Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasure bear

My first souls was III so both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls feel really slow clunky mechanically but Demon's feels worse in this regard. Dark Souls is much harder but also better designed in pretty much every way whereas DeS feels inconsistent. The world tendancy stuff is obtuse as hell and having to die in the Nexus to avoid tanking it is annoying. Maybe with the online part it would be fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just finished Dark Souls 2 and all the dlc earlier this year. At first it didn't really click with me and I thought it was kinda bland, but I ended up really loving it by the end. The DLC areas and bosses are a serious highlight, really good level design and some super tough enemies. The story in 2 stood out to me and made more sense as I went through the game than Dark Souls did as I played through it. I'm looking forward to getting into Dark Souls 3 later this year, should be cool.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Yeah, Night in the Woods really hit a nerve with me since I went through a very similar situation after College. Which ending did you get? I got Gregg the first time but I'm glad I went back and got the Bea ending. I thought I did everything but I missed a ton of stuff on the first play through.

I'm... Not sure, but I think Gregg. I didn't even know I could talk to Germ. I hosed up the rats. There are things that happened that I wish I could have undone.

I should replay it but in worried that mighbt cheapen the experience.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

dark souls 3 is really cool

i got kind of fed up with the smouldering lake and couldn't figure out how to go to the boreal valley so eventually i had to look up how to get to the cathedral (for whatever reason i thought the entrance was in the undead settlement and spent ages exploring around there :()

how do i effectively counter the gross maggot dudes who kill you with bleed buildup after a single hit? just like...keeping a bunch of blood moss on hand seems lazy/expensive but if i get tagged i'm unsure what else to do :(

treasure bear

food court bailiff posted:

dark souls 3 is really cool

i got kind of fed up with the smouldering lake and couldn't figure out how to go to the boreal valley so eventually i had to look up how to get to the cathedral (for whatever reason i thought the entrance was in the undead settlement and spent ages exploring around there :()

how do i effectively counter the gross maggot dudes who kill you with bleed buildup after a single hit? just like...keeping a bunch of blood moss on hand seems lazy/expensive but if i get tagged i'm unsure what else to do :(

i don't think I've ever used blood moss because i either die immediately or can kill them/run away in time

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
playing a little Gleaner Heights these days. stardew plus Twin Peaks. it's got flaws but so far it's interesting.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Rockman Reserve

pokken is real good. it turns out that making a tekken game with pokemon characters and smash bros inputs is cool and fun.

vanisher

I'm playing dark souls 3 right now and I am enjoying it, but its owning me. I'm pretty early in.

So should I just grind enemies I can realistically kill and use the souls to level up, or die 100 times fighting the same boss hoping for a lucky roll and slash pattern to click?

Scaly Haylie

as far as "leveling up", bear in mind you'll get more power out of upgrading weapons than from pumping your stats

Koishi Komeiji

vanisher posted:

I'm playing dark souls 3 right now and I am enjoying it, but its owning me. I'm pretty early in.

So should I just grind enemies I can realistically kill and use the souls to level up, or die 100 times fighting the same boss hoping for a lucky roll and slash pattern to click?

What boss are you stuck on and what is your build? Leveling up is important but it takes a long time and a few levels isn't going to turn you into king poo poo of gently caress mountain suddenly.

vanisher

Koishi Komeiji posted:

What boss are you stuck on and what is your build? Leveling up is important but it takes a long time and a few levels isn't going to turn you into king poo poo of gently caress mountain suddenly.

I'm playing a Knight. Just using the original stuff. Upgraded to a Raw +1 sword, putting stats into strength, HP, a couple into dex.

I don't even think he's a boss but there is this dude on top of a house that morphs into this giant black demon mouth thing and there's no where to get away from his attacks since its a tiny area. I'm just avoiding him for now.

Koishi Komeiji

vanisher posted:

I'm playing a Knight. Just using the original stuff. Upgraded to a Raw +1 sword, putting stats into strength, HP, a couple into dex.

I don't even think he's a boss but there is this dude on top of a house that morphs into this giant black demon mouth thing and there's no where to get away from his attacks since its a tiny area. I'm just avoiding him for now.

You can either run up and kill him before he transforms or run past him to a ladder leading down. I don't think he drops anything essential and you can always come back later when you're big and strong.

Jolo

vanisher posted:

this dude on top of a house that morphs into this giant black demon mouth thing

Sorry dude, that's me. I'm just anxious about meeting new people and I get all fidgety and sometimes I morph and attack the area around me.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

FutonForensic

everyone in Kingdom Come greets me with " 'ey! Our friend Henry has come to see us! 'Allo Henry! Good day, Henry!" They all know my name. it's Cheers the Videogame, but the cheesy ambience and will-they-won't-they tension is replaced with wanton illiteracy and horse manure

Koishi Komeiji

FutonForensic posted:

everyone in Kingdom Come greets me with " 'ey! Our friend Henry has come to see us! 'Allo Henry! Good day, Henry!" They all know my name. it's Cheers the Videogame, but the cheesy ambience and will-they-won't-they tension is replaced with wanton illiteracy and horse manure

Is that game any fun? It looks like they got The Witcher and took out all the magic and monsters and fun.

