Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kickass. What will you be doing at the new place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My boss obviously thought very little of his team, because he would constantly diagram poo poo out on a whiteboard as he talked. Like simple things such as "speaking to your coworker about an issue" or "how to field a helpdesk call". The best one though was when he drew a circle, with an arrow pointing to a triangle, and told us "this is what I asked for" *points to the circle* "and this is what you gave me" *points to triangle*.

!!!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Congratulations.

I’m considering trying to :yotj: but there’s not much in my area. There’s one I think I would have a chance at, but I don’t really want to work in the oil industry. Also apparently their 401(k) match (10%) takes 5 years to vest, which is a long time in general, let alone the energy industry.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vargatron posted:

"this is what I asked for" *points to the circle* "and this is what you gave me" *points to triangle*.

I am loving stealing this, it's amazing and extremely condescending.

Congratulations!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Proteus Jones posted:

Kickass. What will you be doing at the new place?

Software defined network security, NSX microsegmentation, and defining procedures for a new SOC unit.

I'm loving pumped. They hit my salary request too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congratulations.

I’m considering trying to :yotj: but there’s not much in my area. There’s one I think I would have a chance at, but I don’t really want to work in the oil industry. Also apparently their 401(k) match (10%) takes 5 years to vest, which is a long time in general, let alone the energy industry.

At least in my area, the energy industry is pretty incestuous. It can be hard to get in, but once you are, it's really easy to move around.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it’s just really volatile right now. With oil prices going all over the place and wind/solar prices plummeting to try to get ahead of the government incentives ending.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Congratulations. I saw you posting how interviews went the last few weeks but thought you were pretty happy at you 1 man manager team at a local government (I believe it was)?

What made you want to move?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Somebody ran a script in prod that renamed every single host to the same name. The incident page listed affected systems as "all databases". lol

Happy Friday!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sirotan posted:

Somebody ran a script in prod that renamed every single host to the same name. The incident page listed affected systems as "all databases". lol

Happy Friday!

:bisonyes:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Has anyone heard of a site called "On the Hub"? We just got a student request for access to it. It seems to be some kind of site with academic discounts. Supposedly our staff have access, but I've never heard of it or heard it mentioned. Looked at it and it's hitting my scam alarms personally, but I can't find anything negative online about it or the company behind it besides the glassdoor reviews complaining about salaries.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sirotan posted:

Happy Friday!

Post the script

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Sirotan posted:

Happy Friday!

I hope it was something absurd like "TEST_DB_FOR_MY_BUTT_TO_STORE_POOP" or something else obviously not for production.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Has anyone heard of a site called "On the Hub"? We just got a student request for access to it. It seems to be some kind of site with academic discounts. Supposedly our staff have access, but I've never heard of it or heard it mentioned. Looked at it and it's hitting my scam alarms personally, but I can't find anything negative online about it or the company behind it besides the glassdoor reviews complaining about salaries.

On the hub is legit. I got basically everything MS and VMware ever published for free through my school with it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Methanar posted:

On the hub is legit. I got basically everything MS and VMware ever published for free through my school with it.

Well poo poo, I'm going to be getting myself some software then.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

IBM specifically targeted “grey hairs” for layoffs and terminations.

I know that Corporations are evil, bad, etc. but goddamn this is just extremely unethical.

Even from a business side, I could see how it makes sense to try and get younger people in the company but if someone’s doing a good job she shouldn’t matter.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 23, 2018

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sorry for the double post, but yeah, I've used that as a student. I think they had free copies of most MS software for IT students before we just got switched to their own thing - dreamspark or whatever. It's lovely to navigate but not a scam afaict. If it is, my school got scammed but I wouldn't be shocked by that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

I know that Corporations are evil, bad, etc. but goddamn this is just extremely unethical.

Even from a business side, I could see how it makes sense to try and get younger people in the company but if someone’s doing a good job she shouldn’t matter.

This impending lawsuit gives me a stiffy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like how the prevailing IT business practice is basically mass hiring a bunch of cheap college grads and them burning them out with 60+ hour work weeks.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sirotan posted:

Happy Friday!
How in the gently caress? I mean, you're basically just rebuilding prod at this point.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

LochNessMonster posted:

Congratulations. I saw you posting how interviews went the last few weeks but thought you were pretty happy at you 1 man manager team at a local government (I believe it was)?

What made you want to move?

I had a good stint at budgets and project management, but the paperwork was starting to get to me. Working by myself all the time also sucked after a while.

But the primary reason is the new job comes with an extra 35k a year :hellyeah:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

96 Port Hub posted:

I hope it was something absurd like "TEST_DB_FOR_MY_BUTT_TO_STORE_POOP" or something else obviously not for production.
Doesn't every workplace already have an additional support structure to store poop outside your butt?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god I love my new job you guys

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How in the gently caress? I mean, you're basically just rebuilding prod at this point.

I have no idea, luckily it was not something my team had to deal with. They had everything back up in <30min, but goddamn. Then there was some arguing about why Nagios didn't alert certain application owners that poo poo was broken. Turns out email don't work so good when your mail servers get renamed. :haw:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CLAM DOWN posted:

What are you doing now in your canadian utopia?

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
he's running the last BES servers in the country

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Extremely Penetrated posted:

So, in the world then?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Vargatron posted:

I like how the prevailing IT business practice is basically mass hiring a bunch of cheap college grads and them burning them out with 60+ hour work weeks.
:capitalism:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MF_James posted:

Basically devsecops, it's really cool, all Azure based

Extremely Penetrated posted:

Those days are over thank god

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those days are over thank god

Hire me. I learn fast and work cheap.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is this just General Azure subscription governance or are you working with a specific service?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I had a good stint at budgets and project management, but the paperwork was starting to get to me. Working by myself all the time also sucked after a while.

Can imagine that it gets lonely after a while. Paperwork also deserves it’s own layer of hell.

And 35k extra a year is nothing to scoff at, well done man!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

gently caress yeah.
Congrats! :yotj:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would like to hear more.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Fool posted:

I would like to hear more.

Yeah that sounds loving cool, not really into sec myself (hurf durf red letters) but I enjoy hearing about cool new poo poo that's happening.

v-- lol ouch

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 23, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MF_James posted:

He's in charge of Facebook data security

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CLAM DOWN posted:

How well does being a mod pay though? I understand the restroom facilities are top notch but when you have that much poo poo going through a place 3 ply is basically required.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

gently caress if he’s in charge of the forums data security we’re all screwed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

gently caress if he’s in charge of the forums data security we’re all screwed.

Security through Radium being so completely incompetent that nobody can write anything that works with his code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A bit of a step down for some of you folks - I'm a desktop guy - but I just got a ticket for flickering and discoloration on a laptop display. With a screenshot. He even helpfully circled a bit of the screenshot that looks exactly the same as every other part. As you might expect, he's on the Sales team.

Tab8715 posted:

As a tech worker who is now 48, this scares the ever living poo poo out of me. It basically says that no matter what I learn or how current I keep my skills, simply being old is reason to not hire.