Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Xad posted:

Right now we're assuming either Androids are town and scum team is Goku and friends, or that good guys are good guys and scum is some Androids or something.

Lumpen posted:

This is a weird statement that doesn't seem to follow what's in the thread. I don't think that was suggested in the thread. Is Xad talking in a Discord channel and slipped?

This didn't really get picked up by anyone since it was in the middle of the android flavor debacle but Lumpen is dead on about Xad's comment here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I was considering it as a form of calling Lumpen's bluff if nothing else came up. I thought it possible that a scum Lumpen would reveal being an android, but claiming town in order to throw any possible flavourcops off.

I doubt they would have claimed the definitely villainous 15, though

This is Jeabus' explanation for the scummiest post in the thread. It doesn't make any sense.

"I thought Lumpen was bluffing when he claimed to be an android that is town aligned to deal with any flavorcop. But then Lumpen claimed a bad android and I don't think he would do that as scum."

Like... what? If you thought he was trying to throw off a flavorcop, why is claiming a definitely villainous role the thing to make you back off? Isn't that exactly what someone trying to throw off a flavorcop would do?

The reasoning here is inconsistent.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

chaoslord posted:

Like... what? If you thought he was trying to throw off a flavorcop, why is claiming a definitely villainous role the thing to make you back off? Isn't that exactly what someone trying to throw off a flavorcop would do?

If you wanted to throw off a flavourcop, your claim should probably make some sort of sense. 16, 17 and 18 would have been plausible "I'm an android but I'm town" claims, not 15.

Bear in mind I'm talking in regards to the flavourcop in DBZmaf1, who could read powerlevels - something that androids don't have.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Mord has claimed an ability. Scum have abilities, but I'm willing to back off.

I think I see where fifty is coming from.

##unvote

The bolded is an over-explanation for the unvote. "Mord claimed an ability, gonna back off" would have been enough, throwing in the "Scum have abilities" thing is strange to me, like it's hedging his unvote. Don't like it.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

like, all they would get is "they an android" and if the groupthink is "kill androids" they could just say "they android, sic 'em"

there might not even be a loving flavourcop I don't loving know

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Dancer posted:

Can we skip the b-minus thing please?

Especially this, this is not how statistical events work.

This is also not helpful. Like, I don't have a problem with it, but I know that some people will react reflexively to it, and that just makes things hard to read for everyone around.

I'm leaning towards not voting b-minus because I get that he's frustrated, and I'd rather not add to it by not letting him play mafia. Once he actually does anything suspect, sure, but for now there are 26 other people in the game who are as good a D1 lynch as him.

Here's an example. ##vote Dancer

I’m doing a reread and this post is weird as hell

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like almost all of rhjamiz's posts besides voting Mord have been parroting other people, and I can't tell if it's newbie jitters or scum refusing to post original content

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Birdstrike posted:

I’m doing a reread and this post is weird as hell

I forgot about this post and I’m glad someone else found it odd. It’s almost as if dancer knows I’m town...

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

b-minus1 posted:

I forgot about this post and I’m glad someone else found it odd. It’s almost as if dancer knows I’m town...

Or you’re scum and he’s trying to divert attention from you by self voting...

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

If you wanted to throw off a flavourcop, your claim should probably make some sort of sense. 16, 17 and 18 would have been plausible "I'm an android but I'm town" claims, not 15.

Bear in mind I'm talking in regards to the flavourcop in DBZmaf1, who could read powerlevels - something that androids don't have.
If you were Android 16/17/18 and scum, you wouldn't necessarily need to get out ahead of a possible flavorcop, though. There is enough room to argue around whether 16/17/18 could be town because they end up aligning with the Z Fighters to fight Cell. If you were a definitely 100% bad android, that would be when you would need to be out it front of it, similar to a miller (I know Lumpen is not a miller, but being a town with a villain flavor might as well be a FlavorMiller.)

