Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

pmchem posted:

Is this possible to do? Still curious. I am new.

Change to the authoritarian advisor and you won't even want to anymore

sorry I don't know how to turn it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Is the Enigmatic Fortress event just supposed to chill there for a hundred years?

I mean, it is living up to the name.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Quick question: if I simultaneously move two separate 3k fleets into an enemy system, are they equivalent to the enemy's single 6k fleet? Or does the 6k fleet enjoy some sort of bonus from having a unified command?

the only bonus from keeping a fleet together is that one admiral can give his bonus to all of the ships. if both of your fleets have admirals of similar quality, there's effectively no difference at all

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Baronjutter posted:

They introduced a new difficulty system to help make up for the fact that the AI is very bad at tile management and development in general by instead of giving it set bonuses, it gives increasing bonuses as the game goes on to balance the fact that human players are going to have a widening power gap as the game goes on. Instead they typed some numbers in wrong and the game would start out on super max difficulty and the AI would get fewer bonuses ramping down to nothing as the game went on. This bug was very easy to avoid by not using that difficulty setting.

Gotcha, I remember that setting now but didn't know about the bug.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Change to the authoritarian advisor and you won't even want to anymore

sorry I don't know how to turn it off

egalitarian advisor best advisor

"they are enemies...of democracy" when you declare war never gets old

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I really don't get the complaints here - making large scale changes means that balance will swing. The alternative is to like, do nothing, and leave the game stagnating in the state it was at release - which happened for two years.

This really isn't accurate, they've been consistently working on the game since release. I'd say they sort of sat on initial release for maybe 2-5 months tops (basically bug fixes only) to see how things settled before starting to work on changes. Hell it was only 8 months between release and utopia, which added a major system to the game proper and changed a ton about how the game played.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Slightly irritated about a couple wartime things.

I've eliminated every ship this empire has with the subjugation war goal, and have every one of their systems completely occupied, and we're sitting at 40% war exhaustion vs my 27%. They can't do anything, why isn't it auto victory?

With fallen empires, I can't seem to get a casus belli on them that involves just deleting them. They make treaties after they get humiliated and then they're back to declaring war. It won't let me claim their systems so I can just straight up conquer them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Not sure about the FE claiming stuff, but have you checked your war goals in the war overview screen? You don't have to run someone to 100% war exhaustion to achieve your war goals, or to even ask for a status quo peace. It could also be that they have allies in the war, the system is fairly generous on giving them a chance to save the day (even though the AI isn't going to pull that off).

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, the only war goal was Humiliate. I suppose I could use a Colossus and just wipe them out during wartime.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There should be a button for "Claim War Goals", with either an 'X' (which you can hover over and see how close you are) or a checkmark, meaning you can end the war since you've met your goals. Same with the status quo peace on that page.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The whole reason to build a Colossus is to give you access to that sweet total war CB. Actually blowing up planets and stuff is just a little bonus on the side.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Being egalitarian, I did discover that option from Colossus. I met an empire early on who was the complete opposite from me and immediately they wanted to start poo poo. However, over the course of the game they went from militarist xenophobes to pacifist spiritualists. They don't like my materialist trait but those old rivalries never went away, despite me trying to extend an olive branch.

I do like the diplomacy (especially getting systems via trade) and it's like a billion times a step up from the poo poo I have to deal with in Total War, but boy some of these AI need to pull the stick from their asses when they get radical changes in government. Luckily the Colossus poo poo gives me an excuse to subjugate them if I can't tolerate their nonsense any more (and get to those Situation Log markers that have been there since like 25 years into my current game).

Edit: I also found the real "Sol". I named my planet Earth and system Sol, but the make up of this system is similar to the real one. Except the third rock from the sun is a Tomb world populated by giant cockroaches called "Cockroaches". I think the developers are trying to say something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jimbot posted:

Being egalitarian, I did discover that option from Colossus. I met an empire early on who was the complete opposite from me and immediately they wanted to start poo poo. However, over the course of the game they went from militarist xenophobes to pacifist spiritualists. They don't like my materialist trait but those old rivalries never went away, despite me trying to extend an olive branch.

