Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

cant you pull the parchment paper out after like 2-3 minutes?

Yep, I do exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

kuskus posted:

Does your yeast foam up and get really smelly? If not don't even proceed. Do you have a thermometer to make sure you're not killing it? Are you feeding it anything like a little sugar?

No thermometer. The yeast is definitely doing it's thing, but could be I'm not giving it enough time to activate, as the dough is only half risen. Adding sugar helps? Hmm, thinking back I may have put a bit of sugar in the mix in my old recipe. Forgetting stuff like this is why I started writing recipes down. :downs:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You say it's been awhile. Is the yeast old?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Store-bought the day of, so hopefully no.

I gave it another shot today, this time with a spoonful of sugar and some extra time for the yeast to activate. The dough rose to at least twice its size in an hour. The pizza didn't turn out quite as I hoped though, only rising a tiny amount in the oven. So obviously still need to do some tweaking. Still have enough dough for 2 or 3 more pizzas tonight so I guess it's time to play around with oven temperature and see if that helps.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That may be overworking the dough or running short on gluten.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
If you're at the pizza expo in Las Vegas, gimme a holler and let's grab a slice. I'm running around with some Caputo Cup fools and filming all kinds of poo poo.
This years expo is bananas!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gods drat it I was going to set up a no kneed pizza dough tonight and forgot.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

New to the thread. Is the home made pizza dough in the OP the standard pizza dough recipe or is there a better one?

Just bought a pizza stone and am excited to try it out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There're all variations of 60-70% hydration, maybe some oil.

the OP seems to be thin crust based with a day ferment. If that fits your schedule go for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
never tried them but i've had good luck with these recipes

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

and this one is good too but you dont need a pizza stone, you do this one in a cast iron pan

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

and this one is for pepperoni garlic knots, uses the same dough as the SE NY pizza above and is extremely loving delicious. i always get heartburn from this and it's totally worth it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/easy-pull-apart-pepperoni-garlic-bread-recipe.html

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I got pizza problems!!!

I measured out a no-knead dough tonight that I plan on baking on Saturday. I had everything measured out. 600g flour, 420g water, 2.5g yeast, 20g salt. However, like an rear end-clown, I messed up and added an equal amount of water as my flour so now I'm at 100% (600g + 600g). I only have 115g of flour left, which only takes me to 84% which is still WAY too wet for what I was aiming for. I'm going to let this 100% sit overnight.

My question is, is it still useable? Can I buy more flour tomorrow and add 257g (to get back up to 70%) flour, incorporate, and throw it in the fridge to ferment for a few days? Or am I better off starting from scratch?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

and this one is for pepperoni garlic knots, uses the same dough as the SE NY pizza above and is extremely loving delicious. i always get heartburn from this and it's totally worth it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/easy-pull-apart-pepperoni-garlic-bread-recipe.html

I’ve had a tab open with this recipe on my iPad for months because I really want to make it and don’t want to lose it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

angor posted:

I got pizza problems!!!

I measured out a no-knead dough tonight that I plan on baking on Saturday. I had everything measured out. 600g flour, 420g water, 2.5g yeast, 20g salt. However, like an rear end-clown, I messed up and added an equal amount of water as my flour so now I'm at 100% (600g + 600g). I only have 115g of flour left, which only takes me to 84% which is still WAY too wet for what I was aiming for. I'm going to let this 100% sit overnight.

My question is, is it still useable? Can I buy more flour tomorrow and add 257g (to get back up to 70%) flour, incorporate, and throw it in the fridge to ferment for a few days? Or am I better off starting from scratch?

Turn it into bread?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

iospace posted:

Turn it into bread?

It's essentially a batter. I attempted a few stretch and folds just now and transferred (poured) it into a smaller oiled bowl. I'm going to let it rise and then try and pour it gently into a ripping hot Dutch oven. Will report back! Starting the pizza dough from scratch.

