Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I recently found a used Technics SL-Q2 as my first turntable. It spins the record fine but it seems that the automatic features of the turntable aren't working. When I press the stop button it makes a loud clicking noise and the tone arm stays in place. Also the tonearm doesn't return to the rest after playback is over.

Also does anyone know which Audio Technica cartridge this is off the top of their head?

Wanna make sure I'm not using a weight that will hurt my stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Some random freebies from a neighbor.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Volcano Choir is an interesting freebie considering the rest.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

rockinricky posted:

My recent vinyl:
Judas Priest - Firepower (colored vinyl, 2 copies of album cover, one signed by the band)

Where did you get this? Very jealous. I think it's the best album since Painkiller btw.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Boinks posted:

Where did you get this? Very jealous. I think it's the best album since Painkiller btw.

It was a pre-order offer. There were only 500 available worldwide. It was a bundle that also came with a digital download that let me get FLAC files, and a copy of the CD. Well worth the $75. The code in my previous post is still good, unless someone else snatched it.

rockinricky fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 17, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

rockinricky posted:

It was a pre-order offer. There were only 500 available worldwide. It was a bundle that also came with a digital download that let me get FLAC files, and a copy of the CD. Well worth the $75. The code in my previous post is still good, unless someone else snatched it.

That's a good price I think. I already have the CD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So every year on Record Store Day I had people at store just put aside the one or two things I wanted because they know I don't resell the poo poo. So naturally some fuckface was listing the poo poo on ebay before they even released it and blabbed where he was getting it (by the employees holding it for him). Naturally the company decided to crackdown on employees holding poo poo for people. Yay!

I just wanted the loving David Bowie live album.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
If anyone's into VGM on vinyl, Mondo's Katamari Damacy release looks to have 74 of 3,000 copies remaining here.

edit: sold out now

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 21, 2018

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lonely Rolling Star is a good song

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Bloodplay it again posted:

If anyone's into VGM on vinyl, Mondo's Katamari Damacy release looks to have 74 of 3,000 copies remaining here.

Couldn't find this thread when I was thinking about it but I meant to post this before it went up oops. I grabbed one and a copy of The Duke of Burgundy soundtrack.

I was browsing the record store down the street from my new place and they have a bunch of 60s-70s rock stuff that I'm not too interested in and two rows of bluegrass/country but I'm not really sure where to start with that stuff. They had some Sturgill Simpson and Steve Earle both of which I'm interested in checking out, but I'm past the point where I'm gonna totally blind buy an album. Anyone have a few specific albums I should look for in the genre. Gonna do some Spotify exploring but that's never as fun as getting something recommended and checking it out.

I ended up walking out with a copy of Suicidal Tendencies - self titled, Waxahatchee - cerulean salt, and the SO picked out a vanguard release of Dvorak's new world symphony.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I’m so angry at the record store owners that are pre-flipping RSD releases already on eBay. $200 for the soundgarden a-side album and $90 for the Ben Kweller album. Nice guys! 👍🏻

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Snagged a copy at noon. I was lucky it popped up in my Google feed yesterday. Not really into VGM in general, but Katamari soundtrack is real good.

Weird thing is I'd searched for it on a whim to see if it existed on vinyl just a couple of months ago.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

God drat I had no idea about this. Would’ve been all over it like a paper clip to a katamari ball

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Ballz posted:

God drat I had no idea about this. Would’ve been all over it like a paper clip to a katamari ball

Mondo already announced on Twitter they're gonna release another variant sometime in the future, so you'll be able to get it eventually.

Celeste's soundtrack is on sale sometime tomorrow at Ship to Shore, along with a B-sides cassette.

https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/celeste

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJetCityFix posted:

I’m so angry at the record store owners that are pre-flipping RSD releases already on eBay. $200 for the soundgarden a-side album and $90 for the Ben Kweller album. Nice guys! 👍🏻

SUPPORT INDIE RECORD STORES.

Indie record stores get last pick of everything.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mondo already announced on Twitter they're gonna release another variant sometime in the future, so you'll be able to get it eventually.

I hope they do the rest of the series. And also that I remember to check if they do. There's some really good music in the Katamari games.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ReidRansom posted:

I hope they do the rest of the series. And also that I remember to check if they do. There's some really good music in the Katamari games.

im real glad im only familar with the first games soundtrack and instantly snagged that vinyl as soon as it was sent to me.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
man, so like, the Mondo art for the Katamari vinyl is okay in isolation, even if it has all the normal Mondo art problems

but, I loving hate it compared to the original CD soundtrack art, and will gladly wait for a non-limited release if it has this art

I will say the inner and back art for the Mondo release are great, but man, cannot handle that cover at all in a world where the original was so good

(also I feel a 7" of just Katamari on the Rocks and the acappella version as the B-side would be more than enough for me tbh, though Lonely Rolling Star is also up there I guess)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 22, 2018

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
There's going to be another reissue of Gorillaz - Demon Days https://www.fatbeats.com/products/gorillaz-demon-days-2xlp. So if anyone missed out on the Vmp issue or got stuck with that lovely locked groove then you've got another chance!

