Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

elves have two assholes confirmed it’s warhammer canon now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I AM THE ELF. I AM THE BEST MEMBER OF THE TEAM. I AM BETTER THEN THE DWARF AND KRUBER COMBINED.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I just got this the other day after reading this thread and I didn't think it was true but holy gently caress it is always the elf who somehow skips the pre-mission cutscene and just runs way the hell out ahead of everyone else, never letting up on that W key ever except to angrily yell at their team for not keeping up while they're waiting to get revived. Why are they like that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I just got this the other day after reading this thread and I didn't think it was true but holy gently caress it is always the elf who somehow skips the pre-mission cutscene and just runs way the hell out ahead of everyone else, never letting up on that W key ever except to angrily yell at their team for not keeping up while they're waiting to get revived. Why are they like that?

it's even better when they're on voice

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

She actually is really good and fun to use. I don't blame people who main her.

I kind of want to play her some more, before the inevitable nerf.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's amazing how lovely a community can be for a casual rat smashing game. It's cool though it didn't take long to be reminded of how poo poo quick play in the first Vermintide was. I did enjoy the assholes suggesting I don't select quick play when I kept getting put into their game (in which they kicked me repeatedly from).Now I could play with goons but they have a habit of demanding voice chat when I just want to listen to my podcasts and kill rats (well at least they use to).

RPG mechanics/loot boxes developers stop trying to trick me into playing your game and just make a fun game. Hi I'm Duck and Cover and I like to complain.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 25, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The problem with podcasts and stuff while fighting is that Ratfight really requires your ears. I hear most dangerous stuff before I see it, in both games.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The problem with podcasts and stuff while fighting is that Ratfight really requires your ears. I hear most dangerous stuff before I see it, in both games.

Sure and in the original I didn't listen to podcasts. I did however still not need voice because the game has plenty of audio cues. Like I know the hoard is coming and if you're all moving to a wall/building I am capable of realizing that fact. Chat is good and useful but it's simply not necessary.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 25, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So this Sienna in our group was fighting a bile troll. She suddenly was "dead" on all our UIs, but still up and fighting, but her body appeared nearby to be rescued. I went and picked her up, and it was a clone who did the same moves, but elsewhere. We got her to move together and fuse, and she started doing double damage, but when she hit 50% charge, she blew up (I assume because the clone was also at 50% and it combined them both).

Then she vanished entirely, and we couldn't wipe when we all went down. 10/10

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So this Sienna in our group was fighting a bile troll. She suddenly was "dead" on all our UIs, but still up and fighting, but her body appeared nearby to be rescued. I went and picked her up, and it was a clone who did the same moves, but elsewhere. We got her to move together and fuse, and she started doing double damage, but when she hit 50% charge, she blew up (I assume because the clone was also at 50% and it combined them both).

neat

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm on the fence about picking this up. I loved the original Left 4 Dead but got confused by all the poo poo they put in the sequel. I just started to get back into PC multiplayer gaming with Fortnite. I'm looking for stupid fun but don't want to fall into a pit of ultra dweebs who will poo poo on me because I never played the first one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Housh posted:

I'm on the fence about picking this up. I loved the original Left 4 Dead but got confused by all the poo poo they put in the sequel. I just started to get back into PC multiplayer gaming with Fortnite. I'm looking for stupid fun but don't want to fall into a pit of ultra dweebs who will poo poo on me because I never played the first one.

don't pick this up then

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd barely even heard of Vermintide before picking this game up, it's not an issue at all, start slaughtering rats

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I did enjoy when I was wondering what difficulty starts to have friendly fire. I'll just shoot people and try to compare their health, ohhh audio cue. SHUT UP (I think it was an elf) I KNOW I HIT YOU DEAL WITH IT. (I then shot at, missing her) Ahhhhhhhh pew pew drake fire pistols.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

don't pick this up then
ok bought it. it's on sale at fanatical

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Chat is great in a group punching slightly above it's weight. In pubs it basically boils down to either someone screaming, "PACK PACK" or "BEHIND US" (which is great because, newsflash guys, you all sound identical to me and I don't know which voice belongs to which toon), or me sighing heavily.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
At this point if you're still on the fence I'd recommend waiting until April to pick it up since the balance is all over and the game is fairly unpolished right now. A big patch can be expected if they don't delay Dedicated Servers and Steam Workshop (they probably will because :fatshark:)

But if you've got friends also playing and think everything is extremely your poo poo as is just buy it, it's super cheap even at full price.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
In my experience, as a new player playing mostly quick play, most people don't use mics in recruit/veteran (probably need it for high difficulties tho). Majority of the people just laugh in chat when we die or whatever. Nobody gives a poo poo, it's cool.