Edit: Turned out not terrible! Results here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135&pagenumber=88#post482400765

angor fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 22, 2018

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The dough recipe I've had best results with is this one:

http://www.woodfiredpizza.org/pizza-dough.html

I've used it for the skillet/broiler method, cooking directly on a stone/steel in my regular oven, and for my Ferrari G3 countertop electric pizza oven (which I definitely recommend). I've tried various dough recipes with all of these methods and this is the best one every time.

To get the absolute best out of it you want to slow ferment it - 3 days in the fridge, but you can still use it and get good results after 1-3 hours of starting it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

angor posted:

It's essentially a batter. I attempted a few stretch and folds just now and transferred (poured) it into a smaller oiled bowl. I'm going to let it rise and then try and pour it gently into a ripping hot Dutch oven. Will report back! Starting the pizza dough from scratch.

Edit: Turned out not terrible! Results here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135&pagenumber=88#post482400765

I was late to the party, but you could have used it as a biga. IIRC that's what they call a more slurry-like starter. I used to use this a lot and it makes a very bubbly crust. I think I might go back to it.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
Help me pizza thread!

My first pizza always turns out great, but the second and subsequent have some bottom crust issues. I have an electric oven that maxes out at 550F and I preheat my stone for at least an hour and a half. I give the first pizza a couple minutes and then switch to the broiler - top and bottom look great and it's out after 6 minutes. The second pizza never gets brown on the bottom, even with a couple extra minutes. It does cook through. The oven itself seems to be maintaining temperature. I have a mid-range electric oven and Dough Joe stones and I use the Serious Eats New York Pizza Dough recipe.

I'd like to minimize the time between pies because my family devours the first one while I'm making the second; more waiting means less pizza for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Help me pizza thread!

My first pizza always turns out great, but the second and subsequent have some bottom crust issues. I have an electric oven that maxes out at 550F and I preheat my stone for at least an hour and a half. I give the first pizza a couple minutes and then switch to the broiler - top and bottom look great and it's out after 6 minutes. The second pizza never gets brown on the bottom, even with a couple extra minutes. It does cook through. The oven itself seems to be maintaining temperature. I have a mid-range electric oven and Dough Joe stones and I use the Serious Eats New York Pizza Dough recipe.

I'd like to minimize the time between pies because my family devours the first one while I'm making the second; more waiting means less pizza for me.

Do you have an infrared thermometer? I use mine to see what the temperature of my steel is. Usually on the first pie it will be about 520 degrees, then after cooking one pizza for ~8 minutes and taking it out, the temperature of the steel will be about 475. I have to let it come back up to 520 if I want consistent results.

If that's the problem you're facing, maybe a good way to quickly bring the steel back up to temperature would be blasting the broiler on the empty steel after the first pizza is taken out? When I used to try and get my oven as hot as possible, I could get the steel up to about 550 and then cranking the broiler for a minute or two, I've gotten the steel to measure at 610 before.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I made pizzas.

Margherita

Crust shot

Mushroom, baby rocket, parmesan, black pepper

Onion, capers, kalamata, mushroom

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Another dumb question:

Pizza peels:

Aluminum or wood?
Size?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Piggy Smalls posted:

Another dumb question:

Pizza peels:

Aluminum or wood?
Size?

My experience is that wood is best for launching the pizza initially. I had a 16” aluminum and it was too hard to get enough semolina on it to the post by where the pizza wouldn’t stick...even then, it was tough to use.

Wood is a lot easier for launching. You can throw some flour on it, rub it in, and then a bit of semolina before the pizza and it will launch without much of a hassle. I still use my aluminum for shifting the pizza around after the initial launch, though-it’s much thinner than the wood peel, so I’m able to quickly and easily get under the pizza after it’s cooked a bit.