Said another way:

If he is a full on bad Android flavor and got flavorcopped as such, no one would believe claiming town after the fact. If he was 16/17/18, there is a chance he could argue he is town after the fact.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

like, all they would get is "they an android" and if the groupthink is "kill androids" they could just say "they android, sic 'em"

there might not even be a loving flavourcop I don't loving know
Sure, there might not be, who knows what is out there, but your logic around that post doesn't add up (in addition to the original post just being Real Bad on it's own)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I read it as "oh god someone's going to take this obvious joke seriously better get out ahead of it" but Who Knows

it's a strange thing to be concerned about, but it looks like this was prior to Mord starting Android=scum??!!?!?!1?! flavor hell so I want to give Dancer the benefit of the doubt

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Xad posted:

Was rereading some posts and this one stuck out to me a bit, really don't like the "hm welp guess you have to claim or get executed :shrug:" line there

I feel like this is reaching, and is trying to set a false narrative

Mordiceius posted:

I had 7. I figured it was better to nip it in the bud now then wait until 2 hours before deadline where we then need to hopefully muster 14 votes in 2 hours.

Meanwhile we have multiple people with less that five posts (or less that five non joke posts) since the day started. And who knows if they plan to contribute at all as it would be really easy to fly under the radar while this feud went on.

Mord later claims, on his own and states his reasoning for doing so. So what exactly are you accusing me of?

If I’m being honest Mord makes a great point about the lurkers which I later agree with

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I could get behind this logic, lurkers I mean

I mean if I’m following that logic, it leads us to a Lumpen lynch and if he’s town you’d go next. I feel like that puts you in town territory as it’s a suicide play any other way

I’ll take my own advice and back off
##unvote

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

chaoslord posted:

If you were Android 16/17/18 and scum, you wouldn't necessarily need to get out ahead of a possible flavorcop, though. There is enough room to argue around whether 16/17/18 could be town because they end up aligning with the Z Fighters to fight Cell. If you were a definitely 100% bad android, that would be when you would need to be out it front of it, similar to a miller (I know Lumpen is not a miller, but being a town with a villain flavor might as well be a FlavorMiller.)

he didn't claim 15 until after I made that post

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’ll be honest: all of this android talk is going over my head. I’ve never seen s single episode of dbz.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

he didn't claim 15 until after I made that post

What does that have to do with you saying

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Because from my seat it looks like you made a really bad post and are trying to back away from it with that bit.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
##unvote

[b]##vote Dancer

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
mafia edit: ##vote Dancer

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike posted:

##unvote

[b]##vote Dancer

:bravo:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

you mailbox head!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike posted:

you mailbox head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Because from my seat it looks like you made a really bad post and are trying to back away from it with that bit.

Sorry, I'm going to need you to go over your argument again because it's not making any sense to me right no and I'm getting worked up.

Please space it out and make it simple to read, my brain's not in a good place right now.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

*mafia edit: right now not right no

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

The long and the short of it is: It was tempting

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

People are saying they don't get my asiina vote so I'll try to make it clear.

Her initial vote is based off his flavor case.

Her followup is saying lynching for information is bad. (Generally is, but it's a common suggestion made regardless of alignment.)

As well as her suggesting that him betting on more than one scumteam to be indicative of outside information.

These are easy, simplistic arguments that are difficult to argue against as they are completely WIFOM in nature. This kind of case is easy to put out there as a seemingly major contribution to discussion without putting ones neck out. If the case turns out to be wrong, there is little to no blowback.

It is unlikely a case like this would be used as a bus technique so I would say it's safe to assume asiina and mord do not share a scum alignment, and I while I find mords argument likely to be wrong, being that it is entirely possible for there to be town androids. I find it to not be a scummy train of thought. However I find asiinas assertion that mords actions are scummy to be far too shallow of reasoning to make a serious case off of.

