Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Started playing this 'cos of the LP. Got a little bit ahead of where we are so far.

I had to stop for a minute from laughing too hard when that actually worked. I hope that's not considered spoilers but I'm just high on mirth right now. This game has all the little touches.

Looking forward to seeing all the things I've inevitably missed after the fact!

Refuge in Audacity is a usual tactic for runners. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I sort of assumed that getting your character in as a hire-able runner was a high level kickstarter reward, and their continued presence was more about that then actually being useful to the player. That and it being a legacy system from the first game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Besides the loss of banter, having to actually pay money for the generic runners is my huge stumbling block. They don't give you a ton of it, and what they do could be going to a shiny new cyberarm :bahgawd:

Though Hong Kong throws you a bone, if there's a Generic Runner who has a reason for working pro-bono (like you're running against the Azzies and one of them has "Azzies kicked my puppy" as their background) you can take them for free on those missions.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Though Hong Kong throws you a bone, if there's a Generic Runner who has a reason for working pro-bono (like you're running against the Azzies and one of them has "Azzies kicked my puppy" as their background) you can take them for free on those missions.

I can only think of one time that happens (and if I recall correctly, it's in the expansion). Was there another time it happened too?

And yeah, it's a nice touch that they recognized that.

edit - also speaking of hk, those hire-able runners are actually a bit more useful in that game depending on circumstances.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Besides the loss of banter, having to actually pay money for the generic runners is my huge stumbling block. They don't give you a ton of it, and what they do could be going to a shiny new cyberarm :bahgawd:

Someone could see this as a quality feature. One time a certain lady street sam cleaned out some nazi dungeon all by herself, when my decker was busy dying to some black IC. All without dropping some sassy dialogue on me. Money well spent.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 08 - Hotel Inspection Day

NEW MUSIC:

(This is technically a new track, but it'll probably sound pretty familiar. That's because it was one of the two tracks that made up the Seamstresses' Union theme back in DMS)

We'll start our search from the dilapidated first floor. Whoever was occupying room 101 has left the door unlocked, which as far as I'm concerned is an invitation to enter and take everything they own.

And look at that, a safe attached to a computer terminal that's asking for a password. There's actually no way to acquire this password, so the only methods to get the safe open is either guessing correctly or bypassing the whole thing with Decking 2 which we totes don't have.

What could it be? Can YOU guess the mystery password, dear reader?

Sorry, "Chicago" was a good guess from your part but the correct answer is in fact "Naperville", a suburb of Chicago. Yeah sorry, you're pretty much expected to use Decking for this one.

This part is a small callback to DMS where one of security questions on Coyote's computer had "Chicago" as the answer, and you were meant to gleam that from the exact same poster as the one in this room.

Heroically robbing the owner of this room nets us a Smartlink version of the Ares Predator, the pistol used by literally everyone in the previous game.

While we're here we also rescue ¥302 from the cold clutches of this bedside table.

Heading back and onwards in the hallway, we come to the conclusion that too many people are smart enough to keep their doors locked. Only room 106 and the public bathrooms seem accessible.

The former nets us a BuMoNa Trauma Kit from under the bed. I'm sure nobody's coming back for it anyway.

The bathrooms turn out to be empty of anything but filth, but a part of the wall catches our attention on the way out.

With Strength 3 we could try and break it down, but we never got around to going to the gym this time either. Fortunately for us someone else did, and we can actually make use of their skills in this game.

Using doors is so 2053.

No Winters here though, and doesn't look like there are any valuables either. And after we went through the trouble of breaking down a wall and everything. The only thing that stands out is a small book next to the bed.

Ooh, a diary. I'm sure whoever owns it wouldn't have left it in their private room behind a locked door if they didn't want someone to read it, so let's take a peek.

3rd floor bathroom, 2478. Got it.

All the other walls are of sturdier make, so we head back to the elevator and press the button for floor 2, labeled "Employees Only". Probably just a friendly suggestion.

Different layout on this one. Commence exploration!

...Well when you think about it, we got surprisingly far without having to gun down anyone.

