Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

pmchem posted:

What does "competitive power level" mean? Will it be like opening a chest, +/- 10 from my max item level ever seen? Meaning you can actually increase your max item level ever seen via crafting?

I think it can be +/- 10 of what you've seen, but it definitely has no effect on what you're getting out of boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

I know its back on easy, but watching people play Ironbreaker so they can pistol-snipe all game just really irks me.

I only play it so I can dominate the damage taken stat like a pro and still be functional. I'm sold on the guns though, I'll try em out once I get the powerlevels up, close too 400 now and I still feel they suck compared to a handgun

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can't do slayer! You feel sooo squishy it's crazy. Even when I block, dodge and try to be careful every hit takes such a huge chunk of hp off it's brutal.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Not sure why people hate Shade so much aside from the mortal sin of not being Waywatcher.

EDIT: Why is there a level 25-30 Sienna in every single Vetpub game I play? I'm trying to level some smurfs and there is always ALWAYS a fire grandma there to trivialize the entire game.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 17, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Not sure why people hate Shade so much aside from the mortal sin of not being Waywatcher.

EDIT: Why is there a level 25-30 Sienna in every single Vetpub game I play? I'm trying to level some smurfs and there is always ALWAYS a fire grandma there to trivialize the entire game.
People really like avoiding playing the game they bought in favor of engaging with a skinnerbox.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mendrian posted:

Statistically, 80% of the games will have a Sienna.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Statistically, 80% of the games will have a Sienna.

But will all of them be high enough level to run the game by themselves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39P8PsGCNI&t=36s

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 17, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there a reason they shouldn't be there? I'm lvl 21 on my Markus, I've never played Champion, I'm afraid of being dead weight.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christ, is it me or have Chaos Spawn become even more of a loving pain to fight? I've been doing even more terribly than usual against them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, I'd say level 20 is a good place to start doing Champion, as that's when you get your "health on kill/crits" talents.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a reason they shouldn't be there? I'm lvl 21 on my Markus, I've never played Champion, I'm afraid of being dead weight.

There's nothing wrong with them being there, no, though by that point Vet should be almost painfully easy.

What I see most often, if you want me to elaborate, are high level Siennas who insist on joining low level pub groups and then farming for mats as fast as humanly possible. This is obviously not why level 10 or 11 pubs are in the match in the first place, and the Sienna is going to destroy anything they encounter. It's not like they're banned from being there but they are being kind of a dick because speedrunning every match is not necessarily why the other people are there.

The 'reason' they shouldn't be there is because often level 25-30 characters have already hit item cap for veteran.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I may just be bad at random luck or whatever but I only hit 200 when I opened boxes at 30. I was playing some champion stuff about level 25 with some higher levels friends though, vet does get super easy around 23-25 at least for me it did.

Shade sucks because her F ability is trash. The AI has almost perfect awareness, plus will spawn poo poo right behind you a second after you just cleared your six so trying to sneakily backstab people just ends with you cut off from your team and getting owned.

The cloak could be ok if it put Shade on some alternate plane of existence so melee and ranged spam attacks wouldn't hit her while cloaked, then you could use it as a reliable escape when a horde or boss has you cornered.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Rip the bandaid off, play champion, use your mic, and do Things for Reasons and you'll be in the 95th percentile of pubs. You're just prolonging being bad at the game the longer you stay in the kiddie pool. Once you have your level 20 sustain talents, it's time to leave Vet.

Mendrian posted:

There's nothing wrong with them being there, no, though by that point Vet should be almost painfully easy.

What I see most often, if you want me to elaborate, are high level Siennas who insist on joining low level pub groups and then farming for mats as fast as humanly possible. This is obviously not why level 10 or 11 pubs are in the match in the first place, and the Sienna is going to destroy anything they encounter. It's not like they're banned from being there but they are being kind of a dick because speedrunning every match is not necessarily why the other people are there.

The 'reason' they shouldn't be there is because often level 25-30 characters have already hit item cap for veteran.

