Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Basketball wise, people always point to no more final fours after winning it all his first year, but 2003 and 2005 were arguably his best teams, and were one Dwyane Wade and one double overtime loss to Michigan St away from two more final fours. Win even one of those games and I'm not saying he's still here, but would have been well beyond 2008.

I maintained that stance regarding Tubby for the longest time as well. Tubby wins that Michigan State game there's no Gillispie and no Cal at Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The two following years of Billy Gillespie did a lot to change their perspective. Hell, they gave Joe B Hall the same treatment at the end of his tenure too, and that gave us Eddie Sutton and a near death penalty.

For what it's worth, I've always liked Tubby and was kind of sad how he was treated by our fans, and this being the state it is I'm sure race had something to do with it. Basketball wise, people always point to no more final fours after winning it all his first year, but 2003 and 2005 were arguably his best teams, and were one Dwyane Wade and one double overtime loss to Michigan St away from two more final fours. Win even one of those games and I'm not saying he's still here, but would have been well beyond 2008.

I think it's funny that Tech tried out both Tubby Smith and Billy Gillespie. Tubby got the team back on the right track after the disaster that was BCG.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted Tubby to come to UVA after Leitao was canned. I was pretty pissed when they hired some guy named Tony Bennett.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok so where do I get a Loyola Ramblers hobo mascot tshirt to go with my fgcu dunk city one

Loyola is sweet sixten bound baby

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Loyola is way too trendy an upset pick to actually happen (also the Valley was extremely assy this year)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

Loyola is way too trendy an upset pick to actually happen (also the Valley was extremely assy this year)

yeah but of my two alma maters they have a lot better chance than loving illinois who hasnt made it since the stone age

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mastershakeman posted:

Ok so where do I get a Loyola Ramblers hobo mascot tshirt to go with my fgcu dunk city one

Loyola is sweet sixten bound baby

You live like 3 miles away from their campus man, it can't be that hard to go get one.

Edit: Find a Rambler fan on the Metra quiet car and cut them in half and take their shirt.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

You live like 3 miles away from their campus man, it can't be that hard to go get one.

No one should go to Rogers Park if they don't have to

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Miami has been really bad after Bowen went down, so that's some of it

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

Hey, they beat Florida at Florida!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Speaking of how bad the Valley is, Evansville is shitcanning Marty Simmons, may he rest in peace. The main argument is that the Aces suck (this is true) and a team that used to sell out now barely draws 3,000. My answer to both those things is "who gives a gently caress"

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Matta turned Georgia down lol

Rick Pitino come on down

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

UK didn't fire Tubby

but Memphis sure as hell did

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Why are UGA and GT so poo poo at b-ball? Atlanta and Georgia itself have tons of talent.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Matta turned Georgia down lol

Rick Pitino come on down

Gerogia should hire Petino Jr

That way Rick Pitino is still around, but not in any official capacity

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Gerogia should hire Petino Jr

That way Rick Pitino is still around, but not in any official capacity

Pitinio Jr is a really bad coach

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Why are UGA and GT so poo poo at b-ball? Atlanta and Georgia itself have tons of talent.

GT has been good but has made bad coaching decisions. Georgia I think is like most of the SEC and doesn't care enough to invest heavily in it. Like fox made the tournament twice, never won a tournament game, and still got almost a decade

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 14, 2018

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The SEC is starting to invest a lot in basketball now, thanks to that SEC Network money :getin:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I should have maybe phrased that past tense for most of the conference, there has definitely been an uptick recently.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tech has always been decent and were scary when Cremins was in charge. The last few coaching changes have been increasingly bad.

Georgia didn't care about basketball until the late 1970s. No one in the SEC outside of Kentucky did, really, and is evident by the quality of their gyms. Florida played in a glorified high school gym (Alligator Alley), Auburn played in an aircraft hangar and Georgia's gym was so bad that Kentucky refused to play in it, despite being annual opponents.