NEW MUSIC:

(Listen to that sweet industrial hammering! The looping's a little half-assed though.)

Guess these guys are the winning side of the little gang war they had going earlier. There's also an explosive barrel left in a pretty hazardous spot in the middle of the room.

Look at these sweet Mind Wipe odds, for some reason even the barrel isn't immune. Lady Lowtax there gets to be our first wipe victim.

Oh come on!

Alright, Plan B, take down the other guy first. There's a bit of anti-synergy between Glory needing to be in melee to flush people out of cover and the spread from Eiger's shotgun, but this distance is too small for sniper rifles so we risk it. Luckily she both misses Glory and blasts the goon away in a satisfying puff of red mist.

The goon boss dressed like an office lady goes for a grenade, but the only thing that takes a hit is her pride.

Ow! Appearing and shooting on the same turn ought to be illegal.

Déjà vu, except Glory isn't as lucky this time. 7 damage is no biggie but this is still a bit sloppy.

Mind Wipe's still on cooldown but we throw all the rest of our Leyline-boosted magical arsenal on the jerk with a rifle, bringing him down in one go.

The boss' grenade finds its target this time, but it's the headache-inducing rather than flesh-tearing type.

The southern goon gets greedy and commits what we in this business call a "critical error in positioning".

Dietrich blows the barrel up with a throwing knife just to show off that he can.

And we wrap things up with Flamethrower. For all the fancy death animations they added, there sadly isn't one for setting somebody on fire.

Alright, now we can explore. This terminal seems like it might help us locate the elusive Mr. Winters.

Looking at our options here, we can search by either room numbers or names while admin access is locked behind a password. This password is also not written down anywhere, and even Decking isn't an option this time. All we can do is guess.

Admin password... admin password... admin... wait. Could it be?

Incredible.

Admin access doesn't show us anything we couldn't see by searching for room numbers or names, but it does allow us to bypass the whole process and just look at the guest list.

Silke's and Winters are the two names we're interested in here, the rest are references to various Shadowrun characters and their online handles.

We can also access some personal notes relating to the two.

4th floor, room 405, door code 1989. We've got everything we need to catch the bastard now.

But first we have some more exploration to do. Going through the rest of the second floor, we pick up a maintenance key fob from the bathroom.

We can't get quite everywhere however, one of the doors in the middle of the floor is locked with no visible means of getting it open. Ah well.

With our new set of keys we take a quick detour back to the first floor, our grand adventure to the depths of the maintenance closet rewarded with 89 nuyen.

The third floor is maybe in a slightly better condition than the first, but otherwise the two appear to have identical layouts.

The maintenance closet is in the same place too, this time netting us some cram.

Silly note, doors are meant to be opened. That's what they were made for, isn't it? That is why they exist? Alright. Let's do this!

Uh.

ow ow ow please not this again

Once we've located Winters, we're gonna find the manager of this hotel and have a good long discussion about their pet policy.

At least even giant scorpions have minds, and what has a mind can also be deprived of it.

We make quick work of the defenseless arachnid afterwards.

On top of everything there's nothing in the room aside from a note on the fridge. Screw you, Steven.

Back in the hallway, we've got two rooms and a bathroom to look through. 304 is Silke's room, in case you couldn't tell from the quest markers littering the place.

This is the bathroom mentioned in the journal we found on the 1st floor, so we punch in the code written there and open it up.

Seems like Eddie had a bit of a personal drug project going here. We grab some Jazz as a souvenir and move on.

As per Silke's request we head to her room to collect her personal belongings.

Room 305 is large in size but already cleaned up of everything worthwhile. An explosion or something has kind of messed up a part of the floor here though.

This is kind of heading the wrong way but judging by our position, this should drop us behind that locked door from earlier. Hopefully it's the kind that opens from the other side.

Oops, careful, almost landed on that bled-out corpse under the sink there. Hate it when people leave those just lying around. Meanwhile the livelier guy in the same room seems a little freaked out by us falling through his kitchen ceiling.

Why are you locked in the kitchen?

Wait... you're not with those guys out there? I... um... well, I just thought...

You thought what?