I do like the diplomacy (especially getting systems via trade) and it's like a billion times a step up from the poo poo I have to deal with in Total War, but boy some of these AI need to pull the stick from their asses when they get radical changes in government. Luckily the Colossus poo poo gives me an excuse to subjugate them if I can't tolerate their nonsense any more (and get to those Situation Log markers that have been there since like 25 years into my current game).

Edit: I also found the real "Sol". I named my planet Earth and system Sol, but the make up of this system is similar to the real one. Except the third rock from the sun is a Tomb world populated by giant cockroaches called "Cockroaches". I think the developers are trying to say something.

The state of Sol is randomized in each playthrough. You might find it as an irradiated tomb world, you might find it in an essentially modern day state, you might even find it in the midsts of World War 2 and intervene. It's a surprise every time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

This really isn't accurate, they've been consistently working on the game since release. I'd say they sort of sat on initial release for maybe 2-5 months tops (basically bug fixes only) to see how things settled before starting to work on changes. Hell it was only 8 months between release and utopia, which added a major system to the game proper and changed a ton about how the game played.
You were replying to Ham Sandwiches, of course what he said was inaccurate. I think they've done a good job since the beginning of trying to iterate on the game, but Wiz was handed a huge pile of poo poo and asked to turn it into something nice and that takes time.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You were replying to Ham Sandwiches, of course what he said was inaccurate. I think they've done a good job since the beginning of trying to iterate on the game, but Wiz was handed a huge pile of poo poo and asked to turn it into something nice and that takes time.

if the payback for calling this dude's dumb ideas out is having to deal with the passive aggressive sniping afterward then it's a price I'm willing to pay

Utopia introduced some changes, sure, but I felt they were pretty minor in terms of altering the fundamental gameplay. Fixing movement mechanics, changes to fleet size, nerfs to travel time, selecting hyperlanes as the default movement type, introducing forts and starbases, those are substantive changes.

Adding habitats on top of a largely broken game was a change, but it didn't feel very substantive from a gameplay standpoint. With 2.0 the changes add up to meaningful fixing stuff that wasn't working for the past 2 years.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ZypherIM posted:

First off you'll want the utopia expansion, it adds a really good system (unity)

Unity is in vanilla, I imagine it was a free change.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
They added Ascension perks to everyone. Some require Utopia, some need Synthetic Dawn, and some need Apocalypse.

As before, if you didn't have Utopia but owned Synthetic Dawn, you wouldn't be able to use the ascension perks at all even the ones that came with that DLC. Megastructures, Genemodding, Synthetic Evolution, and Psionics are Utopia. Making robots better is Synthetic Dawn. Colossus, raiding bombardment, Enigmatic Engineering are Apocalypse. Everything else is base game.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I just had the great khan die and somehow the khanate stayed together. It was extremely nice to see that something different could happen with them, but the empire the khan left behind was led by another belligerent dick head who kept right on declaring war to conquer the galaxy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ham Sandwiches posted:

if the payback for calling this dude's dumb ideas out is having to deal with the passive aggressive sniping afterward then it's a price I'm willing to pay
I'm pretty sure that I was being direct with my insult of your of your intelligence :confused:

On the whole you're not completely wrong about most of that but you really need to try to put more thought into your posts.

Mayor Dave posted:

I just had the great khan die and somehow the khanate stayed together. It was extremely nice to see that something different could happen with them, but the empire the khan left behind was led by another belligerent dick head who kept right on declaring war to conquer the galaxy.
This had happened to me and it's pretty neat and also really scary. Thankfully the new Khan want totally insane though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 29, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Unity is in vanilla, I imagine it was a free change.

My bad, I grabbed utopia when it came out so all I know is not everything from it was available for base. Maybe the 3 path options? It was something fairly big.

