Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

have books turn into ammo for a trog nuke power on pickup

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"What book do you choose to forget?"
"Choose target"
"The spellbook conflagrates as it leaves your hands!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just have trog set every spellcaster who comes into line of sight on fire

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't read this

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fr: gorgon species that has a petrify power but poor stabbing stats. it could also be a monster

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

fr: cockatrice corpse launcher

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fr: cock launcher

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
fr: cock

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Tollymain posted:

hey i wasnt kidding we absolutely should be jacking the new spell library feature from trunk

I can't even play anything but trunk now because of it

Floodkiller posted:

I'll be putting it and other major commits from trunk together with the feature request/pull request survey. One issue I will point out with it is that Trog book burning and book amnesia goes away temporarily if it is implemented (until I or someone else figures out what's needed to modify the library system to put it back in).

They can both afford it especially since when you amnesia a spell, it still stays in your library.

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Dropping magic books and setting on fire with the power of Trogs hatred of magic and burning up your enemies was super cool and fun and gave awesome flavor to trog worship. So makes sense it doesn't exist any more.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
For Trog just replace all books with a new regular item called "Heretical Texts", use as ammo for the ability. Should be trivial to implement?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Well really there's no reason the book has to be consumed for it to add the spells to your library, right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

baby delivery truck posted:

They can both afford it especially since when you amnesia a spell, it still stays in your library.

why worry about whether they can "afford it"? floodkiller's point is that he'll be readding those things

this is the part of the modern vanilla crawl dev approach i don't understand. complete removal of something flavorful because it conflicts with another change being made, instead of redesigning the flavorful thing in order to preserve it. trog book-burning may not be an integral part of trog mechanically, but it sure is important for his theme

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

baby delivery truck posted:

Well really there's no reason the book has to be consumed for it to add the spells to your library, right?
A solution to keep trog book burning that might be easier code-wise is to not automatically read spellbooks, so they stay in your inventory until you decide to do so, which also allows trog worshippers to carry and then drop them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Or just prevent troglodytes from automatically reading spellbooks and leave it the same for everyone else.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Trog should just make spellbooks burst up in flames on sight.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Firestorm centered on the spellbook! :kingsley:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Trog should just make spellbooks burst up in flames on sight.
This is good flavour wise but makes it pretty pointless to abandon Trog.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is good flavour wise but makes it pretty pointless to abandon Trog.

Tell that to Ru.

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
When worshiping trog, all spell books are converted to a new item "heretical texts" and can be used to blaze up like usual. 420 worship trog everyday

Additional trog talk: what about a new power that let's trog burn up all the corpses in your line of sight.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's basically Corpse Rot in god power form. And the first rule of Crawl Dev is No Overlapping Effects.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or just prevent troglodytes from automatically reading spellbooks and leave it the same for everyone else.
But what if I don't start as a berserker, plan on joining trog once I find his altar, and find a book before that happens?

Sage Grimm posted:

That's basically Corpse Rot in god power form. And the first rule of Crawl Dev is No Overlapping Effects.
I think the important thing is that corpse rot is a really annoying spell to use effectively due to the way that corpses are unmoveable and howtile sight of items works

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it could scale up depending of how many corpses are in line of sight. If your standing on a pile of fallen enemies it explodes them into fireballs. I guess Trog would need to protect you from fire or something during g the conflagration....

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trog sets enemies on fire w a sticky flame-like effect whenever they cast spells

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

How about Trog lets you sacrifice a spell out of your library to place a flame cloud one tile from you?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
trog should not get a large buff that means the player gets way more flame clouds uses and requires less turns to place them

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Why not just make it so books don't get added to your library until you read them in your inventory, at which point you presumably eat them? I mean, yeah, it's one more click/two more keystrokes for people who actually cast spells, but if it's that important that Trog keep his flavor power that seems like the simplest solution.

e: which is something that was suggested like 5 posts ago, reading is hard

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I am of the opinion it's worth sacrificing book burning on the altar of a more convenient user interface for most characters. I rarely if ever used book burning strategically. It's a fun piece of flavor but it's not the hill I would die on, and you're actually getting something in exchange for the sacrifice.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Eela6 posted:

I am of the opinion it's worth sacrificing book burning on the altar of a more convenient user interface for most characters. I rarely if ever used book burning strategically. It's a fun piece of flavor but it's not the hill I would die on, and you're actually getting something in exchange for the sacrifice.

