Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
We all know that competent pub elves don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Help how do I dwurf

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

stepladder.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

don't have to deal with pub elves if you play one

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

rap music posted:

i'm still not sure how i'm taking so much damage

fyp

The best player in that screenshot is player number 2 hth.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Elves... Find a way.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

FunkMonkey posted:

Help how do I dwurf

get to lvl 7->ironbreaker->win

the only downside is that dorf ironbreaker spoils you by being so durable and then you suck at everything else.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nearly quadruple the amount of damage done of the next closest player, nearly triple the damage taken of the next closest player, the platonic ideal of elf

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Mayflies to the left of me, Lumberfoots to the right

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So +HP on Crits is probably the best choice for Slayer Bardin, right? I've been trying to get into Slayer but need better gear first, but anyone care to share their talent loadout for Slayer? There's a few choices I've been flip-flopping between and would like someone who's good at Slayer to tell me what to take :shobon:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Slayer is a ton of fun to play, but Ironbreaker makes it easy to routinely carry games. The class's kit is remarkably strong and versatile. The plasma pistols Drakefire pistols primary fire allows you to to trivially delete standard enemies at range and the secondary lets you kill 5-10 dudes per click during swarms. The 1h-axe gives you very good armor penetration that kills Stormvermin in 2 swings and Marauders in 3. And the shield... use one, because anything else in that slot would be redundant. Your ranged weapon already does great DPS, so you may as well give yourself more options by taking a control-focused melee weapon. There was the discussion a couple pages back about the usefulness of shields and the role of "dedicated controller" in general. To me, it's less about assuming a role meant to stun things ad infinitum and more about having the option to do so when necessary. A trio of monks is closing in and about to eat your Sienna? Repeatedly hit them with push or heavy attack, allowing her to disengage and/or kill them. A few Marauders about to hit your Saltzpyre? Same deal.

The class is perfect for random groups because it allows you to compensate for sloppy mistakes -- both your own and those of your teammates. You can eat a Chaos Warrior's overhead swing to the back (or a similarly colossal fuckup) and take literally zero damage so long as you haven't made a significant mistake in the last 13 seconds. Thus your overall damage taken is usually going to be quite low, effectively providing your teammates with more healing consumables. You prevent any less competent allies from getting nickel-and-dimed in melee combat by shooting poo poo before it gets close to them or stunlocking everything when they make a Leeroy charge into the middle of a pack.

Yeah, under ideal circumstances these things wouldn't be necessary. But whether a lovely situation is created by poor player decisions or a sadistic director algorithm, giving yourself more tools is going to improve your odds of success. It's no fun to be forced to watch your teammate get slowly killed by a Leech because they're on an upper platform and you have no way to damage it at range as a Slayer.

P.S. Don't shoot your teammates with the Drakefires. It's really not hard unless they're literally bunnyhopping through your character model.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

nearly quadruple the amount of damage done of the next closest player, nearly triple the damage taken of the next closest player, the platonic ideal of elf

i mean damage taken includes blocked boss attacks right because i pull A LOT of aggro :dukedog:

explosivo posted:

So +HP on Crits is probably the best choice for Slayer Bardin, right? I've been trying to get into Slayer but need better gear first, but anyone care to share their talent loadout for Slayer? There's a few choices I've been flip-flopping between and would like someone who's good at Slayer to tell me what to take :shobon:

i heard that health on crit is broken currently so i'm sticking with health on kill for now

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It also includes temp health from level 20 talents, not that goons take a moment to think about their post

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Drythe posted:

It also includes temp health from level 20 talents, not that goons take a moment to think about their post

oh for sure that makes up the difference

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

rap music posted:

i heard that health on crit is broken currently so i'm sticking with health on kill for now

I didn't know that was a thing but strongly suspected it. I was rolling with it last night and didn't notice that much of an improvement.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

oh for sure that makes up the difference
And even ignoring that, its still one player doing more than the rest of their team put together in every single metric that I can see. gently caress that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

rap music posted:

i'm still not sure how i'm doing so much damage

If you got a temp health trait, everytime it ticks down it counts as damage taken and since your killing everything you'll have constant damage taken.

