Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

AggressivelyStupid posted:

block and check your six all the time hope this helps

At this rate, I would settle for blocking not slowing you down and full 360 block area. I literally want to block at all times. Having to use my psychic powers constantly to play this game correctly is very draining on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

more hours spent handgunning than I can even remember in 1 means that I just can't learn to deal with its worse accuracy and slower/weirder crosshair narrowing when aiming, it's like this mirror darkly version of a thing that I should be intimately familiar with but instead I miss every shot with it because of that familiarity

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Digirat posted:

more hours spent handgunning than I can even remember in 1 means that I just can't learn to deal with its worse accuracy and slower/weirder crosshair narrowing when aiming, it's like this mirror darkly version of a thing that I should be intimately familiar with but instead I miss every shot with it because of that familiarity

I think you cursed me because I had an awful night with the rifle and missed tons of easy shots. :argh:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

you'll be fine with 2h hammer and a grudgeraker

the drakefires loving suck, dont use them

The drakefire pistols are only good when the regenerating-ammo elf and free-ammo BH suck up every single ammo pack in american history yet in the clutch it STILL somehow falls to the ironbreaker to step up for expeditous elite and special assassination at a distance.

In summary, the drakefire pistols are the best weapon in the game 110% of the time.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 27, 2018

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

get scrounger(or whatever the crit gives you ammo trait is) on your grudgeraker, buttstroke a horde for all your ammo back

its really not hard

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

get scrounger(or whatever the crit gives you ammo trait is) on your grudgeraker, buttstroke a horde for all your ammo back

...i loving love this game

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ive very seriously gone from 0-100% ammo on a single crit buttstroke several times, and the buttstroke staggers pretty much everything that isnt an overheading stormvermin/berserking berserker/chaos warrior

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Digirat posted:

thanks to everything's gutted ammo counts, no non-heat ranged weapon is for horde clearing in its default state

The blunderbuss is for picking anything nearby that isn't a boss, chaos warrior or packmaster, and making it vanish with zero time spent aiming and a very fast reload

My power level is still under 400 and I've one shotted every enemy in the game on champion with it sans the above, which is really drat useful for a weapon that needs 0 setup time. that stormvermin is annoying and all I have is a 1h sword, so bye bye blackrat

Hmm, I may have been basing this off when I was literally level 1 Kruber and it felt like poo poo. I will give it another go.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What is the trick to not being totally useless as a Slayer? Getting killed by a regular rat mid-leap is reeaaaal lovely.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the trick is to switch to ironbreaker and swaddle yourself in the gromril safety blanket

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the trick is to switch to ironbreaker and swaddle yourself in the gromril safety blanket

I guess the secret to surviving the end times is to wear a shirt

BTW why can't I salvage all my loot? I have like four lovely necklaces it won't let me throw in the trash.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW why can't I salvage all my loot? I have like four lovely necklaces it won't let me throw in the trash.

someone's wearing it, check your classes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coolguye posted:

someone's wearing it, check your classes.

I've only played as the dwarf but maybe it's holding on to it for the ranger, I'll check.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Pyromancers are the new elves. Since I started playing more ironbreaker and less fire grandma every pubbie pyromancer that joins has to turbo off in front of everyone and get all the kills while everyone else is left trying to simultaneously kill all the poo poo thats chasing the pyromancer and prevent the pyromancer from getting hooked/pounced which usually doesn't happen. I like the stat screen at the end but it would 100% be better if they just got rid of the green circles around the 'highest scores' just so the shitlords aren't rewarded for the bad play.

Also, drakegunning idiot krubers who just SER KRUBER into your flamethrower deserve every bit of friendly fire they get.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I feel like Drakegun has a slight conceptual problem if you have Axe and Shield. That is, you're bringing Axe and Shield so you can handle hordes. Drakegun also handles hordes. It's a redundancy, not a pairing, because it's not really plausible to knock everything on its rear end with Shield and then flame it dead on account of the peculiarities of Drakegun function. I feel you should pair Axe and Shield with Grudge or Handgun, or pair Drakegun with 2h Axe maybe?

Digirat posted:

it really doesn't do much damage to them, and it doesn't to packmasters either. The thing is, I recall it being great against both in the closed test, so my suspicion is that the "resistant" health type was added back into the game for the same purpose as before, to dick over the shotguns for no particular reason

They do have that health class. There are six health classes now. It's not clear yet what they mean to various damage types but the "monster" health class is found on all bosses and also Packmasters.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

I feel like Drakegun has a slight conceptual problem if you have Axe and Shield. That is, you're bringing Axe and Shield so you can handle hordes. Drakegun also handles hordes. It's a redundancy, not a pairing, because it's not really plausible to knock everything on its rear end with Shield and then flame it dead on account of the peculiarities of Drakegun function. I feel you should pair Axe and Shield with Grudge or Handgun, or pair Drakegun with 2h Axe maybe?

