Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Skippo the Helper watched Winky the Cleaner clean with a combination of anxiety and... anxiety. He just... wasn't very good at cleaning. He was polishing brown leather with black shoe polish, and it wasn't a good look. She stepped in again, though Erator the Mesmerist clearly needed help too. She sighed theatrically. There was only one of her to go around.

"No, we just need to... what are you doing? You're cleaning the wrong... here, let me help.": 1d10+3 5 "Uh, it's supposed to look like that. Yeah, I think we made a big improvement here. Let's just leave it and do something different. No need to look back at it, it's clean. I said it's CLEAN."

(Natural 2, sucka)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Gottfried, Apprentice Badass Sorceror
16/20 hp
20/20 mana

Gottfried strides into his room, and pauses before the image of a Sorceror. The Sorceror is handsome, powerful, fearless. Aspirational.

He winks at his reflection in the full length mirror, before sweeping past it- no his cloak didn't look right that time- sweeping past, wait, try again. Sweeping past it into his apprentice dorm room Inner Sanctum.

Almost mid-day, time to refresh-

"Hey Gottfried, we missed you this morning, were just heading to the library to-"

"Halt, who enters my domain"

"Can you not, Gottfried? I just thought you might want to brush up on-"

"Do I look like someone who needs to brush up on anything? I'll pass. Now piss off, I'm busy."

Gottfried raised his hands as it neared 24 hours from his last casting of-

Clad in darkness expires, robes dispelled!
Buff- strength expires, STR returns to normal!
Buff - Constitution expires, CON returns to normal!

Gottfried casts Clad in darkness!
Unskilled-mana drain 2! Robes conjured!
Gottfried casts Buff- strength!
Unskilled- mana drain 4! STR increases... marginally
Gottfried casts Buff - Constitution!
Unskilled- mana drain 4! CON increases... marginally
5 temporary HP gained!

Gottfried sat down in his chair, picked up the Grimoire and flicked through it, reading snippets of spells. Easy. He threw it back down lazily, before getting up, checking his reflection again, and heading out.

Yeah it feels good to be the best.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 14, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gottfried should maybe invest in some non-magic robes until he gets more skill in strengthening himself if he wants to keep up a workforce of imps.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Whelming, The Recruitment Imp materialized on this putrid lesser plane with his Awesome Dorsal Fin intact.

He marched right into the workshop to see what had been done and what still needed doing. The most exciting news by far in his opinion was the conglomeration of a burgeoning tenancy union. Prole and Erator had done all the difficult work and Whelming was very impressed by the seeds of dissent forming in the town. But he knew he could take it one step further and make this Tenancy Union a legitimate, meaningful, historical political entity. Something that would stand the test of time.

"Mercenaries! That's what the Tenancy Union is missing! Master of combat, veterans of bloodshed! The nobles and the rich don't have any interest in joining our glorious Tenancy Union. They question our legitimacy! ... Let's see them question our legitimacy after they face our armies!"

And with that Whelming grabbed a generous helping of the gold immediately near him and ran out the door, out of the town, and into the dangerous Hill Lands.

Recruit Mercenary Clans to Fight For The Tenancy Union: 1d10+3 5

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Phleg the Imp of Anthropomorphism adjusts his eager monocle and sets about this brave task. In order to sell shoes, feet are required. More feet, more sales! Phleg sets out into the yawning night to apply this principle. Tables, chairs, stairs, chickens, trees, anything that is said to have a foot shall have have one. Or two. Or sixteen. Big, stomping, stinky human feet. Feet that practically scream for a shoeing.

Apply feet to objects and small animals: 1d10+3 6

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
I’m shocked that our Shoemaker didn’t die the first night given 19 Imps ‘helping’. Hopefully Lotti doesn’t get sold for some beans or something. Also, great premise, hopefully we get to play beyond Day 7!

Upon hearing the promise of gold, blood, cows, and an rather lackadaisical sorcerer, V’por, the SalesImp with a rather fetching necktie springs forth from the shadows!

Assessing the situation quickly, V’por declares, “What we need, is to Sell More Shoes!”

Running off into the night, the salesimp sneaks into the bedrooms of each sleeping townsfolk and whispers into their ear, “Have you seen the latest in fashionable footwear at Rodrick the Shoemakers?? Don’t be the last one to walk around town in cow dung covered old footrags!! Free fittings available on a first come first served basis, special financing available upon request!!!”

Action

> Advertising for Shoes!: 1d10+3 11 [1d10=8]

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Night 2/7

Gottfried lies back on his bed. A long day, a good day. His spell has solved all of Rodrick's problems in a single day! And now that was done, the imps were gone, forever. Or until he had need of them again. He smiled to himself. What other spells could he master?

Sitting up, he looks across to the table where-

*pop*

Imp summons continue -19 imps summoned!
Gottfried's mana drops from 10/20 to -9/20
Manaburn!
Gottfried takes 9 hp dmg!
Gottfried's temporary hp is lost! 4 spillover damage!

"What the he-"

Gottfried stands suddenly, surrounded by imps.

"I didn't summon you! What are you-"

Stallone whips his lasso out and snags Gottfried's legs, sending him flying back onto the bed. The cheeky wee thing swings over, wrapping hands in rope, pulling them tight.

"argh, what the-"

As Stallone hog-ties him, Torb approaches, a glint in his eye. Taking Gottfried's own knife, he slices deeply into his hand-flesh, re-enacting the previous night’s ritual.

"Aaaaaaaaaagh!"

