Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

interestingly enough, doing the suicide dash lets you know your exact hp total from the damage taken.

I decided to check it out on Handmaiden and Slayer since they both had dashes, both wearing 12% hp amulets and slayer with 25% more hp talent.

Slayer took 226.
Handmaiden took 512(!) damage on the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

7c Nickel posted:

Beamstaff is stupid.

4400 damage to bosses, was this on Skittergate or something?

Also, I'm guessing that damage in that case was due to abusing the crit bug, which is hopefully going to get fixed soon.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks, I obviously wasn't paying much attention when I did the tutorial.

It’s only covered briefly, I did it accidentally in the tutorial and didn’t realize I was doing it so I played a few games before realizing it was a thing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

You can, you can just also do this at HP 200. This is straight from the developer Hedge and has been confirmed in the game LUA. You probably got a crit.

Then I must of crit every single one, haha.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, things that are begging for a nerf right now: Volleybow alt-fire interacting with Blessed Shots (IMO), and the Beamstaff. There are other things that could use a tweak or two, but right now those seem like the "this is just absurdly good" candidates. Anything I'm missing? Anything that's just so weak that its not worth using under any circumstances?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I decided to check it out on Handmaiden and Slayer since they both had dashes, both wearing 12% hp amulets and slayer with 25% more hp talent.

Slayer took 226.
Handmaiden took 512(!) damage on the fall.
Oh goddamnit Fatshark.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone else had the issue since the last patch that crits aren't giving temp health if you have the talent selected? The talent for kills giving health still works but the crit talent seems bugged for me plus one of my friends that I play with.

I tried the temp health on crit talent, and TBH even if it's working, I'm not sure if the returns on it can actually match the temp health on kills talent. A deed run bugged out and sent infinite rats at my team on the fort level, and I was not getting nearly enough health back from the nonstop slaughter of slaverats. If it had been temp health on kills like my teammates had, I should've been topped off the entire time; instead, despite having the most kills in that game I was constantly floating the last sixth of the health bar.

Ravenfood posted:

Other standouts:
Ranged ones all seem really good or middling depending on what you want to do with it. A sniper weapon with Barrage seems silly, while Scrounger on a BH seems either unnecessary or stupidly good depending on how it interacts with the free shots from Blessed Shot.

I have Conservative Shooter on my Huntsman Longbow, and nothing gets me to use it regularly more than not only refunding an arrow per headshot, but getting two back with the talent. That thing is great!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tenzarin posted:

Then I must of crit every single one, haha.

It's possible that's just what happens at HP 200 on Recruit then. I haven't bothered to check. The cap is correct, though.

Ravenfood posted:

So, things that are begging for a nerf right now: Volleybow alt-fire interacting with Blessed Shots (IMO), and the Beamstaff.
The BH I'd argue isn't actually that bad since to use him properly you need to wade into and out of melee a lot. 10 seconds to cool down is still a lot. Trying to rely entirely on your Volley is just going to run you out of ammo, and unlike the Waystalker you have no way to just poo poo out arrows from thin air on a passive talent or as a logical consequence of your active. A well played BH typically ends up with a roughly equal number of ranged and melee kills at the end of a level, which is very unique for a ranged class. The other ranged go-tos, like Waystalker and Pyromancer, typically end up with like 85% of their kills in ranged.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Doesn't the repeater pistol's like 8 round shotgun blast alt also benefit from Blessed Shots?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Doesn't the repeater pistol's like 8 round shotgun blast alt also benefit from Blessed Shots?

Only the first pellet out of the gun does now. It's not awful but it's not that good anymore, and to be perfectly blunt it was always better as a meme weapon than an actual option; the Volley Bow was just more useful even during open beta.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You sure? I tried it out and all 8 shots crit on the dummy with Blessed Shots.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there some way to control the Elven Spear so you can decide when to do a trust as opposed to a swing?

It seems kind of lovely that it just comes out as one or the other in circumstances when you'd want a specific attack with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If you look, only one will red crit, which was the entire point of that tactic. Unless they changed that back quietly in 1.0.2 or something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nope. All red crits.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think if you had a group of 4 people all jumping down the opening pit in Hunger in the dark you could very quickly mark down how much damage everyone took at the end of the round and see what every class has in HP and it would only take about 4 or 5 runs at a minute each to get that info

Too bad I don't have 3 friends.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Cowcaster posted:

oh and i just thought of something else that should be mandatory to tell every new player to this game: go into the options menu and set player outlines to "always on", instead of just "on". do this right now. i don't care if it feels like cheating go do it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Coolguye posted:

It's possible that's just what happens at HP 200 on Recruit then. I haven't bothered to check. The cap is correct, though.

