask just remotely hacks drones and cameras to erase himself from their video feed. :v:

nah, look at vigil's back. the mask is just to look cool and edgy. :ninja:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
yeah when you stalk him as IQ it is the backpack that lights up. which is fair enough because he would get headshotted way more often if it was the mask.

also lol i guess cav counters jackal's active tracking by walking on her tippy toes. vigil countering lion would be a good mirror to this.

i can see why all the little one-off counters are something people don't want to see in this game but at the same time if they plan on adding 100 characters it'll be just a cool little novelty for players that have been around that long. not as arbitrary as the +10 sibling rivalry bonus but also probably not the reason a round is won or lost. may as well play roulette if you're gonna bank on those odds

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

named after one of the best games of all time.

its crazy how much of a stealth game this can be with vigil hopefully being the most invisible a person will ever get

buff capitao with a moss arrow for aoe silent stepping

can we get an operator that can unscrew lightbulbs and throw them on the ground that act like barbed wire in terms of sound triggers but if a downed player crawls through them they take minor dmg

a defender using sound decoy as an ability would be the ultimate roamer. but if ubi just wants to give us an operator that can put any headgear you have unlocked on a stick that'd be cool too

edit edit: as it is these attackers have it too easy since they are apparently using echo's cloaking technology to hide the defuser every round

Thief fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 14, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
tbh I'm okay with one-off counters of gadgets because at the end of the day jackal can still shoot cav. lion can still gun vigil to death.

as long as they don't add a bunch of ops with immunity to guns, we should be okay. especially if they dont make them really fast or try to make gun immune ops viable

aw gently caress

Thief posted:

can we get an operator that can unscrew lightbulbs and throw them on the ground that act like barbed wire in terms of sound triggers but if a downed player crawls through them they take minor dmg

lighting is a huge part of the balance (and used for weird random things like someone flicking the switch to make candelas more impressive) so I understand why I can't kill the lights but drat if I wouldn't play the bulb hunter

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

An operator who can place fake traps that explode like hand grenades when shot.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rectus posted:

An operator who can place fake traps that explode like hand grenades when shot.

Most traps are already shot at a respectable range though. And obvious traps would be obvious traps, as it were. So you either place it smart and people run by it, or place it in the middle of a hallway and marvel as you kill no one ever.

But if we're playing Fantasy Operators: Give me an operator with an optic camo cloak, but they can't move without disrupting it and they also can't see through it. Find a good semi out of the way place, bring up your cloak and listen to footsteps. Maybe let them use cameras while cloaked, we'd have to see what sort of advantage that has.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Make it tiny and subtle, then put it on top of barbed wire. :getin:

Anyhow, I'm about to buy Mira, so I'm wondering if anybody got some advice on how to place her mirrors? I've seen some people put them on unreinforced walls to shoot right through, some putting them on reinforced walls right next to one that's been left bare, and many just putting them on a fully reinforced section with no vulnerabilities anywhere. So basically I've got no idea which one of these is a good idea and which one's a waste. Anything map-specific would be grand as well.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just give me an op that tapes a speaker to a wall that emits gunfire sounds on activation as distraction but I think that might be way too OP.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
There's a lot of thrown about ideas for operators that use dummy intel (fake gunfire, fake booby traps) here. Do any already extant operators do that kind of thing? Vigil and Caveira kinda count, but they remove actual intel (electronic visual and movement sound), rather than adding fake intel.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

cav can control foot step trails though no jackal on earth has ever been good enough to not scan immediately

Perestroika posted:

Anyhow, I'm about to buy Mira, so I'm wondering if anybody got some advice on how to place her mirrors? I've seen some people put them on unreinforced walls to shoot right through, some putting them on reinforced walls right next to one that's been left bare, and many just putting them on a fully reinforced section with no vulnerabilities anywhere. So basically I've got no idea which one of these is a good idea and which one's a waste. Anything map-specific would be grand as well.

