Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PMush Perfect posted:

It makes it interesting, but pretty much unusable.
"Big defense boost until you move" doesn't sound unusable to me. But it definitely needs bigger numbers in that case.
It's kinda funny how it got elevated to this point though. The ponderousness was just added because "we still haven't implemented permabuffs for some reason, and it is optimal but tedious to recast this buff all the time while exploring." The downside was just added so keeping it up 24/7 would be "non-optimal" and Hypothetical Optimal Man wouldn't annoy himself to death with it. But somehow that's now jumped to not being allowed to move at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Big defense boost until you move" doesn't sound unusable to me. But it definitely needs bigger numbers in that case.
It's kinda funny how it got elevated to this point though. The ponderousness was just added because "we still haven't implemented permabuffs for some reason, and it is optimal but tedious to recast this buff all the time while exploring." The downside was just added so keeping it up 24/7 would be "non-optimal" and Hypothetical Optimal Man wouldn't annoy himself to death with it. But somehow that's now jumped to not being allowed to move at all.
What other AC buffs do casters even get? Because both of the main ones suck now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well they can always pick up a scale male or swamp dragon armor or something and train their armor skill up.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Patashu posted:

Meanwhile: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/f559e6e12c67e5dcd6b6acacd18fa4f2b944bb23 "Make Ozocubu's Armour expire immediately on movement"

I'm playing a DrIE on trunk at the moment :sweatdrop:

But like someone said, lightning spire should be next on the list of nerfs, it's just ridiculously good right now.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

But like someone said, lightning spire should be next on the list of nerfs, it's just ridiculously good right now.

What would be a good nerf, anyway? Unless you stop being able to control where it's placed, the main benefit of using it is going to stay there. Unless you're of the 'increase its spell level so the opportunity cost is greater' approach.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 23, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is is safe to leave stuff on the floor in Slime 5 now, in .21?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no but seriously we need to jack the qol changes they made to the spellbook system in trunk, if its anything like what ive heard

thought exercise: what would make a good earth/ice spell?

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Patashu posted:

What would be a good nerf, anyway? Unless you stop being able to control where it's placed, the main benefit of using it is going to stay there. Unless you're of the 'increase its spell level so the opportunity cost is greater' approach.

Spellpower could be capped at a lower point, reducing max HD of the spire. Monster spires are HD 3, with the spell you can now get up to HD 10.

Positioning could be limited to be adjacent to the player and duration could be made dependent on spellpower.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think this Ozo's is still pretty good. You can cast it when you're in a good position to fight, and then run away with no speed penalty if you need to. I don't think it really solves the core issues with the spell though.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
We could still make it a permabuff that only gives a bonus if player doesn't (voluntarily) move for a couple turns and removes the bonus if they do, I'd not mind if it was nerfed in the sense that it doesn't nothing if you're running and getting your rear end whacked along the way.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if it's a 3x3 pseudocloud effect centered on you

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I sailed through 10 runes with almost no trouble, died literally in the first room I set foot in in Pan

https://pastebin.com/brypyEJB

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IronicDongz posted:

It does, because the god only starts giving you advantages once you are past the hardest parts of the game and the advantages it gives you are weaker than things many other gods give you.

I've won with Ashenzari using species from hill orc to mummy, and I will confidently say that all the following gods are stronger than Ash:
-Okawaru
-Trog
-Fedhas
-Yred
-Makhleb
-Hep
-Gozag
-Nemelex
-Ru
-Qazlal
-Elyvilon
-Lugonu
-Beogh
-Kiku
-Vehumet
-Qazlal
-TSO(barely)
-Wu Jian

I would put Ash roughly equal with Uskayaw, Jiyva, Zin and Dithmenos. The only gods I would consider Ash better than are Sif, Xom, and Chei.

Late but how dare you suggest Chei is anything but the best god

edit: I just realized replying to this days late is chei as gently caress

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

icantfindaname posted:

I sailed through 10 runes with almost no trouble, died literally in the first room I set foot in in Pan

https://pastebin.com/brypyEJB

Your first warning should have been seeing that many smoke demons in positions that can see you but you can't do anything about it. Your second warning should have been getting smote multiple times in a single move.

That rune vault I tend to skip because it's overly dangerous.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I didn’t realize they can smite you from behind glass walls

In fact, the wiki says they can’t smite you from behind glass walls. There were two hell sentinels spawne in the room and they did most of the damage I think, plus something casting torment. I should have just teleported but didnt

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think this Ozo's is still pretty good. You can cast it when you're in a good position to fight, and then run away with no speed penalty if you need to. I don't think it really solves the core issues with the spell though.

What do you think are the core issues with the spell? I think a strong defensive tool for light armor hybrids is really important, and I think a more situational ozo’s solves that pretty well. I agree a buff that just gives you a fuckton of armor for no downside isn’t good design, since you then you don’t really play differently from a character that wears armor.