Yeah, I'm leveling some off-heroes now and my damage is level 28s playing Veteran because its really really really really really obvious that the way they play gets them completely shithoused on Champ. And veteran too, often enough.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 17, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shade's F is used to backstab a boss so you take out 1/3 of their HP at the start of a fight, or to kill a Chaos Warrior that's causing trouble in one blow, not to reposition.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What gun do people use for the bounty hunter? I'm not sure how to use bounty hunter and feel like the tagging was maybe better? I dunno I'm only lvl 9.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bounty hunter doesn't really come into its own until level 15, but volley crossbow is hands down the best ranged weapon for salty right now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

poe meater posted:

What gun do people use for the bounty hunter? I'm not sure how to use bounty hunter and feel like the tagging was maybe better? I dunno I'm only lvl 9.

Repeater pistol alt fire (quickly hold right click, quickly left click once, and it fires faster than you'd think with a longer range than you'd think). Your blessed shots proc on all 8 bullets in the alt fire.

Volley bow is in FotM phase right now, and it shreds bosses and thins hordes VERY nicely but is tremendously ammo limited if you ever use the volley bow to do volley bow things, to the point where you're kinda screwing yourself if you don't play with a Ranger imo.

I'm liking the regular crossbow right now for elites and specials, blessed shot crossbow hits for about as much as your active, it's kinda nutty. Its a little more inconsistent against chaos warriors in particular however and lacks boss-shredding capability that the above two have in spades. And mostly I play BH to shred bosses because often nobody else on the team can in our post-Huntsman era.

(seriously i haven't seen a huntsman since the day after the nerf. RIP.)

vvvvv Falchion needs a lotta power to come into its own, but when it does its the Swiss Army Knife of the saltzpyre kit, it's good against 100% of The Things. Rapier with cooldown-on-crit is good too. I suspect sword and flail are more Zealot friendly, but investigating that means I gotta play more Zealot and, eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnngggggghhhhhhhhh........

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 17, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What melee weapons are people using on Saltzpfeffer? I've been sticking with the rapier since the charged attacks are are great for headshotting dudes and the pistol is actually pretty good once you get used to it. The greatsword made me feel like Kruber's wimpy little brother and the flail seemed kind of terrible.

Just got a repeater crossbow as my first orange so I guess I'm using that for awhile.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've played a lot of Zealot Saltz: use the rapier or the falchion. Latter is probably better with the attack speed boost from your active. I'd prefer the flail if it only had a better heavy; use the axe if you have good mods on it if you like. Still, the falchion is probably Zealot's best weapon.

EDIT: Ugh, first crash I had with this game. It was going well too; finally killed a Troll easily while mopping up the rat horde that came in at the same time, after previous games where Spawns, Trolls, and even a drat Rat Ogre was kicking my rear end. Oh well, had to happen some time.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 17, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

bounty hunter doesn't really come into its own until level 15, but volley crossbow is hands down the best ranged weapon for salty right now.
Yeah it does. It feels better than WHC as soon as you get it, because both its active and passive feel better and have more direct feedback, whether they actually are mechanically better or not. Its just at level 15 is when it gets really really good.

poe meater posted:

Your job is to gently caress up anything that's taggable just like it was for WHC, except instead of passively helping your team do it just by existing and hoping that they can, you get to do it yourself. Your passive ability gives you tremendous ranged power, but it only recharges after a melee kill or ten seconds. Keep an eye on that meter and know that if its up, you should be able to kill any special around with an alt-fire from the volleybow. If both your active and passive are up, you can kill Chaos Warriors in one shot of your active. Just run up to them and execute them. In hordes, your job is to keep an eye and ear out for specials while you mulch rats with the weapon of your choice. This means you should be near the sides or beside someone else so you can safely duck back to pull out your volleybow if/when you see another special. Getting surrounded will hurt like hell and mean you can't do your job at all, so absolutely avoid that if you can. A shove+backdodge, preferably with a movement speed trinket, can clear enough space for you to quickswitch to your volleybow, shoot something, and quickswitch back. In general, I prefer the rapier, but the falchion is a close second. The others are good, I just think that the hatchet doesn't really have a role because most armored guys should be shot to poo poo first and the flail feels a little awkward. If you like it, though, its really handy for beating up shieldvermin who would otherwise be irritating.

