Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Foot Knight Kruber with Concentration Potion is great. Drink one, and you can do around 3-4 charges and essentially stunlock bosses when it comes time to do it. I did this on Ripspreader, and made him look a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I have played my first games as Ironbreaker; Pistols for specials and plinking trash and thinning the herd, axe and shield because holy crap thats every weapon quality I value in this game.

You just... dont... stop... bullying. Take the level 5 health talent, roll health on your natural bond necklace, roll max curse resist, and just chill. Hold every single book and take literally sixteen damage a round. You just push through patrols like they're clanrats, its insanity. Bash ignores shields and you have enough stamina to lock down berserkers. You just chump everything smaller than roger.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
much appreciated. Yeah, the game is amazing fun, but it really doesn't do much for hand-holding or advanced tutorials.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So as an Ironbreaker which stat should I prioritize?

Block/push angle
+Stamina
Block cost reduction
Stamina recovery

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I just got the game. Joined a game with my friends and I could hear the characters talking and the music but weapons and monsters were stone silent. Quick google suggests other people have had a similar issue, but I didn't see anyone who knew how to address it. Anyone here had this issue and fixed it?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

marshmallow creep posted:

So I just got the game. Joined a game with my friends and I could hear the characters talking and the music but weapons and monsters were stone silent. Quick google suggests other people have had a similar issue, but I didn't see anyone who knew how to address it. Anyone here had this issue and fixed it?

I had this problem and fixed it by just verifying the files.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deakul posted:

I had this problem and fixed it by just verifying the files.

Thank you, I'll get on that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Boss levels on champ are now the teamkill level. Just spawn and start shooting each other. Winner gets to run into mobs to die.

Then you can play another map.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Spinemanglr and Ribspreader are fine. THey're fine.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

sushibandit posted:

On the other hand, leaving ambient light quality at low seems to have stopped the loving awful overexposure bullshit where looking in the general direction of a single candle 10 miles away would make the entire screen pitch black for an hour.

I consider one level looking a bit funky a fair trade-off for the entire rest of the game not being practically unplayable.

Not that it matters right now but it also makes skittergate look terrible too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Played the "fixed" Waywatcher tonight, just utterly mulches everything but bosses even on champion. It's nice to have a more relaxing run but boy does that ammo need a nerf.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is getting a headshot on the chaos knight boss and the armored rat guy boss hard, or am I just bad? I'm using Sienna. I feel worthless in those fights except when I can activate the Pyromancer career skill.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tenzarin posted:

Boss levels on champ are now the teamkill level. Just spawn and start shooting each other. Winner gets to run into mobs to die.

Then you can play another map.

People are doing this on veteran as well. It's kind of an issue that Fatshark made the boss levels both much more difficult and longer than other levels, with no extra reward for completing them. If they were at least short then you'd have the trade off of saving time if you were able to kill the difficult boss, as it is now it shouldn't be a surprise that people are avoiding them. Which, considering that's 4 out of the 13 levels, is a big problem.

e: although people do War Camp, still.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

War camp is a good level with a boss that's reasonable verging on boring.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish I could blacklist Skittergate, I haven't had a single group wanting to do that level on Champion, so every time it's just everyone jumping off the edge to reset.
Got it three times in a row yesterday.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Node posted:

Is getting a headshot on the chaos knight boss and the armored rat guy boss hard, or am I just bad? I'm using Sienna. I feel worthless in those fights except when I can activate the Pyromancer career skill.

Serious answer: a little of column A, and a little of column B. It's definitely possible and necessary and as Sienna you're kinda loving up if you're loving that up, but they're fast moving targets with heroic proportions. It's work. Here's some classical scholarship on the subject (Gaben, 2007)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI_qwZd-p2U

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, now that I know that Chaos enemies skate *and* use a lot of advancing attacks, I'm wondering what on earth you could do to stop an incoming horde column of them. I suppose finding a perpendicular choke is the solution, as well as being the reason for why shotgun weapons are still a thing.

On a semi-related note, I decided to test out both the Barrage trait and Ranger Bardin's Smoke Bomb, and I guess I'm glad to report that non-stop, close-range, mag-dumping with a Grudgeraker at 400 power (Veteran) and the duration extension talent got a Rat Ogre down to 25%ish health. I figure that only the Stormfiend counts as an armored monster, and being invisible the entire time guarantees that you'll be a good, steady source of damage as long as you don't end up in the way of a Spawn grab or Troll vomit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uh, Kerillian, you sure you know how to handle that sword?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just ran a game with one of my smurf characters.

This level 30 Sienna joins our Vet game (the other characters are also pubs, like level 8 and 9 respectively) and says, 'let's speedrun this.'

Like, dude, you are the reason people hate playing with pubs.

Someone went to grab a Tome and their response was, 'Vet gear WILL NOT MATTER, trust me.'

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 17, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mechafunkzilla posted:

People are doing this on veteran as well. It's kind of an issue that Fatshark made the boss levels both much more difficult and longer than other levels, with no extra reward for completing them. If they were at least short then you'd have the trade off of saving time if you were able to kill the difficult boss, as it is now it shouldn't be a surprise that people are avoiding them. Which, considering that's 4 out of the 13 levels, is a big problem.

e: although people do War Camp, still.

War Camp is significantly shorter and easier than Halescourge or Into the Nest and the boss is way more of a chump than either Halescourge or Skarrik. It's quite baffling, actually.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Kanos posted:

War Camp is significantly shorter and easier than Halescourge or Into the Nest and the boss is way more of a chump than either Halescourge or Skarrik. It's quite baffling, actually.

