Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like heroic deeds are a bit too rare, played since release and I got 177 gemcutters toolkits from salvaging endless trinkets but I've only got 6 heroic deeds, 2 of them for veteran 4 for champion.
I'd like to do the challenge of them more if they weren't so rare.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Whats the best elf class?

Shade is the worst, Waystalker is the best in my option, but I got insta-kicked from a legendary group today because I wasn't handmaiden so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like heroic deeds are a bit too rare, played since release and I got 177 gemcutters toolkits from salvaging endless trinkets but I've only got 6 heroic deeds, 2 of them for veteran 4 for champion.
I'd like to do the challenge of them more if they weren't so rare.

Shade is the worst, Waystalker is the best in my option, but I got insta-kicked from a legendary group today because I wasn't handmaiden so :shrug:

Whats good about handmaiden? Doesn't seem like mobility is that great when you need to deathblob

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Whats good about handmaiden? Doesn't seem like mobility is that great when you need to deathblob

The bonuses for CC are nice (stamina not just the dodge buffs) and before the wayfarer got fixed/buffed the handmaiden was the best one IMO. I could see on legendary the need to CC more but I'm only up to champion myself.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd be curious to know who's kicking because someone wasn't Handmaiden. The class is garbage, and I've seen the arguments people make in favor of it on the Fatshark forums. They boil around pointing out how it is the 'CC' Elf Class and ignore the facts that the spear is the only weapon she has which reliably pushes enemies up to SV and that her stam regen only augments her and not the rest of the team because auras have the range of an open door. If Kruber or Bardin are tanking then they already have stamina in spades and regenerate it just fine on their own, in addition to having more HP. Her other weapons are middling to weak and her ranged options are kind of poo poo and will be outdone by the Pyromancer. The Elf can bring a swiftbow and be the horde clearer only if they line up, otherwise the Drakegun or Flamestorm staff can do it. Or Bounty Hunter Saltzpyre, because let's be honest here nobody is using Zealot or WHC in the public setting when infinite crit shots is a reality. The Hagbane is pure :lol: and the Longbow is your standard sniper weapon, and Handmaiden will suffer damage falloff.

I cannot see any feasibility for the Handmaiden on Champion or Legend. All of her talents and bonuses suck. She just sucks, plain and true. If your entire team is tanking and CC then you're only hurting yourself and making it unlikely you'll output damage to progress. She can be fine on Champion but you're clearly taking the worse class because your active sucks and you only have your basic implements to apply in combat.

But this is all moot. I foresee a sweeping 1.5-esque patch in April that rebalances the game entirely because the Legend challenge is an e-peen joke and some classes, like our dear Handmaiden, are clearly unfinished and lazily implemented. Nobody is going to have a team where the Handmaiden is the tank & CC. That's not only practically impossible to work, it's an unreasonable burden.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Handmaiden is fun in the sense that you can get more stam regen and push sweep with the spear but I'd only do that on champion for a change of pace

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

'Will be outdone by Pyromancer' refers to literally every ranged option in the game, including the Waystalker.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Pyromancer is the ultimate ranged class, it's true. Waystalker used to have that whole "regen" thing going for her but then they nerfed it to only work until 50% soooooo... yeah. Pyromancer.

The elf seems to have suffered a lot, although the spear is really good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I'm not quite a fan of the handmaiden either, her ult doesn't really -do- anything in the same way waystalker or pyro can instantly delete threats with a button press and the waystalker can still melee just as well, less stamina regen, but more crit chance.

On another note everyone should shut up and watch this video.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/85kbzr/heroes_get_remembered_but_legends_never_die/

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
When did they add the bleedout effect to the Handmaiden's charge?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Senethro posted:

When did they add the bleedout effect to the Handmaiden's charge?

At launch. It doesn't work on Stormvermin/armored enemies and bosses btw, and I'm pretty sure that was a stealth nerf. Could have sworn it bypassed shields and hurt them some.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The best thing the Handmaiden f does is launch you off the side of the map on halescourge

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The best thing the Handmaiden f does is launch you off the side of the map on halescourge

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Is there a perfect killsquad that people will take? I don't wanna be booted because I'm not using a flail or something. Flail seems like an arse weapon.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