Also surprisingly, a lot of people actually check the rear/surroundings and will wait for people to catch up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lunethex posted:

At this point if you're still on the fence I'd recommend waiting until April to pick it up since the balance is all over and the game is fairly unpolished right now. A big patch can be expected if they don't delay Dedicated Servers and Steam Workshop (they probably will because :fatshark:)

I don't think it's all that unpolished but they will definitely nerf Sienna and Kerillian.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

poe meater posted:

In my experience, as a new player playing mostly quick play, most people don't use mics in recruit/veteran (probably need it for high difficulties tho). Majority of the people just laugh in chat when we die or whatever. Nobody gives a poo poo, it's cool.

Also surprisingly, a lot of people actually check the rear/surroundings and will wait for people to catch up.

The problem with Recruit/Vet right now is that high leveled people want to run it for scrap. I've had multiple high level parties insist we skip books and 'speedrun' so they can farm for scrap. Which like, whatever, it's the easiest way to earn scrap right now but it's kind of annoying to the low levels.

It is however hilarious watching a level 30 Bardin drakefire hallway hero get packed and die because he wouldn't stop pushing his forehead against the 'W' key for a picosecond.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Housh posted:

ok bought it. it's on sale at fanatical

f;cuk

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mendrian posted:

The problem with Recruit/Vet right now is that high leveled people want to run it for scrap. I've had multiple high level parties insist we skip books and 'speedrun' so they can farm for scrap. Which like, whatever, it's the easiest way to earn scrap right now but it's kind of annoying to the low levels.

It is however hilarious watching a level 30 Bardin drakefire hallway hero get packed and die because he wouldn't stop pushing his forehead against the 'W' key for a picosecond.

It's rad when games stop being about having fun.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/character-doubles-both-under-control/20382

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Hero Power progression system is kinda cute but also fucks with the gameplay experience a lot.

If you're trying to progress your item power, there is one difficulty it is correct for you to play at, even if your characters are wildly different levels. I guess you have some motivation to jump up difficulties earlier than necessary for better XP rewards if you can swing it, but there's still a lot of incentive to play at inappropriate levels of challenge (either being forced to bring characters who won't contribute because recruit chests won't help, or encouraged to bring characters who will faceroll effortlessly because you don't need champ stuff yet and the rewards are more reliable).

Hell, even if you ignore all that, a dude pubbing at an appropriate difficulty level on quickplay can't do anything about an overleveled character coming in and steamrolling the map.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Voyager I posted:

The Hero Power progression system is kinda cute but also fucks with the gameplay experience a lot.

If you're trying to progress your item power, there is one difficulty it is correct for you to play at, even if your characters are wildly different levels. I guess you have some motivation to jump up difficulties earlier than necessary for better XP rewards if you can swing it, but there's still a lot of incentive to play at inappropriate levels of challenge (either being forced to bring characters who won't contribute because recruit chests won't help, or encouraged to bring characters who will faceroll effortlessly because you don't need champ stuff yet and the rewards are more reliable).

Hell, even if you ignore all that, a dude pubbing at an appropriate difficulty level on quickplay can't do anything about an overleveled character coming in and steamrolling the map.

This combos nicely with the problem VT1 had; a lot of people just cap out on the 'medial' difficulty level and never move up to the difficulty they 'should' be at - for a bunch of reasons. Friendly fire and a perception that Champion+ (or Nightmare+ in VT1) is simply 'too hard' are like bricks around the necks of a lot of pubs and they refuse to ever move up difficulties because they might actually lose. So you've got people who refuse to move up to the next difficulty but still want to 'progress' and the only way they can do that is by creating an asston of scrap.

At least in VT1 a pubscrub with mostly oranges with like 200+ hours in the game could still play on Hard and potentially roll a good orange if he got a bunch of books. Now there's just no incentive to do that.

I mean gently caress it, just give level 30 characters a small chance to improve their HP by opening veteran boxes, problem solved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's been out of beta for a bit, so I'm asking again: Worth getting?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PMush Perfect posted:

It's been out of beta for a bit, so I'm asking again: Worth getting?

Yes. You get to kill a shitload of rats and football fans, the characters are all fun to play, and the core combat is as fantastic as ever.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Goddamn, got some baller illusions for Executioner's Sword tonight, but can I give up that hammer and halberd life to use them? Game refuses to give me any cool pokepole or ratbooper skins.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mendrian posted:

I mean gently caress it, just give level 30 characters a small chance to improve their HP by opening veteran boxes, problem solved.