Too many layers of WIFOM for that case to be remotely strong, and the fact she seems to be satisfied with leaning on this as her primary contribution for the day feels to me like someone putting out the guise of contribution while still attempting to blend behind safe opinions that nobody will fault her for.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ok

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Voting Lumpen just to see what his deal is (and possibly shed light on the rest of the game's setup) is tempting.

You started with this post. This is a super scummy post. Birb correctly pointed out that this gives a poor reason for a possible vote (town should be scumhunting, not to see what Lumpen's deal is), and it's super hedgy since you say it's tempting but you never make an alignment call and you never vote. Without a vote attached to it it is easier to walk away from later.

You then followed it up with this explanation

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I was considering it as a form of calling Lumpen's bluff if nothing else came up. I thought it possible that a scum Lumpen would reveal being an android, but claiming town in order to throw any possible flavourcops off.

Here you say you were "calling Lumpen's bluff if nothing else came up". What does that even mean? You were either calling his bluff or you weren't. How could something that comes up in the future change whether or not you were calling his bluff at the moment you made this post?

If you weren't calling his bluff, the original post is nonsense.

If you were calling his bluff, why would his later claiming to be android 15 make you back off? Why is "I'm an android but town" worthy of calling him as bluffing on but "I'm Android 15 but town" not?

Especially in relation to a possible flavorcop, which you bring up in this post as in your mind when you made the original post. If he's scum, which you maybe thought Lumpen was (the fact that I can't tell is a big problem with your posts), him claiming "Android 15 but town" would have to be done before a possible flavorcop; Android 16/17/18 could argue their way around it after the fact since they have cannonical good sides (17 probably debatable here), but apparently 15 is a definitely villain, so a town claim after a flavorcop is way more likely to fall on deaf ears. It doesn't make sense, to me, for him attaching a definitely villain android to be a reason to back away when you are thinking "potential flavorcop"

TL;DR: Your first post was super scummy because you were very hedgey, and your second post doesn't make any sense as a justification of it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

50 pounds of bread posted:

People are saying they don't get my asiina vote so I'll try to make it clear.

Her initial vote is based off his flavor case.

Her followup is saying lynching for information is bad. (Generally is, but it's a common suggestion made regardless of alignment.)

As well as her suggesting that him betting on more than one scumteam to be indicative of outside information.

These are easy, simplistic arguments that are difficult to argue against as they are completely WIFOM in nature. This kind of case is easy to put out there as a seemingly major contribution to discussion without putting ones neck out. If the case turns out to be wrong, there is little to no blowback.

It is unlikely a case like this would be used as a bus technique so I would say it's safe to assume asiina and mord do not share a scum alignment, and I while I find mords argument likely to be wrong, being that it is entirely possible for there to be town androids. I find it to not be a scummy train of thought. However I find asiinas assertion that mords actions are scummy to be far too shallow of reasoning to make a serious case off of.

Too many layers of WIFOM for that case to be remotely strong, and the fact she seems to be satisfied with leaning on this as her primary contribution for the day feels to me like someone putting out the guise of contribution while still attempting to blend behind safe opinions that nobody will fault her for.

Hmm.

What are your thoughts on the other people voting for Mord?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##unvote

Changed my mind on Tobbs.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

chaoslord posted:

Ok

You started with this post. This is a super scummy post. Birb correctly pointed out that this gives a poor reason for a possible vote (town should be scumhunting, not to see what Lumpen's deal is), and it's super hedgy since you say it's tempting but you never make an alignment call and you never vote. Without a vote attached to it it is easier to walk away from later.

You then followed it up with this explanation

Here you say you were "calling Lumpen's bluff if nothing else came up". What does that even mean? You were either calling his bluff or you weren't. How could something that comes up in the future change whether or not you were calling his bluff at the moment you made this post?

If you weren't calling his bluff, the original post is nonsense.

If you were calling his bluff, why would his later claiming to be android 15 make you back off? Why is "I'm an android but town" worthy of calling him as bluffing on but "I'm Android 15 but town" not?