When you get to level 15, you will be basically free of ammo constraints and can use your volleybow to thin out hordes as well as just being on special-killing duty, but for now, that's where you are. It wasn't uncommon around level 10ish for me to have more special/elite kills than the rest of my team put together.

I think I decided that they should buff the Brace of Pistols by removing the alt-pistol from the rapier and giving the Brace the ability to be fired off-hand with every weapon like it is for the rapier. There's already an animation for it for your Bounty Hunter special, and it'd give you more flexibility in-combat. If they could reduce the movement-speed slowdown while you alt-fired the brace it'd be nice too, but that's just a dream.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 17, 2018

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
We were just about to get to the bridge of shadows at the chaos champion level with all tomes and grims, and the host removed me from the game just before it ended.

Super lovely. :smith:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Only tangential to the game but I'll ask here: does anyone have a method to track how much data VT2 is using while you play? Is there a Steam stats box I can turn on or something? I'm coping with a real bear of a data cap at the moment and I'm developing a suspicion that VT2 is eating larger amounts of data than I'd expect from online gaming.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

So as an Ironbreaker which stat should I prioritize?

Block/push angle
+Stamina
Block cost reduction
Stamina recovery

quoting myself from the last page

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

What melee weapons are people using on Saltzpfeffer? I've been sticking with the rapier since the charged attacks are are great for headshotting dudes and the pistol is actually pretty good once you get used to it. The greatsword made me feel like Kruber's wimpy little brother and the flail seemed kind of terrible.

Just got a repeater crossbow as my first orange so I guess I'm using that for awhile.

My situation might be unique because I play in a dedicated group and typically fill the support/wildcard slot but I take the axe to shred elites on Champion. Granted I'm not really going for kill count but high-priority targets so ymmv.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

enraged_camel posted:

quoting myself from the last page

you're playing the game how is this an issue

what weapon are you using do you feel you run out of stamina a lot etc

The shield plus talent has a huge push radius, but with a property it's just shy of 360 pushing, which is silly. Block cost isn't necessary if you're using a shield. Stamina recovery is taken up by a talent already (heavy attacks give it)

Some people spam push a lot, some people just dodge instead. Look at your play style and do whatever???

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Broken Cog posted:

Uh, Kerillian, you sure you know how to handle that sword?

She's been watching Rurouni Kenshin lately.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I really enjoyed how the flail melted through shields

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Falcion all day every day. Slaughters hordes and murders armour. Really nothing more you can ask of it. Well, i guess there's the Flail for dealing with shields but, ehhhhhhhh.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

you're playing the game how is this an issue

It's not an "issue", I'm just new and there seems to be a severe lack of information/tutorials on the game as a whole, so figuring out what is effective is taking a long time for me.

quote:

what weapon are you using do you feel you run out of stamina a lot etc

The shield plus talent has a huge push radius, but with a property it's just shy of 360 pushing, which is silly. Block cost isn't necessary if you're using a shield. Stamina recovery is taken up by a talent already (heavy attacks give it)

Some people spam push a lot, some people just dodge instead. Look at your play style and do whatever???

My main tactic so far has been relying on lots of pushing to stagger and knock away mobs and make it easier for teammates. But then I read some guy (who supposedly has hundreds of hours of playtime as tank in the first game) who said pushing should only be used as a breather, and the main method of CC should be to use the first power attack (with shield and axe/hammer) because it has a wider radius, does a bit of damage and doesn't send mobs flying away. So I don't know. :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People skip the level with the krench-style skaven boss? When I’ve done it it’s been mostly super easy since almost everything is rats and the boss seems actually reasonable unlike bubblefuck, once you learn that his horizontal cleave attack has a ridiculous phantom range on it so you have to block it just to be safe. Really cool looking and fun level too.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Digirat posted:

People skip the level with the krench-style skaven boss? When I’ve done it it’s been mostly super easy since almost everything is rats and the boss seems actually reasonable unlike bubblefuck, once you learn that his horizontal cleave attack has a ridiculous phantom range on it so you have to block it just to be safe. Really cool looking and fun level too.

