Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

Honestly for me, 2-3 months. It's unlikely you'll get a job in 4 weeks of applying.

hm, guess i’m starting this weekend.

:yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah why not as soon as possible and letting them know what your plans are? either they can make it work or they can't

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Hi *******,

I came across your background and wanted to reach out to discuss a new role we're working on. We partner with Elon Musk and our SVP of Engineering for our engineering leadership searches.

We are looking for someone to lead all Cloud Engineering at Tesla. At a senior leadership level we are looking for someone with a proven track record in defining, building, and scaling cloud platforms and other large distributed systems. Building this at Tesla will allow us to scale Model 3 (and beyond), to optimize OTA updates, to monitor the supercharger network in real-time, to vastly improve autopilot, build our ride sharing program, Tesla Music, and a host of other extremely interesting and technical programs. By doing this in house we will have complete control over long-term engineering decisions and develop cloud engineering as a core competency at Tesla.

One particularly interesting aspect of this role is this person will be responsible for not only growing the team, but also defining the long-term technical direction of Cloud which will impact many other teams given how they all interact with one another. Getting the Cloud team there will start with hiring a great leader and we expect this team to grow by a factor of 8x over the next couple years.

Please let me know if you’d be open to having an introductory call!

working with ole musky directly that sounds great!1

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

think you'd get fired if you said "ol musky" to his face?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah why not as soon as possible and letting them know what your plans are? either they can make it work or they can't

yeah i think you guys are right. i was hoping i could line up in-person interviews more easily by waiting a bit, but i’m just going to start now and if people move faster than expected oh well.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

Sorry this breaks down a bit through external recruiters. They will 100% lowball you to the company and even if you refuse to give them a number they'll make up a low one for you. gently caress external recruiters.

The principle is still sound though so we'll see. They'll have a number in mind before talking to the recruiter

Hoowfully it works out, I told the external recruiter a pretty high number and he said "they should have the budget for that", for comparison i have told the same number to many other rando external recruiters and they tell me to politely gently caress off

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Lol got an interview for next week. Time to negotiate for big figgies.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ok so whoever said recruters can't tell time is correct. the one what ghosted me two weeks ago asked if i still wanted to talk

i set up another call and they failed to call me again yesterday

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HoboMan posted:

ok so whoever said recruters can't tell time is correct. the one what ghosted me two weeks ago asked if i still wanted to talk

i set up another call and they failed to call me again yesterday

recruiters are dipshits across the board

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah i think you guys are right. i was hoping i could line up in-person interviews more easily by waiting a bit, but i’m just going to start now and if people move faster than expected oh well.

Also, if you're the right candidate, companies will wait for you.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
those who can, do

those who cant, recruit

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

FMguru posted:

those who can, do

those who cant, pm

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

those who can, do

those who cant, will definitely call you at 2pm yes sir!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Hi OWLS!

I love your background I am searching for a talented DevOps Leader for with my rapidly growing PAAS client to sit in either Downtown, [City] or [Other City], [State]. Your experience with [Misspelled name of current employer] and [Previous employer] seems right in line with whatmy client is searching for!

To explain further, my client’s Cloud based Web and Mobile PAAS already has a strong customer base on the platform with top industry investors. Due to this growing demand, they have an aggressive growth strategy to continue scaling the platform and team ASAP. This is a key hire on the tech team, and along with a competitive base salary and bonus, this position will also offer Equity!

My client is transitioning into hyper-growth mode, so this person will be responsible for designing, maintaining, and monitoring the whole infrastructure, automation, and CICD pipeline as their application grows 100-1000x in size over the next 12-24 months. This is a great opportunity for an experienced DevOps Engineer looking for a new challenge where you can take your acquired skills and apply it towards owning a project to build out an entire DevOps strategy and CICD pipeline. You will have creative autonomy to contribute ideas to technology selections and architectural design, routinely reviewing technology trends to identify potential value of new tools, frameworks, and patterns. The entire applicaiton is containerized and distributed through Docker, deployed on Docker Swamr, and Digital Ocean is the infrastructure Provider. They are using the Atlassian stack, Jira, and Maven as well.

I would love to share further details with you regarding the team, opportunity, and platform. Would you have some time for an exploratory call to discuss this further? You can also reach me at the office at [Redacted].

