Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Jeesis posted:

Welp, have played 180 hours of this game and just found out that you can click on splitters to make them filter poo poo.

:arghfist::downs:

In the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jeesis posted:

Welp, have played 180 hours of this game and just found out that you can click on splitters to make them filter poo poo.

You're not blind, this was added in one of the more recent 16.xx changes.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

LLSix posted:

You're not blind, this was added in one of the more recent 16.xx changes.

It's awesome too. Made my enrichment setup so much cooler looking than it was when I had two filter inserters doing the same job for me. Takes up less space too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jeesis posted:

That got added like 2 weeks ago so you're safe.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

ionn posted:

Yeah, full throughput of one offshore pump is about 11 heat exchangers (almost 12). But isn't one pipe supposed to be able to flow more than that, given enough pumpage (if I read the numbers right)? I guess that is what limits how long an unbroken chain of heat exchangers can be, how much water you can push in at either side. But then again it's easy enough to leave a 1-tile gap for a water side-feed, until you run out of heatpipe capacity instead.
I guess I just keep underestimating how much a run of underground pipe limits flow, or count its length wrong or something. Meh.

I would like to gather up some of my 4-reactor plants into a 12-or-so setup for shits and giggles, but I'm a bit reluctant to do so unless I can be reasonably sure of getting it working. Might just need to find the proper spot for it somewhere, maybe landfill a perfectly sized square island in a big lake so I can easily surround it with plenty of very short water feeds. Would also give me the added logistical joy of shipping nuclear fuel by train!

Fluid flow is basically black magic, decreasing with distance. I find it is best to just build in some wiggle room into the design, given how hard it is to accurately measure.

For example, I made this plant, which rides the line at 11 heat exchangers per offshore hookup.
https://factorioprints.com/view/-L5VKZO5Id46w92x5SF9
11 exchangers per offshore means the fluid needs to be moving at nearly full offshore pump speed to the exchangers, which demands a lot of fluid pumps given the distance. Without them, the far exchangers go dry. The plant works at full power, but at the same time I kind of dislike fluid pumps in a power plant design unless they are running off of a separate power grid. On your main grid fluid pumps will pump less if you have a brownout, which results in even less power, which results in less pumping, and so forth. Negative feedback loops aren't good.

Safer, I think, is running something more like eight heat exchangers per offshore pump. That gives you a little more room for fluid slowndown due to distance. I made this plant with the eight exchangers to one offshore ratio, and it doesn't need fluid pumps to operate at full power. The extra wiggle room is good enough. The
https://factorioprints.com/view/-L63IKLwHrj1bn0Lgr8r

The tanks in that design are right next to the heat exchangers too, to try and take advantage of the negative pressure pulling the steam out. Trying to make a single giant steam buffer without fluid pumps will often result in the steam pooling in unfortunate ways.

I also don't like plants that require you to landfill out the middle of a lake. It is a pain in the butt, since robots can't do it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 5, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Artillery is awesome, but I'm still sad they haven't come up with a better visual for the nuke.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I finished a bob's playthrough a little while back. Generally enjoyed it a whole lot more than I expected. A big thing that I never really heard anyone comment on was that it doesn't simply add complexity, it replaces volume with complexity (I didn't feel the need to upgrade beyond a single 48x stone furnace iron line until after I needed blue belts and yellow science both running at the same time).

I started a bob's/angel's run and whoo boy I don't think I'm going to give a rats rear end about this one. I like the idea of adding in more steps to the smelting process and could probably deal with the trash products that have to be destroyed/recycled, but with petrochem looming in the distance I don't think I'm going to continue. The pipe mechanics in this game are just nowhere near as solid as the belt/train/bot mechanics. I see it like chili powder, a little bit as seasoning is fine, but petrochem looks like its dumping in a whole drat can.

Any other large scale mods out there someone would recommend? Yuoki looks like its mostly add-on rather than full conversion. I don't think 5dimm has been updated in a long while.

EDIT: well I guess 5dim's was updated, I had thought that one was abandoned.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 15, 2018

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Reverend Dr posted:

I started a bob's/angel's run and whoo boy I don't think I'm going to give a rats rear end about this one. I like the idea of adding in more steps to the smelting process and could probably deal with the trash products that have to be destroyed/recycled, but with petrochem looming in the distance I don't think I'm going to continue. The pipe mechanics in this game are just nowhere near as solid as the belt/train/bot mechanics. I see it like chili powder, a little bit as seasoning is fine, but petrochem looks like its dumping in a whole drat can.

I've been chugging away at a bobs+angels and while its complicated and confusing its pretty fun. The filter spliters make dealing with byproducts reasonable rather than the horror it was before 16.x. Petrochem is kinda crazy and could still use some polish. Most of the chemicals either have a lot of possible production chains and used for a lot of recipes or have one hyper specific chain that only has a single or couple of results. But if you give yourself tons of space and throw up a couple of storage tanks for any byproducts you don't have a use for (yet) its interesting. A big part of the metallurgy, and so far a lesser part of petrochem, is adding complexity to your supply chain adds either much greater efficiency or a greater variety of ores/plates. Balancing producing enough iron/copper/tin while also making the higher tier ores is a neat change from the vanilla just throw more smelters at it playstyle.