you're gonna do all of these things. experiment with whatever interests you. the only downside to playing mira is that spergs will absolutely try to backseat drive you almost every match so feel free to ignore them if you aren't feelin it

the easiest way to start is reinforced miras because they at the very least you can spy through them even if you cant shoot through them

after a while the only time you will ever need to deploy on a reinforcement will be very map/obj specific locations

if you aren't comfortable altering the flow of anchoring on site then roam around and practice putting them in random areas. with proper map knowledge this becomes the most fun way to play her.

vector/shotgun is the best loadout. shotgun/pistol is fun though. you can even double shotgun if roaming for the extreme comedy option.

Minrad posted:

lighting is a huge part of the balance (and used for weird random things like someone flicking the switch to make candelas more impressive) so I understand why I can't kill the lights but drat if I wouldn't play the bulb hunter

yeah, until then we will just have to enjoy the theatrics of Thatcher's EMP.

as it stands i think ubi did a pretty good job updating the lighting stuff for now. if an eventual operation comes out that is focused on manipulating lighting that would own but i think they're more focused on esportz than immersion.

there are day/night maps. there are weapon attachments. the framework is already there but i wouldn't expect it to leave the backburner until they're ready to do an operator as interesting as dokkaebi again

the spotlights are all placed well enough for gameplay reasons and cause lens flares/shadows that can be exploited by both attackers and defenders.

it'd be fun but one of the more silly things to do since these are all literally Rainbow 6 level operators. even Sam Fisher was generally going up against guards that were bored senseless from the routine of long mindless nightshifts

Thief fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 14, 2018

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

What about an attacker who can use deployed traps to switch them over to trigger on defenders.

E: Or just give IQ that ability.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
LMAO a drat hologram? Can't wait to push the site and get gacked from 3 different angles as I ADS into some phony defender

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Davin Valkri posted:

There's a lot of thrown about ideas for operators that use dummy intel (fake gunfire, fake booby traps) here. Do any already extant operators do that kind of thing? Vigil and Caveira kinda count, but they remove actual intel (electronic visual and movement sound), rather than adding fake intel.

You can do some fun things with Thermite, since his charges are so loud and noticeable. I have won rounds by placing one down, going to a doorway, hitting the remote, then shooting someone staring where the big fuckin' hole was about to open.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LMAO a drat hologram? Can't wait to push the site and get gacked from 3 different angles as I ADS into some phony defender

Ooh, a defender who can place out dummies in windows to make it look like someone is spawn peeking.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rectus posted:

What about an attacker who can use deployed traps to switch them over to trigger on defenders.

E: Or just give IQ that ability.

Now this I can get behind. They'd need an actual gadget to be able to change Grzmot mines though. Some kind of handheld device. Have it work on Jaeger's gadget too. Kapkan traps and Frost traps you'd have to do by hand though because they're low tech. Bandit would be immune because it's literally car batteries. Extra comedy options: Switching a frost trap is just an animation of you turning the trap around. And you can hack the Yokai to feedback on Echo for a chunk of damage.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I know blitz is pretty good but as a shield user aficionado, I'd love an explosive shield, or a shield user with one handed SMG or shotgun, or shield on the defense. shield shield shield

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I mean a Hologram Defender is yet another indirect IQ buff, that will make Thief very happy.

I wonder if the Bulletproof Cam guy can bulletproof a Black Eye cam, that would be nasty! (and probably not allowed)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Captainicus posted:

I know blitz is pretty good but as a shield user aficionado, I'd love an explosive shield, or a shield user with one handed SMG or shotgun, or shield on the defense. shield shield shield

You can have another shield attacker if i get a defender with an Ash style grenade launcher specifically made to one shot you.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://youtu.be/E0DEyvqYZKc

All talk needs to be on for Hologram operator

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Thief posted:

you're gonna do all of these things. experiment with whatever interests you. the only downside to playing mira is that spergs will absolutely try to backseat drive you almost every match so feel free to ignore them if you aren't feelin it

the easiest way to start is reinforced miras because they at the very least you can spy through them even if you cant shoot through them

after a while the only time you will ever need to deploy on a reinforcement will be very map/obj specific locations

if you aren't comfortable altering the flow of anchoring on site then roam around and practice putting them in random areas. with proper map knowledge this becomes the most fun way to play her.

vector/shotgun is the best loadout. shotgun/pistol is fun though. you can even double shotgun if roaming for the extreme comedy option.

