Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lunethex posted:

Having fun is already completely impeded by how quickly you die and how nearly impossible it is to avoid damage in the first place due to attacks whiffing through enemies constantly, the running attack spam, shieldvermin, Halescourge, Chaos all skating around and entering attack animations from out of sight then gliding in around corners and

etc

I mean all this has mattered less so far for me than the ranged spam decimating every map in the rat stab game from recruit to champion. That and I dunno what happened, but in a round on champion just now Halescourge pretty much got instagibbed, I was on Slayer and had a 25 Pyro, a 27 Bounter Hunter and then a Handmaiden, he teleported maybe three times and was dead as a doornail.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I loving love teammates with shields on champion. A halberd Kruber behind a shield Bardin can take on just about anything with no risk. Doesn't even need to be by a chokepoint; just a wall is fine.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that halberd kruber can also do it with no risk if he just watches to see if the rats are gonna hit him, then makes that not happen. and he doesnt even need a useless teammate

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

that halberd kruber can also do it with no risk if he just watches to see if the rats are gonna hit him, then makes that not happen. and he doesnt even need a useless teammate

While we're in ridiculous "I don't ever get hit no matter what" land, why even have teammates at all? Just solo the game on Legendary if you aren't a scrub.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You probably don't need sword and shield with a good team but jesus christ on pub games on champ I think my win rate is like 80% with ironbreaker with shield because of how easy it is to rescue people. I just can't do the same thing with other classes as easily.

Of course, if your team is sticking together and not just loving off to get downed by a leech out of sight then you probably don't need a shield dude to save everyone.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vargs posted:

While we're in ridiculous "I don't ever get hit no matter what" land, why even have teammates at all? Just solo the game on Legendary if you aren't a scrub.

By the comments, clearly there are already posters in this thread doing just that!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ghost Dog posted:

until he hits a shieldbearer or armored guy in the middle of a horde, causing his weapon to stop and open him up to counterattacks, there are more than ~6 enemies in a line arrayed against him (which is roughly the time his attacks stop doing sufficient damage to stagger), latency causes an attack to whiff, or a chaos marauder skates from half a mile away to get in a hit that interrupts his rhythm.

legitimately, though, the downside to all of that stuff is so small that it does not matter on veteran or recruit.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I really dig running with a shield on champ. Never really played with quickplay randoms but in 200 hours of vt2 this is what I've settled with.

I can agree with some of the posts saying it isn't necessary to use a shield below champ, but the sword is strong enough that SnS can still do very competitive damage.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Vargs posted:

avoiding hits is not fantasy land, its the core gameplay? blocks and dodges work when you dont have a shield, too.

Coolguye posted:

until he hits a shieldbearer or armored guy in the middle of a horde, causing his weapon to stop and open him up to counterattacks, there are more than ~6 enemies in a line arrayed against him (which is roughly the time his attacks stop doing sufficient damage to stagger), latency causes an attack to whiff, or a chaos marauder skates from half a mile away to get in a hit that interrupts his rhythm.

legitimately, though, the downside to all of that stuff is so small that it does not matter on veteran or recruit.

it also works on champion. the only way you could think it doesnt is if you just left veteran or something. enjoy your path to being better i guess

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

avoiding hits is not fantasy land, its the core gameplay? blocks and dodges work when you dont have a shield, too.

it also works on champion. the only way you could think it doesnt is if you just left veteran or something. enjoy your path to being better i guess

it works for a certain definition of the word 'work' - the point of contention here is that you seem to think that definition is 100% of the time when it is trivial to point out 4 different common situations where it is not. i easily block or dodge 95%+ of all incoming hits. it's a real shame that on champion it only takes 3 strikes to really ruin your day, and 4-5 to down you and make you a complete liability to your team. as such, that like, 4 or 5% of the time makes it 'not work' on champion, dude.

by contrast, on recruit and vet that 5% of the time results in a few scratches and who gives a crap.

like, this is not a 'just left vet' thing because the damage potential of enemies is one of the few things that doesn't change with hero power, and you're not going to magically start controlling more shieldbearers or stormvermin with more hero power either. you're talking about core gameplay but don't appear to be familiar with it at all.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 18, 2018

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You gotta be getting insanely lucky with the rng if you don't find yourself regularly in a situation where you're hosed, and where a huge rear end knock back could seriously help.