The BH I'd argue isn't actually that bad since to use him properly you need to wade into and out of melee a lot. 10 seconds to cool down is still a lot. Trying to rely entirely on your Volley is just going to run you out of ammo, and unlike the Waystalker you have no way to just poo poo out arrows from thin air on a passive talent or as a logical consequence of your active. A well played BH typically ends up with a roughly equal number of ranged and melee kills at the end of a level, which is very unique for a ranged class. The other ranged go-tos, like Waystalker and Pyromancer, typically end up with like 85% of their kills in ranged.

Isn't a BH with a "regain 2 ammo on crit" ranged weapon going to be swimming in ammo even if they don't make full use of blessed shots?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Nope. All red crits.

That's an undocumented change from 1.0.2 then, everyone here tested it on launch day and more confirmed the day after when twitch integration launched. Would be interesting to see how it affects bosses now since that was one of the big boss erasers in beta, but even if it does a very good job against bosses it's really just back to the status quo where the repeater pistol's good at one thing and startlingly mediocre at everything else. You're still better off with the volley bow.\

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Isn't a BH with a "regain 2 ammo on crit" ranged weapon going to be swimming in ammo even if they don't make full use of blessed shots?

? no? you would need a 50% crit rate to just break even failing the use of blessed shots. i assure you the BH does not roll anywhere close to 50% normally.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Is there any use case where Brace is decent or do I really have to switch to Volley?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Is there any use case where Brace is decent or do I really have to switch to Volley?

i mean it does okay spanking hordes

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

Is there some way to control the Elven Spear so you can decide when to do a trust as opposed to a swing?

It seems kind of lovely that it just comes out as one or the other in circumstances when you'd want a specific attack with it.

It cycles slash/stab if all you're doing is charged attacks. If you're throwing in light attacks I find the next charged attack will almost always be a stab.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Two questions: what is a “red crit” and what is a “blessed shot”?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm still wondering what the traits of choice are for ranged weapons. Melee weapons are easy enough, but most of the ranged traits rely on critical hits, which are somewhat tricky to rely on since you don't really get a lot of ammo outside of BH Saltz and the elf. Does Barrage trigger per shotgun pellet? Or should I just try for Scrounger on every shotgun/rifle/crossbow so you can get mitigate your ammo drain with some luck?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Two questions: what is a “red crit” and what is a “blessed shot”?

a red crit is a specially handled critical hit that does damage above and beyond the normal crit chance. it's the secret behind the incredible burst damage of many ranged careers.

a blessed shot refers to Bounty Hunter Saltzpyre's passive ability. every 10 seconds, or just after a melee kill, his next ranged attack is guaranteed to crit - and this crit will be a red crit.

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm still wondering what the traits of choice are for ranged weapons. Melee weapons are easy enough, but most of the ranged traits rely on critical hits, which are somewhat tricky to rely on since you don't really get a lot of ammo outside of BH Saltz and the elf. Does Barrage trigger per shotgun pellet? Or should I just try for Scrounger on every shotgun/rifle/crossbow so you can get mitigate your ammo drain with some luck?

Scrounger doesn't hit per shotgun pellet on a single target, but it DOES trigger on penetrated targets. A critical shotgun blast from a Grudgeraker or a Blunderbuss can restore literally all of its ammo if it's fired into an oncoming horde.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what's the best use for satzpyre? i wasn't really getting the rhythm of bounty hunter

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I flip-flop between HP on Kills and HP on Crits. On Recruit the HP on kills keeps me topped off pretty much constantly. I think when playing higher difficulties in theory HP on Crits would be better, especially as an Ironbreaker who may not be topping the kill charts, but my issue is not really knowing what's a crit and what's not a crit. I can never tell how often I am critting, but maybe I'm not paying close enough attention or don't know what to look for.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Coolguye posted:

a red crit is a specially handled critical hit that does damage above and beyond the normal crit chance. it's the secret behind the incredible burst damage of many ranged careers.

a blessed shot refers to Bounty Hunter Saltzpyre's passive ability. every 10 seconds, or just after a melee kill, his next ranged attack is guaranteed to crit - and this crit will be a red crit.

Cool! How do I tell when a hit is a critical hit and/or red crit?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've found most people to be good at the game on champion but I wish people would stop trying to run through the levels as fast as possible. There's always some dude in the group who thinks their pro and won't stop running head first in to baddies. I'm a tanky ironbreaker so always seem to end up trying to protect people and stop us getting flanked, but that can end up with teammates just leaving me to fend for myself.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

It cycles slash/stab if all you're doing is charged attacks. If you're throwing in light attacks I find the next charged attack will almost always be a stab.

So you just sort of have to keep track of the kind of attack you last did if you have any hope of using the spear effectively?

I might just stick to the glaive in that case. :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Cool! How do I tell when a hit is a critical hit and/or red crit?