I thought you were one of THEM. Y'know, the gangers that took over and shot up the place. I work...

[He catches himself.]

...That is to say, WORKED. I worked for the previous owners. When the shooting started, I shut myself in here. They - whoever they are - haven't figured out how to override my keys yet. It's been a day and a half... I don't know how much longer I can stay in here.

Tell me anything you can about this place.

Room 401, code 5870. Might as well check it out too while we're up there.

Thanks. Who's the stiff by the sink by the way?

That's the head chef, Felix. He took a hit to the chest when they raided this floor. I thought I could stop the bleeding. But, um...

[The cook lowers his gaze to the floor at his feet.]

I couldn't.

Another day, another Intelligence 3 check.

You're right next to a walk-in fridge. Don't you think it'd make more sense to drag the body in there than to leave it under the sink?

We get +1 karma for our expertise in corpse preservation. These small extra rewards are starting to add up!

Yeah. Anyway, we need to get moving, so...

Wait! You'll help me out of here, won't you? I mean, you're not just gonna leave me to die here, are you?

I took care of the guys outside. You should be able to make a run for it.

Thank you! I'm as good as gone!

The cook runs off, helpfully opening the doors on his way out. Disappointingly there's nothing else of value here, so we head back to the elevator and make our way up to the fourth floor.

Up here it almost looks like a clean and respectable hotel.

The maintenance closet bounties also grow increasingly hardcore, this time we find a mid-range frag grenade amongst the janitor equipment.

Punching in the cook's code for room 401 reveals that he was right - this is probably not a qualified hospital. The guy charging towards us with a baseball bat probably didn't graduate from a reputable medical school either.

He shoulda stuck to using that thing for its original purpose, there's no batting away shotgun shells.

Alright that's it, this hotel has now officially gone above its grenade quota.

And assault rifles are not medical instruments!

This is just enough distance for a sniper rifle to have a chance at hitting things, so Eiger promptly pops the organlegger's head like a ripe tomato.

With a little assistance from Dietrich, we light up his grenade-happy assistant and shut down this little operation for good.

Looking around for anything useful, we pick up an Advanced Medkit together with something a little unusual.

A cyberware schematic, from the looks of it one that does away with the bothersome process of having to take your dangerous drugs manually. Technology sure is amazing.

The twisty corridors all look alike on every floor. A quick look in the bathroom reveals nothing of interest, so it's time to finish what we came here for.

405 was Winters' room. Luckily the door code still works, and we step inside.

Knock knock, anyone home? We just want to ask a few questions, nobody needs to get hurt more than is deemed necessary here!

...Oh.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 18, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He's just trying to change the channel and is too lazy to get up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I read through this update while listening to the Binding of Isaac soundtrack and I have to say, that music can be oddly fitting for this game.

I love how the devs put in impossible to discover passwords that your supposed to deck your way through, but can still cheat brute force your way through.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All right, so I've got to ask- are there any mods that remove the racial stat caps for Dragonfall and/or Hong Kong? I want to play a talky troll (because trolls are cool and their portraits are the coolest) but that Charisma cap is just so urgh.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

All right, so I've got to ask- are there any mods that remove the racial stat caps for Dragonfall and/or Hong Kong? I want to play a talky troll (because trolls are cool and their portraits are the coolest) but that Charisma cap is just so urgh.

Since when is charisma 6 not enough for a talky guy? You maybe not a first class shaman, but for 95% of all CHA checks the cap is enough.

Ah the "admin" password. It's THE decker joke (in-game and outside of it). We peaked this early, it can only go worse from here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OutofSight posted:

Since when is charisma 6 not enough for a talky guy? You maybe not a first class shaman, but for 95% of all CHA checks the cap is enough.

Ah the "admin" password. It's THE decker joke (in-game and outside of it). We peaked this early, it can only go worse from here.
The four most commonly used passwords are love, secret, sex, and god.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've also been trying "password" and "password1" on every terminal I've come across.

