Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Okay, makes sense. So far I've been sticking to things under 30ish AP so I'll keep doing that until I run out of those (although I don't use Wait Mode so I'll probably never touch that grid).

I'm assuming that, of the mega-expensive ones, the third accessory slots are a pretty big deal, at least for Noctis.

Theoretically yes, but I’ve been playing since day and still never bothered with getting that for anyone because it’s just frankly not necessary; two slots is enough.

I’d focus on techniques, stat upgrades and extending the duration of Iggy’s meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

hmm no. he means FF4 online. i'm a lv1 paladin myself, but i recently changed classes so

I'm maining Summoner right now but it feels like I've been grinding in the Feymarch for years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I'm maining Summoner right now but it feels like I've been grinding in the Feymarch for years.

When does Bard get good? It takes me forever to kill anything and all I'm good at is running away.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ugh, I never have enough MP to cast my really cool spell.. well, I'll figure something out, even if it kills me.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ugh, I never have enough MP to cast my really cool spell.. well, I'll figure something out, even if it kills me.

You should of specced moon mage. Square needs to nerf that fast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Could I get some help? My sister and I can't move. I think it glitched out when we cast a spell at the same time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Not trusting the translation is the reason I'm asking the question
I don't think the people in Narshe had a real weird dialect although I suppose they might have had rough/casual/Kansai speech. What did the retranslation turn it into?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
drg lf stable raid static, no couples drama pls

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Could you imagine how many retcons much work would be needed to turn ff4's setting into an ideal mmo?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 14, 2018

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't get it. I made an engineer, but the only skill I can learn is Self Destruct?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why is the raid boss the poster boy for the Pillsbury Dough Boy biscuits?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harrow posted:

When does Bard get good? It takes me forever to kill anything and all I'm good at is running away.
Highest stats at level 99, just stick with it, the Sea Hags don't have as many HP as it looks like they do.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kingtheninja posted:

I've decided to try beating all main games in the series this year. I've played all but lll before, and only beaten two of them I think (vii and xii).

Holy poo poo the first one makes me want to give up so badly. Just finished the ice cave and gently caress not using a guide for this game, I realize it's an uphill battle but I can't wait to start the next one.

Oh I look forward to your first experience with FF2j, especially if you're playing a NES rom and not the iOS/PSP (or even GBA) version. :laugh:

Some advice/warning:

FF1 - Ice Cave is the peak of the game's bullshit and once you have the airship you can go buy ProRings (and you should, immediately when you can afford them) for party members to make a lot of insta-kill moves useless against you. If you're playing the GBA/PSP/mobile version the game's going to be easy as hell no matter what you do tbh.
FF2 - the birth of the SaGa series of games. NES version is awful and you need to avoid it (even though it has an awesome bug for skill grinding), the mobile version's got a bunch of QoL improvements but the game is still rough as hell. Keyword dungeons can be useful for getting extra gear/grinding. One specific dungeon has a farmable Osmose spellbook in a chest, and the only way to get extra copies of the spell is as a rare drop on a rare enemy which is utter hell. Playing on the NES with heavy use of frameskip and savestate abuse would be faster, but the PSP/mobile version is a passable game with better/faster stat gains and you can't lose stats like in the NES version. Increasing your agility still means you need to play with no armor (or extremely light armor) and 1-2 shields on everyone for awhile though.
FF3 - all versions are terrible for different reasons, but the NES version sucks less than the DS/PC/mobile version. You absolutely want an emulator's save state function either way, if for no other reason than the final dungeon is a badly designed gently caress You to players.
FF4 - The 2D versions are good, the DS/PC/mobile version is 'harder' but mainly because the balance is an inconsistent joke where some bosses have an extra gimmick, or not, and some random encounters will just straight up kill you if you are unlucky with an ambush. If you make sure to get the good augments any increased difficulty is more than negated. IE: Dualcast and Omnicast (or even just omnicast) on Rosa. Rydia's custom summon is probably ok if you actually max its stats but gently caress it. Just play the SNES version or maybe the GBA version for the bonus dungeons. DS/PC/mobile version has a new game+ option that has a finite number of uses for some insane reason.
FF4 TAY - Do not play this game.
FF5 - GBA version with a SNES music/sound restoration patch is the best version.
FF6 - Same as FF5.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gologle posted:

Why is the raid boss the poster boy for the Pillsbury Dough Boy biscuits?