E: Like don't you ever get hit by a horde in a tight area and a chaos spawn? And then someone gets grabbed and dragged through the horde by a packmaster

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ya'll are the pubbies

:biotruths:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i have no idea what you are talking about, even without a curse resist trinket, double grimming on either kruber or bardin you are not having your day ruined from just 3 hits. especially not with temporary health. it gets kind of ridiculous how many hits you can just tank on champion as either bardin or kruber.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

you're talking about core gameplay but don't appear to be familiar with it at all.

lmao

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

You gotta be getting insanely lucky with the rng if you don't find yourself regularly in a situation where you're hosed, and where a huge rear end knock back could seriously help.

E: Like don't you ever get hit by a horde in a tight area and a chaos spawn? And then someone gets grabbed and dragged through the horde by a packmaster

im not actually saying the shield is useless or something but its not some special class of CC that no other weapon can reach and is 100% required for your team to cower behind like coolguye thinks. in that situation i dont really think the weapons gonna matter so much as anyones ability to snipe the packmaster or slip away from the horde. blocking and pushing works on every weapon and especially on the shield users, you can get like 7 stamina on a weapon

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

ya'll are the pubbies

:biotruths:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

also just kill a rat or two and your health is back

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Slayer is super fun on champion it turns out. I get to be the team’s dedicated can opener, as dual axe charge attacks tend to one shot stormvermin and take down chaos warriors in two or three. Shields don’t last long either.

The trade off is the lack of all the wonderful survivability of the tank dwarf. But with dual axes for making GBS threads out damage and a two handed hammer for clearing waves of vermin, it’s hard to go back.

I can’t bring myself to take the “reduce the damage of one hit” trait over the “critical hits are even stronger trait”.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Slayer is super fun on champion it turns out. I get to be the team’s dedicated can opener, as dual axe charge attacks tend to one shot stormvermin and take down chaos warriors in two or three. Shields don’t last long either.

The trade off is the lack of all the wonderful survivability of the tank dwarf. But with dual axes for making GBS threads out damage and a two handed hammer for clearing waves of vermin, it’s hard to go back.

I can’t bring myself to take the “reduce the damage of one hit” trait over the “critical hits are even stronger trait”.

I also flip flop between the two. I really like both of them though I do tend to favor the reduced damage one more often with pubs.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Playing with shields is cool and I like to bash rats and stuff around. I like to charge and knock a thousand rats on their asses then put up my shield and deflect all incoming damage for 10 seconds while my teammates go ham over my shoulder

Also I just hold down the attack button during a bash and Kruber does a lil stab that usually murders a slave rat or two so I can shield bash and follow up with a kill

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there any sort of "leaver penalty" in this game for people who leave party mid-game?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Don't think so, but I've only seen one or two people leave in the middle of a run. Had hosts disconnect though, which sucks

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

pmchem posted:

Is there any sort of "leaver penalty" in this game for people who leave party mid-game?

they dont get xp

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is the Witch Hunter Captain a viable class or is it just too outshined by BH and Zealot?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is the Witch Hunter Captain a viable class or is it just too outshined by BH and Zealot?

He gives some decent party buffs just by being around, and is perfectly playable just because Saltzpyre has a good set of weapons to choose from, but one of the others is probably better for you. I kind of like the shout knockdown active skill myself.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I kinda don't like shield Kruber because his auto attacks can't 2 shot stormvermin like an axe shield dwarf can on champion.

Ghost Dog posted:

im not actually saying the shield is useless or something but its not some special class of CC that no other weapon can reach and is 100% required for your team to cower behind like coolguye thinks.