To ham sandwiches, if adding unity and traditions and ascension perks are "pretty minor" I'm not sure how to approach a discussion of changes made to the game with you. What you consider an impactful change appears to be really arbitrary, and if it isn't impactful enough then they were doing nothing? I'm just going to bow out of this because I've got the feeling there is no way to actually progress the discussion.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So uh.

This is a thing. :stonk:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ZypherIM posted:

My bad, I grabbed utopia when it came out so all I know is not everything from it was available for base. Maybe the 3 path options? It was something fairly big.

To ham sandwiches, if adding unity and traditions and ascension perks are "pretty minor" I'm not sure how to approach a discussion of changes made to the game with you. What you consider an impactful change appears to be really arbitrary, and if it isn't impactful enough then they were doing nothing? I'm just going to bow out of this because I've got the feeling there is no way to actually progress the discussion.

I can vaguely see the issue. I think it even came up earlier in this thread, or probably in the previous one.

About half the Ascensions are something of major import: Psi and Super-Genetics and Machine Words and Ringworlds and Colossus and COOL THINGS. Even Habitats. They might not all be truly 'useful', but they change things, or open up really big things. Others are minor modifiers like 10% research. Of course, not all of them can be winners, especially given some are gated behind having a certain amount of other Ascensions first, quite apart from any other gates like tech requirements.

Traditions are in a similar boat. There's a lot of traditions that don't feel 'special'. Not that they're bad, as such. I mean, you take Fleeting, and you can wipe out that disadvantage via either tech or Mind and Body or both. Or take Enduring and live even longer.

As compared to the game without them, they're both major and minor, at the same time. It's odd. I suppose one can say 'they've integrated into the game so far and so much that you can't think of going without them'. They've become part of your planning. I imagine a person could very much run a game like they were Stellaris 1.0 and not use Ascensions at all. I wonder how fun it might be, though. And of course you can't not use Civics since you have to spend those points regardless.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 29, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh and corvette fleets are fun.

Cheap too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm sort of vaguely wondering at the minute 'are Med Slots worth much anymore?'.

Large Slots vs Large Targets only. And they're good at that.

Small Slots vs small targets only. And they're good enough at that. But the stats of Med slots seems like they don't have enough punch for large, and can't hit small targets, which means they seem to not have any purpose. They're not 'the average option' but the 'worse of all worlds'.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jazerus posted:

egalitarian advisor best advisor

"they are enemies...of democracy" when you declare war never gets old

I love the xenophile advisor myself.

"They're fighting. Stop fighting!"

"They can talk! And they want to talk to us!"

Just so excited about new life everywhere.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Are those advisor lines in an expansion or something? Aside from the tenor of its very first interaction with you I just get generic lines from my advisors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, question, what's better, torpedoes or missiles?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

McSpanky posted:

Are those advisor lines in an expansion or something? Aside from the tenor of its very first interaction with you I just get generic lines from my advisors.

The tutorial voice is always VIR IIRC, the voice that announces stuff like wars being declared or research finishing is what changes.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want corvette fleets to be the be-all-end-all that sounds boring as poo poo.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

McSpanky posted:

They were added with Synthetic Dawn.
It wasn't just robots. Have to add some features everyone can use.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I can't wait until they add an event that unleashes some mnemonic horror when you go around cracking planets at random.

Yessss this would be awesome. Crack a planet and oh poo poo its all Dead Space up in here. :derp:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Black Pants posted:

I don't want corvette fleets to be the be-all-end-all that sounds boring as poo poo.

Yeah, I want some fairly natural feeling reason to have fairly balanced fleets, leaning one way or another based on your strategy. I want corvette fleets to be fast, nimble, but expendable. You're going to be assumed to be taking losses but they're cheap so keep tossing them. I want battleship-heavy fleets to be designed for staying power, I want them to be more expensive point for point vs corvettes but survive battles.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

iospace posted:

So uh.

This is a thing. :stonk:

The worm loves you.

Also, you are super lucky to get that on your first play through.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tomn posted:

I love the xenophile advisor myself.