-- every static which imploded on a3s

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

i warned you not to main sage dude

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is it just me, or are the Crestholm Channels absurdly confusing? I spent an entire in-game day down there, and I still couldn't find Cindy's stuff or the path to the boss.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
No, that area is utterly godawful and it makes the FFXII Great Crystal almost look fun by comparison (because the map is about as useful)

There's a bunch of switches you need to interact with in order to make progress on those electrical breaker panel things but they're not obvious at all. Also you need to jump over railings at various points.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Is it just me, or are the Crestholm Channels absurdly confusing? I spent an entire in-game day down there, and I still couldn't find Cindy's stuff or the path to the boss.

Crestholm Channels is a nightmare labrynth with a miniboss in it who was by far the hardest fight in the game I had because I could not hit reliably at all due to the hosed up room size and the camera.

Use a guide to find what Cindy sent you in there for because its basically impossible to do on your own.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

There's a bunch of switches you need to interact with in order to make progress on those electrical breaker panel things but they're not obvious at all. Also you need to jump over railings at various points.

Holy crap, that is what I was missing. My guys are absurdly overpowered so I had no problem with the nagarani in the basement, but I thought those switches were background props, not interactable objects, so I ended up going all the way down, all the way back up, opening the shortcut, and then casting around for 45 minutes looking for a new path that I thought would be there.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I like Iris' fashion sense. Also that little tour of the town with her was adorable, I don't know why there's options to be a dick why would you be a dick to Iris.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I like Iris' fashion sense. Also that little tour of the town with her was adorable, I don't know why there's options to be a dick why would you be a dick to Iris.

Going on a side road trip with Iris and watching her body slam gators with her big bro was a big highlight, too.

Speaking of being a dick, are there any changes if Noctis is a dick in that journal he shares with Luna, and just fills it with meh/monotone responses instead of actually exerting effort like she is?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Omi no Kami posted:

Going on a side road trip with Iris and watching her body slam gators with her big bro was a big highlight, too.

Speaking of being a dick, are there any changes if Noctis is a dick in that journal he shares with Luna, and just fills it with meh/monotone responses instead of actually exerting effort like she is?

It changes the description of a key item towards the end of the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Coughing Hobo posted:

drg lf stable raid static, no couples drama pls

I have an open spot, I'm a steady PLD and my wife mains WHM, but if you ask her to dps with holy, I'm kicking you the gently caress out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff4 online was cool until they did the after years expansion

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It added the green hair waifu hair color option though, which was an option that, despite a major NPC having, the players couldn't actually buy, which was highly frustrating unless you grinded the Feymarch for a rare drop, but gently caress that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

It changes the description of a key item towards the end of the game.

At least that's cool, but I was kinda hoping you could get some scattered dialogue of the party going "...dude wtf, stop being a dick to your wife"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Omi no Kami posted:

At least that's cool, but I was kinda hoping you could get some scattered dialogue of the party going "...dude wtf, stop being a dick to your wife"

It does make all the scenes where she's reading what Noctis wrote and touching the book tenderly really absurd though :v:

"I am praying dearly for your safety."
"Ok"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

corn in the bible posted:

ff4 online was cool until they did the after years expansion

It let my BLM equip greatswords, and I was really happy with his new glamour set, so it wasn't all bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MNK stuck in Sylph Cave need rez or pan.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Another Tekken 7 trailer for the Noctis DLC. I enjoy how many of his outfits they actually put in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-Un21BS2w

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad that one of his victory animations appears to be just..having a seat on the Kenny bench.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I was going through Costlemark Tower earlier, thinking to myself "Geez, this is easily my least favorite dungeon in the game." Then I found the puzzle room.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nessus posted:

I don't think the people in Narshe had a real weird dialect although I suppose they might have had rough/casual/Kansai speech. What did the retranslation turn it into?

Comically Canadian

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Nessus posted:

I just checked the very beginning of the Japanese version, and at least the guards in Narshe sound pretty normal. (Given, most of what they say is angry yelling/faux bravery, which doesn't really lend itself to extended dialogue.)

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

I just checked the very beginning of the Japanese version, and at least the guards in Narshe sound pretty normal. (Given, most of what they say is angry yelling/faux bravery, which doesn't really lend itself to extended dialogue.)

I thought guards were invaders though. Its possible that the accent's were different. IGNORE ME!

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 15, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

I thought guards were invaders though. Its possible that the accent's were different.

In the beginning of FF6, you're invading Narshe and the Guard enemies are local militia/guerillas/mammoths

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

I thought guards were invaders though. Its possible that the accent's were different.

Weren't the guards Narshe-ians? I always assumed so, since you start of playing a squad of Gestahl soldiers and the guys who fight you are wrapped in bandages the same way some of Narshe's default NPCs are once the town becomes explorable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

lobster22221 posted:

No, Terra. You are the invaders.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Ahh crap you are right. Its been a while, so I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's ok, everyone in Narshe forgets as well given how later they refuse to believe the empire would invade them since they're so neutral