I really wouldn't want to try angels+bobs without what is it used for and helmod for planning. I've also been using factorisimo to keep the footprint of my base from needing a dedicated train line to get from one side to the other.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I got over the hurdle of AngelBob PetroChem by starting up a infinite resource/space sandbox and just working my way through all the production chains using a "production scales south, bus scales north" complex design to keep it super-simple. Took about four hours to feel that I had my brain completely wrapped around it.

You have two primary inputs to your petrochem complex:
  • multi-phase oil
  • natural gas
Those split into four secondary inputs which is where the real work gets done:
  • raw gas
  • crude oil
  • condensates
  • sulfuric waste water
Sulfuric waste water can be processed down to sulfur ore, which you should have a shitload of if you're doing Angel's Refining so probably just consider it a waste product. Raw gas refines to acid gas (another waste product into you can refine it down to hydrofluoric acid and Yet More Sulfur), and natural gas liquid. Natural gas liquid and crude oil take you to the six tertiary inputs:
  • Methane gas (put through a steam cracker for methanol gas)
  • Ethane gas (ditto for ethylene gas)
  • Butane gas (you guessed it, benzene gas)
  • Mineral oil
  • Fuel oil
  • Naphtha
This is the point where you can actually make something useful outside of your petrochem complex. From here you get a lot of potential outputs with varying intermediate steps - lubricant, plastic, polishing compound, coolant, liquid fuel, solid fuel, synthetic wood, probably more. You'll have to start pulling in secondary inputs like chemical catalysts for some of the longer production chains.

If this doesn't sound appealing to you, you probably want to stay away from Bob's PetroChem.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to set up a multiplayer game with a few other Factorio veterans.

Is Bob+Angel good with a bunch of people going nuts, anything else that's kinda wild out there?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is Bob+Angel good with a bunch of people going nuts, anything else that's kinda wild out there?

Usually one person decides to build everything and you come in to find nothing interesting to do or nothing you recognise any more. Or you get a crazy who must deconstruct anything he/she deems imperfect and do it themselves which tends to end up with everyone else leaving.

The new Dyworld looks interesting for MP, as does Hardcorio:SC2 where the second slants more toward survival. Xanders would be fun but it's still very early yet. Pyanodons stuff might be worth a go especially with the high tech addition close to being ready. 5dim is like a rather crappy bobs, I can't put my finger on why but it's just not as fun. Seablock as MP? Could be interesting but sloooooow.

Basically Bobs + Angels MP has been done to death.

Reverend Dr posted:

Any other large scale mods out there someone would recommend? Yuoki looks like its mostly add-on rather than full conversion. I don't think 5dimm has been updated in a long while.

EDIT: well I guess 5dim's was updated, I had thought that one was abandoned.

See above.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ratzap posted:

Usually one person decides to build everything and you come in to find nothing interesting to do or nothing you recognise any more. Or you get a crazy who must deconstruct anything he/she deems imperfect and do it themselves which tends to end up with everyone else leaving.

We're planning to have certain times, and the server is off otherwise, so that might be avoided.

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

I want to start a new map so I can turn biters completely off this time. Only problem is I literally cannot even fathom playing without a full logistics network and a factory that has at least one assembler for every item so I can just build what I want, when I want it.

What's the fastest way to get to the end game? Any mods that do it? Can I use someone else's save file? Console commands?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sandbox mode?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Naan Bread posted:

I want to start a new map so I can turn biters completely off this time. Only problem is I literally cannot even fathom playing without a full logistics network and a factory that has at least one assembler for every item so I can just build what I want, when I want it.

What's the fastest way to get to the end game? Any mods that do it? Can I use someone else's save file? Console commands?

If you otherwise like your current save, you could use the console to get rid of the biters. Poking around hasn't yet turned up a command to disable them entirely, but you can remove them from all extant chunks and prevent them from expanding with

code:
/c local surface=game.player.surface
for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({force="enemy"})) do
	entity.destroy()
end
and

code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.enabled=false

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Naan Bread posted:

I suppose the most obvious question is, if you've got this giant factory and you don't wanna give it up, why not build a perimeter to keep the biters out? A turret wall, backed up by auto-artillery fire, and supplied by logistic network and nuclear reactors, should have no issues keeping out biters. It'd give you a good (possibly huge) project, and once you've blocked them out from inside your pollution cloud, then the attack squads and armies become more like settlement wagons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't usually like Bobs+Angel but it is nice with MP. All the complexity makes it easy for a couple of people to be working towards the same end goal at the same time.