Maybe Ribspreader was actually Archaon all along. :tinfoil:

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I'm fairly competent with most of the characters but I'm having trouble with Sienna, I like her mace well enough but I'm not really doing well with any staff, not even the beam staff which by most accounts here is supposedly a lascannon accidentally brought over from 40k. I'm only level 5 on her so is this a talents/hero power thing or are there some tips to heat management and using the staff effectively?

Give me your Fire Aunt strats.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm fairly competent with most of the characters but I'm having trouble with Sienna, I like her mace well enough but I'm not really doing well with any staff, not even the beam staff which by most accounts here is supposedly a lascannon accidentally brought over from 40k. I'm only level 5 on her so is this a talents/hero power thing or are there some tips to heat management and using the staff effectively?

Give me your Fire Aunt strats.

The Battle Wizard is probably one of the worst careers in the game. Wait until level 7 and you'll unlock the Pyromancer career, which does everything the BW does, only better.
At level 25 you will get a talent that clears all your heat when you use your ability, which is a game changer as it pretty much removes any reason to carefully manage heat.

Pre- and post-level 25 really are completely different worlds for Sienna.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 17, 2018

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
You could try to fix the beam staff by just removing the shotgun ability and turning it into a pure special sniper, basically the opposite of the flamestorm staff. The bolt staff is then a halfway house like the fireball/conflag.

Less drastically you could change the shotgun to do way less / no damage, so it's just a short-range cc tool.

But yeah the heat mechanics also need fixing because they affect every ranged weapon

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

The Battle Wizard is probably one of the worst careers in the game. Wait until level 7 and you'll unlock the Pyromancer career, which does everything the BW does, only better.
At level 25 you will get a talent that clears all your heat when you use your ability, which is a game changer as it pretty much removes any reason to carefully manage heat.

Pre- and post-level 25 really are completely different worlds for Sienna.

Yeah, once I got to 25 with Pyromancer Sienna, the game becomes "can I fill my overcharge before I can cast Flaming Skull again?". More often than not, the answer is no. Then I cast Flaming Skull anyway to burn more rats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

I like fighting Spinemanglr or Ribspreader as Foot Knight because they go down to my charge and I feel like I'm contributing.

The 'minor' bosses like the Bile Troll and the Chaos Spawn are actually much more annoying

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Well I guess I have some leveling to do then.

I just had a Chaos Spawn throw 2 people through the map, I really hope they fix that soon. I also hope mod support comes soon so I can replace the spawn's noises with https://youtu.be/uyh3C1xDT3Y?t=18

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

"Oh, I just unlocked the Zealot, let's try out that charge..."
https://i.imgur.com/544jX1g.mp4
:downs:

Still, all told I'll probably stick with the Bounty Hunter. The Zealot's power boost hasn't seemed that huge even when dancing at the edge of death, and the Bounty Hunter's ability to just bully the gently caress out of any and every special is just too fun.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zephro posted:

You could try to fix the beam staff by just removing the shotgun ability and turning it into a pure special sniper, basically the opposite of the flamestorm staff. The bolt staff is then a halfway house like the fireball/conflag.

Less drastically you could change the shotgun to do way less / no damage, so it's just a short-range cc tool.

But yeah the heat mechanics also need fixing because they affect every ranged weapon

I expect some heavy-rear end changes to high level play, as in, how you play when you are high level. How much things change once you get those 20/25 talents and many times how it breaks everything, I'm betting there's some powerful reworks down the pipe.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Perestroika posted:

"Oh, I just unlocked the Zealot, let's try out that charge..."

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=544jX1g&v=mQD2w4HU3jw&s=77

Synced up p well with Fist of the North Star, turns out

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll be glad if all the +5% talents got reworked into some real choices. Stuff like Kruber's +1 ammo, crit rate, or reload rate on headshots is infinitely more interesting than +5% attack speed, which is good but also kinda stupidly optimal for most cases.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Foot Knight Kruber with Concentration Potion is great. Drink one, and you can do around 3-4 charges and essentially stunlock bosses when it comes time to do it. I did this on Ripspreader, and made him look a nerd.

Even funnier on a couple of the maps where you can knock minibosses off cliffs. Doom bell is pretty good for that.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I wish I could blacklist Skittergate, I haven't had a single group wanting to do that level on Champion, so every time it's just everyone jumping off the edge to reset.
Got it three times in a row yesterday.

I had a group actually try it, and we did ok! We lost at the very end when only Rasknitt was left, but it had been a smooth run up til then

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Even funnier on a couple of the maps where you can knock minibosses off cliffs. Doom bell is pretty good for that.

Just watch out while charging on certain maps, I already killed myself several times charging off of cliffs or into (poison?) water.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Last night I did Skittergate on recruit with bots just to see the end of the level. The midboss that turns into a chaos spawn started to do his transformation animation, and Kruberbot just shouted him down and we stabbed him to death before he could do anything. It was beautiful.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Phlegmish posted:

Just watch out while charging on certain maps, I already killed myself several times charging off of cliffs or into (poison?) water.

Or into random bumps or rocks in the ground which apparently are deadly.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How does crafting work? I haven't crafted anything yet. When I craft an item, what item level will it be?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

pmchem posted:

How does crafting work? I haven't crafted anything yet. When I craft an item, what item level will it be?

It'll be a competitive power level with what you're usually getting from commendation chests etc, and its rarity is random but you can get greens, blues, and oranges from crafting pretty reliably.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I know its back on easy, but watching people play Ironbreaker so they can pistol-snipe all game just really irks me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

It'll be a competitive power level with what you're usually getting from commendation chests etc, and its rarity is random but you can get greens, blues, and oranges from crafting pretty reliably.

What does "competitive power level" mean? Will it be like opening a chest, +/- 10 from my max item level ever seen? Meaning you can actually increase your max item level ever seen via crafting?