Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Probably vault dwellers and drifters from other regions. I sort of imagine people in a post-apoc setting would be drawn to rumours and legends of the Ancient Capital from the Before Times. People also ask why the Brotherhood Of Steel and the Enclave are so horny for the Capital Wasteland and the answer seems obvious to me: historical significance, the same reason Bethesda set the game there

I guess I also like coming up with fanfictiony explanations for holes in the lore more than just pointing out the hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Byzantine posted:

Other than Underworld, none of the settlements in Fallout 3 are older than 80 years or so.

I remember someone in Megaton talking about how it was founded because people were taking shelter in the enormous crater right after the bombs fell. They built it into a shelter that turned into a town because it was the safest place for them to stay, even if it happened to be surrounding a loving bomb.

So Megaton would have to been around since the start. Same goes for Little Lamplight since the kids were originally stuck in there with the camp counselors before forming their weird little toddler government. Don't remember enough about the rest to know when they were founded.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

So where did everyone else come from? How did they maintain enough people to even have a population when they’re all scattered independent survivors in an area that can’t even really grow crops?

Like I said above, the current settlements are the result of a broader population falling back to and reinforcing their most defensible towns within the last half century or so due tovault 87 getting worse. It probably wouldn't have been sustainable for much longer, but now that the Brotherhood is free to help clean up the super mutants and vault 87 is runningout of FEV, things should improve.

Internet Kraken posted:

I remember someone in Megaton talking about how it was founded because people were taking shelter in the enormous crater right after the bombs fell. They built it into a shelter that turned into a town because it was the safest place for them to stay, even if it happened to be surrounding a loving bomb.

Yeah, it was founded by people who'd been trying to get into 101 after the bombs fell. It became successful as a trade post, then built the walls about 80 years ago because its success attracted trouble, and then the walls meant it expanded dramatically as a result of the safety it could offer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 16, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Internet Kraken posted:

So Megaton would have to been around since the start. Same goes for Little Lamplight since the kids were originally stuck in there with the camp counselors before forming their weird little toddler government. Don't remember enough about the rest to know when they were founded.

I think Megaton's about 80 years actually, the woman who tells you about the founding of the town says either she or her mother was young then

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

So where did everyone else come from? How did they maintain enough people to even have a population when they’re all scattered independent survivors in an area that can’t even really grow crops?

there are tons of abandoned places/taken over by Raiders/Mutants in Capital Wasteland, you can easily hand wave that people came from everywhere, even outside the playable map since Fallout 3 map is not that huge

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think you need to think that hard about why people still live in the Capital Wasteland. There is, obviously, tons of valuable tech to be found there which is why caravans give a poo poo about it. As for random civilians, they don't really have anywhere else to go. Trying to cross huge tracts of wasteland (the world is supposed to be much bigger than it is in the game) without supplies is suicide.

People manage to survive there. Barely, and poorly, but they manage.

2house2fly posted:

I think Megaton's about 80 years actually, the woman who tells you about the founding of the town says either she or her mother was young then

It might of only formerly become a settlement in the last 80 years but I remember the story being that people took shelter there when the bombs were still falling. Mainly because your character asks "why the gently caress are you people living around a bomb" and its explained that it was just the safest place at the time and they figured well it hasn't exploded yet so it probably won't ever!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Not hard to believe that after a major, worldwide catastrophe that a lot of the population was scattered after a mass die-off. Would take time for populations to stabilize and society to slowly coalesce back together in functional communities. In the meantime plenty of people probably hunkered down in small groups where shelter and resources existed. Others lived a more transient life wandering around and picking through ruins for left over food and clothing.

Megaton itself was established right after the war by survivors who couldn't get into Vault 101. It was only in the past 40-50 years before you arrived that increasing raider and mutant attacks forced the inhabitants to fortify the town.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

corn in the bible posted:

when you play fo3 you get the idea that most of the people are just kinda waiting to die

Hell, same.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also worth noting that Bethesda worlds tend to be at least a fourth of their story size/how they're treated. Canonically Cyrodil doesn't sail their boats on a stream you can walk through in 30 seconds.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a wonder how there is any geographical history to the capital wasteland when everything is so static. Fallout 4 got better about it with stuff like the minutemen civil war and the Commonwealth provisional government, but I can't think of anything with a history to it in fallout 3 outside of context for why the brotherhood and enclave are even in DC

Even in FO4 though, you can't actually clean up any of the major enemy bases. Gunners Plaza will always respawn, as will the skyscrapers full of super mutants.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Liquid Communism posted:

Even in FO4 though, you can't actually clean up any of the major enemy bases. Gunners Plaza will always respawn, as will the skyscrapers full of super mutants.

You can chalk that up to "its a video game".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Internet Kraken posted:

You can chalk that up to "its a video game".

It's a missed opportunity for a quest chain.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bethesda please HD Remaster Fallout 3 and NV at this year's E3 pleaaaaaaase

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I think the idea is that the East Coast crawled out of their Vaults 30-50 years later than the West. This makes sense because winds blow from west to east, so the East Coast was getting bathed in the country's fallout, while the West got clean-ish air from the Pacific.