If you’re using a stone or steel in an oven, the biggest you probably need is 14”-it’s what I have for the wooden peel and I can’t really get a bigger pie than 14” on my steel...maybe 16”, but that would be edge to edge and require a perfect launch.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Wood, absolutely. The raw dough sticks to the metal to easily and can be unforgiving if you take too long. You can use a lot less flour and you have more time to prepare the pizza before it sticks.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

So maybe wood for the launch and metal to turn and get out of the oven?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Piggy Smalls posted:

Yeah that’s what I do. If you have the room for both types of peels, then go for it. Otherwise I would just do a wood one if that’s all you can afford.

There’s this one Italian company that makes these slotted aluminum peels that supposedly work great, but they want $100 plus for them and I’m still not convinced it would work better than wood for my needs, so I’ll stick to using two types of peels.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

nwin posted:

There’s this one Italian company that makes these slotted aluminum peels that supposedly work great, but they want $100 plus for them and I’m still not convinced it would work better than wood for my needs, so I’ll stick to using two types of peels.

I was interested in this, so I checked and saw all the expensive options, but looks like there's a cheaper option now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YB945...la-310643501934

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Piggy Smalls posted:

This is the configuration I used at my dad's restaurant back in the day and it works great. At home I just use a small wooden pizza peel. It's not as easy to remove the pizza from the oven/grill because I have to use some tongs to lift it onto the pizza but I'm not going to buy another peel just for that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've used a superpeel for several years and it really works well, only wish i had was that the handle could be a bit longer for better leverage

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Eh I prefer my aluminium peel to wood - admittedly I was using a wooden chopping board previously but it does have bevelled edges a bit like a peel.

I just load it up with semolina (cornmeal) before rolling my dough out and I don't have any issues with sticking. My peel has like a brushed aluminium surface which I think helps - maybe this is standard to all peels?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finished off the AP flour I had for roux and such. The dough made with that was unsuprisingly not very strong when stretching which I'm not great at to begin with. Is there any point in going out of my way for something like Caputo? I'm already tempted to put in a pennmac order for decent low moisture mozzarella and pepperoni since the local options are just store brand skim and Hormel :barf:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Wow, disheartened is how I feel. I made the pizza dough in the OP and let it rest over night. Then the trouble began:

1) Sticky mess. Put flour on my hands, tried to knead the dough into a flat disk and it would stick to everything. Added more flour and felt that I was changing the composition of the pizza dough since I was introducing too much flour to the dough.

2) Frustration mounts as now the Dough begins to literally rip as I try to knead it. Perhaps too much flour?

3) Ok, great idea, a rolling pin. Let me pretend I'm making tortillas. I roll the dough and it looks absolutely beautiful. Omg, is it actually working? Nope, the drat dough has now stuck to the mat I was rolling it on.

4) Screw it, place it on the wood peel with semolina flour and it rolls beautifully on the pizza stone.

5) Finish cooking and notice as I bite into it that the thicker layers of cooked dough don't appear to be quite cooked.

6) Help pizza goons. My dough is way too sticky but don't know what to do and I'm sure it has to be slightly sticky so fixing the sticky part will probably not work anyways.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Piggy Smalls posted:

Wow, disheartened is how I feel. I made the pizza dough in the OP and let it rest over night. Then the trouble began:

1) Sticky mess. Put flour on my hands, tried to knead the dough into a flat disk and it would stick to everything. Added more flour and felt that I was changing the composition of the pizza dough since I was introducing too much flour to the dough.

2) Frustration mounts as now the Dough begins to literally rip as I try to knead it. Perhaps too much flour?

3) Ok, great idea, a rolling pin. Let me pretend I'm making tortillas. I roll the dough and it looks absolutely beautiful. Omg, is it actually working? Nope, the drat dough has now stuck to the mat I was rolling it on.

4) Screw it, place it on the wood peel with semolina flour and it rolls beautifully on the pizza stone.

5) Finish cooking and notice as I bite into it that the thicker layers of cooked dough don't appear to be quite cooked.

6) Help pizza goons. My dough is way too sticky but don't know what to do and I'm sure it has to be slightly sticky so fixing the sticky part will probably not work anyways.