Teal posted:

We could still make it a permabuff that only gives a bonus if player doesn't (voluntarily) move for a couple turns and removes the bonus if they do, I'd not mind if it was nerfed in the sense that it doesn't nothing if you're running and getting your rear end whacked along the way.

I think it’s better to avoid just making everything a permabuff. In this case what does making the spell a permabuff do? It’s not something you’re constantly refreshing anyway, and making the player cast it or refresh it adds depth to the spell.

Tollymain posted:

what if it's a 3x3 pseudocloud effect centered on you

I like that idea a lot. That way you get some ability to reposition so it works better with spectral weapon or summons. In fact, it could also perhaps work on your allies, which gives it a nice buff in return for making its use more restrictive.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the tradeoff between spell success and AC on armour is interesting. Heavy armour gives you better AC (particularly once enchanted) but you'll have to invest more XP to make your spells castable or use ring slots to counteract it. There's a lot of different armour types in the game, and you could select one based on how much spell success you're prepared to sacrifice for better defense.

Ozo's almost completely removes that potentially interesting decision from the game. By having a hard breakpoint at 4 ER the four lightest armours (Robes, Leather Armour, Steam Dragon Scales, Troll Leather Armour) effectively give you more AC than all but the heaviest armours. So it's easier to cast spells in them and they give you better defenses.

This is exacerbated by the fact that Ozo's is extremely powerful and at a low enough level that any character who's casting spells can easily learn it. Stuff like Acid Dragon Scales may as well not exist because its ER is one point too high.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

now we can totally 'solve' the situation by having it so it's entirely useless if you want to ever move, a thing that players will be doing all the time

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand the ideology that you should make sure that whatever you implement isn't per chance too strong in a game where half the time you're literally deciding between going with the easy and the fun; lets remove Trog he's making other gods useless?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I suspect this change actually makes the spell better. Previously if you cast Ozo's then realized you had to bail it made it harder for you to escape. Now there's no penalty for doing that, you just don't have the buff while fleeing. If you position yourself well before casting Ozo's you shouldn't really have to move while you're still actively trying to kill things.

To be clear I think it's a bad change (we don't need more incentives to lure everything back to a safe spot and it doesn't solve the problem I outlined above) but the spell is still extremely strong.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Teal posted:

I don't understand the ideology that you should make sure that whatever you implement isn't per chance too strong in a game where half the time you're literally deciding between going with the easy and the fun; lets remove Trog he's making other gods useless?

I want reasonable balance in my silly dungeon crawling game :colbert:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I didn’t realize they can smite you from behind glass walls

In fact, the wiki says they can’t smite you from behind glass walls. There were two hell sentinels spawne in the room and they did most of the damage I think, plus something casting torment. I should have just teleported but didnt

Oh they changed that vault to glass walls? I seem to recall it being iron grates previously because it was explicitly about you being exposed to the smoke demons sitting inside the "walls" of the vault and being unable, short of LRD and Dig, to get at them until you marched all the way through to the other side.

EDIT: The vault appears to have iron grates sprinkled along..
code:
KFEAT: m = iron_grate
MAP
.......@.......
cccccc+++cccccc
cOc4cl...lc4c|c
c1c4cl.5.lc4c|c
c0c4cl...lc4c0c
c5c4cl...lc4c5c
c3c4cl...lc4c3c
c5c4ml...lm4c5c
c3c4cl...lc4c3c
c5c4cl.5.lc4c5c
c3c4ml...lm4c3c
c3c4cl...lc4c3c
c5c4cl...lc4c5c
c.m4ml...lm4m.c
c.c4cl.5.lc4c.c
c.cccl5.5lccc.c
c.+..5.5.5..+.c
ccccccccccccccc
ENDMAP
l is lava, c is wall, numbers are various enemies (all demons) with 4s weighed heavily towards smoke demons

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 23, 2018

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Patashu posted:

You could make the spire instantly die to melee attacks. So it can do its job as a damage-dealing turret effectively, and can even sometimes be used to block line of fire on nasty spells, but isn't a long-term pathing blocker when monsters are trying to get through it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
oh cool we just made felids and octopodes harder for no reason so that heavy armor becomes even more dominant for normal characters. :effort:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zore posted:

oh cool we just made felids and octopodes harder for no reason so that heavy armor becomes even more dominant for normal characters. :effort:

everything shall be fed into the maw of Hypothetical Optimal Man

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of making Ozo's higher level and then putting in a few similar spells. The idea being decent AC is practically necessary so we should put multiple paths to it, but they should all require moderate investment

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Patashu posted:

If it got much worse defenses/HP, that would count for a lot. The damage it does is also a bit nuts for a level 4 summon with piercing shots.