They do have that health class. There are six health classes now. It's not clear yet what they mean to various damage types but the "monster" health class is found on all bosses and also Packmasters.

I think the axe and shield is better for dealing with armored opponents because of more overhand headshots, the hammer and shield is more suited for horde because the strikes are more horizontal. In either case, just flame until it gets too hot then hit rats until the drakegun cool off. With temporary health from kills, you can use the cooldown and have it hit your temp health and burninate longer.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So for those who play Slayer what weapons work best on him? The two handed axe, two handed hammer, or dual axe. I love dual axing but I don’t want to gimp myself damage wise and it’s real hard to compare them to other weapons because of the speed difference between them and the two handeda

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

comatose posted:

Pyromancers are the new elves. Since I started playing more ironbreaker and less fire grandma every pubbie pyromancer that joins has to turbo off in front of everyone and get all the kills while everyone else is left trying to simultaneously kill all the poo poo thats chasing the pyromancer and prevent the pyromancer from getting hooked/pounced which usually doesn't happen. I like the stat screen at the end but it would 100% be better if they just got rid of the green circles around the 'highest scores' just so the shitlords aren't rewarded for the bad play.

This is a core design issue with Sienna.

Her melee is.. not great. She can't really handle herself when the danger is highest. She requires her staff to keep herself out of trouble. If she's in trouble enough that she can't use her staff, her melee is not strong enough to pry herself out of it. The best use she has for a team is staying on her staff and trusting others to keep enemies from poking her. If she's forced to use her melee because of constantly being poked in the back, she'll only turn out anemic assistance to the team. A sienna only using her melee can only hope to not use up medical supplies and little else as her 'contribution'. The staff itself is not a nimble weapon capable of fast threat response. It's powerful but requires planning. Reacts poorly to unexpected situations. Trying to use it without a plan will get you hit out of every animation every single time.

Then there's the team damage. Which can be significant depending on which staff it is. Very easy to deal team damage depending on the staff. Meaning the team has to play positionaly around the Sienna at all times while also covering her back so she can focus down critical threats safely.

If people cooperate, the team works wonderfully, but once again we run in to the issue only a minority of people enjoy assisting their team so others can have a good time. Every complaint like this has the vague stink of 'but I wanted the green circles..." to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Her dagger is crazy fantastic, actually. And her 1h sword is also a legit weapon. She's better in melee than people think.

This may just be because I play Unchained almost exclusively when playing her.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Night10194 posted:

Her dagger is crazy fantastic, actually. And her 1h sword is also a legit weapon. She's better in melee than people think.

This may just be because I play Unchained almost exclusively when playing her.

Nah I think her melee is solid too it's just on the higher difficulties I like to be in the backline or mid more. But that kinda falls back into what fuuka is saying about ppl not willing to support the team as whole. Little things like helping thin the horde from a side that your teammates aren't looking at/covering...pubbies just don't get even simple poo poo like that.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
The dagger and longsword only rank 'okay' tier. Unchained also lets her take significant risks to try boosting her lacking melee output. A similarly competent person, however, will perform much better on a true melee character instead. There is a vast gulf between what a sienna can do in melee configuration versus what a kruber can do on any career and a halberd. As a single example.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

An idea I had for her beam staff to bring it in line with the others is to make her beam point explosion dependent on how much beam damage she’s inflicted on an enemy. Kind of like a microwave gun. The longer she’s beamed an enemy the more damage the explosion does. Still makes it decent on bosses but she can’t just delete every elite and special from the game with a split second two mouse click. That way the bolt staff gets back it’s niche of fast single target sniper damage and makes the beam staffs shotgun blast to clear up close hordes its main power while not completely gimping her in boss fights and against big elites that can take a decent beam dose

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fuuka Ayase posted:

The dagger and longsword only rank 'okay' tier. Unchained also lets her take significant risks to try boosting her lacking melee output. A similarly competent person, however, will perform much better on a true melee character instead. There is a vast gulf between what a sienna can do in melee configuration versus what a kruber can do on any career and a halberd. As a single example.

The thing is, I find that keeping myself in the red zone of melee competence forces me to play her ranged better than I would if I was any other class, if that makes sense. Wanting those sweet melee boosts makes me much more willing to push it with magic and makes me actually use my ranged in tandem with my melee. It's a psychology thing but it works out.