*pop* *pop* *pop*

Imp summons continue -3 imps summoned!
Gottfried's mana drops from -9/20 to -12/20
Manaburn!
Gottfried takes 3 hp dmg!

The mystical energies released by are further channelled by Bloodkaiser who pulls the energy into their hellblade and performs the blood sacrifice (with help), infusing the impy mass with hellish energy.

Invigorated by the mana spilling into the room, Dalton, Sparx, Cheese and Pyros bound into the street, ready for some stealing! A sizable haul of cash nabbed by all, with Pyros’s invisibility illusion confusing and confounding. They get away scot-free.

The illusion washes over Brug, and mixes with their own impy magic, increasing its potency. Yes, this fake note was perfect in every way. The magic would even remove some of the traces of imps from the document once the shifting numbers settled. The masked imp grabbed Omp and Slick on the way past, did they manage to find the landlord?
They did indeed. Listening to the thoughts of the local lowlifes, and following the trail into the sewers, they tracked his essence. Perfect. They teleported back and told everyone the news, exciting!

They were not alone in looking further afield, as Prole, Erator Phleg and V’Por trod the mean streets, looking for locals.
V’Por get straight to the point, hopping into the dreams of the sleeping townsfolk and filling them with the amazing shoes available right on their doorstep! Erator tries the same, slipping into the- *ZZZZZsssssstttTT*. What was a toolmaker doing with protective wards? Well, his room was warded but it didn’t stop Phleg from grabbing a chisel and getting to work on his furniture. He was sure to need more shoes now!

Prole organises the local’s thoughts. All that chaos, all those worries, if they just channelled it into action they could get this tenancy union off the ground! Direct action against the oppressors! Maybe the imp could sweeten the deal a little…

Prole pays hooligans 2 hellmarked gold to smash stuff, advancing rent improvement by 5!

Whelming went one step further, folding a great gulf in space to bring in a professional mercenary, an enforcer for the union!

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back in the workshop, the remaining imps worked to make the shop the best it could be! One group set out to get the tools and workspace perfect. Hat took point, sweeping and brushing the scraps and cuttings. That done, she hopped back up to the top shelf and pulled the hats out, no one can see them up here! Molly vibrated behind, admiring her sign, looking over the space she had sorted. It looked so good! She rushed back and forth, oh right, it was Flux’s time dilation runes boosting her speed. Flux finished carving another rune, it was slow work, but worth it.

Midas, Winky and Skipo made some more customer focussed changes. Midas’s new shop sign, with lovely gold leaf, was sure to attract a higher class of customer. Winky and Skippo got to cleaning the shopfront, setting the offcuts that Hat and Moly had brushed up into neat, pretty, towering piles.

The workshop looked better than ever before.

-----

Rodrick awakens with a start, he had had a fitful night’s sleep, certain he could hear voices downstairs, but when he got up to check there was nothing there. He descended the stairs with some trepidation, after the previous day would the workshop be any different?
He stepped off the bottom step and paused for a moment, taking a deep breath before stepping round through the open doorway and into the workshop.
The workshop was laid out precisely. Strange piles of rubbish were stacked neatly in odd places, but his tools were sharpened and polished, his space was well organised, and there were no mysterious cows. He sighed with relief.

Sitting at his workbench, he set to work. Measuring. Marking. Measuring. Cutting. Piercing. Tidying. Measuring…

A shoeless man enters the shop. “Ah Hans, about your shoes, I’m sure you had-“

“Morning! No time Rodrick, I really need those shoes! Ah, perfect, thank you! I’m sorry I really must dash, give Lotti and Tilda my regards.” He moves to leave, but notices a new display.
“I didn’t know you made hats! They look lovely, here- I’ll take this one.”

Tipping his new hat, Hans departs. Rodrick opens his money pouch to find it overfilled, full of silver, more than enough to cover the rent. He does not know how to react.

After a while, Lotti joins him. Watches and helps him cut and prepare the leather. Tilda watches them for a while, before heading out back.

Over the day, others visit, drawn to the novelty of the hats, and many are sold. They share gossip about a spate of burglaries, and unrest, but leave with a smile. The shoemaker continues working happily, until the evening draws to a close and the family head back upstairs to bed.

shoemaker prepares leather - material converted!
Shoemaker trembles slightly!
Shoemaker is euphoric!
Shoemaker's apprentice is euphoric!
Shoemaker’s apprentice can’t sit still!
Shoemaker's apprentice learns...
Shoemakers apprentice makes progress

Customers?: 1d10 5
1 pair of shoes sold – preorder- 0 cash!
4 hats sold : 5 cash!

Angelic interference - None! 0 Halos awarded. Wait... Stallone ignores bindings! Angelic interference raised to -1!
13, unlucky for some- Triggered! - 2 imps gets lucky!
Brug and Stallone can choose to EITHER get an additional distinguishing feature, OR take two actions in the second night. Stallone picks cowboy hat!

Currently active:
Current night 2/7

Capture Gottfiried 10/10
If you want to do anyting to the sorceror, you'll need to... Oh wait, you did. Well done!

Kill Gottfried 12/20
Make him bleed! Give him a kick! Is he doing OK?

Cash 23/20.
Hats 1
Shoes 0
Materials 11/11 (prepared/total).
Hellmarked Gold 3
Push back deadline 4/20
Locate landlord 12/5
There he is! Complete- and more! Spillover! Insurance scam progressed 7!
Set up insurance scam 25/20
Everything is in place... Complete- and more! Spillover! Cover up impvolvement progressed 5!