I've had a similar scoreboard to that recently as elf with swiftbow, teammates doing 2k damage with 100-200 kills each and I had 13k damage with 700 kills.

Elf is fine.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Drythe posted:

People need to stop throwing this around as a defence about why they took so much damage. Sure, it is an issue, but it is an issue for everyone not just for them. The Bardin/Kruber/whoever who only took 100 damage still has to deal with this, and for it to be an issue in the stats tables you have to take a ton of damage in the first place to build up enough temp hp for it to make a difference.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Dravs posted:

People need to stop throwing this around as a defence about why they took so much damage. Sure, it is an issue, but it is an issue for everyone not just for them. The Bardin/Kruber/whoever who only took 100 damage still has to deal with this, and for it to be an issue in the stats tables you have to take a ton of damage in the first place to build up enough temp hp for it to make a difference.

:qq:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
"Incoming horde guys, let's take cover against this wall"

Dwarf follows, witch hunter and bright wizard immediately rush out into the open.

Every. Time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What is even :qq: about that post besides the fact that you really want to disagree with it

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Digirat posted:

What is even :qq: about that post besides the fact that you really want to disagree with it

:qq:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait i think i found a more platonic ideal of an elf main

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

wait i think i found a more platonic ideal of an elf main

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

does any1 know if beam staff is affected by attackspeed?

e: nevermind, just tested, it affects the LMB ticks

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 19, 2018

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Just one more post to say that playing with try hard waywatchers and pyromancers really sucks; it's not fun to walk around trying to get a kill in and invariably getting burned/shot in the back for my trouble. This is on champion btw. Sure i get to pick off some stragglers in a horde, cool.

Ranged is always the preferred option because there is no risk involved, this is balanced by your limited ammo/heat mechanic meaning you often have to save ranged for specials, and i cannot believe that they decided to make ranged-focused classes in a game that has melee combat balanced around a really satisfying risk/reward equation.

Also, temp health shouldn't be in the game, it's just broken and shouldn't be necessary. In VT1 bloodlust/regrowth was a must, and some permutations (hagbane for elf, regrowth conflag +bloodlust sword for sienna, regrowth 1h hammer for dwarf) were almost broken, it made weapon traits boring and many red weapons poo poo as you had to have bloodlust as one of your three. This game would be better without any temp health. It also makes level 20 skills pointless as they're all the same for everyone and only one is clearly worth choosing, even if health on crit worked properly it couldn't match temp health on kill, especially when there are over a thousand enemies per level.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dravs posted:

It is not uncommon to "take more damage" then the guys eating up all the health items or dying several times in a level, the tanks usually take the boss HP trait over temp health and even if they didn't you'll be killing so much so often you'll always have the most temp health.

If you have 50% real health and 50% temp and a couple slaves hit you down to 40% real health but by the next wave you regen to 50/50 again, did you really "take damage" in any meaningful way?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dravs posted:

Or you know that you are going to kill so much poo poo that you don't need to worry about chip damage between your temp health and regen, so you just don't bother unless you get a little too low for comfort. Its probably better to take a single rat hit if it means you get off an extra shot against a special about to gently caress you/an ally up, especially knowing it'll be back. Even better, if you're already on temp health, letting hits go to your temp health (that was going to drain off anyway) means that you basically took no "real" damage. Yeah, in an ideal world, people wouldn't take temp damage health, and a lot of the people using "but it was my temp health!" as an excuse are basically saying "but my temp health let me play sloppily!" and they're right. That's what it does. That's what its there for.

The real point is that "damage taken" as a metric is also supposed to be a stand-in for "how much of the team's resources in terms of health pickups did I use?" and if its in an elf running with Natural Bond and decent temp health gains, the answer is probably not much. Someone that never touches a healthpack/item can take all the damage they want, in my opinion.

But still, I think that entire chart is hosed and hope Fatshark fixes the class, career, and weapon balance fast.