I don't really get this either. The game is actually better than ever, but since the devs are Bad every new change must be Bad as well.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is Panedomium generally considered to be easier than Hell? My last tragic run I did all of Hell easily then died immediately in Pan, but the wiki says you should do Pan before Hell?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

icantfindaname posted:

Is Panedomium generally considered to be easier than Hell? My last tragic run I did all of Hell easily then died immediately in Pan, but the wiki says you should do Pan before Hell?

Generally, but Pan has vaults that rival or exceed Hells in difficulty, such as Hellion Island and Discotech.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can also run into generation schemes that just throw way too many pit fiends or whatever at you. It's certainly possible to splat in vanilla pan levels.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
i always do pan first but that's because hell takes a mental toll on you too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I never more than 3-rune because I'm bad extended doesn't really appeal to me except maybe like Slime and Abyss.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

icantfindaname posted:

It's worth noting that in Pan you have to be prepared for any of the four panlords/rune levels at any time, whereas for Hell you only need to be prepared for one branch. I'm no expert but I'd guess hell becomes more appealing if you are having issues with one or more resists.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

#SpEn_Reasons:
code:
The helpless Sonja fails to defend herself.
You stick Sonja like a pincushion!!!!! Lightning courses through Sonja!
You kill Sonja!
Edit:
#hexes_reasons:
code:
Nessos appears confused. Nessos falls into the water!
Nessos drowns.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 27, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I tend to find Hell easier than Pan if only because you can usually spec yourself to deal with the dangers of a given branch before diving in

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know how ranged reform comes up now and again but it never seems to take? i've got a suggestion, though it's really, really gamey. the basic gist of it is that at ammo is dropped in bundles. bundles give the player the ability to fire a single ranged attack per bundle in a fight and are never consumed. bundles aren't exactly super common on the floor, although at least one of each kind must drop on the first 1-3 floors and you gain twice the benefits from the first bundle you pick up. ranged attacks are refreshed after the player has been at baseline tension for a given period of time.

the math on drops is set up to give characters that don't worship ammo-gifting gods enough attacks per combat for ranged skills to be useful but not enough to build a character around, unless you acquirement ammo. also guarantee an acquirement scroll somewhere between d1-6 imo)

this will, of course, effectively reduce the amount of ranged weapon use possible per game, however this is honestly needed at the moment because ammo gifting is virtually irrelevant in the face of the current number of ammo drops in the game, like seriously

(ok admittedly throwing benefits significantly from ammo gifts at the moment but i think that's more to do with large variance in throwable ammo effectiveness i.e. javelins and large rocks can be hard to find)

furthermore,

-----

Breskole the Swift

Breskole is a god of the hunt, worshipped by those who wish to provide, to murder, or to exterminate. Worshippers are gifted with light feet under a practical load, plentiful resources, and the temporary capacity to move with immense speed. Breskole is pleased by the search for ever greater prey.

-----

Followers of Breskole are granted greater prowess in light armours [read: non-heavy armours behave as though they have 0 ER] and plentiful tools for the hunt [ammo bundle and consumables gifting]. Later, they may evade the senses of complacent prey while in light armours [character gains a buff to stealth proportional to each monster in sight] and eventually they may temporarily be endowed with Breskole's own swiftness.

Breskole likes it when you explore and when you take glorious trophies. [read: kill extremely dangerous monsters]

e: this is gonna be at the very bottom of the page lmao

ee: unrelated to all of this, i've noticed myself missing a bunch of timed vaults recently and i think im not getting that black-screen force more message anymore. whats up with that

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's worth noting that in Pan you have to be prepared for any of the four panlords/rune levels at any time, whereas for Hell you only need to be prepared for one branch. I'm no expert but I'd guess hell becomes more appealing if you are having issues with one or more resists.

Another big problem with Pan is that your spawn point is completely random AFAIK, so you can drop into an ambush with Cerebov and 3 brimstone fiends if you're unlucky. Sure, you get to rest in Pan once you find a safe spot thanks to no Hell effects, but that doesn't mean much if you're crashing a party at Hellion island.

Hell effects aside, all Hell levels at least have some structure to them in terms of where you enter and exit (specially the last floor), so the worst that can happen is that you'll walk into a "scripted" ambush like some of Gehenna's branch endings which are easier to survive than a bad spawn point in Pan.

• Locked thread