Cover up impvolvement 5/10
Imps leave traces, if your insurance scam is to go undetected, you just need to make sure there is no magical trace left for anyone to find. You don't need to do this really, it's just a precaution.

Burn it to the ground 0/10
Destroy the shop! Consume it in hellfire! Fairly simple to get started, but you need to make sure everything is gone.

Improvements
Improve something! All improvements can also go into negatives.

Cashflow 8/20
Productivity 7/20
Shopfront 10/20
Rent 16/20
Imps! 10/20

Shoemaker Dropbox
Shoemaker results spreadsheet

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 17, 2018

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dalton gives a little nod of approval at the mad stacks the burglary crew has manages to rake in overnight, but it feels a longing in ita guts. It had been away from its beloved trash for far too long.

Conjuring a small trash bucket, Dalton goes about picking up mementos to add to its ever growing cloud of rubbish. Some imp leavings here, a bit of incriminating receipt from the cow processing plant pulled from the trash bin and by the time it's done skittering around the work shop things are looking a whole lot less incriminating. Dalton itself however is barely visible as the rubbish cloud begins to process its new treasures.

quote:

Covering up impvolvement in the insurance scam: 12

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

As Stallone faded out for the day, his last sight was Rodrick's visible relief at the lack of mystery cows, and despite his incredible pleasure at his new hat, Stallone scowled and seethed. This was a man who worked with leather every day! How could he not appreciate the majesty of its origins? Had he simply not been exposed to them before? This was clearly a grave inju--

--stice. When Stallone popped back in the next night, it was with a clear plan in mind. Rodrick would learn to appreciate the gift of cow. The Cow-ing would continue until morale improved. So intense was Stallone's sense of purpose, so concentrated his accumulated Rodeo Energy, that a pair of chaps--their material ripped from the flayed skin of the damned--coalesced into being around his legs. Yes. Come Heaven or high water, he would see this through. Ideally it would be done before nearby farms ran out of cows, but you couldn't rush this sort of thing. It would take time!

quote:

Rustle More Cattle!: 1d10+3 13

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Hat had never felt prouder in her (admittedly, two-day-old) life! Almost all of her hats had sold. Combined with the efforts of the others, the shoemaker already had enough money for the rent. But that was no reason to be complacent! Who knows what else might happen this week? She looked around the tidy workshop, and saw the large stack of material that had been gathered. She knew what she must do.

More Hats!: 1d10+3 10

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Now that the Landlord was located, the Imp Erator had one task in mind: Get him to reduce the rent to as low a nominal fee as possible, through the power of hypnosis.
Hypnotise the Landlord into reducing the rent to a nominal level: 1d10+3 4

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

V'Por smiled with smug satisfaction, "Well, now that customers are taken care of, time to whip this shop into shape!"

Shadow-Poofing onto a workbench, V'Por straightened out his tie and puffed his chest out.

It was time for a motivational sales-speech!

“Alright you Imps! Give me your attention for a moment! We need to crank out these shoes here! I keep hearing excuses!! You're talking about what?!! You're talking about the hammer!!! Complaining about the quality of the leather, some cow you're trying to skin!!? Well, let's talk about something important!! Put that bloody knife down!!! Bloody knives are for cobblers only!! Do you think I'm imping around?? I am NOT imping around!! I am here from the Imp Home Office!!! I'm here from Shadows so deep you ain’t never seen black that black!!

You got tools!! Rodrick paid good money for those tools! You can't build with the tools you have? You can't make shoes!? You ARE shoes, hit the bricks, Imp, and beat it, 'cause you are going out!

Remember, boys and girls: A - Always, B - Be, C – Cobbling! Always Be Cobbling!! Always. Be. Cobbling!!!

Action

> Always. Be. Cobbling!! Always. Be. Cobbling!!: 1d10+3 8 [1d10=5]

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

13 action:
Brug had decided it was time to help improve the imps to help Rodrick better. Resisting the temptation of manifesting a token reward was an odd sensation for a creature that thrived on temptation, but there was a bigger score to be had. Sneaking into the unconscious Gottfried's room, Brug grabbed the sorcerer's spellbook and tore out the pages on imps. Writing as fast and quietly as it could, Brug replaced those pages with spells for strengthening imps and lists of items that'd empower the little devils, mislabeling them as punishments for naughty ones who overstepped the unspoken rules and enjoyable but harmless rewards for ones who worked hard doing their job.

Replace Gottfried's spells with clever forgeries: 1d10+3 8

Gottfried looked dumb and lazy enough that he wouldn't notice even a half-assed fake, but Brug was a professional. It was easy enough for them to mimic the dry tone of the original. Once Gottfried escaped he was in for a big surprise.

...Ah, so that was where the landlord lived. Thanks guys. The big problem was Rodrick couldn't pay the rent if he was arrested for insurance fraud. All Brug needed to do was replace the landlord's records with ones that matched the forgeries in Rodrick's house in order to help cover up their impvolvement. First rule of surviving magical audits: "If a discrepancy's implied, they can tell an imp lied."

Make sure the landlord's documents match Rodrick's: 1d10+3 11

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Pyros grinned mischievously. It had been far too long since he'd had that much fun. What else could he do around here...that was easily enough money to pay the rent...ha ha, they got the summoner!

Pyros decided to do the mature thing and tattoo embarrassing images all over the sorcerer's face. "Leave him alive, it's funnier this way."

Using illusions to mark Gottfried's face hilariously: 1d10+3 13

Oh boy, things are not looking good for poor Gottfried

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Well, this was quite a bind! Torb loved his sorcery but the sorcerer he was helping was basically an idiot that was killing himself. He would die soon, which meant no more imps, which means rent wouldn't get paid and, again, no more imps. Which meant no more magic! This had to be fixed, quick.