Has to work sometime.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I can't speak for DF, but in HK my troll ran into all of one Cha check that she couldn't pass.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Of course.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Sorry, "Chicago" was a good guess from your part but the correct answer is in fact "Naperville", a suburb of Chicago. Yeah sorry, you're pretty much expected to use Decking for this one.
This part is a small callback to DMS where one of security questions on Coyote's computer had "Chicago" as the answer, and you were meant to gleam that from the exact same poster as the one in this room.

How are you supposed to guess this? Is HBS based in Naperville? The only reason I've ever heard of Naperville is because my dad grew up there.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

How are you supposed to guess this? Is HBS based in Naperville? The only reason I've ever heard of Naperville is because my dad grew up there.

You're not supposed to guess it, you either pass the decking check or you leave it behind. They put in actual passwords just because they can, seemingly.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

edit - sorry, I didn't think you'd show that since you already opened the safe.

CommissarMega posted:

For HK you can get above the racial caps via bioware and a skill, or just go the cheapass route and pick up a certain item....or as many as you like for as much charisma as you like (up to 5, one item between each mission). :getin:

Also, a charisma (cap) of 6 is loving huge. The number of charisma checks in this game and HK above 6 could be counted on one hand, and probably with room to spare.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 19, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

oops, double post.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Please leave things like "what's going to happen at the end of the mission" to me please, it's what I'm here for.

But yeah, you're not supposed to guess the first password at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh gently caress. Whatever killed Monika... did that let it out into the Matrix proper?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I know it's just a reference, but you would think that a famous decker like FastJack could afford better than a cheap squat hotel when stopping over in Berlin. Then again, I guess he's known enough that he wouldn't want to attract any Corp heat when here, especially in the figurative backyard of a mega like SK.

I think JackPoint isn't a thing yet, but he should have contacts through the various Shadowrunner data havens scattered throughout Germany, to find better accommodation. Then again, he was in what looks to be one of the effective penthouse suites of this squat, and what we saw of the 4th floor before we entered Green Winters' room doesn't look too bad, comparatively.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Glazius posted:

Oh gently caress. Whatever killed Monika... did that let it out into the Matrix proper?

Probably not. I can't imagine a way having a decker jack into a particular joint in the Matrix would allow some sort of... virus thing (?) to get out into the Matrix proper. Though, I guess that security system was probably running in a PLTG (Private Local Telecommunication Grid, basically a local locked-off area of the Matrix blocked off by IC), so maybe Monika broke some sort of IC that was actually not designed for keeping deckers out, but rather something in? Hm.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 19, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

GhostStalker posted:

I know it's just a reference, but you would think that a famous decker like FastJack could afford better than a cheap squat hotel when stopping over in Berlin. Then again, I guess he's known enough that he wouldn't want to attract any Corp heat when here, especially in the figurative backyard of a mega like SK.

I think JackPoint isn't a thing yet, but he should have contacts through the various Shadowrunner data havens scattered throughout Germany, to find better accommodation. Then again, he was in what looks to be one of the effective penthouse suites of this squat, and what we saw of the 4th floor before we entered Green Winters' room doesn't look too bad, comparatively.

People who run (or will, eventually, run) niche webforums aren't known for having huge streams of cashflow :v:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Quorum posted:

People who run (or will, eventually, run) niche webforums aren't known for having huge streams of cashflow :v:

Has JackPoint been known to sell mangosteen? :tinfoil:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mauman posted:

Also, a charisma (cap) of 6 is loving huge. The number of charisma checks in this game and HK above 6 could be counted on one hand, and probably with room to spare.
And when it's not enough a troll's two digit strength score comes in handy.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Uhhh, given what a password is supposed to do, namely stop someone from stealing your poo poo, that password is doing its job if it's not easy to guess. I ran through here without knowing any of the passwords and you don't NEED them, but they make it easier.

I ran into a bug with the Ares Smartlink pistol where I found two of them in the wilds, and they both auto-equipped themselves past my weapon limit. Useless as crap because pistols can be reloaded without AP cost but whatever.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
The giant scorpion is a rather dickish move. Pretty sure that you don't get karma for killing it (because there's no XP for murder). It's guaranteed to hurt at least one of your team. You don't get anything in the apartment, money or otherwise.