Especially in relation to a possible flavorcop, which you bring up in this post as in your mind when you made the original post. If he's scum, which you maybe thought Lumpen was (the fact that I can't tell is a big problem with your posts), him claiming "Android 15 but town" would have to be done before a possible flavorcop; Android 16/17/18 could argue their way around it after the fact since they have cannonical good sides (17 probably debatable here), but apparently 15 is a definitely villain, so a town claim after a flavorcop is way more likely to fall on deaf ears. It doesn't make sense, to me, for him attaching a definitely villain android to be a reason to back away when you are thinking "potential flavorcop"

TL;DR: Your first post was super scummy because you were very hedgey, and your second post doesn't make any sense as a justification of it

this is a good post, I would revote

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Strongest gut reads on Jeabus and AA currently.

##vote Jeabus

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

chaoslord posted:

because I wasn't calling his bluff at that moment. In the future, if nothing else came up, voting him would be calling the bluff

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

chaoslord posted:

(town should be scumhunting, not to see what Lumpen's deal is)

okay the key point here is that think I'm only concerned about Lumpen. It would be to provide info on the setup, too, which, FAILING ANY MORE LIKELY SCUM TARGETS, would at least be a consolation prize.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill ##vote chaoslord

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I had already addressed why I made that post, for chaos to bring it up without talking about the followup feels like pushing a narrative

same but less with AS and saying how "awfully quiet" I've been when there are others who have like, one post

perhaps awfully quite isn't right, more you quietened down after being called out re: the initial post.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

because I wasn't calling his bluff at that moment. In the future, if nothing else came up, voting him would be calling the bluff

so you signalled you may vote him later if nothing came up, but if you did later it would be a bluff?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lesser feels on Mord, Binus, and Sal.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

GeneX posted:

Hmm.

What are your thoughts on the other people voting for Mord?
The other two people voting mord right now (gtg didn't hold their unvote) are rhjamiz and Willie Dee.

Willie see seems to be getting their bearings for mafia in general, it's difficult for me to have an opinion on them until they get into the rythym of the game more.

Rhjamiz has a different approach to the case than asiina, and it's one I feel is fairly safe, but also better. Their point is that when questioned, mord doubled down on what they perceived to be a weaker part of the case, then proceeded to backpedal when he received real pressure.

This is a far stronger case, and I would find the mord case more worthy if it was based off of this point. However, I feel that the easier approach taken by asiina and seemingly parroted by multiple people, reeks of scum manipulation. Because I think asiina and mord cannot be scum together, and that asiina is by far the scummier of the two, this argument has fallen to the backburner for me.

I will write up the people who have already unvoted mord in a bit, I need to run to the store.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

okay the key point here is that think I'm only concerned about Lumpen. It would be to provide info on the setup, too, which, FAILING ANY MORE LIKELY SCUM TARGETS, would at least be a consolation prize.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill ##vote chaoslord

I mean, it's literally your own words

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Voting Lumpen just to see what his deal is (and possibly shed light on the rest of the game's setup) is tempting.

You would maybe possibly vote lumpen in the future to call a bluff (lol what?) to:

1. see what his deal is
2. possibly shed light on the setup

but nice OMGUS

(I also like the "FAILING ANY MORE LIKELY SCUM TARGETS" in all caps to try to emphasize that point when Jeabus has not really done any scumhunting to try to find those other targets)

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Atomic Soda posted:

so you signalled you may vote him later if nothing came up, but if you did later it would be a bluff?

No. Read better

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

chaoslord posted:

to call a bluff (lol what?)

how is this so hard to understand

it is a simple turn of phrase

do you not know what words be doing

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

how is this so hard to understand

it is a simple turn of phrase

do you not know what words be doing

I understand what you mean. I just think you're lying because it doesn't add up to me.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

chaoslord posted:

I understand what you mean. I just think you're lying because it doesn't add up to me.

no... you don't

otherwise it would add up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

no... you don't

otherwise it would add up

:ok:

• Locked thread