The level of word salad has certainly reached hyper-growth mode

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I thought hyper growth was just a term my CEO uses. I didn't realise it was a general identifier of idiots.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
More like diaper growth

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

More like diaper growth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I interviewed with a three-man start up in a dream last night and couldn't answer questions from my own subconscious. At the end I give the manager a firm handshake and then said "let go of my hand you jerk." then I found out my car had been towed

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i really hate when my dreams are too real as well

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i just got an email from a recruiter about joining a team that "works with a proprietary language"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HoboMan posted:

i just got an email from a recruiter about joining a team that "works with a proprietary language"

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hahahahaha

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i love it when recruiters have no idea what appeals to engineers

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

i love it when recruiters have no idea what appeals to engineers
sometimes descriptiosn like that are written by a dev to subtly warn people away. i saw an example in amazon warehouse software, something like "do you want to create OCR systems for our warehouse inbound processes on a bespoke application stack without using any pre-existing recognition technology? then this is the job for you!"

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 16, 2018

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

sometimes descriptiosn like that are written by a dev to subtly warn people away. i saw an example in amazon warehouse software

there's something to be said for just laying everything on the table. yeah it'll take longer to find someone but they're less likely to run away screaming two weeks in.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

jony neuemonic posted:

there's something to be said for just laying everything on the table. yeah it'll take longer to find someone but they're less likely to run away screaming two weeks in.

yeah it not really helpful to your company to con someone into taking the job.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

sanity check

questionarre posted:

What is a single page application? What are some advantages and disadvantages of implementation?

me posted:

A single page application basically a JavaScript application that is delivered via a web page.
The main advantage is that access to your application is as easy as opening a web page so users don't have to install anything or worry about updates.
The main disadvantage is JavaScript.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

HoboMan posted:

sanity check

You compared SPAs with native apps but I think they're probably asking you to compare SPAs with a "conventional" website where most interactions cause an entire new page load.

Actually now I think about it I'm not sure what they wanted you to compare SPAs with.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I think they’re trying to figure that out too :v:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

kloa posted:

I think they’re trying to figure that out too :v:

judging by the follow-up questions i am guessing this is the case

"if you were to make a new single page app what frameworks would you recommend?"

"when debugging a single page app what tools do you usually use?"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

HoboMan posted:

judging by the follow-up questions i am guessing this is the case

"if you were to make a new single page app what frameworks would you recommend?"

"when debugging a single page app what tools do you usually use?"

react with redux for state management if necessary. debugging using chrome dev tools + react/redux extensions.

this smells like a full stack or front-end position. are you sure you want that?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

react with redux for state management if necessary. debugging using chrome dev tools + react/redux extensions.

this smells like a full stack or front-end position. are you sure you want that?

yeah, that's what i answered

probably not what i want, but i am rusty at interviewing and for enough money i could give a poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i hate webshit in general but react with redux and a type checker is the first time i've done webshit coding and not hated every minute of the experience. so, you know, there's that.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HoboMan posted:

sanity check

you kind of said why a web app is better than a desktop app

what they are getting at (i think) is why a single page application (your server probably only has 1 url route defined to index html, this loads your single page app, the rest of the routing is handled by your javascript app on the front end and page transitions are just ajax calls and front end changes, its not *really* changing to a new page, no additional server side rendering) is better than a traditional web app (like something awful, where every new page is being rendered and delivered by the server instead)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Sapozhnik posted:

i hate webshit in general but react with redux and a type checker is the first time i've done webshit coding and not hated every minute of the experience. so, you know, there's that.

yeah it's surprisingly good because the patterns are well thought out and concerns are separated into something that resembles sanity

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

are you guys using typescript when you code in js? trying to find a way to not hate js in the future if I ever need to touch it again.

(im gonna have to touch js again aren’t i :()

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kloa posted:

are you guys using typescript when you code in js? trying to find a way to not hate js in the future if I ever need to touch it again.

(im gonna have to touch js again aren’t i :()

I've used it, but usually lovely frameworks force you to cast half your poo poo to Any half the time anyway.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I'm using react and redux without typescript.

on one hand react and redux are amazing and make some previously hard problems much easier.

on the other hand I'm having to use the debugger a fuckton more because my group makes all kinds of objects containing all kinds of data and the only way I know what's inside them is by actually looking at an object.

we generally don't have many issues with developers doing stupid things like assigning two different types to the same variable but I definitely feel like it's harder to reason about some complex objects since they're not defined anywhere.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
typescript has made a few of my node modules way easier to maintain and generally more pleasant to work with

react has become my preferred framework for front end web stuff. I've been curious how well it plays with typescript, but so far i haven't felt a pressing need to combine them

angular still sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JavaScript is a piece of poo poo that I am ashamed to have on my resume