E: Like, I rely way, wayyyy too much on melee in general, as everyone.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 27, 2018

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I like beam snipe but even I think it feels a little silly. I wouldn't mind losing it for say, more beam damage and a ratchet up over time.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Might as well ask here.

I can't swap to one of Sienna's career's without crashing to desktop instantly. I found out only because I wanted to modify an item and needed to remove it from all versions of her. Not that anyone uses her base career, but I'd like to fix the issue.. somehow.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Yeah, but the Halberd is a contender for Best Melee Weapon in the entire game, not exactly a fair comparison. Sienna's weapons are good at everything except being surrounded because none have a lot of Stamina, and you can only add so much. The dagger is good, the sword is good, and firesword has an awesome AoE charge attack on the first swing plus decent normal animations. She's not going to do what a double dagger Elf or halberd Kruber can manage, but she doesn't need to either, unless she's the last one up, and at that point you're probably in a really bad spot with any class.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

block and check your six all the time hope this helps

Every now and then the game doesn't even pretend; it's thankfully rare, but a couple of times I've been running along five feet or so behind our witch hunter and seen a pair of clan rats materialize in behind him. Not climbing out of a hole or anything, just, pop into existence right in front of me.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The Gate posted:

Yeah, but the Halberd is a contender for Best Melee Weapon in the entire game, not exactly a fair comparison. Sienna's weapons are good at everything except being surrounded because none have a lot of Stamina, and you can only add so much. The dagger is good, the sword is good, and firesword has an awesome AoE charge attack on the first swing plus decent normal animations. She's not going to do what a double dagger Elf or halberd Kruber can manage, but she doesn't need to either, unless she's the last one up, and at that point you're probably in a really bad spot with any class.

I mean, I use the longsword on Kruber, and it's the exact same weapon as Sienna's. It's good against soft groups of all sizes, and decent against armor if you get the rhythm of charge, charge, normal to hit with the overhead.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Bolt staff being hitscan would also help a lot with being a sniper weapon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Might as well ask here.

I can't swap to one of Sienna's career's without crashing to desktop instantly. I found out only because I wanted to modify an item and needed to remove it from all versions of her. Not that anyone uses her base career, but I'd like to fix the issue.. somehow.

Run a validate/repair on the game in Steam?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol a chaos zombie just glided at me, legs motionless, while doing the "Well! What is it!" gesture from dark souls

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

My favorite goon game so far:
Champion run into the dark, cart makes it to the altar with all books. Troll comes out we decide to fight it. I'm playing as Salty BH(I think) I chug a strength potion and unload into his back. Troll turns lines up the shot and pukes. I attempt to dodge right only to get hung up on a stalagmite so I'm blinded with a pissed-off troll heading towards me. I dodge left straight into his melee attack which staggers me enough to knock me off the ledge. SIR KRUBER goon dashes over to pull me up only to get hit in his back by the troll and knocked off the ledge also. Fire grandma goon sees us hanging attempts to come over and help only to just kind of fall off the cliff himself.

I honestly can't remember if the guy playing Bardin even finished the map because I was chuckling to myself over how the rest of us really screwed the pooch we were so close.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The weirdest one I've had so far was being the last one through the Skittergate at the beginning of the level, except instead of teleporting me a wall of like fifty rats appeared in the portal and instantly splattered me.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Mysteriously, I can suddenly get in to her. I unequipped her just to be safe.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Honestly the best team comp in the game would be Sienna and 3 guys covered in asbestos armor.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fuuka Ayase posted:

Meaning the team has to play positionaly around the Sienna at all times while also covering her back so she can focus down critical threats safely.

If people cooperate, the team works wonderfully, but once again we run in to the issue only a minority of people enjoy assisting their team so others can have a good time. Every complaint like this has the vague stink of 'but I wanted the green circles..." to it.

You really shot down the last part with how you described the rest.

Again it's nothing to do with "I wanted most damage", it's not wanting to just be Sienna and Kerillian's backup, it feels crappy to do so much less than the person instakilling most of the map, green circles only come into the picture to paint how much of a ridiculous gulf there is between Pyromancer/Waystalker and everything else.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Really digging bounty hunter now that it's 15 but I wish he legit had more ranged options beyond volley crossbow.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Rascyc posted:

Really digging bounty hunter now that it's 15 but I wish he legit had more ranged options beyond volley crossbow.

The repeater is also insanely good.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Regular crossbow with the reload talent is also really not bad if you wanna just snipe some specials and elites, and spend more time cutting rat heads off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

lazorexplosion posted:

The repeater is also insanely good.

Came here to post this. It's not as versatile as the volley but it does the needful, taking huge-rear end chunks out of boss health bars. It's literally TICK TICK TICK BOOM in handgun form and it's impossible not to love that.