This is reinforced by stuff like the Super-Duper Mart still having a lot of food. Those raiders must have discovered it only a few months ago.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

frajaq posted:

bethesda please HD Remaster Fallout 3 and NV at this year's E3 pleaaaaaaase

new vegas, now with settlements

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I would not trust Bethesda to remaster New Vegas.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

There's a mod that lets you do this, it's pretty cool. Suffers a lot from the usual issue with player-set structures (i.e not preventing your computer from rendering stuff behind them, so you end up with sever fps drops once you've built it up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I actually want this. I loved scavenging loot in New Vegas, and I liked that I basically scavenge an entire building in Fallout 4. I'm all for more stuff to scavenge.

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout threads... fallout threads never change...

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

asking what NPCs eat since 2008

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

frajaq posted:

bullets

e: wait no, LEAD

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

frajaq posted:

Well, since the Shandification of Fallout video at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Arcsquad12 posted:

The what

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Neurolimal posted:

Also worth noting that Bethesda worlds tend to be at least a fourth of their story size/how they're treated. Canonically Cyrodil doesn't sail their boats on a stream you can walk through in 30 seconds.

Some day we might get our sandbox in full scale and it will be glorious as we spend literal days trekking through wilderness and starving to death because we turned on survival mode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Google maps just released an API and unity integrations, and one of the features is generating themed playable unity maps based on the existing real life buildings and structures, but, like, medieval versions, or post-apocalyptic, or whatever. The idea being you can make a location-based AR game where you're wandering around the real world map but your phone shows it as <game setting>.

Anyway, it's a step closer to the dream of someone making a fallout online game in a procedurally created from reality 1:1 real world.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 16, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MikeJF posted:

Google maps just released an API and unity integrations, and one of the features is generating themed playable unity maps based on the existing real life buildings and structures, but, like, medieval versions, or post-apocalyptic, or whatever. The idea being you can make a location-based AR game where you're wandering around the real world map but your phone shows it as <game setting>.

Anyway, it's a step closer to the dream of someone making a fallout online game in a procedurally created from reality 1:1 real world.

Now you can walk across the Mojave desert...in real time! Wallow in the immersion of taking 10+ actual hours to walk from the Hoover Dam to Vegas!

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a missed opportunity for a quest chain.

I too love games where every generic enemy location can be turned into a home base and each has a unique quest to do so, such as ...

And who could forget ...

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 16, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wolfsheim posted:

Now you can walk across the Mojave desert...in real time! Wallow in the immersion of taking 10+ actual hours to walk from the Hoover Dam to Vegas!

10 hours of walking with a cazadore every 100 ft. The true New Vegas experience!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

There's a market for that.

One of the biggest criticisms on Euro Truck simulator was stuff like "It's not realistic that you can drive from Berlin to Paris in 3 hours"

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund
If they can contain it to pirahana bytes level jank, loving around and slaughtering my home town of ghouls and doing radiant quests anywhere in the world sounds pretty fuckin cool. Also a game like that would probably be less likely to have a voiced PC so that’d please the anti voice hardcore RP crowd maybe?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

sick brunch kills posted:

If they can contain it to pirahana bytes level jank, loving around and slaughtering my home town of ghouls and doing radiant quests anywhere in the world sounds pretty fuckin cool. Also a game like that would probably be less likely to have a voiced PC so that’d please the anti voice hardcore RP crowd maybe?

I'd be more supportive of voiced PC it it didn't automatically translate to fewer options. Like if you set your intelligence to low in FO1 your character becomes Timmy from South park because having someone write an extra set of lines for everything didn't cost a lot of money.

Even New Vegas has checks for all kinds of stuff in dialogue which branches out quests for a number of solutions.

FO4 has 4 options for any question of which 2 often share PC response.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still want to know about this.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Vavrek posted:

I still want to know about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0

TLDR: New Vegas had thought put into why and how it's setting works, Fallout 3 just has stuff in it because someone thought it would be neat.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 16, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

tldr; "where's the farms?!"

"there are no farms because the water is poisoned, hence the main quest, Liam Neeson says this to your face"

"BUT WHERES THE FAAAAARMMMMSSS"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

okay now someone defend the vampires

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Vampires are nature's natural defense mechanism to control the werewolf population that now roam the nuclear wastelands that surround the DC area unchecked.

I don't see what's so strange about that?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Byzantine posted:

tldr; "where's the farms?!"

"there are no farms because the water is poisoned, hence the main quest, Liam Neeson says this to your face"

"BUT WHERES THE FAAAAARMMMMSSS"

And somehow they haven't exhausted the 200 year supply of packaged foods.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The guy wasn't really pointing out plot holes, his point was that New Vegas is more effective as a non-linear narrative experience because there's more details which place something in relation to the world and other things in the world, so you can go to Goodsprings and see they've got pack animals and grow corn in their yards, and you can find Legion soldiers next to an open radioactive waste container in Searchlight which lets you put the pieces together of how the NCR camp got destroyed and how the Legion was able to establish a foothold on the west side of the Colorado and sack Nipton, all without needing anyone to say anything. Of course people do say things as well, but it's the thought that counts

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Keeshhound posted:

And somehow they haven't exhausted the 200 year supply of packaged foods.

Some sort of nuclear preservative

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The food is ghoulified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Honestly that's (marginally) less of an issue than that there's anything left to be found at all. Even with a drastically reduced population it's really hard to believe they didn't run out by year 20.