So Torb grabbed the knife again and slashed open Gottfried's foot for some blood while mumbling some mystic words. He was going to summon a Succubus to keep Gottfried alive with her TLC. At least until they could upgrade to a real sorceror.

Suck-u-bus *wink*: 1d10+3 13

Success! He managed to siphon off just enough mana to bring his Blue and White Wizard Scarf over from Hell. A good Sorcerimp had to dress to impress

Slaan fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 17, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Now that he had set up the scam, it was time to collect! As some of the other imps decided to cover their tracks, that left the job of actually burning the place down to Slick and the others! Now, this wasn't normally his area of expertise, but how hard could it be? Throw some fire and it'll sort itself out quickly enough, surely.

Burn the shop down!: 1d10-3 0

...this was harder than it looks.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Oh no! There was so much to fix, and so little time to do it in! Worst of all, Gottfried was dying, having been assaulted by far too many imps at once. If he perished before their contract was up, their days were surely numbered!

Flux thought long and hard. Mortals always died, it was true, there was no stopping that. It was the when that was malleable. What if... what if Flux took Gottfrieds death-day, and just moved it around a little?

Time to move Gottfrieds inevitable death to after the contract is up: 1d10+3 = 6

Sure, he might accidentally replace the sorcerers brain with the sorcerers future brain, or even his past brain, or even keep it in a state of stasis forever, but something like that would only happen if something disturbed his concentra hey what is that over there?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Winky the Cleaning Imp popped back into the mundane plane of the humans' existence once again with his familiar coterie of fellow implings, all part and parcel of that contract they'd placed with their summoner, who...

Well, truth be told their mortal summoner wasn't looking so hot. That's what happens when you don't issue the proper command-and-bind spells on your summoned underlings - the silly, dying human was practically asking to get hogtied and cut to ribbons by his own infernal creations! Winky looked the summoner Gottfried in his panic-stricken eyes and winked several times as he considered what to do...

On one claw, there was the shoemaker's needs. On the other claw, there was the shoemaker's brother, this in-over-his-head summoner. If their summoner were to die, they wouldn't be able to fulfill their contract in full, now would they?!

Still, all that ruddy sorcerer blood. It was as delicious to drink as it was invigorating. The only problem was, it tended to spurt all over the place due to the thrashing movements of the summoner. It was making a real mess, and frankly that bothered Winky. How were they going to use the man-blood if they couldn't keep it all it one place?

"Stop struggling, silly human!" Winky commanded, insistent. "Your blood's getting everywhere!"

Winky the Cleaning Imp began cleaning the blood off of Gottfried and Gottfried's things, collecting the valuable magical-latent material for later use. Winky also managed to clean and dress the summoner's wounds in freshly-shredded linens so that the bloody sorcerer's bandages can be salvaged for their lovely red blood. Waste not, want not!

Cleaning Up All That Sorcerer Blood: 1d10+3 11

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Ohh what to do, what to do! So much thievery still to be done! Hmm. Perhaps thievery for the common good? He could go thieving for equipment and such to Improve the Imps? Yeah, that sounded good!

Thieving some imp-quipment to Improve the Imps: 1d10+3 7

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Midas looked around the shop, he had picked up that some of the other imps were setting up an insurance scam and were planning to burn down the shop. In response he decided to turn even more of the store into gold. Best case this would make it harder for the shop to catch fire, worst case it'd increase the insurance value.

Fireproof the shop by turning it into gold: 1d10+3 10

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

If the Powers that Be cottoned to a bunch of imps running roughshod over their mandate, the jig would be up, and Molly would be back to cleaning organ pipes in Count Liberace's Infernal Manse. She knew the best way to get rid of illicit evidence, aside from flushing it down a sinner's throat toilet, was to gobble it all up before the malebranche came calling with their pointies. No reason that couldn't apply here! With her keen diabolical senses, Molly searched out any incriminating vestiges of lingering mystical energy, and proceeded to snort them off any convenient surface in one, long, technicolor bump.

Snort all the Evidence: 1d10+3 4

Unfortunately, Molly was at some point derailed by a passing poofy-tailed dog, and wound up snorting the electrical power out of the trolley line instead. By the time she came to, smoking and vibrating through solid objects, it was far too late to continue her task, or even clean up the wreckage of her failed attempt. Oh well!

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Ted was pretty sure a bunch of other imps wanted to perform some insurance fraud, so improving the shop itself was quite possibly a waste of time. Instead he looked over the Shoemaker's records and looked for ways to improve his business model for future ventures. There were dozens of small inefficiencies in the business plan but the most egregious was that Rodrick's leather guy was clearly ripping him off!

Ted scribbled down a list of recommendations and taped it to Rodrick's dumb, sleeping face.

Leave Rodrick some constructive notes: 1d10+3 4

Unfortunately, many of Ted's suggestions were tailored more for a denizen of Hell than a humble earthly cobbler!

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Lotti, Apprentice Shoemaker
20/20 hp
20/20 mana

Lotti stood by the workbench, watching her father sew another pair of shoes. It was never ending! She had been watching, carrying, cutting, fetching, but the final steps were always out of her hands. It’s not like she didn’t understand, they didn’t have the luxury of losing a pair of shoes right now. But it was frustrating.

“That scowl doesn’t suit you, dear”. He ruffled her hair, like she was still a child. Gah!

“You know, with all this strangeness, we have a lot of material here to work with. Maybe it’s time?”