Thanks, looks like I'll be experimenting a bunch! Also nice to hear that the shotgun is usable. Half the reason I'm looking to get he is because of the Vector, but this week's SAS challenge reminded me just how fun pump-actions can be: https://streamable.com/98xcx :allears:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Thanks, looks like I'll be experimenting a bunch! Also nice to hear that the shotgun is usable. Half the reason I'm looking to get he is because of the Vector, but this week's SAS challenge reminded me just how fun pump-actions can be: https://streamable.com/98xcx :allears:

Her secondary shotgun has been buffed significantly in terms of wall/floor destruction, so blast away wherever you need holes. Also if you can help it, try to hold on to your gadget until the prep phase is almost done. It helps to know if there's going to be a Twitch to come ruin your day. If your team fully reinforces a wall a big wall, you can always put both of them on one wall, and knock one loose. So now you have a fully reinforced wall with a safe viewing angle and firing port.

Just try to keep in mind what's behind you though. If a broken Mira is going to result in giving attackers LOS on lots of angles, it might be wise to consider putting it somewhere else. Also be sure to tell teammates if a window gets knocked out. Nothing like running by a wall you thought was solid and getting picked off from a broken window.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

SpazmasterX posted:

You can have another shield attacker if i get a defender with an Ash style grenade launcher specifically made to one shot you.

Jack Trades posted:

It's way more common on the US servers apparently.
I don't see it that much on EU servers myself.

I rarely see it even in US Servers. Unless it's Autoswim shooting us because we never learn to not respond to him saying, "Hey, come here."

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So uh, are the servers dying for anyone else on PC? In EU if it helps.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

IronDoge posted:

Her secondary shotgun has been buffed significantly in terms of wall/floor destruction, so blast away wherever you need holes. Also if you can help it, try to hold on to your gadget until the prep phase is almost done. It helps to know if there's going to be a Twitch to come ruin your day. If your team fully reinforces a wall a big wall, you can always put both of them on one wall, and knock one loose. So now you have a fully reinforced wall with a safe viewing angle and firing port.

Just try to keep in mind what's behind you though. If a broken Mira is going to result in giving attackers LOS on lots of angles, it might be wise to consider putting it somewhere else. Also be sure to tell teammates if a window gets knocked out. Nothing like running by a wall you thought was solid and getting picked off from a broken window.

^this.

mira is one of the more complex operators that has practically infinite replayability. she can alter sightlines in such a way that only hibana can directly compare.

a good way to get a feel for the angles you can create is to play sledge and use him to mentally map out all the ways you can open smashable walls. mira can turn stuff like this into chokepoints that are so daunting most operators will just find a way to flank around unless they have smoke

you can also use miras in the way kapkan/frost hide their traps by guessing where a person's attention will be focused when approaching from a specific direction and using that against them to setup ambushes. a lot of dummies run right into the killzone without realizing it before its too late

you don't have to focus on kills though. mira can be just as good for collecting info to predict where they will breach from or as decoys to slow down their sweep. imagine walking up to the geisha room on the japan map and there is just a random mira there even though you know the obj is on the other side of the map. its safer to assume someone is in there camping so use that kind of stuff to your advantage.