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 22, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My TT is immune to locked grooves.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

abraham linksys posted:

man, so like, the Mondo art for the Katamari vinyl is okay in isolation, even if it has all the normal Mondo art problems

but, I loving hate it compared to the original CD soundtrack art, and will gladly wait for a non-limited release if it has this art

I will say the inner and back art for the Mondo release are great, but man, cannot handle that cover at all in a world where the original was so good

(also I feel a 7" of just Katamari on the Rocks and the acappella version as the B-side would be more than enough for me tbh, though Lonely Rolling Star is also up there I guess)

Totally agree with you on the album art. That game has absolutely perfect cover art for the tone of the game. music, art style, all of it is bright and bubbly and weird with these tinges of strange humor. The Mondo cover feels much darker. Needs that original cover.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ebola Dog posted:

There's going to be another reissue of Gorillaz - Demon Days https://www.fatbeats.com/products/gorillaz-demon-days-2xlp. So if anyone missed out on the Vmp issue or got sick with that lovely locked groove then you've got another chance!

Hell loving yes. After I finally got a turntable I was sad to find this cost a bajillion dollars on the secondhand market.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ebola Dog posted:

There's going to be another reissue of Gorillaz - Demon Days https://www.fatbeats.com/products/gorillaz-demon-days-2xlp. So if anyone missed out on the Vmp issue or got stuck with that lovely locked groove then you've got another chance!

Thanks for sharing this, just put in a pre-order!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Stan Taylor posted:

I was browsing the record store down the street from my new place and they have a bunch of 60s-70s rock stuff that I'm not too interested in and two rows of bluegrass/country but I'm not really sure where to start with that stuff. They had some Sturgill Simpson and Steve Earle both of which I'm interested in checking out, but I'm past the point where I'm gonna totally blind buy an album. Anyone have a few specific albums I should look for in the genre. Gonna do some Spotify exploring but that's never as fun as getting something recommended and checking it out.

You can blind buy any Sturgill Simpson album IMO. Metamodern Sounds is probably my favorite album of his but they're all good.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Barry posted:

You can blind buy any Sturgill Simpson album IMO. Metamodern Sounds is probably my favorite album of his but they're all good.

I did just that with Metamodern Sounds and listened to it the other day, and it’s really drat good.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Barry posted:

Good to know. I'll try and go in a bit more prepared next time but I'll keep an eye out for him in particular. Probably gonna hit up the sales guy for recommenations too, they're usually playing good old blues or bluegrass on the store system.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

My TT is immune to locked grooves.

Now you'll never get to hear the cool thing at the end of Brian Eno's song about a lady loving a robot.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm surprised but also not surprised at how fast that Katamari album sold for a run of 3k.

I wonder what percentage of Mondo instant-snapper-uppers are small record shops hopping on the instant-mark up bandwagon? I almost always see Mondo stuff marked up by 10bux each at my local store.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

CPL593H posted:

Now you'll never get to hear the cool thing at the end of Brian Eno's song about a lady loving a robot.

Go on...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Great Pretender ends with a locked groove. Also, it's a song about a lady loving a robot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ebola Dog posted:

was it confirmed these were coming from new plates? Right now I'm just assuming the label is reusing the same remaster from VMP.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

dorium posted:

was it confirmed these were coming from new plates? Right now I'm just assuming the label is reusing the same remaster from VMP.

I don't think anything has been mentioned about it yet. It seems to be a wider release this time so might be able to wait until it's out to see if it is the same mastering as VMP without it selling out?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Got my Drive reissue in today :krad:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I seem to have purchased all the records I want that are in what I consider to be a reasonable price range, and have moved on to buying things with prices that make me feel dumb for paying it. Am I finally a real record collector? This guy was $62 including shipping, which is actually a pretty decent price. That said, if anyone sees Glocca Morra's Just Married or either of Marietta's albums for less than a hundred bucks, maybe help me out?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ebola Dog posted:

I also saw they had "Jay Dilla: Welcome to Detroit" available and I had to swoop that as well.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Southern Lord is doing a few repressings for their 20th anniversary on silver vinyl including Nails' Abandon All Life, Sleep's Dopesmoker and Power Trip's Manifest Decimation & Nightmare Logic. Limited to 300 copies each.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

camoseven posted:

I seem to have purchased all the records I want that are in what I consider to be a reasonable price range, and have moved on to buying things with prices that make me feel dumb for paying it. Am I finally a real record collector? This guy was $62 including shipping, which is actually a pretty decent price. That said, if anyone sees Glocca Morra's Just Married or either of Marietta's albums for less than a hundred bucks, maybe help me out?

holy gently caress people are paying more than 100 dollars for glocca morra poo poo? maybe i can finally cash in on all these pop punk records from 10 years ago

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Some reissues of old friends. Going to pick up Jumping Jive and Beat Crazy when they come out as well.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

holy gently caress people are paying more than 100 dollars for glocca morra poo poo? maybe i can finally cash in on all these pop punk records from 10 years ago

I am not paying more than $100 for it, but maybe other people are? Also they aren’t pop punk, but there are a lot of pop punk records going for a ton of money so check Discogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Speaking of Discogs, Exile in Guyville is being reissued and the Discogs sellers are falling all over themselves to list their copies