Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm gonna preface this by saying that I think my manager is an okay guy. We get along, he's never given me a hard time about taking sick or vacation time and he doesn't breathe down my neck about projects. He was the guy who noticed me in the call center, saw me get promoted to case manager, then sniped me for an IT vacancy since I am fairly technically competent and know the ways our users interact with our systems.

However, his style of management is really starting to eat at me. We have sporadic meetings with our small Network Tech team where he says he can't "babysit" us, but what he means is that he doesn't want to assign tasks. Like, he wants -someone- to learn CSS to make a user-facing webpage where they can submit helpdesk tickets (because emailing helpdesk @comp.any isn't good enough) but he certainly wouldn't be able to provide any assistance, he doesn't seem confident in his knowledge of our skillsets to make it an actual project, and he doesn't want to bring it up with the rest of the department so our coding/programming team can take a crack at it. I get that learning CSS is a good skill, but I'm not going to take it on as part of my job description when there's no raise or other incentive to counter the inevitable updates, troubleshooting, and "oh you're good with websites, can you make this?" tasks. So he brings it up in meetings and says "I really need someone to spearhead this" before waiting a few seconds and moving on. He's done this with a few things, and I've mentioned to him that when he puts a plate of work on the floor between his team, it only punishes the person who breaks and accepts the work first. He spun it as a chance to make myself stand out and gain skills I can take to another position. I don't think he realizes that his tactics are pushing me to find that new position a little faster than he might hope.

Take our helpdesk ticket system. It's trivial to see who is closing tickets for each day, so it's also easy to see that one person is doing the work of the other two. Sure, the tickets don't include things like pushing out software updates, but any decent manager should be able to see that the workload isn't being spread out. So, since he doesn't want to "babysit" and relies on us to grab tickets out of the pool, I can either grab them as they come it and knock them out, or I can wait and see how long it takes a coworker to notice that there's work to be done while some user sits locked out of their computer.

The short of it is that I took this job to learn a new skill, but on top of my team being short on soft skills or the ability to be halfway decent teachers, the main thing I'm learning is that the winning strategy is to ignore work until someone else handles it or I am specifically assigned it.

Now to browse the forums for 7 more hours with the occasional break to tell someone to restart their computer.

e: I just heard that my manager almost electrocuted a coworker yesterday because they were working on a ticker system and he didn't think to unplug it. Poor worker had his bare fingers an inch away from some suddenly arcing wires and got, uh, super pissed.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Some guys think this is charming. Oh ho ho, aren't I one of the guys! Nut tap!

I really wish that I had said something, but honestly I was just so shocked I didn't respond. I see him all the time in the hall, and I wonder if he recognizes me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I really wish that I had said something, but honestly I was just so shocked I didn't respond. I see him all the time in the hall, and I wonder if he recognizes me.

That's how it is with me most of the time with Angry Boss. He's so stunningly unprofessional it leaves me speechless.

We've got a couple new employees working in the warehouse, one is a skinny little guy probably 19 or 20. Angry doesn't know their names and asked me where the new guy was right now. I said, which one, and Angry said, 'you know, that loving human being', and I frowned at him until he came up with, 'the younger one' and I told him where he was and Angry wandered off

I don't even think he's gay

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's more than unprofessional, that's textbook harassment.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

man who browses SA with avs on

avs off and it looks practically professional at work. And with threads like these, it technically counts as research :v:

More than once I've used something I saw in SH/SC to save the day.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Nazattack posted:

More than once I've used something I saw in SH/SC to save the day.

:same:

Best :10bux: I have ever spent.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Approval came in to buy a whole network stack + PCs for a new facility. I put the order in with my vendor.

My boss asked if it will be ready for an April 14th turnup.

I had a hard time containing my laughter as I told her we might not even see the equipment before April 14th. Lead times are a total mystery to them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

tactlessbastard posted:

That's how it is with me most of the time with Angry Boss. He's so stunningly unprofessional it leaves me speechless.

We've got a couple new employees working in the warehouse, one is a skinny little guy probably 19 or 20. Angry doesn't know their names and asked me where the new guy was right now. I said, which one, and Angry said, 'you know, that loving human being', and I frowned at him until he came up with, 'the younger one' and I told him where he was and Angry wandered off

I don't even think he's gay

I'm pretty sure at that point i'd just say "excuse me" and wait for him to try and tell me its justifiable.

gently caress that guy, report that poo poo to HR.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

I'm pretty sure at that point i'd just say "excuse me" and wait for him to try and tell me its justifiable.

gently caress that guy, report that poo poo to HR.

File not found

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Always the way. If you need HR, the company doesn't have it. If you don't need HR they're making your life miserable because HR gotta HR.

I don't mean that in a lovely way, that honestly is my experience with HR. There has to be a name for this phenomenon

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dogstile posted:

Always the way. If you need HR, the company doesn't have it. If you don't need HR they're making your life miserable because HR gotta HR.

I don't mean that in a lovely way, that honestly is my experience with HR. There has to be a name for this phenomenon

Uh oh, sounds like SOMEONE has a case of the MUNDAYS.

The name for the phenomenon is simply HR. Because that's what HR is.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I’m best friends with the director of HR because then I’m protected when my Machiavellian scheming blows up in my face

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Well I’m apparently cursed. My position is being offshored to India to save a buck and I have to train the guy. Monday I interviewed for an internal position that was right up my alley. Yesterday I got a call from the manager that they were expediting the rec for me so I could transfer ASAP. Today in a conference call I find out the manager was terminated a couple hours after telling me that and the replacement is out of office so no one knows whether the position is going to be filled now.