The dough in the OP is just over 69% hydration which is a bit on the higher end, though is probably still workable with enough dusting. If you're against aggressive dusting, and don't mind altering the characteristics of the formula, try going down to maybe about 65% hydration (~13.2 oz water) and see if that helps. It's generally easier to work with lower hydration doughs as they are less sticky. If you are familiar with The Bread Baker's Apprentice 65% also happens to be the threshold Reinhart uses to separate standard and rustic. It's also the effective hydration of the dough for pizza napoletana in The Pizza Bible.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

look up pizza balling/shaping as well. The OP dough doesn't specify that in a quick read and shaping the gluten would help with the handling issues a bit.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

Wood, absolutely.

Can anyone link to a specific wood peel?

I've got:
1. An Epicurian one, which is sealed wood and behaves more like metal
2. A metal one, we've covered that
(both were gifts)

The last true wood one I used was kind of thick and somewhat cheap. Don't want to fall into that trap again.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Heners_UK posted:

Can anyone link to a specific wood peel?

I've got:
1. An Epicurian one, which is sealed wood and behaves more like metal
2. A metal one, we've covered that
(both were gifts)

The last true wood one I used was kind of thick and somewhat cheap. Don't want to fall into that trap again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LPDNPO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I got. No problems out of the box-I just put some flour on it and rubbed it on the peel, and then shook the excess off, and it was good to go.

Don't ever wash these though, if you can help it. It causes the unfinished wood to develop some splinters almost, and you have to sand it down. That's what happened to a pizzacraft peel that I bought.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Crossposting from the last night's meal thread, made pan pizza with Kenji's dough recipe. So drat good.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

blixa posted:

Crossposting from the last night's meal thread, made pan pizza with Kenji's dough recipe. So drat good.

Nice. I've been going through Kenji's pizza recipe and my continual conclusion is that I never really get the dough quite right and it's always a little annoying but never enough to make it a bad pizza.

Spicy Sicilian first try:
Boar's head natural casing pepperoni, and goat cheese on half

Came out really well aside from I think me not using nearly enough olive oil in the pan to get that really good pan fried effect for the crust.

Detroit style attempt #1:
This one was sorta, well, a hot fuckin mess. I went way too heavy on the cheese and sauce, at least partially because this sauce is so loving good I could drink it straight up. Also it was in the oven a tad long:

Detroit style #2: More restraint edition. I didn't do the end to end cheese that the recipe/style calls for and just made it more like a normal pizza.

The crust on this one was fantastic. Ultra crisp crunch on the bottom, still light and puffed on the edges.

My only thing with these style crusts is, I cannot seem to get them to be very consistent thickness wise. The dought doesn't seem like one you want to work over too much in terms of stretch or rolling or whatnot, so the end result is that even with big puffy crusts on the side of the pizza, portions of the interior can be super duper thin. You can sorta see it in that last picture there.

Side note, but the baking steel + black pan combo is completely loving magic.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Gwaihir posted:

Detroit style

Man, that second Detroit one looks good. I really want to buy a Detroit style pan, think they're about $35 on Amazon. Maybe that'll be my tax refund gift to myself (ha no I owed taxes).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That pan is really really good. If you like crusty brownies it's also a real champ for those, too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gwaihir posted:

Nice. I've been going through Kenji's pizza recipe and my continual conclusion is that I never really get the dough quite right and it's always a little annoying but never enough to make it a bad pizza.

Spicy Sicilian first try:
Boar's head natural casing pepperoni, and goat cheese on half

Came out really well aside from I think me not using nearly enough olive oil in the pan to get that really good pan fried effect for the crust.

Is that the super wet dough, 3 hour rise one? I do that one a lot. You definitely need a LOT of olive oil, but it's worth it. I've learned you really have to bake it close to the bottom of the oven too (in an electric, at least). So tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, that and the Detroit on are both super wet, like 68% or something.