To be fair, the sign outside the door does say "Do Not Enter", but since when has that been anything but an invitation? Anyway, I now tend to walk right past that door when I'm playing. No profit in entering.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OutofSight posted:

But the etiquettes

Yeah, I know I'll be fine with 6 CHA, but I can't help but think of all the nuyen and dialogue options I'd be missing out on.

Anyway, I've just wasted spent my weekend playing the 'Antumbra Saga' mod for Dragonfall, as well as its Hong Kong-based sequels (as in they require Shadowrun: Hong Kong, not that they're actually based in Hong Kong) mods 'The Caldecott Caper' and 'CalFree in Chains' and holy poo poo they're all so good. Download and play 'em if you've got the time.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
That giant scorpion is just a hilarious bait and switch from the devs. :allears:

And this is where Shadowrun veterans start to get really nervous. So far, this was a bad bad run where the group got thrown in over their heads. Now? Looks like we have confirmation that the people we targeted aren't the type to leave loose ends.

Quorum posted:

FastJack didn't run Jackpoint for money. He's earning enough of that being one of the best deckers on the planet already.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Magni posted:

And this is where Shadowrun veterans start to get really nervous. So far, this was a bad bad run where the group got thrown in over their heads. Now? Looks like we have confirmation that the people we targeted aren't the type to leave loose ends.

Shadowrun veterans get nervous when anything unexpected which suggests you aren't getting paid enough happens. They started when they saw a state of the art blast door where the vault should be, went full on paranoid the moment said door's security blew the DMPC's brains out, started stockpiling high explosives the first time someone mentioned Feuerschwinge, and are at this moment debating the merits of trying to get ahold of strategic weaponry.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This was just a special team consisting of an overly snarky leader, a jolly punk mage, and a girl who's one step removed from being a cyberzombie. Only one with the personality to be paranoid about all this at the outset was Eiger, and she was conveniently not there.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Quorum posted:

I would think him being a big name really good decker would bring in the (electronic) bills and such.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

I would think him being a big name really good decker would bring in the (electronic) bills and such.
All the money probably goes towards newer and shinier cyber decks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

He's not going to be staying anywhere that needs a SIN, though. So maybe some terrible slum like this meets his requirements. Plus, based on Winters room, they don't mind their customers installing massive amounts of computer equipment and blowing their electricity bill sky high.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

habeasdorkus posted:

He's not going to be staying anywhere that needs a SIN, though. So maybe some terrible slum like this meets his requirements. Plus, based on Winters room, they don't mind their customers installing massive amounts of computer equipment and blowing their electricity bill sky high.

With that nightclub on the ground floor serving all of three people, one figures their electricity bill is already astronomical enough that a few techheads with a city block worth of computers isn’t gonna make things much worse.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Kanfy posted:

The twisty corridors all look alike on every floor.

I am old and appreciate this joke.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

painedforever posted:

The giant scorpion is a rather dickish move. Pretty sure that you don't get karma for killing it (because there's no XP for murder). It's guaranteed to hurt at least one of your team. You don't get anything in the apartment, money or otherwise.

To be fair, the sign outside the door does say "Do Not Enter", but since when has that been anything but an invitation? Anyway, I now tend to walk right past that door when I'm playing. No profit in entering.

I love it, actually. It's such schmuck bait and plays against every instinct an RPG gamer has. And even better, we COMPLETELY fail to learn our lesson.

KataraniSword posted:

With that nightclub on the ground floor serving all of three people, one figures their electricity bill is already astronomical enough that a few techheads with a city block worth of computers isn’t gonna make things much worse.

Fair point. And the building is probably stealing all their juice from somewhere else anyways. Rosa should probably move in and set up a bitcoin mining operation.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 19, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tiercel posted:

I somehow didn't catch that! I have failed as a nerd.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

habeasdorkus posted:

I love it, actually. It's such schmuck bait and plays against every instinct an RPG gamer has. And even better, we COMPLETELY fail to learn our lesson.

I knew it was a trap and opened it anyway, and still laughed. I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

tiercel posted:

Holy poo poo. I checked the quote and now i feel young again.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2018