worst case scenario is they use your miras against you. this shouldn't be a problem for experienced defenders that communicate where and when black mirrors open. you improvise and play around it - its what makes her so fun

many people are against opening miras but one thing that is very effective is popping them open when you are about to be overrun and need to abandon your little improvised base and eventually even shift the defense from outside in if needed

everytime you pop a mira it makes a very distinct sound that tends to grab the focus of attackers because they will almost always expect someone to be right behind it prepping a peek kill. once you get enough map knowledge to predict where the enemy will approach from you can exploit this by placing miras in retarded places and opening them from a distance as a decoy that will buy you time to disengage or flank n gank.

you can even use a 2nd mira as a fallback position to cover this. saving an extra ability use for emergencies is a valid tactic across the board so its worth keeping in mind on top of minimizing your chances of a twitch ruining your day

also if random people won't stop backseat driving your miras - when in doubt just listen to bandit because he is likely going to actually use your mira to prevent thermite

tl:dr mira owns and if you ever get bored of textbook anchoring she is probably the ultimate extension of wtf roaming rook gameplay

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also if you are playing casual be aware your teammates will blow your mirrors pretty much whenever they want even if it will actively harm them.

Mira loving rocks and is one of my top two favorite defenders but be aware some people get super butthurt about "wrong placement"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Mira owns and she's my main defender but playing her is an exercise in frustration even if you're playing in a 5-stack of people who supposedly know what they're doing.
It's still worth it though for the times when you do succeed in making her work properly though.

Flipswitch posted:

So uh, are the servers dying for anyone else on PC? In EU if it helps.

Yup. All the time.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nebiros posted:

I rarely see it even in US Servers. Unless it's Autoswim shooting us because we never learn to not respond to him saying, "Hey, come here."

Yeah, lol if you don't know how to neuter shield ops

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the first few days of the season owned because you could effectively spawn peek with smoke beauties. the dot is so quick when bloodlust is active that i'm pretty sure even a 3 speed would have trouble sprinting straight through a cloud without at least getting downed

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

A defender with a shield, frags, or claymore. An attacker with nitro or impacts. A three speed three armor op with a good gun and no gadget. Fake hostage/bomb/biohazard contaner. A one speed and armor recruit with bad guns but two respawns. A dog. A op with a helmet that lets them see camera/drone feeds without having to switch all the way so they can still look around. Ubisoft hire me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

A defender with a shield, frags, or claymore. An attacker with nitro or impacts. A three speed three armor op with a good gun and no gadget. Fake hostage/bomb/biohazard contaner. A one speed and armor recruit with bad guns but two respawns. A dog. A op with a helmet that lets them see camera/drone feeds without having to switch all the way so they can still look around. Ubisoft hire me.

Awful.

Awful awful awful.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Replace "bad guns" with " no guns but a bomb vest like in terrorist hunt".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
A defender with a claymore would result in your team destroying your claymore every single time.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

I AM BRAWW posted:

Is there an optimal attachements, post or something regarding which guns dont actually lose like shots to kill with silencer?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/6p5o30/barrel_attachments_guide_including_recommended/?st=JC5QGXBE&sh=95cb8622

Silencers aren't really worth it except a few select guns because losing damage is such a big deal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

An attacker with impacts.

Zofia?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Replace "bad guns" with " no guns but a bomb vest like in terrorist hunt".

Oh poo poo I would love that. I lose my ability to aim quickly when I get tired, which is always, and being able to allahu akbar my way through the last few rounds would be fun.

Right now I have to settle for Dokkebi/Lion/Finka.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Lesion is still my main man: monster smg (under appreciated imo), potentially the best pistol in the game, and when your gadgets are set up right, you feel omnipotent.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
He's probably my next unlock tbh.

My previous was Mira since the other post about her validated that I feel she's a really loving strong defender.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Jedrick posted:

Lesion is still my main man: monster smg (under appreciated imo), potentially the best pistol in the game, and when your gadgets are set up right, you feel omnipotent.

He is my fav defender too. His smg is the best defender gun imo.

Also with every defender when it's 1v1 with Blitz you are like "I am dead" , with Lesion it's like spider playing with it's food before eating it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I love this games kill cam