He passed over the leather, leather she had cut herself the previous day, and stood away from the bench. Gestured to the seat.

“Really?” Was he a mind reader?

“Really, go ahead.”

She sits on the stool and looks at the tools in front of her. This should be simpler than the cutting. Easier than measuring. It was just sewing, she did it all the time! It was just assembling, she knew every shape of every piece of leather. So why were her hands shaking?

“You know what to do, you’ve been watching. Check. Fit. Stitch. Now go ahead.”

Yes, she checked the pieces, they were all the right size. She picked up the needle, already threaded. She selected the first pieces of leather. And started to stitch them together.

Shoemaker preliminary results sheet, let me know if any problems, update planned Tuesday.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 18, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

WereGoat posted:

Yes, she checked the pieces, they were all the right size. She picked up the needle, already threaded. She selected the first pieces of leather. And started to stitch them together.

By the Imping Heavens Above, don't you make me care about another imaginary daughter that these Imps are going to kill by the end of Night 7!! :colbert:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Skippo the Helper watched Slick the Shady Dealer try in vain to start a fire. Well, good. A fire made no drat sense. How would that help? It was just... but... come on, Slick, you can't light a fire with.... GIVE ME THAT!

"Here, look!": 1d10-3 7 "...Uh, oops?"

(Natural 10, sucka)

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

"Tenancy. Yunion."

"Look, how are you supposed to be our enforcer if you can't even tell people our name? Try again."

"Tenancy. Yunion."

"I feel like that was the same as last time. Could you just, like-"

"Tenancy. Yunion."

Whelming pinched the bridge of his nose, closed his eyes and released a long stiffled sigh. "Yeah. Yep. Just like that. Perfect. You know what? I totally forgot, I have another meeting. And ... It's very important. So ... I think you've got the basics of this down. Make sure people do what we tell them to. If they don't, hurt them some. If people ask you questions, what do you say?"

"Tenancy. Yunion."

"Perfect. I have to leave. Right now. Keep - keep ... doing it. You are umm ... yeah. It's good."

Whelming marched out of the workshop and back onto the street, where he belonged. You can't recruit someone whose already with the party. And the Tenancy Union needed to grow to survive. They had acquired some ... Muscle ... of a sort. Now they could start bringing the fight to their enemies! Who were their enemies again?

... The ... Landlord? Maybe the Landlords? ... it was a place to start and he knew where to find one of them at least.

Whelming busts through the door of the Landlord's home painted in the colors of the revolution. "Slum Landlord!" He calls heroically. "Join the Tenancy Union or face the dire consequences! Don't you understand, this is the people's time! We also offer a comprehensive insurance plan! You'll love it! ... Or Die! ... And we can offer you gold..."

Recruit the Landlord into the Tenancy Union: 1d10+3 7

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Snikt, the Sharp and Pointy Implements Imp congeals from the nearby blood. He carefully walks while holding a downturned pair of safety-orange safety scissors.

"Oh, hey Torb," he says as he spots the Sorcery Imp. Snikt had done a lot of business with the Hell Wizard Association in the past, providing them with an assortment of ritual blades, pointy torture sundries and the occasional special-order hellspawn weapon of the flaming and soul-damning variety.

"Bub, that dull kitchen knife isn't gonna cut it," he snickered. "Here, this should be more your speed for imp summoning and general bloodletting."

Snikt carefully used his safety scissors to cut open the threads of reality itself, creating a portal to his little cubby in Hell's Forges. He stuck his hand through, rummaged around in a box of his rejects works in progress and pulled an ichor-dripping blade though, handing it to the Sorcery Imp with a gleeful smile.

"This'll either help you summon imps without killing this guy, or kill this guy so you can get more imps. Or something else. Either way, everyone wins!"

Summon bloodletting hellblade: 1d10+3 9

cigaw fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

]
Prole allows impself a slight grin. Yes, this is all coming together quite nicely. However, if we are to have a stable and broad front capable of withstanding the forces of reaction, we must have even more arms on our side. Now that the union already has armed thugs and mercenaries, there's only one major source left to organize....

Organize the soldiery! 1d10+3 = 5

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 19, 2018

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013

Omp reviews the situation. The imps know where the landlord is, and Rodrick has more than enough money to pay him. There should be no problems paying the rent, then! Or rather, there are no problems now.

But problems might arise before the end of the week, so the imps should probably stick around. What are the principles behind their summoning anyway? Could the imps risk banishing before the end of the week - and could that imperil the payment of the rent?! Omp gets curious... Maybe Gottfried's spell has a loophole or some other way to help keep the imps around. He starts rummaging through Gottfried's pockets for his notes.

Studying Gottfried's summoning spell: 1d10+3 4

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Bloodkaiser looked at the bound shameful sorceror. Letting him die would probably end the imp summoning spell. Then a succubus showed up. Oh. Good. She was going to keep him alive. Great. Bloodkaiser figured he should tell her she was doing a great job. Yeah. Just go there and speak to her.

He was going to do it.

Yeah.

Any day now.

plan succubus: 1d10-3 1

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Umt the Rule-lawyering imp popped into existence near the sorcerer, adjusted his rectangular horn rimmed glasses, and looked around the room, the tied up sorcerer and all the other imps running around near him.

His attention was immediately grabbed by Torb nonchalantly doing a succubus summoning. He ran over to him, "No, no! This idiot" - he waved in the general direction of the tied up sorcerer - "summoned us without enough rules, and look what happened to him! You don't want the succubus to do the same to us, right?"

