Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

so with this and the Analytica news, how uh, deeply is facebook involved in all this poo poo? Is Zuck hosed?

Zuck's dreams of the presidency are over; Facebook will be called in front of Congress and probably raked over the coals by everybody but absolute Trump zealots. Facebook's entire business model is being exposed as really bad and they've recently stopped growing their user base, so while it's not over, Facebook is going to spend a lot of money trying to unfuck itself and get killed in the press from here to eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
Technology is changing how we commit crimes so quickly that this generation's criminals haven't even had the time to learn the basics. Like not admitting to their crimes.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I didn't find the Cambridge Analytica stuff to be very damning. I'm no lawyer, but all CA staff recorded in the video are acting in a sales capacity, and salespeople embellish and lie all the loving time. So unless Channel 4 can follow up with hard evidence (internal emails, contracts that detail methods used, etc.) then the whole thing is academically interesting at best.

I hope I'm wrong though. The fuckers need to burn.

The dude bragging about arranging hookers to blackmail was the CEO.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KickerOfMice posted:

And to respond to this specifically, Emma G and David Hogg were on one of the morning shows today-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRCGkWVD4aI

At one point she's asked about threats leveled against her (because internet,) and responds quite correctly "They can't find fault in our message, so they attack us."

The girl's right. :smuggo:

Reminder that this infrastructure week ends with the "stop shooting us, ok?" march at D.C.

Yeah, they and some of the other kid leaders including Cameron H were on 60 Minutes last night. They said a bunch of interesting stuff including that they've established what's essentially a secret headquarters because they're worried that they could become the targets of violence. David also said that his father owns a gun and it makes him feel safer, which really undermines the whole "they hate the second amendment/want to take away all your guns" bullshit attack the right likes to make.

But as Emma said they can't find an angle to attack their ideas so all they're left with are attacks on the kids and condescending that they should be in school and respect their elders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Mueller manages to take down two billionaires for the price of one, that's just an extra reason to celebrate

alleged billionares, at least

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

RevKrule posted:

When you have your CEO saying he can get underage girls that he'll use to entrap your political opponents, that's a little beyond general salesperson embellishments.

I don't think he said underage girls (I rewatched that segment to make sure).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/ceciliakang/status/975864083407867904

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

I didn't find the Cambridge Analytica stuff to be very damning. I'm no lawyer, but all CA staff recorded in the video are acting in a sales capacity, and salespeople embellish and lie all the loving time. So unless Channel 4 can follow up with hard evidence (internal emails, contracts that detail methods used, etc.) then the whole thing is academically interesting at best.

I hope I'm wrong though. The fuckers need to burn.

The British police rushed a warrant so they can search their poo poo now. I think something big is going down.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation

Xae posted:

The dude bragging about arranging hookers to blackmail was the CEO.

Yes, I know. And one of the main jobs of a CEO is to bring in high-profile clients, i.e. sales.

TulliusCicero posted:

The British police rushed a warrant so they can search their poo poo now. I think something big is going down.

I hope so. Like I said, I hope they burn.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

What is Looks like when a person follows the advice of their PR / crisis management team and lawyers, as opposed to melting down on twitter

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Mueller manages to take down two billionaires for the price of one, that's just an extra reason to celebrate

More than anyone the two people I hope go down in all this are Jack Dorsey and Biz Stone. Those two fucks need to burn for Twitter's role in this madness.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xae posted:

Facebook's people were almost certainly there before the piece aired.

Unless you know of a way guys can fly from CA to the UK a couple of hours.

Most contracts involving data sharing allow the provider to audit the receiver of the data. This is done as a CYA so the provider can gather evidence and sue in the event of a suspected breach.

Or sometimes they audit just be assholes. Though in the one case I was involved in the company responded by purchasing the provider and firing most of the people in "totally not retaliation" since the audit turned into a huge clusterfuck.

Why would they fly someone in from California? It doesn't take long to get from Facebook's London office to CA's office.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I don't think he said underage girls (I rewatched that segment to make sure).

sending prostitutes to your political opponents to film and blackmail them is illegal even if they're not underage, hth

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's bizarre to me that they've literally stuffed ballots. Doesn't Putin pretty much have the whole vertical administration in his pocket? They could just add ballots after the fact.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Taffer posted:

sending prostitutes to your political opponents to film and blackmail them is illegal even if they're not underage, hth
If they could *somehow* tie this back to Jared Kushner, I'd find religion.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Stickman posted:

It's bizarre to me that they've literally stuffed ballots. Doesn't Putin pretty much have the whole vertical administration in his pocket? They could just add ballots after the fact.
Maybe it's just easier/cheaper to stuff ballots at the precinct level and leave the higher-level stuff "clean"?

These videos just show that vote-stuffing happened, which Putin can blame on the opposition and use to fuel "additional voter security" to increase police state powers.