For example, electric circuits need circuit boards, basic electronic components, electronic components, and solder. So that's 5 players right there, 1 for each input and 1 to build the final assembly area. Plus room for another few players to set up basic smelting for tin, zinc, etc for inputs to the inputs.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Factorissimo2 helps compress some of bob's craziness so there's less walking

There's a couple of interesting scenario/quest mods that you can slap on too if you don't think Bob+Angel is complicated enough.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/OffWorldShippingCo adds shipping requests that you have to send on rockets to focus end game efforts, but I don't know how well it works with bobs.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SpaceMod adds set endgame goals as well and has your choice of two compatability patches for bobs

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Naan Bread posted:

That depends on how you want to do it; if you want to start on a completely blank map but don't want to go through the burner phase or the early game then console yourself a bunch of fancy toys.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Console

In particular this gives you poo poo in your inventory.

/c game.player.insert{name="iron-plate", count=100}

So you could console yourself all the things you need to build the factory to build your factory and/or a whole logistics network to start with and go from there.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I’m triggered

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Is there a YouTube tutorial for this?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I hope they all get fed in to a recycler mod that melts them back down to iron.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

BrainMeats posted:

I hope they all get fed in to a recycler mod that melts them back down to iron.

In a surprise twist, it turns out the guns are a higher compression ratio. Suddenly all megabases stop belting iron and start belting pistols.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

BabelFish posted:

In a surprise twist, it turns out the guns are a higher compression ratio. Suddenly all megabases stop belting iron and start belting pistols.

Iron ingats?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I am browsing back through the thread, but I wanted to go ahead and ask for simplicity’s sake:

I just crushed AngelBobs, and I know there have been other big conversion mods mentioned, which ones do people feel offer that same fresh feeling that AngelBobs does? I saw someone mention Yupki but the mod description and thread don’t seem to give me much info.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
Pyanodon would prolly give you that same discovery itch similar to BobsAngels. Youki is a mid game addition, fun but off to the side. Phyanodon completely rewrites the early game by making their new materials required for science packs.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

started up a new seablock game last night, was building solar panels, doing the whole sulfur thing to feed my crystalizer

big update to factorio when i booted up today, started a new game and seablocks is totally differnt

wind power? research without labs? what happened?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I heard Bob and/or Angel was splitting from the other. Guess that kicked off then.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I also was playing last night and noticed that 0.16 is now the stable version.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Gay Hitler posted:

started up a new seablock game last night, was building solar panels, doing the whole sulfur thing to feed my crystalizer

big update to factorio when i booted up today, started a new game and seablocks is totally differnt

wind power? research without labs? what happened?

The start of seablock got rekajiggered. The first few researches don't need labs and serve as a kind of bare bones tutorial. IIRC both Bobs and Angels made some fairly substantial changes while 16 was in beta so seablock took to the chance to mix things up a bit.The basic idea is pretty much the same but I think a lot of the actual production chains changed. Wind power is pretty lovely and costs a lot of iron for the power generated. Especially when every plate takes as much work as in seablock. Even worse is the blinking power icon on the wind turbines but I found this post to fix it.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
If you have been holding off on buying Factorio then now is the time to pull the trigger, the price is going to go up in a couple of weeks and the devs claim that it will never be on sale.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Have they ever talked about the no sale policy? $30 isn't really expensive, but I know a lot of people who would prefer to wait for a sale.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Solumin posted:

Have they ever talked about the no sale policy? $30 isn't really expensive, but I know a lot of people who would prefer to wait for a sale.

They have consistently said over the years that they don't believe in sales.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If I recall correctly they want people to be able to buy it when they want to buy it, without feeling like they're throwing money away by not waiting for a sale.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

Steam sales have kind of spoiled people, I think. I know I sometimes fall into that trap as well. "gently caress it, I have plenty of games I'll just wait for that to go on sale."

I really don't regret buying Factorio at full price given how much I've played it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Steam sales have kind of spoiled people, I think. I know I sometimes fall into that trap as well. "gently caress it, I have plenty of games I'll just wait for that to go on sale."

I really don't regret buying Factorio at full price given how much I've played it.

I consider any game where I played it for more hours than £ I spent on it to be well worth the price.

I've got >300 hours in Factorio :shepface:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So now that the game has updated, what happens with the mods that haven't been updated? Do I have to stop playing my 0.15 save until all the mods are updated?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The mods have been updated to .16 for months, just go into the mod menu and click update.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

uPen posted:

The mods have been updated to .16 for months, just go into the mod menu and click update.

Most of them have, yes, but a few haven't been and still show up as red even after I clicked "check for updates" and "update" in the mods menu. Most of them I don't particularly care about, but Warehousing and Reactor Interface are both not updated, and my factory makes plenty of use of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

If I recall correctly they want people to be able to buy it when they want to buy it, without feeling like they're throwing money away by not waiting for a sale.

That makes a certain amount of sense.

Firos posted:

I consider any game where I played it for more hours than £ I spent on it to be well worth the price.

I've got >300 hours in Factorio :shepface:

I have the same system! $2/hour is just about worth it for me, and Factorio has been more than worth it.