Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is the beam staff supposed to be used like this in single target boss fights?

https://clips.twitch.tv/CoyLovelyLionPrimeMe

Seems kind of powerful.

Yes, it's insanely powerful. I imagine it will be toned down eventually.

Though with the new crit tick fix I think it's probably better to not use the snipe on a boss and just keep the beam on its head. It kills any special with ease though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Though with the new crit tick fix I think it's probably better to not use the snipe on a boss and just keep the beam on its head. It kills any special with ease though.

Nice, thanks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
GOTY https://s1.webmshare.com/Pe3gq.webm

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rats Too is pretty good so far!

Dwarf remains best in class

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

We fought Barbecue Hufflepuff last night on Champion. Our Kruber shoulder slammed him just as he tried to teleport and the boss wound up frozen in place, where we just wailed on him until he died. Curious if they fixed that behavior or not.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mendrian posted:

We fought Barbecue Hufflepuff last night on Champion. Our Kruber shoulder slammed him just as he tried to teleport and the boss wound up frozen in place, where we just wailed on him until he died. Curious if they fixed that behavior or not.

I poked him through the ceiling on one of his perches, he glitched forward and immediately died.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just fought him and died because my teammates decided to pick up two grims even though it was obvious we would have struggled even at full health

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

fadam posted:

This is going to sound dumb, but does anyone know if there's a reliable way to suicide off a cliff edge as Bright Wizard? I can't get the teleport to work.

I wrote a really basic AHK leveling script that queues for the cliff map, runs into the bridge, waits for the ultimate to charge, then uses a dash/jump to suicide (shoutouts to the guy who posted this strat in here earlier), and BW is the only class I can't get to work.

uninstall

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is champion pickup groups a waste of time? I'm having no goddamn luck with them.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Not empty quoting.

EDIT: I just don't get the appeal. Leveling in this game allows you to take on harder difficulties, or to do easier difficulties while trivializing the content of those difficulties. If you take on Champion with a level 30 you've never played and have no practical experience, you'll just lose. The basic rat-bashing gameplay is the same at all difficulties so again... why?

Is it just pure skinnerbox fixation?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 21, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Mendrian posted:

Not empty quoting.

EDIT: I just don't get the appeal. Leveling in this game allows you to take on harder difficulties, or to do easier difficulties while trivializing the content of those difficulties. If you take on Champion with a level 30 you've never played and have no practical experience, you'll just lose. The basic rat-bashing gameplay is the same at all difficulties so again... why?

Is it just pure skinnerbox fixation?

to play devils advocate its because a lot of content is gated behind what amounts to arbitrary 'checkpoints', its less like MMO levels where there's a sense of progression and more like if Left4Dead forced you to play with the smg before you could use the m16.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

It'd be neat if they changed beamstaff to escalate damage the longer it stays on target to give it its own sort of niche as a dedicated bosskiller, with the fireblast as a secondary panic button to give you time to swap over to melee.

It actually already does this up to a point, try it on the training dummy!

Also argh steam maintenance.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Node posted:

Is champion pickup groups a waste of time? I'm having no goddamn luck with them.

Luck meaning you get wiped a lot? Eh idk but veteran and below is just dull with no FF. I lose a lot of champ runs and I finish a lot of champ runs, it really depends on how naturally cohesive the group is and how good the Sienna player is.

Any particular reason the game cant connect to steam? There are rats that need bashing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

It actually already does this up to a point, try it on the training dummy!

Also argh steam maintenance.

huh, I mean evidently its not noticeable enough because I tend to use the beam like a laser sight and the moment it touches their face I blow it up and that works invariably amazing in all circumstances.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm all about that sense of progression, I'm actually dreading the day all my heroes are maxed out

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

huh, I mean evidently its not noticeable enough because I tend to use the beam like a laser sight and the moment it touches their face I blow it up and that works invariably amazing in all circumstances.

Quick double checking on a training dummy (when steam lets me :argh:), it ramps up from 75 to 900 over a second and a half then stays there. Resets if you move the beam off then back onto it.

Hmm, maybe I should try moving the beam slowly across distant hordes.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I enjoy playing Pyro beam Wizard, but yeah it does feel way overtuned and I start thinking that I'm pretty good. Playing Saltz, Kruber and the Dwarf brings me back to earth wrt my lack of skill because I can't help but take lots of damage. Saltzpyre's falchion is brutal but I'm always taking a lot of damage, and I'm just not getting the timing right for Kruber's and Bardin's big two handers. I just started playing the Elf last night though and boy I love the spear & glaive for staying out of trouble and clearing hoardes without getting hit back.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Quick double checking on a training dummy (when steam lets me :argh:), it ramps up from 75 to 900 over a second and a half then stays there. Resets if you move the beam off then back onto it.

Hmm, maybe I should try moving the beam slowly across distant hordes.

Oh you mean the beam itself damage... I'm talking the rightclick 'explosion' which does a sniper style 'explosion' where you have your beam.

That does ridick damage always and requires only you can keep them in your beam for a microinstant. Sometimes you don't even see the beam

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Just sitting in a keep where two players kept trying to kick a lvl 16 for knight because “they wanted easy games and needed level 25 +”.

They only explained this after first calling me retarded because I voted no.

People suck. I left them to it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm all about that sense of progression, I'm actually dreading the day all my heroes are maxed out
Where else will I get easy commendation boxes? The loot tap has already started to slow down a little and I'm only level 14.

Also I have only realised the beam staff can blow stuff up at range because the thread told me. I'm apparently a terrible Sienna! I look forward to making my numbers even larger when I next get to play.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, the beam staff is pretty silly, but I love it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just sitting in a keep where two players kept trying to kick a lvl 16 for knight because “they wanted easy games and needed level 25 +”.