They would need to rejigger a few things, but I think difficulty should affect the range around your hero power that items can be unboxed at, rather than having absolute caps. Like, the higher the difficulty, the more likely you are to get big hero power boosts instead of tiny incremental ones. That way people could stay in Veteran forever and still progress to 300, just not as fast as folks in Champion.

I like the system overall and my lizard brain gets a thrill out of opening every box, but I realized that I can't get any more upgrades from Recruit and soon I won't get them from Veteran, which is going to suck when I start leveling other characters.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Mendrian posted:

An orange gives four times the scrap a white does, every time. That's a pretty stupid method of going for scrap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So there's a glitch that insta-kills you if the game thinks you've fallen down a hole or something because of lag?

I was rolling through the SpineManglr level and just destroying the hell out of ratties with a full health Kruber. Then out of nowhere I straight up died from nothing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

So there's a glitch that insta-kills you if the game thinks you've fallen down a hole or something because of lag?

I was rolling through the SpineManglr level and just destroying the hell out of ratties with a full health Kruber. Then out of nowhere I straight up died from nothing.

I've died for no reason after the game went into window mode during Righteous Stand when the bell was run. When I alt-entered to fix it, as the bell was ringing, I fell over dead.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Night10194 posted:

You get to kill a shitload of rats and football fans

people keep saying this and I feel like we have wildly different conceptualizations of what your average football fan looks like

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Fanatics are Pistons Fans
The Marauders and Maulers are the Players
The Chaos Warriors are the QBs
The Sorcerers are the Coaches
The Chaos War Party is the Marching Band

oh and I guess the Berserkers are Eagles Fans

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 25, 2018

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bussamove posted:

Goddamn, got some baller illusions for Executioner's Sword tonight, but can I give up that hammer and halberd life to use them? Game refuses to give me any cool pokepole or ratbooper skins.

Finally got Doom on a Stick tonight!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I just joined a champ game as WHC and some kid kept saying "switch to bounty hunter, switch to bounty hunter" 30 times like he was in an eric andre skit so I just left and played with bots and won easily

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

should have switched and then :commissar:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

1151 rat kills.

It seems when you do heroic deeds on the screaming bell that aren't related to hordes the path to the end is a none-stop horde of massive waves of rats where you fight for ground one inch at a time, I want it to be like that every time because it was goddamn epic as gently caress and sold my friend on the game pretty much.

I wish I recorded that because it was a amazing finale that started off with killing the rat ogre as it was leaping to me mid-air.

Almost every map should have a mad escape to the exit as hordes pour out of every crevice to eat your face, too often the loud epic music drums on as nothing stops you on the 1 minute walk to the end.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 25, 2018

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I never should have tried Legend. I'm fairly sure this has ruined my ability to have fun with the game.

Champion got too easy (on teams where people don't randomly go senile in critical moments), so I spread the word to some friends that I was interested in some Legend runs. Every single run was crippled by some bug or a series of them. Even the sliding enemies and phantom hitboxes aren't a big deal once you get used to them. If you assume the game is just going to be unfair all the time, you always know what's going to happen. Simple. What's not so simple is when my flamestorm hitbox randomly decides to not work even at point blank range, or when my F decides hitboxes are just not going to exist and instead fly around heads pointlessly. Against a special we really needed killed with it. Maybe the Bardin gets randomly shoved through geometry and out of the level! Fun! Maybe the monster will not be able to find the team and lock off the rest of the level? Maybe enemies will start doing damage in the opposite direction of their animations cause the AI swapped targets mid animation, or whatever bollocks causes it. Maybe enemies will just skip their whole animation and glitch in to place to the end of the animation so you get hit instantly. Maybe half your team's abilities decide they just don't work right now. Maybe I press quickswap and it swaps from my ranged weapon to.. my.. ranged weapon? I can't block with this. I even see it do the swap animation and pull out the same one.

There's just too many things to name wrong with what went on tonight. Maybe any one of these is not a run ender, but what if multiple happen at once consistently? It's not even the damage output or spawn rates that are difficult. Everyone we put together knew what they were doing. Even if someone did get special snagged, they got freed immediately. The bugs, netcode, and random BS are just not possible to combat at the same time as the increased damage and spawn rates.

I am both livid and at a complete loss as for what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Try different hosts in case one person is causing the others to lag?