Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
same. For five dollars I will uninstall sfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm in a weird situation in my campaign. I am playing on Hard as Vlad von Carstein. Not a veteran of these games at all. I think I missed the boat early when it comes to taking over the Vampire Counts, so we just became friends, then total allies with me hoping to out-expand and then confederate. However, we've had basically totally parallel development. They never seem to lose. They have like 8 armies trotting all over and like a dozen+ heroes. I have like 3.5 stacks which is about all I can afford upkeep wise, even though we are measured as equal in strength or me a little higher.

What do I do? Where does this endgame pan out? When we have joint enemies, they just attack me over him so I'm reluctant to declare war on the people he's already fighting to try and steal his gains because they will just attack me over him generally speaking. Is it a legit tactic to try and get him to send his forces into unwinnable fights with War Coordination or will the AI not fall for that?

tl;dr help my allies are too successful and we're winning too much between us

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Your only option is to backstab them and take your castle back while all their armies are out.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jeza posted:

I'm in a weird situation in my campaign. I am playing on Hard as Vlad von Carstein. Not a veteran of these games at all. I think I missed the boat early when it comes to taking over the Vampire Counts, so we just became friends, then total allies with me hoping to out-expand and then confederate. However, we've had basically totally parallel development. They never seem to lose. They have like 8 armies trotting all over and like a dozen+ heroes. I have like 3.5 stacks which is about all I can afford upkeep wise, even though we are measured as equal in strength or me a little higher.

What do I do? Where does this endgame pan out? When we have joint enemies, they just attack me over him so I'm reluctant to declare war on the people he's already fighting to try and steal his gains because they will just attack me over him generally speaking. Is it a legit tactic to try and get him to send his forces into unwinnable fights with War Coordination or will the AI not fall for that?

tl;dr help my allies are too successful and we're winning too much between us

Deep down you know the answer to this. There can only be one Von Carstein(and wife)

P.S: War coordination does nothing, and the AI will always prioritize attacking you.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

P.S: War coordination does nothing, and the AI will always prioritize attacking you.

Is this a recent change, war coordination doing nothing? I've gotten some pretty good results with it. Got the college of pyrotechnics to invade Norsca by giving them a Norscan port as a war target a few months ago.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anyone else notice the AI does some obnoxious artillery-dodging now? I'm starting to just not use arty in 2 because of how pointless it is in most situations.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Anyone else notice the AI does some obnoxious artillery-dodging now? I'm starting to just not use arty in 2 because of how pointless it is in most situations.

They do, but half the time it backfires because it takes them longer to get in melee range.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Trujillo posted:

Is this a recent change, war coordination doing nothing? I've gotten some pretty good results with it. Got the college of pyrotechnics to invade Norsca by giving them a Norscan port as a war target a few months ago.

I never noticed it doing anything. The ally AI only does whatever they want, which usually is nothing, be either in Normal/H/VH difficulty.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the ai is kind of unreliable but given enough time and nudging they'll eventually listen to coordination targets

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've had AI go for coordination targets, but generally only when said target is vulnerable enough that the AI thinks it has a good chance of winning. A full stack in a walled city won't attract attention, even with your army in support; however, if you can get that army out and kill it, or even beat both and sack the city, then the AI will probably send over a stack if it's nearby.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Plan Z posted:

They try to dodge but it’s a net benefit to the player

Also makes catapult-style weapons god-tier at counterbattery because the AI siege will shuffle around trying to dodge instead of returning fire

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They try to dodge but it’s a net benefit to the player

Also makes catapult-style weapons god-tier at counterbattery because the AI siege will shuffle around trying to dodge instead of returning fire

I’ve also noticed that enemy archers that are firing will not dodge, so once the lines collide you can still get good use out of them without having to switch targets constantly

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/87awd6/crynsos_faction_unlocker_what_prevents_you_from/

Voice your complaints about the faction unlocker here.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
The AI's artillery dodging is a silly thing to behold, but it is true that its a benefit to the player, first off the AI takes longer to reach ur frontline and secondly, most of the time their dodge attempts ends up causing them a lot more damage due to splashing into more units and clumping up.
Just make sure to have at least 2 artillery units and target 2 different but somewhat adjacent targets, and don't bother to target anything that is moving faster then a regular infantry unit, like cav or monsters that has low model count, won't work well even without their active dodging.