From my perspective the strictly best team is Kruber-Foot Knight, Bardin-Ironbreaker, Sienna-Pyromancer, and Saltzpyre-Bounty Hunter. Kruber and Bardin are just unstoppable, Bardin in particular, and they can just never run out of stamina, not to mention Kruber has his Halberd and Bardin gets access to the Drakefire weaponry. Bounty Hunter's virtues have been extolled plenty by now. Sienna and Kerillian are horde clearers and everything in between however they're played. At least Waystalker gets the Trueshot Volley to help kill out of sight enemies and regenerating ammo to stay in the fight.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
people were confused about the flamethrowers last page, so here's how they work (the staff and the drakegun both work the same way): the LMB releases one blast of flame that knocks back; holding the RMB charges it up and LMB then fires a stream of fire that damages but doesn't knock back; the longer you held down RMB before firing the more the stream goes for

charging it up for like 8 seconds will let you completely melt the gigantic tide of chaff that shows up with hordes

e: this is not telegraphed very well and it took me a map of screwing around with the drakegun to work it out; it could probably stand to have a more obvious "taking in air/power" type effect to make it more obvious that This Is A Charge Beam

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 20, 2018

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

How do I know when I'm critting with the Beam Staff?

I tried to listen for an audio cue on the training dummies, but all I can hear is the "clank-clank" of the dummy rattling.

I know the high pitched pinging type noise is from headshots. So I'm not sure about crits.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Is there a perfect killsquad that people will take? I don't wanna be booted because I'm not using a flail or something. Flail seems like an arse weapon.

Not really, no, at least nothing so bad I'd ever boot anybody. IMHO there are basically three things that wipe parties - hoards that people take in the open allowing themselves to get chipped to death, special spawns that gently caress the party, and bosses.

The first one is dealt with primarily through tactical decisions and maybe weapon choice. The second is mostly about weapon choice and reaction time (if you can kill a blightstormer or an assassin before it fucks the part, for instance). The final one is mostly about class choice because clearing a boss quickly requires at least one person who can bossfuck with impunity.

No class is so bad that they can't handle the first two problems through skill though. And the third one is mitigated by not getting hit by the boss, which also requires skill.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

The weapon I'm asking about is the Drakegun. It fires a burst of flame with the M1 and from what I can gather, when you press M2 you sort of hold it outwards more and you can release longer clouds of fire. It's never a steady stream like a flame thrower or anything like that.

It's probably too low level, but I'm running Vet difficulty missions and right now even with a Blue rank weapon (whatever rank that is) it feels like I'm just sort of lightly toasting everything instead of melting them with infernos of death.

Just wanted to 100% check you’re doing this right. Hold down M2 and you’ll see your heat meter start to rise. There is a maximum. The longer you let it grow, the longer the flamethrower will last. When you want to fire, start holding M1 down. Do not let go of either of these buttons. You should now be spewing forth flames for a long period of time and wrecking hordes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Just wanted to 100% check you’re doing this right. Hold down M2 and you’ll see your heat meter start to rise. There is a maximum. The longer you let it grow, the longer the flamethrower will last. When you want to fire, start holding M1 down. Do not let go of either of these buttons. You should now be spewing forth flames for a long period of time and wrecking hordes.

I did not know that's how it worked, it's never explained. Good post.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Handmaiden is probably my favorite subclass. I don't think she's super good, but I do feel very safe playing one. Her mobility, stamina, and the speed + range on the spear let me easily stay out of danger in so, so many situations where I feel helpless on other characters. I was unimpressed with her active ability when I first started messing around with her but after spending a whole lot of time playing handmaiden, I think it is excellent. Longbow is still pretty loving good at killing specials even with damage falloff, too.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 20, 2018

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

What's good for the ironbreaker? That's probably going to be what I play because I love that freakin dwarf.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Now that Huntsman's talents function, I decided to finally give him more of a fair shake. I was incredibly pleased with what I found. With the ammo talents working reliably, I can afford to throw away more shots on random things. Which makes up for my lack of powerful melee related talents and ply Huntsman's strengths where they matter most. As noted a bit back, Kruber's longbow differs greatly from Kerillian's in the matters of damage and armor pen. Which makes him far better suited to pick off certain targets for the group than her. Including clutch saves when those kinds flank. With his stealth working properly, he's also better at taking care of Rot Helms than BH. The first dies to the opening mega crit, and the rest depends on how well you aim for the remaining ones. If your group was unfortunate enough to have several at once. Which does happen often enough to talk about disposing of them safely. His boss killing power is also still fairly noticeable versus others. With more ammo rolling around than before, I can afford to pick off anything troublesome and still be prepared for a boss.