I was gonna ask if this was for Vet or Champ but honestly it doesn't loving matter.

I played with some guy in Champ the other night who I think was a level 14 Krub and he owned.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Levels seem to mean very little when item level carries over to every hero.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Redundant posted:

It can matter with regard to key talents (ammo regen at 15, temp health at 20), and people may not have good weapons for their alts which will cut into their hero power a little bit, but on Veteran a level 14 Kruber can probably already faceroll.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 21, 2018

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

So, you learn something new about this game every day.

I had no idea that Rush Intervention was ACTUALLY a thing, and count me as one of the people that thought it was all in my head. When a team leaves you behind, or you run ahead, the game actually does intentionally spawn poo poo that is meant to gently caress you over, specials, hordes.

code:
rush_intervention = {
			loneliness_value_for_ambush_horde = 25,
			delay_between_interventions = 30,
			chance_of_ambush_horde = 0.25,
			loneliness_value_for_special = 15,
			distance_until_next_intervention = 30,
			breeds = {
				"skaven_pack_master",
				"skaven_gutter_runner"
			}
		}
	},
This is something that apparently existed in VT1, but really more people need to know about this. I had no idea.

STICK TOGETHER

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

(re: Shade vs Chaos Warrior groups)
You can do this with Handmaiden/Waystalker too though.

Yes, I'm afraid I don't know what he means. The Stealth breaks as soon as you attack so you don't have time to Glaive one-two, right? Especially given what Trueflight Volley can do to a Chaos Warrior I don't see the Shade having a niche against them compared to the other elves. Thus I think her active should change from a nuke-strike to a short-duration aggro immunity + damage buff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

I had no idea that Rush Intervention was ACTUALLY a thing, and count me as one of the people that thought it was all in my head. When a team leaves you behind, or you run ahead, the game actually does intentionally spawn poo poo that is meant to gently caress you over, specials, hordes.

code:
rush_intervention = {
			breeds = {
				"skaven_pack_master",
				"skaven_gutter_runner"
			}
		}
	},
This is something that apparently existed in VT1, but really more people need to know about this. I had no idea.

STICK TOGETHER

Go figure.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Host kicked a level 14 knight, I asked why, he said too low power level, I said I was doing champion runs since level 10 on my now 30 dwarf and he kicked me :shrug:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Host kicked a level 14 knight, I asked why, he said too low power level, I said I was doing champion runs since level 10 on my now 30 dwarf and he kicked me :shrug:

No joke, this is why I exclusively play with the Discord. You people are better than I deserve.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
one of my only champion rounds so far i was SIR KRUBER and also the only one with a basic understanding of blocking and pushing and positioning, so the slayer, elf and pyro all died during the finale on righteous stand while i survived the last quarter of it solo until i could pick them up to go pick up the dropped tomes :v:

definitely nowhere near 600 power level

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Redundant posted:

the difference of 100, 200, or 300 hero power for simply existing is huge. i love this game to pieces but i can DEFINITELY understand wanting to get to the destination. the journey is super important in this game the first time - the next 4, not so much.

President Evil
Oct 10, 2012

fadam posted:

This is going to sound dumb, but does anyone know if there's a reliable way to suicide off a cliff edge as Bright Wizard? I can't get the teleport to work.

I wrote a really basic AHK leveling script that queues for the cliff map, runs into the bridge, waits for the ultimate to charge, then uses a dash/jump to suicide (shoutouts to the guy who posted this strat in here earlier), and BW is the only class I can't get to work.

Try overheating and then walking off the cliff during the overheat animation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You absolutely do not need the level 20 temp health or even the level 15 talents to do all book runs on Champion. I've leveled all of my characters after Kruber(my first and "main") from like level 8 on in Champion exclusively doing almost entirely pugs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

You absolutely do not need the level 20 temp health or even the level 15 talents to do all book runs on Champion. I've leveled all of my characters after Kruber(my first and "main") from like level 8 on in Champion exclusively doing almost entirely pugs.

The temp health is a huge leg up if you're doing pugs though because they're not gonna stop you from getting stabbed in the rear end by rats at all

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

UberJew posted:

The temp health is a huge leg up if you're doing pugs though because they're not gonna stop you from getting stabbed in the rear end by rats at all

The key is to understand that you don't have temp health gain so your best bet is to play the rearguard and be the one stopping them from getting butt ratted. Pubs will always be killing things in front of them but only rarely will they look behind them, so you do that job for them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

code:
rush_intervention = {
			breeds = {
				"skaven_pack_master",
				"skaven_gutter_runner"
			}
		}
	},

STICK TOGETHER

the people who were gonna stick together already do, and the people who don't probably will not start just because there is proof they should.

this has been the case since literally l4d1.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the people who were gonna stick together already do, and the people who don't probably will not start just because there is proof they should.

this has been the case since literally l4d1.

I'm just saying its one of those things some people think is superstition or a matter of perception, but it's actually real.

It may be helpful for new players coming to the thread. It would have helped me, having passed on VT1 and playing only a couple hours of Left 4 Dead.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

If you check your inventory screen you will see that they actually show 30 + 1 or 2 etc for how many levels past 30 you've gotten. And you still get commendation boxes. :eng101:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

tangy yet delightful posted:

If you check your inventory screen you will see that they actually show 30 + 1 or 2 etc for how many levels past 30 you've gotten. And you still get commendation boxes. :eng101:

Wow, that's actually pretty commendable. No pun intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Boy I’m itching for a game in this genre with the L4D versus mode. I think playing so much of that way back when has helped me a lot in this, because of my rampant paranoia looking for specials.

Mostly I want to punt some players off of cliffs.