Bonus fun fact; depending on the enemy units you can field a critical mass of like 10 rock lobbas and bombard the enemy to death without them ever reaching you due to their dodging attempts stopping their advance completely.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
If Ulthuan literally floats on top of the water how can it have a volcano?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

packetmantis posted:

If Ulthuan literally floats on top of the water how can it have a volcano?

Magic

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I like how he asked what problems people have with the mod, and then proceeded to tell everyone with a problem that they're wrong and there is no problem.

Literally, the response to the top comment is "I have no intention of reverting this"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I like how he asked what problems people have with the mod, and then proceeded to tell everyone with a problem that they're wrong and there is no problem.

Literally, the response to the top comment is "I have no intention of reverting this"

It doesn’t help that a lot of the top voted comments are stupid poo poo like “I love your mod I think it’s the best, but I probably don’t want to play as random_empire_province but don’t change anything!” which isn’t exactly helpful feedback.

But then when people start pointing out that hey, giving every minor faction better stuff can throw off the balance of the game, well:

quote:

Of course some power imbalances are meant to exist, but that doesn't mean that improving them would make it a less fun campaign.

Plenty of people are enjoying for example Mixu's and Cataph's lords for the unique aspects they bring, which is similar to the improved starting units I'm adding to various factions, which adds increased challenge when fighting those or a somewhat unique playstyle to that faction's early army, according to their faction's combat preference.

Making a faction "viable" or "properly playable" doesn't mean that I would change their starting situation much at all, it mostly includes some improved higher tier starting units and potentially some modifications of the starting army and buildings.

"Core" or official factions never really suffer because of that, as they have so many bonuses that the minor factions do not have by default (unique starting cities in most cases, unique starting units, lord bonuses, better AI, earliest in the turn order, etc) that minor factions do not have, that they will always have an edge of some kind

Which makes me think he genuinely doesn’t understand how balance works. My problem with Cataph’s (besides the turn times) is that it exacerbates all the already existing faction balance issues. AI LLs with a weaker start just get crushed because “having an edge” as Naggarond doesn’t mean jack when the AI just gets tag teamed by buffed skaven and norsca for the first 20 turns. Skeggi often holds out for a while, which tends to cripple Mazdamundi’s start. Every Bretonnian faction gets absolutely murdered, and the Empire can barely hold onto Altdorf sometimes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

His answer for the performance problem was basically "I don't see how a 68% increase in end turn times is an issue."

Alright.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am not sure you could possibly get a solution for your longer turn times.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Third World Reggin posted:

make computers think faster

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I would happily download a faction unlocker that only affects Norse Dwarfs, Mousillon, and Southern Realms. Instead the ME turns go from bad to worse just in case someone really wants to start as Mengil’s Manflayers or whatever.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Not using his mod seems to solve his mod's poo poo performance quite well, actually.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I would happily download a faction unlocker that only affects Norse Dwarfs, Mousillon, and Southern Realms. Instead the ME turns go from bad to worse just in case someone really wants to start as Mengil’s Manflayers or whatever.

This is what I am talking about. Everyone is going to want their own pet factions and not the other factions which means you have to have a lot of sub mods just to fix this.

As far as I know, this messes with the start position crap and would create issues.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is what I am talking about. Everyone is going to want their own pet factions and not the other factions which means you have to have a lot of sub mods just to fix this.

As far as I know, this messes with the start position crap and would create issues.