Placing it wherever you like wouldn't be quite as strong if it would quickly die basically every time when placed in front of big scary monsters like fire giants(currently, it does not). You could still immediately replace it until you ran out of mana,
which currently would probably be enough to kill the fire giant(and probably whatever else was behind it... killed packs of very ugly things and other depths monsters in corridors this way last run). But if it died every turn it was resummoned in front of a big lategame monster, maybe this wouldn't be viable at all.

cheetah7071 posted:

The idea being decent AC is practically necessary so we should put multiple paths to it, but they should all require moderate investment
decent AC is definitely not practically necessary. I should go win with a no spells octopode, I got close a couple times but no cigar.

I think the ozo's nerf is ok. There are plenty of times when you're standing still in fights and it introduces a neat bit of decision making in the moment of toughing it out when something scary happens to keep your AC vs. fleeing. I wouldn't mind if the AC boost got a bit bigger though.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait so gnolls can't use Ashen's skill transfer?

...I mean between all the apts it would be probably hella broke...

...but I'm still disappointed

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

by the way when I mentioned earlier that lightning spire is insane I wasn't kidding

Yup, spire is one of the best spells in the game. Most summon abilities don't give you any control over positioning, and you can use it to block all sorts of projectiles (due to it having little to no EV), the damage to MP ratio is really high, electricity is a rare resist, etc etc.

Ozocubus creating an AoE that applies the armor buff to you/your allies as long as you remaing in that AoE sounds a lot more fun and interesting than a stationary thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Or, even more interestingly, it could create an AoE on the ground that applies the armor buff to everything. So you don't just have to worry about losing it if you move, you also have to worry about defending the area to keep enemies out.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or, even more interestingly, it could create an AoE on the ground that applies the armor buff to everything. So you don't just have to worry about losing it if you move, you also have to worry about defending the area to keep enemies out.

*Everything that doesn't have high AC to begin with so it wouldn't be that brutal of a nerf because many generic enemies with actual AC would just be too fat to make use of it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey i wasnt kidding we absolutely should be jacking the new spell library feature from trunk

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is the glyph clutter for clouds and poo poo really confusing on the ASCII version these days?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tollymain posted:

hey i wasnt kidding we absolutely should be jacking the new spell library feature from trunk
have you considered describing the feature, or at least linking it? I'm too lazy to go search for it, and I doubt I'm the only one

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

resistentialism posted:

Is the glyph clutter for clouds and poo poo really confusing on the ASCII version these days?

Not really, it's one glyph of different colours. None of them you want to stand around in unless you've gone Qazlal and then you don't care.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Elephant Parade posted:

have you considered describing the feature, or at least linking it? I'm too lazy to go search for it, and I doubt I'm the only one
When you pick up a book, all the spells in it are immediately added to your "library" of spells, which takes up no inventory space, and from that point on those spells can be memorized anywhere whenever you hit the M key as long as you have spell levels.

It means trog can't burn books anymore but trog can take that hit and it's a really, really good quality of life change to have no inventory/backtracking hassle from books anymore. Awesome on lategame/postgame Sif Muna characters who have gotten lots of book gifts to be able to hit the 'M' key and choose from a list of basically(or literally) every spell in the game to memorize, instead of making a book stash or searching for spells and backtracking to wherever spellbooks randomly dropped with them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

I'll be putting it and other major commits from trunk together with the feature request/pull request survey. One issue I will point out with it is that Trog book burning and book amnesia goes away temporarily if it is implemented (until I or someone else figures out what's needed to modify the library system to put it back in).

Edit: Last chance if you want to vote in the feature design detail survey:
https://goo.gl/forms/deXD0IDF1sof2h3q2
I'll probably close it sometime tomorrow if I don't see any more votes. Collating it may take a bit of time as I will be moving in the near future. If I manage to have time available, I'll try to get the FR/PR/commit survey ready tomorrow to push out so that there won't be any dead time during the period where I won't have Internet access.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 25, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i think book amnesia/burning is a fair sacrifice for better quality of life

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

I'll be putting it and other major commits from trunk together with the feature request/pull request survey. One issue I will point out with it is that Trog book burning and book amnesia goes away temporarily if it is implemented (until I or someone else figures out what's needed to modify the library system to put it back in).

For Trog Book Burning you just need to revert these commits:

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/4c6852c4bb597227a8a309eb79c96e8c8369ab76
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/f64ed86620b3956e8cba2286a28d46b4fd1c8580
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/d1b754485ab9ba3113f1e40faf3840415e5c8db1 (maybe)

Though it won't be very useful without being able to pick the books up, I'm not sure if special casing it back in is worth the effort for an already OP god.

For book amnesia, it would probably be better to replace it with a different system entirely, like a 1 in N chance of making a scroll of amnesia fall out whenever you read a book, since as far as I know book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
book what

• Locked thread