Oh and the replacement position is an hour drive away because I have to go in to the office after working from home for close to 5 years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a shame that you're so terrible at training your replacement

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a shame that you're so terrible at training your replacement

yeah if only there were more motivation to give them ALL of the information. Or at least SOME of the information. It's a bummer you ended up giving them nothing because you didn't have a stake in the company.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

yeah if only there were more motivation to give them ALL of the information. Or at least SOME of the information. It's a bummer you ended up giving them nothing because you didn't have a stake in the company.

Dude doesn’t even bother dialing in to the meetings. I’m trying to :yotj: and have been interviewing lots of other places. Had a meet the team interview and tour of the facilities with introductions after another interview for two places last week. Have a phone interview with a company literally across the street from my house tomorrow morning and an in person interview in the afternoon at another place.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Dude doesn’t even bother dialing in to the meetings. I’m trying to :yotj: and have been interviewing lots of other places. Had a meet the team interview and tour of the facilities with introductions after another interview for two places last week. Have a phone interview with a company literally across the street from my house tomorrow morning and an in person interview in the afternoon at another place.

What do you feel is the weakest aspect of your resume / interview that would keep you from getting one of those jobs?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What do you feel is the weakest aspect of your resume / interview that would keep you from getting one of those jobs?

Just out of practice interviewing. I haven’t had to interview in over a decade. My resume was kind of bad when I first started out but I had it reviewed and rewritten. Actually get call backs and interviews now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If you sent a client a spreadsheet to fill out for network information necessary to proceed on their work, would you expect them to send it back or complain that it's not working for them? Just a hypothetical of course.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd expect them to ignore it and then ask if they were meant to do something with it when you let them know the project has been delayed after you've been letting them know for ages that the project will slip until they can provide the information.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

If you sent a client a spreadsheet to fill out for network information necessary to proceed on their work, would you expect them to send it back or complain that it's not working for them? Just a hypothetical of course.

I would expect them to deny all knowledge of any spreadsheet

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bigass Moth posted:

You don't offshore work because you are expecting quality and the offshore folks aren't even pretending anymore.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

You don't offshore work because you are expecting quality and the offshore folks aren't even pretending anymore.

Had a client go apeshit at me yesterday after logging a fault with our offshore desk. They were refusing to help her, whole office cant work.
It had been 6 minutes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a client play the "affecting productivity" game when they would have frequent network issues because rats had eaten through their structured cabling. No they didn't want to pay anybody to lift the floor and fix the problem, even though they were really sure they could put a figure on the value of the time they were losing and it was more than they'd been quoted to recable the office.

Edit: That is quite the avatar

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 29, 2018

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

tactlessbastard posted:

I would expect them to deny all knowledge of any spreadsheet
My dude.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

Edit: That is quite the avatar

Dunno if that's better or worse than the animes that were being handed out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Dunno if that's better or worse than the animes that were being handed out.

Someone removed my anime avatar yesterday, and then the same day someone gave me this one.

I think people are having fun paying for Lowtax’s surgery.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LawfulWaffle posted:

Terrible manager story

I've had these too but you have to bring it up at some point, whether it's in a meeting with the team or one on one. Nothing will change as long as he keeps being an indecisive tool and doesn't do his job as a manager. It's not your job to fix problems with your other teammates it's HIS problem, he literally gets paid to manage and needs a swift kick in the rear end.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanks Ants posted:

loving hell, how much do you poo poo

I have crohns.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I have crohns.

Corns?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Its like the pro level of making GBS threads.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

fist4jesus posted:

Its like the pro level of making GBS threads.

^^^

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So basically work is paying for your deductible while you suffer. Nice.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I usually work remote, so when I have to travel to HQ it's bizarre to watch how people behave. I've observed a phenomenon I shall dub "engineer pose".

When male programmers gather, they stand in a semicircle, and they all carry their laptops. But they can't carry them like normal human beings who are aware that this device costs $3k, they leave them open, precariously balanced on their inner left forearm held horizontally in front of them. Then they put all of their weight on their left leg and kind of tilt that way slightly.

It makes my skin crawl, because holy poo poo I've seen at least 3 people drop their computer that way this week. Just loving close the lid! (do what I do, tweak the settings so it doesn't sleep or lock the screen when it's closed, if laziness about passwords is the problem)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I usually work remote, so when I have to travel to HQ it's bizarre to watch how people behave. I've observed a phenomenon I shall dub "engineer pose".

When male programmers gather, they stand in a semicircle, and they all carry their laptops. But they can't carry them like normal human beings who are aware that this device costs $3k, they leave them open, precariously balanced on their inner left forearm held horizontally in front of them. Then they put all of their weight on their left leg and kind of tilt that way slightly.

It makes my skin crawl, because holy poo poo I've seen at least 3 people drop their computer that way this week. Just loving close the lid! (do what I do, tweak the settings so it doesn't sleep or lock the screen when it's closed, if laziness about passwords is the problem)

I hold mine out by the top of the screen :q:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I carry mine like Kanye

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I wear mine on a big-rear end gold chain around my neck like Weird Al doing an impression of Flava Flav

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have to review applications for my replacement. I'm reading through cover letters, and my god they're all awful.

Brush up on writing a good cover letter if you're looking for a new job. Please don't include poo poo like "I'll save you money!" and "Look no further!" like a goddamn carnival worker.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How else am I going to channel my secret desire to be a barker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have to review applications for my replacement. I'm reading through cover letters, and my god they're all awful.

Brush up on writing a good cover letter if you're looking for a new job. Please don't include poo poo like "I'll save you money!" and "Look no further!" like a goddamn carnival worker.

I think I’ve had one place ask for a cover letter. They also made me take a personality test and told me exactly how to dress for the interview. Place is super bizarre and I’m fairly confidant I don’t actually want to work there.