I think it would work pretty well to make the faction unlocker a base mod that doesn't unlock any factions and just let whoever wants to play with a specific set of factions handle that on their own.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I dunno if Crysnos is a native anglophone but “Karak Dank” sounds stupid as gently caress

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I think it would work pretty well to make the faction unlocker a base mod that doesn't unlock any factions

uh I am not certain but I think that is impossible

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

uh I am not certain but I think that is impossible

I think that it worked pretty well in Warhammer 1.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Break it into submods. It's not like once a faction has been unlocked it can't be undone. Have a "Full" version with everything and a "Slim" one with just the factions that have overhauls on the workshop.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Break it into submods. It's not like once a faction has been unlocked it can't be undone. Have a "Full" version with everything and a "Slim" one with just the factions that have overhauls on the workshop.

Crynsos did have a lite version of his mod back in WH1; I don't know the circumstances of why things seem a lot more shaky (and hostile) in WH2.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

toasterwarrior posted:

Crynsos did have a lite version of his mod back in WH1; I don't know the circumstances of why things seem a lot more shaky (and hostile) in WH2.

He says that he doesn't want to take the time to support all of the submods, which doesn't make much sense because people already made their own in WH1.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yah reading through his comments, that is apparently his plan.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If you are running the C&C mod always be sure to mouse over attack strength because there are some deceptively strong units out there.

For example, great cannon does a modest 300dps but if you mouse over the bonus vs large is a whopping 1000 damage!

Handgunners don't appear to have fantastic dps but it turns out they have high per shot damage, just a very slow rate of fire which is useful for shooting at charging armored units then retiring them to the rear since during a charge you really get more than 1 Salvo off anyway.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

anybody know any good mods that add some variety to the way the units look? its my only real issue with the game visually is that everyone within a unit is basically identical which looks kinda bad to me

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nopantsjack posted:

anybody know any good mods that add some variety to the way the units look? its my only real issue with the game visually is that everyone within a unit is basically identical which looks kinda bad to me

Dryrain's reskins are all good, Serial's are better if you play on an i9 with a small collection of SLI 1080 Ti's.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 27, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

There’s one I forget the name of that adds an “officer” to units, which is just one reskinned model per unit that looks fancier. It’s pretty low key but cool

feller
Jul 5, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Dryrain's reskins are all good, Serial's are better if you play on an i9 with a small collection of SLI 1080 Ti's.

:lol: you aren't lying. These things are super pretty and also kill my poor computer

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Picked this game back up again after Vermintide 2 got me into a Warhammery mood, and while I had fun playing Khalida/Tretch, man, I was expecting more after this long of a break.

Units are still forgetting orders, the lighting is still hosed up, ME does not seem to be improved at all, Norsca/RoRs are nowhere in sight, Handgunners still won't shoot anything. I assume the spawning rules for intervention/chaos armies in the Vortex campaign are just as frustrating as before, since I haven't seen anything about it in the notes. Doesn't seem like there's been many patches at all. I'm a little disappointed after all of the support TWW1 got.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I booted this up with C&C hoping for some fun but I just find the campaign layer of this game so dull, I'm not really sure why since I liked TWWH1 a lot. Maybe cause by now that game had more content? I dunno, all the factions are fun to play but spamming turns until you can field a fun army comp isn't and since the campaign is so streamlined its more evident that thats all there is than it is in other TWs.

Maybe ill try Delf or Helf or something, they at least start off with reasonable access to combined arms.

oh thanks for the Serial mod recommendation though, thats exactly what I'm after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vargs posted:

Picked this game back up again after Vermintide 2 got me into a Warhammery mood, and while I had fun playing Khalida/Tretch, man, I was expecting more after this long of a break.

Units are still forgetting orders, the lighting is still hosed up, ME does not seem to be improved at all, Norsca/RoRs are nowhere in sight, Handgunners still won't shoot anything. I assume the spawning rules for intervention/chaos armies in the Vortex campaign are just as frustrating as before, since I haven't seen anything about it in the notes. Doesn't seem like there's been many patches at all. I'm a little disappointed after all of the support TWW1 got.

Wait until May and treat it like a WH2 Relaunch. That's when Norsca, RoRs, the next DLC, and whatever else they've been working on for literally forever all hit