There's certainly some overlap here, but he's distinct enough to be worth consideration.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

handmaiden because you can press f to LUMBERFOOTS

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Waystrider has practically infinite ammo and a high killy special on a short cool down.

Handmaiden... exists? She has a ton of stamina and is theory the dodge and push tank, being the defensive class, but it's nothing special and nothing anyone else can't do, while the other elf classes are unique.

Shade when built for it can one hit everything shy of a boss on basically a somewhat-weighted-against-you coinflip, (30% is the max, I believe) which is quite feisty. The waystrider is more reliable, though, but being able to just rapidly click into a stormvermin patrol and take care of it is fun in its own right.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Somebody in this game gonna get a bat wrapped in barbed wire so we can bash rats the proper Charlie work way or what.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SuperKlaus posted:

Somebody in this game gonna get a bat wrapped in barbed wire so we can bash rats the proper Charlie work way or what.

Probably not. Fatshark has to run everything by GW, and they are kind sticklers about their lore.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I would unironically use the mace on every character you can if there was a nailbat skin or something for them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The hours melt away playing this game for me in a way that I have no experienced in a long time. Just had a double grimoire finish and that poo poo was intense.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I just had my first proper run through the Halescourge fight and hahaha what the gently caress is this poo poo. A boss that teleports across the arena on like a five second cooldown in a melee-centric game, okay.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

:aaa:

I did not know this and I'll give this a try asap.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Vargs posted:

Handmaiden is probably my favorite subclass. I don't think she's super good, but I do feel very safe playing one. Her mobility, stamina, and the speed + range on the spear let me easily stay out of danger in so, so many situations where I feel helpless on other characters. I was unimpressed with her active ability when I first started messing around with her but after spending a whole lot of time playing handmaiden, I think it is excellent. Longbow is still pretty loving good at killing specials even with damage falloff, too.

I like it. You can tank through some absurd stuff if you get the extra stamina regen talent and a block cost reduction item. The only thing that will get through are attacks that bleed your whole stamina pool, and even then, only if you take it along with another hit less than a quarter second after it.

The F is mostly meh until you get the 25 talent to give you a 3 second stealth whenever you use it. You can zip around and revive people completely ignored, heal yourself, fly around a corner and kill a gunner that's pinning everyone, etc. It's one of those abilities that's useful but not amazing, until it saves a run.

dmboogie posted:

handmaiden because you can press f to LUMBERFOOTS

Also this, a screaming, echoing Lumberfoots is the best thing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So am I right in assuming this game is close enough to L4D that at some point I will be able to play as Shrek?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PantsBandit posted:

So am I right in assuming this game is close enough to L4D that at some point I will be able to play as Shrek?

We’ll see when mod tools are in, but hopes are up!

Edit: Oh man, his ult battle cry.... GET OUT OF MAH SWAMP

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 20, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PantsBandit posted:

More importantly; will I be able to play as shrek, fighting a horde of shreks while every sound clip is replaced with Smash Mouth's hit song All Star

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's so surreal playing a vermintide where the repeater pistol is worth bringing.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm a lowbie, so ymmv, but Handmaiden is definitely my favorite class right now, and it's mostly because of the active ability. (F? What's this "F"? I believe you mean "Delete")

Being able to get where you need to, whether it's getting yourself out of trouble, or diving INTO trouble to save a friend is great, and the cool-down is absurdly low. If you can dash behind, say, Kruber, and you've got a spear, you can pretty much remove an entire hoard without any worries.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

It's so surreal playing a vermintide where the repeater pistol is worth bringing.

I love it. I just buff my ammo count and rain headshots down all game. The alt fire seems mostly useless though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Digirat posted:

Is there still a big community for the first game? How would you compare it? I missed it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp, turns out that holding down M2 before firing the Drakegun makes a HUGE loving difference! Thanks Real Cool Catfish!

Is there practically any point to even using M1 by itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Is there still a big community for the first game? How would you compare it? I missed it.

I haven't checked but I assume most people just moved on to 2

The repeater pistol is outclassed by the brace in almost every way in 1. The brace actually has a good amount of ammo, 56 instead of 20 (wtf) so the repeater's tiny damage and rapidly decreasing accuracy mean it offers almost nothing the brace doesn't, since its higher ammo cap is offset by needing twice as much ammo to kill anything

the repeater handgun on the other hand :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn55Og_PygM