Rabelais D posted:

Ranged is always the preferred option because there is no risk involved, this is balanced by your limited ammo/heat mechanic meaning you often have to save ranged for specials, and i cannot believe that they decided to make ranged-focused classes in a game that has melee combat balanced around a really satisfying risk/reward equation.
Yep, ammo regen mechanics that completely break the system need to go the gently caress away immediately. BH could work as-is if they changed it so that the level 15 talent wouldn't stack with Scrounger, for instance, or in some way made it so that you didn't get a "crit" effect while still keeping some buff from it. Sienna being able to vent all overcharge on a ridiculously short active cooldown renders all the work of balancing her heat pointless. Kerillian is obvious. etc.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 19, 2018

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

as a natural bond elf i'm actually being extremely altruistic by passing up health pots i bet you jerks didn't even consider that

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rap music posted:

as a natural bond elf i'm actually being extremely altruistic by passing up health pots i bet you jerks didn't even consider that

I did, and I still wouldn't want to play with you.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Dravs posted:

If one player is getting 50-75% of the kills then, no, the other players don't have nearly as much temp health to bleed. So if you have someone with high kills that's level 20+, damage taken becomes pretty meaningless by itself. You really have to look at downs and healing items used to get an actual read.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Rabelais D posted:

Also, temp health shouldn't be in the game, it's just broken and shouldn't be necessary. In VT1 bloodlust/regrowth was a must, and some permutations (hagbane for elf, regrowth conflag +bloodlust sword for sienna, regrowth 1h hammer for dwarf) were almost broken, it made weapon traits boring and many red weapons poo poo as you had to have bloodlust as one of your three. This game would be better without any temp health. It also makes level 20 skills pointless as they're all the same for everyone and only one is clearly worth choosing, even if health on crit worked properly it couldn't match temp health on kill, especially when there are over a thousand enemies per level.
I wonder if temp health was added as a counterbalance to some attacks now damaging even through block?

I agree though, it's way too good as currently implemented

edit: I guess VT1 had damage-through-block with Roger's slam, though.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 19, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dravs posted:

please don't be mad at people for actually utilizing the temp health mechanic to tank damage and slaughter faster

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ravenfood posted:

Or you know that you are going to kill so much poo poo that you don't need to worry about chip damage between your temp health and regen, so you just don't bother unless you get a little too low for comfort.

At this point you're not playing the game, just jerking off and making three other people watch.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

Just gonna thank Whiskey and Poophole for a fun time earlier. Some moments hairier than Kruber's upper lip, but overall many rats got blended. Good times.

p.s. rate my Saltzpyre impression plz

10/10, improved my immersion in this game.

I keep getting told by pubs that I take too much damage at Recruit. Does blocking in this game something you get over time or are pubs going to assume I need to be a no hit Dwarf to play the class?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

10/10, improved my immersion in this game.

I keep getting told by pubs that I take too much damage at Recruit. Does blocking in this game something you get over time or are pubs going to assume I need to be a no hit Dwarf to play the class?

Blocking and dodging is something you learn over time and actually the Dwarf Iron Breaker teaches you bad habits because you can be way lazier. It's teaching me bad habits, for sure. I'm trying to get better at remembering to dodge. I feel like I've got it down on bosses and the like, but I still eat way too many heavy hits due to not dodging properly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

At this point you're not playing the game, just jerking off and making three other people watch.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean Dravs is right about how "damage taken" should be interpreted in a game with both temp health and regeneration.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 19, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I had some pub yell at me for taking a lot of “damage” as sienna yesterday and I had to explain to them what venting is lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zephro posted:

I wonder if temp health was added as a counterbalance to some attacks now damaging even through block?

I agree though, it's way too good as currently implemented

edit: I guess VT1 had damage-through-block with Roger's slam, though.

Yeah, you couldn't block everything the rat ogre did.

I don't think temp health is a bad idea, they just give it out too goddamn much. If it was 10% like bloodlust was, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I honestly think the best thing to do would be to remove the health on crit/kill and instead make them regrowth and bloodlust, because having a constant shield of health that's going to go away kinda breaks... everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The temp health definitely feels like a tacked-on afterthought. And the fact that all classes have the same set of talents at the same level really reinforced that for me. I hit 20 on my Dwarf, still playing Iron Breaker with the 1 hit absorption every 13 seconds, a 2h Hammer, and a "gain temp health on kill" and it's just made the game silly. I can play super sloppy and still fumble my way through, and I am by no definition "good."

I'd rather see them do away with temp health and add actual interesting talents for level 20.