"All right, let's add the following to the summoning spell:" - Umt cleared his throat, adjusted his glasses again, and began chanting the rules

"This summoning shall bind the (one and only one) summoned succubus to the following directives. These are in priority order:
1. Keep the human whose blood was used for the summoning (a.ka. Gottfried) alive.
2. Don't kill, harm, seduce or interfere with the life of Gottfried's brother (any brother in case he has multiple)
3. Don't kill, eat, maim, seduce or harm in any way any of the imps, and generally don't interfere with what the imps are doing.
4. Don't let the other humans know about your nature. If you can't keep your true nature hidden from Gottfried, make sure he doesn't talk about it to others. (succubi can appear as human right?)
5. Don't let Gottfried do any magic
6. Make sure Gottfried doesn't leave his room too much, if at all (I'm sure you can distract him with something)

In exchange you can... play with him. Just keep rule 1, and don't suck him dry of all life-force or whatever you eat. And I guess if you're still hungry you can play with some of the others at this school thing... Lots of young males running around here, full of magic and all... It's a good deal, really.
Khmmmm... that's it. I'm done."

Helping with Succubus rule lawyering: 1d10+3 7

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Night 3/7

Gottfried Lies on the floor by his bed. Tied where the imps left him, he tried to manoeuvre off the bed over to his knife, cut himself free. Instead he landed heavily, got wedged between the bed and wall.

He has had a lot of time to think about his mistakes. Alone. Ignored. Why wasn’t anyone checking in on him? He was hungry, thirsty, dirty. And his leg was craping something awful “Aaaargh!”.

*pop*

Imp summons continue 21 imps summoned!
Gottfried's mana drops from 20/20 to -1/20
Manaburn!
Gottfried takes 1 hp dmg!

“Oh noooo!”

Pyros got right up in his face with an infernal tattoo gun. It might just be marking him under the skin with illusionary inks, but Gottfried wasn’t to know! No, he would be permanently marked unless he performed the proper rituals to dispel it, rituals which were being amusingly altered by Brug. Brug cackled as they tore out pages and seamlessly melded new ones in place. New ones full of fun.

Fun aside, it was important that Gottfried survived, at least until the week ended. They were summoned for the whole week after all, if they didn’t take steps to make it all the way that would be a breach of contract! That was Torb’s argument at least, but one he knew would fly with the devilish auditors. Filling in the necessary paperwork in a compliant summoning circle, Making the necessary blood sacrifices using the very nice ichor dripping blade provided by Snikt, he brought in a succubus to look after Gottfried.

Wait wait waaait! Umt laid down some summoning ruuules. With these careful wordings, the summoning could consider this area permanently night, and so they could have eyes on Gottfried during the day (if only he had thought of that, right?). And with these protections, their source of mana wouldn’t be at risk (just as well he didn’t follow them, they were written in his book right?)

Summoning circles, a succubus, all that blood, the room was so messy! Argh! Winky wrapped up his wounds, grabbed the old ripped out spell book pages and mopped up the oozy blood. Or at least tried, Bloodkaiser kept getting in the way, pacing about, trying to gather the courage to talk to the succubus. Just move- get over- can you- someone’s cleaning here, read the sign! Oh hey, sorcerer’s blood, isn’t that useful for something?

[img]https://imgur.com/3C85USy.png][/img]

While the others delayed the inevitable, Flux knew that it was only a matter of Time before the silly sorcerer died, so why not just… move that time? Causality was more of a guide, right? Omp nodded. Time! If only they had more of it! They scrutinised the bloody, torn pages from Gottfried’s spellbook intently. There had to be something here!

Outside Gotfried’s room, Cheese snuck about. This late, all the good little sorcerers were in bed asleep. Most of them seemed a lot younger than Gottfried, weird. Anyway, they had some cool equipment set up for safely manipulating devils and demons. Yoink. Perfect for repurposing!

Stallone pops back at the distant cow herds again. A guard is posted this time, ready to stab any rustlers with a pointy stick! “Hya!” What a numpty, imps can’t be harmed by mortal weapons! Stallone blows a raspberry in the guards face and teleports another cow back to the workshop.

Erator knew exactly where they needed to be. At the landlord’s house. Slipping in, the mesmerist waved their pocket watch, implanting suggestions in the pliable mind of the la-
*boom*
Whelming bursts in, shouting about the tenancy union. The landlord starts awake and shouts out a- oh gold you say? Well, certainly, something could be arranged… Gold bribes: 1d5 5
At least, as soon as they got rid of the armed, violent mercenaries that Prole had brought in. Get them outta here!
This was the perfect distraction. Brug finished making the final changes to the landlord’s documents. Nope, no imps here. No imp interference with any documents. None. Nada. Nil.

The shoemaker slept contentedly. Ted knew this because he was standing on his face, scribbling a note. His business plan was all over the place! He was employing no damned legionnaires, his shoes were sewn with precisely zero runic enchantments and his shop was located on the mortal plane when clearly centipede-demons represented a much greater market for shoes. He taped the note to Rodrick’s face and smiled at a job well done.
Wait, Tilda is waking! “Huh, wha?” Hide?
Footsteps down the stairs. Someone shines a light into the workshop. All is silent. All is normal. Footsteps retreating back up the stairs. A pause. Back to sleep.