"They're fighting. Stop fighting!"

"They can talk! And they want to talk to us!"

Just so excited about new life everywhere.

"We took some animals, and made them people! :neckbeard:"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Bloodly posted:

I'm sort of vaguely wondering at the minute 'are Med Slots worth much anymore?'.

Large Slots vs Large Targets only. And they're good at that.

Small Slots vs small targets only. And they're good enough at that. But the stats of Med slots seems like they don't have enough punch for large, and can't hit small targets, which means they seem to not have any purpose. They're not 'the average option' but the 'worse of all worlds'.

I'm not as down on medium slots as most people here myself. With the proper choice of weapon you can perform acceptably against any size of target, while small slots lack the fire power to work well against stations/battleships, and large weapons lack the accuracy to really work against small targets.

Running an advanced picket computer gets you +20 tracking, and sensors can get up to +15. Aux fire control gives 5 accuracy each (cruiser+ gets 2 slots). If you want you can get another +10 from one of the titan auras, but I'll ignore that for now. We'll use a cruiser base.

Medium disruptor is 100 acc, 35 tracking, add in 35 tracking for components and 10 acc, so against a 90% evasion corvette you'd have (110-(90-70))=90% accuracy. Medium lasers would have 75% accuracy, plasma 55%, kinetics 60%. By the by, missiles would be 80% and swarmers 85%.

Small mounts improve most of these numbers by 20%, but if you're running corvettes with small mounts you're probably not using a picket computer which makes up that difference right there, nor aux fire controls. Small mounts+missiles is pretty good with this cruiser setup, but disruptors/lasers aren't shabby at all.

If you keep up with the beta patch, torpedoes lost 50% of their damage to armor and auto-cannons lost some of their damage to shields, which directly nerfs torpedo corvette fleets hard. Also a buff to point defense was added.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm the polar opposite, give me that militarist advisor any day

"The cravens have destroyed one of our mining stations!"

Me: ERASE THEM

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There totally needs to be a Lavos-type leviathan that can reproduce by burrowing into planets and destroying them like a planet cracker as its spawn head to new planets to grow and continue the cycle.

Or maybe an ancient shroud entity can be unsealed if you crack the wrong planet.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

My spaceport has some dummy items in its construction queue in the fleet manager. Is there any way to get rid of those? Clicking on them does nothing, and they're preventing me from reinforcing my fleets.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

McSpanky posted:

Utopia adds advisor voices for each of the ethoses. Synthetic Dawn has one for robots, and the Humanoids pack has three ones themed around the sample civs it's packaged with.

The Plantoid pack predates advisor voices, and it's probably too late to uh...Take the opportunity to get some new (some might even say green) talent to give an unbeleafable performance? You'd think space plant people would be easier to make jokes about late at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DoubleNegative posted:

My spaceport has some dummy items in its construction queue in the fleet manager. Is there any way to get rid of those? Clicking on them does nothing, and they're preventing me from reinforcing my fleets.

Yeah, this started for me earlier today.

I'm using a shitload of mods though, and just put it down to one of the mods stuffing up.

On a vaguely related concern, I'm on the beta branch and started a new game and noticed something extremely odd.

I rolled a Fanatic Purifier for the first time, intent on stomping my way around the galaxy, or vassalizing everyone I could get my hands on and... found no one. In a galaxy with 15-21 players.

It took me literally 100 in game years to start finding people, and the reason I had found no one was that none of them had left their starting system. They'd a fully developed homeworld, and star system, and starbase, they'd been teching, they just ... all decided to go for a one system challenge?

so because i knew the game was a wipe at that point, I decided to have a gently caress about, I snaked my way to the closest one, set a vassalize CB, and stomped all over him. He then immediately laid claim to a bunch of my systems (which I gave to him) and he then dutifully spread out and started colonizing them... except his science ships stayed where they were and they just did nothing after that.

So I quit the game and here I am, that's my life story, I hope you liked my TED talk.