Melee weapons made a distinct whoosh on crit (and look sweet as hell); ranged weapons color their projectile trails. The latter is harder to spot, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

4400 damage to bosses, was this on Skittergate or something?

Also, I'm guessing that damage in that case was due to abusing the crit bug, which is hopefully going to get fixed soon.

Into the Nest on Twitch mode where Twitch spawned like 3 Bile Trolls in addition to a couple naturals + the end boss. I wasn't trying to exploit it and yeah I hope it gets fixed soon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

So you just sort of have to keep track of the kind of attack you last did if you have any hope of using the spear effectively?

I might just stick to the glaive in that case. :(

the push strike is always a swing and is pretty good!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

hemale in pain posted:

I've found most people to be good at the game on champion but I wish people would stop trying to run through the levels as fast as possible. There's always some dude in the group who thinks their pro and won't stop running head first in to baddies. I'm a tanky ironbreaker so always seem to end up trying to protect people and stop us getting flanked, but that can end up with teammates just leaving me to fend for myself.

Yeah this is a broad problem, it often ends in one idiot (elf) dragging the rest of the squad into unfavorable conditions.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Melee weapons made a distinct whoosh on crit (and look sweet as hell); ranged weapons color their projectile trails. The latter is harder to spot, though.

in addition to this, a red crit always occurs as the result of a skill on the character (at this time).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the push strike is always a swing and is pretty good!

Cool. So if I'm understanding the way the spear works, a follow up attack after the push strike should come out as a stab?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I played my first champion round as beam staff lvl 17 Sienna, with 3 lvl 30’s.

We lost just before the cathedral by pack of hookrats, chaos warriors and leeches. It was a lot of fun! I had most boss damage done. Pretty sure I had a flaming skull crit because it took a disgusting amount of health off the boss.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I still have a love for the Brace though I'm not using it on my BH. It does more damage per shot than a volleybow as far as I can tell and puts it out continuously. I want to say that I'd use it on a WHC or Zealot as a dedicated "gently caress you boss" ranged weapon with enough ammo for special-sniping, but its really just not worth bringing on the BH because its constant ammo drain/DPS doesn't play as nicely with Blessed Shot (or its eventual ammo recovery). But I'm really not far into the game: I've only got Saltzpyre to 15 and haven't moved above Veteran yet, nor have I really played with the Zealot (or gone back to WHC after some talent raises).

Coolguye posted:

? no? you would need a 50% crit rate to just break even failing the use of blessed shots. i assure you the BH does not roll anywhere close to 50% normally.
Maybe, but every single time you use Blessed Shot on a volleybow you're probably going to gain you 6 shots if you've got Scrounger on it, which lets you get very liberal with your ranged weapons. Which is freeing, since up until now I'd almost completely reserved ranged weapons for special/boss-killing. I should probably be using it more against hordes, but where I am its just not necessary compared to more specialized "gently caress you guy" buttons.

e:

StashAugustine posted:

what's the best use for satzpyre? i wasn't really getting the rhythm of bounty hunter
What wasn't clicking? On veteran it was as easy as "walk up to Chaos Warrior, press F" or "pull out volleybow, altfire at special" and then "hit things with your rapier" until another taggable enemy appears, then repeat the loop.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 14, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, do people not like the flail? It seems like a pretty decent variant on the 1h Mace/hammer.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Night10194 posted:

So, do people not like the flail? It seems like a pretty decent variant on the 1h Mace/hammer.

IMO its a little too slow, but I haven't done much dooting around with Zealot and I suspect that's really the key to making flail (and 2handed sword too for that matter) work well.

I played some rounds with Twitch integration and while its a whale of a time and a super cool idea for an L4D-like, by the grace of the black baby jesus could you please give me more than zero indication that chat's donated concentration potion has forced the relevant player to drop their grimoire?

And get the gently caress rid of that forced 20 seconds of bleed damage. Just strip that option out entirely. That's not even fun.

----

I really want to try regular xbow with Bounty Hunter ever since I saw the red crit damage compared to his red crit lvl 25 doubleshot active. To wit: they were drat near the same.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Night10194 posted:

I like it, against hordes though you really need to swing > swing > block/dodge because the third and fourth swings are vertical and won't clear you from getting stabbed as well. But it's good at tossing poo poo around, wrecks shields, and has solid reach. It's probably not the best weapon on him but I don't think it's bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish you could filter out maps for quick play. Until it's fixed, I want nothing to do with Skittergate. Until it's balanced, I want nothing to do with Halescourge. Which maps do I keep on getting? Skittergate and Halescourge. I feel like a dick leaving these games in a quickplay but they're just so frustrating between the bugs and a really unfun boss fight that can wipe the party. Goodness help you if you have two grims on Halescourge.

Maps with boss unique boss fights should give extra reward to balance out the fact you have to fight a boss.