I usually fistpump when I get that one. In quickplay vet/champ people are happy to get Into the Nest or War Camp, but they 100% gently caress off if we get Skittergate or Halescourge. Can't really blame them either.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Into the nest is my fav map, i love the transition from dwarf hold to ratnest, and it's gorgeous to boot. The boss is hard though, never cleared it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

I can't do slayer! You feel sooo squishy it's crazy. Even when I block, dodge and try to be careful every hit takes such a huge chunk of hp off it's brutal.

Slayer has the same health as most classes, great defensive talents, a great defensive ability, very mobile weapons, an instant block, faster attacks to stunlock with, a good kill rate for temp health on kills, and can swap to 1h hammer for CC + high stamina. The bare chest is purely cosmetic and there is nothing squishy about him. You will die if you charge in recklessly, but that is true for everyone.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2018

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bosses are the least interesting content in the game by miles and I don't know why they went with a third of the levels having them as capstones

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

victrix posted:

Bosses are the least interesting content in the game by miles and I don't know why they went with a third of the levels having them as capstones
dis fuggin guy

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

victrix posted:

Because the game would probably have a 99% clear rate without em

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It's not an "issue", I'm just new and there seems to be a severe lack of information/tutorials on the game as a whole, so figuring out what is effective is taking a long time for me.

My main tactic so far has been relying on lots of pushing to stagger and knock away mobs and make it easier for teammates. But then I read some guy (who supposedly has hundreds of hours of playtime as tank in the first game) who said pushing should only be used as a breather, and the main method of CC should be to use the first power attack (with shield and axe/hammer) because it has a wider radius, does a bit of damage and doesn't send mobs flying away. So I don't know. :shrug:

The second half of your post informs the first. I don't like the "___________ is the Dark Souls of [GENRE]" but one very souls-y thing about this game is that Raw StatsTM mean precisely jack squat if the qualities of a weapon or character don't mesh with your playstyle. In the case of ironbreaker in particular, it's possible to spec and itemize in such a way you have nine stamina with a shield, and if you have nine stam, and the level 15 stamina regen talent, who the gently caress cares how often you're shoving y'know? If a fight lasts for ten shoves, there's your problem right there, not that you're running out of stamina. That dude you're talking about is speaking about a style that meshes with how he prefers to play ironbreaker like they're graven rules when the game just. doesnt. work that way. Gamerofthegame is being a little flip with you because the serious answer is to just try some stuff and see what does and doesn't work and then make continual itemization decisions on that basis because how you're playing and the specific issues you're encountering are a greater determinant than the personal preferences of some other dude on the internet.

Dooting around with ironbreaker I first itemized for lots of stamina and stam regen, but after a few games I found that as long as I wove shield bashes between shoves that stamina wasn't ever really an issue and I was also taking literally--not figuratively but LITERALLY--teens of damage per round, so instead I started stacking health and curse resist for a maximal cushion and it was fine. So now my ironbreaker is the designated book hauler because he still has like 60-ish% of a health bar with two grims. You just play around like that and see what you can get away with in game.

Are you blocking lots of hits to proc the Off Balance trait? Then lots of stamina, and block cost reduction is the order of the day. Are you comfortable weaving attacks and prefer saving your active for a patrol or boss rather than using it just to use it? Stam regen is pretty legit, then! Do you like operating more or less independently of the rest of the group's health economy? Look into stacking health and rolling a Natural Bond trinket.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ammanas posted:

Into the nest is my fav map, i love the transition from dwarf hold to ratnest, and it's gorgeous to boot. The boss is hard though, never cleared it.

Spinemanglr is actually one of the easier bosses but he hates clickspam. His big move is when he charges up his halbred and then knocks everybody the gently caress back. If you can dodge out of the way of that you're like 75% of the way through. It's very telegraphed once you know what you're looking for.

EDIT: No joke I think I'd rather deal with Spinemanglr than a loving chaos spawn.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ammanas posted:

Because the game would probably have a 99% clear rate without em

vs the much higher quality gameplay of people actually suiciding or quitting instantly on boss levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Teammates who block and push too much are really annoying. Just kill the loving rats, you're not "helping" by knocking down a slave who's gonna stand back up and stab me in the back.