FutonForensic

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Is that game any fun? It looks like they got The Witcher and took out all the magic and monsters and fun.

most games are gonna come up short compared against Witcher. i've enjoyed it as a Bohemian Countryside Tourism game, but also the combat and simulation stuff all come together in a weird way where I feel satisfied for being able to overcome it.

all that being said, there's a few game breaking bugs, one of which i've personally run into, which make it pretty hard to recommend due to that alone

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Anyone else wasting incredible amounts of time playing stellaris? I've been playing the beta and the whole space crusader kings thing is kinda working.

----------------

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

vanisher posted:

For the most part you don't get away from attacks in Dark Souls, you dodge through them.

Theotus

Friends, you should snag Vermintide 2 and kill some rats. Very good fun.

beer pal

UWBW posted:

I'm... Not sure, but I think Gregg. I didn't even know I could talk to Germ. I hosed up the rats. There are things that happened that I wish I could have undone.

what id you do to the rats you monster

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

UWBW

beer pal posted:

what id you do to the rats you monster

I think I forgot a night them once or twice

beer pal

do they.... die

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
kingdom come play melard is janky but sometimes poo poo falls together in an amazing way. pro tip: always be drinking

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

UWBW

beer pal posted:

do they.... die

I'll never tell.

vanisher

Got the monster roof dude!

ScrubLeague

the warhammer mousegame is very good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

vanisher posted:

Got the monster roof dude!

I hope you weren't too hard on our pal, Jolo.

Jolo

for my final morph... . I become... a skeleton.... one final joke.... t-t-time to bone... wait... uhh, bone voyage, murderous traveler *dies*

Koishi Komeiji

UWBW posted:

It doesn't cheapen the experience you have to play through the game at least two times to see everything. There's a lot of times in the game where you can either hang out with Gregg or Bea and if you pick one you can't do the other. It's the only thing about Night in the Woods I don't like. They should have just structured the game so that you can do all the hang outs in one playthrough. Most people don't even realize they're missing stuff and not a lot of people have the time and patience to play through a game like NitW twice.

vanisher

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I hope you weren't too hard on our pal, Jolo.

Sorry Jolo

Yeah dashing and slashing him before he morphs is the easiest way. Just beat the second boss. I can see why people really like dark souls 3, its rewarding when you overcome very difficult dudes (or knight dogs).

Killed the red eyed blue lohric knight standing in that area on the left once, then died like 10 times trying to kill him again, thinking he'd drop some neat armor or something. Just looked up his loot table and it looks like he drops the same stuff as the regular knights

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Jolo posted:

for my final morph... . I become... a skeleton.... one final joke.... t-t-time to bone... wait... uhh, bone voyage, murderous traveler *dies*

This made me smile

Koishi Komeiji

vanisher posted:

Sorry Jolo

Yeah dashing and slashing him before he morphs is the easiest way. Just beat the second boss. I can see why people really like dark souls 3, its rewarding when you overcome very difficult dudes (or knight dogs).

Killed the red eyed blue lohric knight standing in that area on the left once, then died like 10 times trying to kill him again, thinking he'd drop some neat armor or something. Just looked up his loot table and it looks like he drops the same stuff as the regular knights

That guy sometimes drops the Lothric long sword which is an extremely good sword for that early in the game. I used it for almost the entire game and only had to swap it out for Yhorm's Great Machete for the last 3 bosses of the game.

treasure bear

Butchers Knife! Butchers Knife! Butchers Knife!!!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

That's a KNIFE!

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Mega Man ZX is a great game. I haven't played it in like ten years and it's still solid af if not frustrating as hell.

e: I think the thing I really like about ZX is that instead of just getting weapons after every boss (that you're probably only going to save until you get to a boss that's weak against it anyway. If you're me.)
Instead you acquire "Biometals" which let you take on various forms with different abilities as well as weapons.

e2: Here's another thing. The game over/respawn system isn't too much unlike Dark Souls but without the Souls :thunk:
Big open world with all levels connected, save points scattered throughout, and difficult enough that finding one gives you the same "Oh thank GOD" feeling finding a Bonfire does.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 15, 2018

vanisher

Koishi Komeiji posted:

That guy sometimes drops the Lothric long sword which is an extremely good sword for that early in the game. I used it for almost the entire game and only had to swap it out for Yhorm's Great Machete for the last 3 bosses of the game.

I'm gonna get that sword

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

treasure bear posted:

Butchers Knife! Butchers Knife! Butchers Knife!!!

I'm happy for you, friend.

----------------

treasure bear

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm happy for you, friend.

i appreciate my friend drilldo squirt

Jolo

Jolo posted:

Monster Hunter World. Everybody is saying this is good, but like, I've played the demos for all of these and it just feels like you're mashing attack on a big monster for a half hour. I feel like I'm being gaslit everytime I see people loving Monster Hunter so much. I like the cats and I like the look of MHW, but I'm hesitant to jump in because it still looks like lots of hitpoints the game to me.

I posted this a month and a half ago. Now I'm sitting on 100+ hours of Monster Hunter World. A demo just doesn't capture the magic of the whole experience of working towards a cool weapon or piece of armor to make a hard monster a bit more manageable, then learning the monsters quirks and how to avoid getting stomped by it. Then repeating this process again and again as the monsters become more and more deadly. It's a cool game in that there seems to always be more depth to the systems or tricks to play around with to maximize your enjoyment of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve

Koishi Komeiji posted:

that guy dropped a refined gem for me or maybe it was what he was staring at but either way A++ treasure

also once you're leveled up enough that area is kinda easy to grind for souls in because of that dude, he drops like 1150 or something ridiculous like that, just stagger+critical him