Shields do put out an insane amount of CC and everyone on your team should be behind them.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ghost Dog posted:

im not actually saying the shield is useless or something but its not some special class of CC that no other weapon can reach and is 100% required for your team to cower behind like coolguye thinks. in that situation i dont really think the weapons gonna matter so much as anyones ability to snipe the packmaster or slip away from the horde. blocking and pushing works on every weapon and especially on the shield users, you can get like 7 stamina on a weapon

You don't need a shield, but having at a shield user is strictly more efficient than not on Champion. This shouldn't really be controversial.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Strictly more efficient at not killing yeah

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your not playing champion, just play ironbreaker and use a flamethrower or any lol aoe dmg weapon. Don't need anything to fight burned rat burgers.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

I kinda don't like shield Kruber because his auto attacks can't 2 shot stormvermin like an axe shield dwarf can on champion.

Shields do put out an insane amount of CC and everyone on your team should be behind them.

I find the sword for Kruber is still really good at wrecking Stormvermin since it's pretty easy to aim for headshots with it. and if I gotta handle them alone while the team mops up a horde or somethin, I've got my trusty shield to absorb some hits.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Thread moves pretty fast so this may have been discussed already, but special spawn rates are pretty interesting right now

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Skypie posted:

I find the sword for Kruber is still really good at wrecking Stormvermin since it's pretty easy to aim for headshots with it. and if I gotta handle them alone while the team mops up a horde or somethin, I've got my trusty shield to absorb some hits.

I donno if its my Kruber only being lvl 26 but on my lvl 30 dwarf I can rack up alot of kills just doing the heavy shield attack on slaves/slave rats. It just doesn't feel like his bash is wasting them but it could be because hes only 550 and not 600 power.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
is there a strategy for fighting chaos spawn? the other three bosses i can deal with but chaos spawn tend to just be a damage race to kill them before they grab everyone to death

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

is there a strategy for fighting chaos spawn? the other three bosses i can deal with but chaos spawn tend to just be a damage race to kill them before they grab everyone to death

Bombs and certain class actives will interrupt that grab attack and free your ally. I know Foot Soldier active works, and I believe the Merc and Witch Hunter ones also stun the horror. There are probably others, but those are the ones I can recall offhand.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Circle strafe to avoid being grabbed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

Circle strafe to avoid being grabbed.

Or back dodge far enough, which one will actually depends on exactly how tight the quarters were when the spawn popped up, like it always seems to

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

President Ark posted:

It's Extreme Sports Roger. Same roger principles, do not for any reason be in his front quarter when he does the sweep attack. Shoot him in the face if you're not the guy he's going for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

UberJew posted:

Or back dodge far enough, which one will actually depends on exactly how tight the quarters were when the spawn popped up, like it always seems to

Dodge left when he rears back with his tentacle arm.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Its kind of amazing, I just ran several rounds with the same group of people and lost every one - a couple from Bad Bugs (like a ratling gunner shooting through a full on wall, dropping the two better players then a horde hit) but mostly because the crew just would NOT change their behavior. Very little chokepoint work, constantly separating. Over and over. Kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

christ, is this what this is about? you read one of my posts and for whatever reason you thought i was saying that there is literally no way you are ever going to do a thing unless you follow my precisely detailed prescription?

well, i really do not feel like doing the tired dance of 'i never said that' 'you totally did *quotes single sentence in one post devoid of context*' 'that isn't what that means *quotes context*' 'you're backpedaling/don't know what words mean' 'a bunch of others got it fine' so instead i'll just say oh no i am so sorry that i happened to create a misunderstanding in such a way that precluded you asking a clarifying question like a normal person, please forgive me sir and enjoy your being right on the internet about me being an extremist ur-dork

glad that is settled

President Ark posted:

i wrote a steam guide on the monster bosses as a whole here if you want more words on the subject, but the short version is that whomever is being targeted needs to go full defensive and dodge to keep from getting grabbed, and everyone else should beat the poo poo out of him.

unfortunately there definitely is a damage race element to it, and all bosses, simply because if they live for too long you will have a horde come in and make things a LOT more complicated.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dodge left when he rears back with his tentacle arm.

back also works and is generally easier to pull off in most cases; spaghetti-o has some seriously weird collision with his tentacle arm and sometimes Lunch Time will follow you around his side.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 18, 2018