Phew! The imps come out of hiding. Back in the workshop, Hat was busy sewing material into her namesake. The last ones had sold so well, the unexpe- shoemaker was guaranteed to make a good profit of these! Everyone agreed! Well, except V’Por, who thought that a shoemaker should make Shoes. After waiting for the other imps to pick up their shoe game (and being ignored), the well-dressed imp sighed and got to work by themselves.
With all this activity, there was a lot of evidence here. Not just physical evidence either, but magical, mystical evidence. Molly had it in hand, step back! Snrrrk*bzzzzt*. Dalton shook his head and gathered up the magical mess she had left behind in his bucket, adding to his dust cloud.

Over in the corner, a huddle of imps squabbled over their plans. “Burn it!” “ Don’t burn it!” Midas, Skippo and Slick all had their own ideas about what to do. Ignoring the others, Midas transmutated some of the more flammable beams into hellmarked gold (which, as everyone knows, withstands the fires of hell and so is very heat resistant). Their plans foiled before their eyes, Slick conjured up a ball of flame and – something weird happens. Well at least Skippo was there to pick things back up (even if they didn’t understand why they would want to burn the place down). The helpful imp wasted no time in lightly singeing the, oh rats that’s inflammable gold now, isn’t it?

Slick’s flame fizzled in his hands, that’s weird, what was going on? Uh oh…

-----
Rodrick woke up to Tilda prodding him in the ribs. He peeled the paper from his face, full of illegible scratches? What did that say... “Listen”.

*Moooooooooo*

Rodrick leapt out of bed immediately and ran down the stairs. In his workshop there was- yes, another cow.

He looked at it in confusion. “What are you doing Gottfried?” He shook his head.

And noticed the rest of the workshop. Clean. Tidy. Three pairs of shoes neatly laid out next to 5 more of those exquisite hats. He squeezed by the cow (*mooooooo*) and moved over to inspect them. Perfect.

“How is he doing this?” Tilda asked from the doorway. “Do you even know what he did?”

“It’s Gottfried, who knows. His sorcery… I don’t know.”

“There was someone in our room last night, I’m certain of it. I’m worried. You know what he’s like, what if he…”

Rodrick shakes his head in wonder at the shoes. “I’ll talk to him. He’s coming for dinner this evening.” He sighs. “I’ll take the cow”.

“No, I’ll get it, you had plans today, didn’t you?”

Later that morning, Tilda left the house leading the new cow. The skies were dark, and fat drops of rain specked the beast’s flank as they walked down the street, attracting curious gazes from neighbors.

That left Rodrick and Lotti to work on the shoes. They worked for most of the morning, interrupted by a regular stream of curious neighbors, intrigued hat-fans, and people in need of shoes. They spread the news of the newly formed tenants union, and invited him to sign up, something he considered carefully.

Then an envelope arrived. The landlord! Did he need early payment, or more money, or…

Rodrick put the letter down. A permanent drop of 5 silver? What-How-

Later that evening, Gottfried’s place at the dinner table sat empty. Rodrick and Tilda shared a glance, as Lotti told Tilda about her day. Where was he?

shoemaker makes shoes!
Shoemaker trembles slightly!
Shoemaker is happy!
Shoemaker's apprentice is euphoric!
Shoemaker’s apprentice makes shoes
Shoemaker's apprentice learns...
Shoemakers apprentice makes progress

Customers?: 1d10 8
3 pairs of shoes sold : 3d2 4 cash!
5 Hats sold: 5d2 8 cash!

Angelic interference - None! 0 Halos awarded. Wait... Brug ignores bindings! Oh, no, it’s fine. Pyros ignore bindings! Angelic interference raised to 0! Slick receives an unwelcome visit…
1 Halo awarded! Slick rolls an extra d10 as well as his standard imp roll (i.e. in orokos- 1d10+3; 1d10). If this second d10 beats his imp roll, it replaces it, great! Buuut the angels better agree to whatever you were trying to do, otherwise they might oppose your action!
Every time the halo roll beats your imp roll, your halo is advanced to the next level. But if your imp roll beats the halo roll you can dismiss one level of halo. There are 3 levels of halo- pink, blue, white. Don’t get to white!

13, unlucky for some- Triggered! - 3 imps gets lucky!
Pyros, Torb and Stallone can choose to EITHER get an additional distinguishing feature, OR take two actions in the second night. Stallone picks chaps! Torb picks blue and white wizard scarf!

Currently active:

Current night 3/7
Kill Gottfried 8/20

Move Gottfried’s death day 1/10
IF he dies, which seems likely, you still need mana from somewhere. So what if you just moved his death-day a little later? Easy! Doesn’t help him stay alive as such, but magically extends his life if he does croak.

Tattoo Gottfried 5/5
Permanantly mark his face with tattoos. Lookin’ good! Well, not for him.

Forge spells 3/5
If any sorceror tries these, they are sure to run into trouble! And they will, you can see the library sticker at the front of the grimoire.

Sorceror’s blood 2
It’s yours now! A magical component you can use to improve spells, get mana, or the like. Potent!

Look for Loopholes -2 0
There has to be a way out of this binding!

Cash 35/15.
Hats 1
Shoes 11
Materials 0/2 (prepared/total).
Hellmarked Gold 3
Push back deadline 9/20
Cover up impvolvement 13/10
Complete! With more! Spillover to improve rent!
Burn it to the ground -8/10

Improvements
Improve something! All improvements can also go into negatives.

Cashflow 11/20
Productivity 7/20
Shopfront 9/20
Rent 26/20
Complete, with more! Spillover to more Improve rent! Improve rent: 1d5 rent dropped by 5!
Even better Rent 6/20
Imps! 23/20
Complete! With more! Spillover into even better imps!
Even better Imps! 3/20

Completed tasks!
Capture Gottfiried
Locate landlord
Set up insurance scam
Shoemaker Dropbox
Shoemaker results spreadsheet

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 22, 2018

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Imp-provements achieved!