Basically Kris Kobach's wet dream.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mark Zuckerberg belongs in prison.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fix News is basically running with “CA isn’t a big story ““ because “Obama did the same thing in 2012.”

They’re shook.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fun fact, Russian bots are starting the push of "these gifs were taken in competitive districts in the US during the 2016 election/Alabama/Pennsylvania.".

In case you were wondering why it's so blatant. Get that video feed for the US primaries.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Fun fact, Russian bots are starting the push of "these gifs were taken in competitive districts in the US during the 2016 election/Alabama/Pennsylvania.".

In case you were wondering why it's so blatant. Get that video feed for the US primaries.

the March 18th US elections? That had cyrillic writing on the door?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Must have been a cold winter in Alabama for them to bust out the ushankas.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Stickman posted:

Alternatively, they want people to see. They want to flaunt the fact that they're powerful enough to do whatever the hell they feel like. It's demoralizing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stickman posted:

Must have been a cold winter in Alabama for them to bust out the ushankas.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/voter-fraud-in-2016-primary/

https://us-east-1.tchyn.io/snopes-production/uploads/2016/10/democrat-voter-fraud-proof-2016.jpg?resize=830%2C449

They already started doing it with gifs that had the Russian flag in them. Didn't stop a whole bunch of MAGAchuds from taking it as the gospel.

You want to muddle 2018 elections, what better way to do it then with stuff like this.

Like yeah it's silly, but they've already attempted it once and it worked pretty well. It apparently blew up Freep for awhile. What makes you think they wouldn't do a round 2 for these clutch elections like Lamb/Doug, or anything in 2018.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

Alternatively, they want people to see. They want to flaunt the fact that they're powerful enough to do whatever the hell they feel like. It's demoralizing.

That seems ... sadly plausible.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'd like to believe that at least in some cases it's a safe way to demonstrate just how illegitimate the election was.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KickerOfMice posted:

And to respond to this specifically, Emma G and David Hogg were on one of the morning shows today-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRCGkWVD4aI

At one point she's asked about threats leveled against her (because internet,) and responds quite correctly "They can't find fault in our message, so they attack us."

The girl's right. :smuggo:

Reminder that this infrastructure week ends with the "stop shooting us, ok?" march at D.C.

Emma is going to be the second female president of the United States.

the first will be Tulsi Gabbard when Bernie resigns for health reasons in 2022, because I made a monkey's paw wish

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slugworth posted:

Literally the entire function of advertising is to influence behavior?

That is its purpose,sure, but calling it voter suppression implies something forced upon the ad viewers.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Why is there no Vox explainer on this CA stuff? Is there anyone else who has a simple explanation to tell me why to be outraged?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Katt posted:

When I got my license I was taught to maintain a speed so I could break in time for anything that might appear just outside my field of vision.

I also live in a country where the driver is held responsible for all accidents involving pedestrians unless the circumstances are extraordinary.

Like "yeah that lady spontaneously decided to skip across a crowded street as a detour but we specifically told you during your license training that this is the sort of things pedestrians do all the time. It was in the questions for the tests. You know that they do this and we told you to always watch out for it."

So was I, as it happens, but my driving school was exceptional.

Part of how I know they were exceptional is that they failed me on my first driving test and made me do more practice. :v:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Politically, from her point of view it may be better if Trump tried to fire Mueller. It won’t stop the investigation, and will absolutely cause massive protests and increase the size of the blue wave.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Bit slow on the uptake lads:

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/975862833207496705

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

alleged billionares, at least

Zuck is a real billionaire.

Donnie has a bunch of russian paper with big numbers.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why is there no Vox explainer on this CA stuff? Is there anyone else who has a simple explanation to tell me why to be outraged?

Instead of waiting to be spoonfed with easy-digested pap that may give you the mistaken idea that everything must be made simple, why don't you just sit down and read an adult newspaper and interact with the world like an engaged citizen?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/series/cambridge-analytica-files

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

Um... big analytical firm uses data to influence elections, breaks a poo poo ton of campaign finance laws (such as disclosure) and is tied to not only Trump and the GOP but also Brexit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I was going to say the EU doesn't gently caress around when it comes to fines but then I realized they're not in the EU anymore

this has come up before, they still are

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So was I, as it happens, but my driving school was exceptional.

Part of how I know they were exceptional is that they failed me on my first driving test and made me do more practice. :v:

Where I am there was a death three days ago because a bicyclist fell over right in front of a car. I guess that driver's driving instructor needs to turn in their driving instructor's license now?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation

First Ukranian hookers, then the prospect of Trump's dick pics.

Man, what a day...

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I can already hear the nukes fly.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How do you know Putin’s opposition isn’t the one stuffing the ballots? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Stormy is the real victim in all of this.

• Locked thread