The in-state recruiting for both are terrible. Arguably the best in-state pick for Fox was J.J. Frazier, who came out of essentially a church league. The school was raided by Homeland Security for housing its boarding Latino students in a moldy gym.

I'm assuming neither Fox nor Tech's array of coaches have many ins with AAU coaches. AAU coaches run metro Atlanta basketball.

Georgia hasn't been taken over basketball academies, ala Oak Hill or Findley Prep, and the top players play at public schools. But there are a ton of transfers at metro schools and players go with where their coaches land.

Anything outside of metro Atlanta is generally seen as inferior by scouts (and by many metro teams themselves). It's rare that non-metro teams win in the bigger classifications. There is a big dip in talent, but there are players out there. One ACC coach from out of state landed a player just because he showed up in person. Neither Georgia or Tech had bothered to recruit the kid. Georgia is up and down with recruiting non-metro players, but neither seem to want to put in the effort of finding the gems. With many of the top non-metro kids playing in the summers for AAU teams and with video everywhere, it's hard to fathom they're ignored, but they are. Tookie Brown was from a high school 40 minutes south of Athens. He's starring at Georgia Southern.

That said, there is also a huge difference in the style of play for metro teams and quality non-metro teams. South Georgia teams generally play much more physical.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
News:
https://twitter.com/CChanel_G/status/974039970141888512?s=20

Views:
:stare:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Edit misread

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, even Dominique Wilkins doesn't give a poo poo about Georgia basketball. I think he's been to like one game since he retired from the NBA and he's basically never seen doing much with the university.

It also hurts that sports fans in Georgia are notoriously fickle and much like every team in the state that isn't Georgia football, the basketball team has to get good first then (maybe) the fans will show up.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 15, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why did I pick MSU over Duke? Coach K is 11-1 against Izzo.

I have MSU winning it all. RIP my bracket in advance.

That's right, Duke is gonna win it all. All that talent.TM

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Henchman of Santa posted:

No one should go to Rogers Park if they don't have to

rogers park owns wanna fight about it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

rogers park owns wanna fight about it

I would but it's a huge pain in the rear end to get up there and it's a swirling tundra by the lake

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Josh Lyman posted:

Why did I pick MSU over Duke? Coach K is 11-1 against Izzo.

I have MSU winning it all. RIP my bracket in advance.

That's right, Duke is gonna win it all. All that talent.TM

Obama has MSU beating Virginia in the final.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VanSandman posted:

Obama has MSU beating Virginia in the final.

I doubt Obama's paid enough attention to the sport this season to know about the Hunter injury and what it entails.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, that cross over

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Ohio State is dying quickly

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Glumslinger posted:

Ohio State is dying quickly

You should start posting in the gameday thread about it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
poo poo, no wonder this thread seemed to slow :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Before the video started, I thought this was a women’s tournament game or something based on the crowd

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there a good way to watch this Davidson-UK game from Canada? Looks like it's gonna be a wild finish.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 16, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tadashi posted:

Is there a good way to watch this Davidson-UK game from Canada? Looks like it's gonna be a wild finish.

I guess March Madness on Demand isn't available there?

Check reddit ncaa streams, I have checked none of these but I'd imagine they work.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if you don't like Loyola because of Sister Jean, their Gryffindor scarves, or that 3 pt shot to win today, you have no soul

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

tadashi posted:

Cbs if you have cable

Edit: little late now since it's over

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crean is at Georgia. So good luck with that I guess.

https://twitter.com/ugaathletics/status/974451526432309248?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's fine. They were excited to hire a guy who physically cannot coach like two days ago

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Let's clap in celebration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
UK's 3-pt streak ends after an NCAA record 1047 games. Last game without a 3 was November 26, 1988. Judging by Twitter people are legit upset about it, because our fan base is insane. I actually think it's pretty impressive to score 78 points and win without hitting one. And any win in March is better than keeping a cool but overall meaningless steak alive.

• Locked thread