Next imp post you make, include a vote on which boost will be applied to all imps! Whichever gets the most votes will be applied to all imps.

HORNS WINS!

Bigger Horns
Bonus to imp domain increases from +3 to +5.

Pointed Tail
Penalty to out-of-domain action decreased to -1

Fangs
Bonus to domain +4, Penalty out-of domain -2.

Bat wings
Extra action! Roll d3, apply domain bonus/ out-of-domain penalty as normal.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 22, 2018

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Snikt takes a gander around the shop and notes that his buddies have performed many improvements but they have not sorted out the tooling situation.

Leather, be it cow hide or Stygian Hell Beast flayed skin, needs a variety of sharp and pointy tools to work. Marking knives, skiving knives, punches, awls, needles, oh my! Enough to make the little imp jitter with excitement.

Know what's better than your run of the mill mild steel leatherworking tools? Hellforged leatherworking tools possessed by the souls of the damned so they help you work the leather faster! The demonic imprint they may leave on the leather is decorative!

Summon possessed hellforged leatherworking tools: 1d10+3 10

---------
Imp-provement: I'm sure that Jade the Succubus Imp has made everyone horny. :v:

WereGoat, I think you're missing a few images. I'm assuming the bolded tags like "impimage 1" are stand-ins for images.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 20, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Well, that had... worked? Sort of? Now, who was the weakest mind around? Oh yeah, there was one guy so dumb he summoned Imps!

Erator headed there, and tried to gull his foolish human mind into actively collaborating with Imp-rovements to the ritual.

Hypnotise the Idiot Sorceror into empowering the Imps more: 1d10+3 9

All this success was making him feel Horny.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

What were these imps doing! This wasn't how you started a fire. How was the cobbler ever going to collect his insurance money and pay rent if his business was still standing at the end of the week!

Striding off into the night Dalton begins to scour trash cans and compost heaps for suitably burnable kindling. It spends the rest of the night hauling crinkling newspapers into the hidden corners of closets, and shoving drying leaves and grass into the space between the cobbler's walls. Dalton was sure the cobbler would appreciate his life's work burning down around him, it had seen the payout on that insurance information and while it didn't actually understand economics there sure were a lot of numbers on that contract!

quote:

Gathering trash tinder to help burn this sucker down! 9

Time for horns! We should all be trapped face first on the ground unable to lift our enormous heads by the end of this!!!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Flux was at a loss! Nothing seemed to be going his way and time kept trucking on despite his best efforts. The other imps had already sorted the money and shoe issues, so why did he feel so.. unaccomplished?

He considered the geas; "My brother’s rent is due by the end of the week, make sure he doesn’t have any problems paying it."

Ah, it was because he wasn't fulfilling his purpose! Any old fool could have the money required to pay rent, but only a very specific kind of fool could fail to do so even if they did! That must be why Gottfried had summoned him. His brother, the shoemaker, must be a very special kind of idiot indeed!

But how could Flux make sure that the Shoemaker would have no problem paying rent, when such an easy task was so overwhelmingly out of reach for the man, as for his brother to reach beyond the mortal plane for assistance?

Well... if you want to teach an old dog new tricks.. start when they are young. And then keep doing that. Every day of its life. Until the end of time.

Flux smiled, and got to work.

Timetravel to teach the Shoemaker how to pay rent forever: 1d10+3 = 7

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Well, this was just great. Just peachy. Here Torb had summoned a nice succubus to take care of the "sorceror" for a while, and all these stupid imps had ruined it by just summoning a sexy imp instead. I mean, that imp was really good looking, sure, but a real succubus would have been so much better!

Torb rolled up his sleeves scarf and got prepared for a new casting after he poofed back into reality. He'd just have to make these other imps less stupid if he was going to get some real demon summoning going on. He got up on Gottfried's chest and got his attention.

"Listen, idiot. Here is how you are supposed to say the imp incantation. Learn by repeating after me. Do good and you'll get some water and food." He pointed to Gottfreid's snack corner. "Do bad, and well...." Torb shocked Gottfried a little with his horn-lightning. "Got it?"

Imp-provement: 1d10+3 12

Voting for Bat wings for the extra fashion

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

cigaw posted:

WereGoat, I think you're missing a few images. I'm assuming the bolded tags like "impimage 1" are stand-ins for images.

It is true, that is where the images will be edited in. But I've not drawn them yet cos I spent too long trying to draw Gottfried's face getting tattooed (looked bad, ditched) and deciding how to draw a succubus that wasn't a boobwitch.:shrug:

Should fill in the post with the missing pics tomorrow.

Edit: that's them all added now, will probably be the same next update, I am bad at time management

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Brug was running out of things to do, its options were significantly curTAILed by the poor summoning job.

Guess it was time to actually help Rodrick. He'd have no trouble paying rent now, but what if something happened in the next few days? What if customers got bored with his shoes and wanted refunds? Perhaps it was time to teach Rodrick a thing or two about forgery. No, wait, Rodrick was already suspicious about the goings on, he might order his brother to stop the magic if he found himself tampered with.

Oh wait, of course. The apprentice. No one would think it odd if she suddenly got better at making shoes and Rodrick would gain renown as a skilled teacher. Brug cast its magic on Lotti, giving her the power to imitate any design she ever saw. Bootlegus. Imitatus. Knockoffus. Duplicatus!

Give Lotti an innate talent for reproducing others' designs: 1d10+3 10

• Locked thread