Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

Nurgle made Plague Zombies for a while during the Everything Must Have loving Zombies In It phase in the 00's. It kinda makes sense fluffwise that eternal undeath would be Nurgle's thing, though it makes less sense when you remeber Vampires and Tomb Kings being a thing, and it definitely makes him the gribbliest of the Big Four.

Wouldn't Nurgle hate the undead, actually? Granted, I only know him from 40K, but I always figured he was sort of about the cycle of death and rebirth. Spreading horrific diseases to kill off the weak but bring new life forth from their destruction.

In that sense, if I'm right, I guess Nurgle represents a perverse kind of Order as much as he does Chaos; change everything constantly so that in the grand scheme of things, nothing changes.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I've only just recently noticed by Handmaiden's dash actually kills trash enemies pretty well.
Are you taking the talent for extra damage or whatever instead of the cooldown reduction for this?

Willie Tomg posted:

It also doesn't interrupt the revive animation.

yes, you read that right.

:ssh:
Wait...what? Can't seem to google a video for this, I assume hold block and revive as per normal and once the progress bar starts you can hit dash while still holding block and revive keys?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dashing while reviving someone seems like a good way for them to eat poo poo a second time while they cannot control their character, which is a straight up death on champ/legend. I can see some niche uses for it (reviving in bile troll acid), but for the most part, if someone went down they are probably being attacked and need you to push things away while they get back up.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Vargs posted:

Dashing while reviving someone seems like a good way for them to eat poo poo a second time while they cannot control their character, which is a straight up death on champ/legend. I can see some niche uses for it (reviving in bile troll acid), but for the most part, if someone went down they are probably being attacked and need you to push things away while they get back up.

yes thats why you don't always dash revive

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Backhand posted:

Wouldn't Nurgle hate the undead, actually? Granted, I only know him from 40K, but I always figured he was sort of about the cycle of death and rebirth. Spreading horrific diseases to kill off the weak but bring new life forth from their destruction.

In that sense, if I'm right, I guess Nurgle represents a perverse kind of Order as much as he does Chaos; change everything constantly so that in the grand scheme of things, nothing changes.

Nurgle does in fact loving hate the undead for halting the cycle of death and rebirth in microbiology.

Those weird little sick dudes in bandages are probably slaves and cultists.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

*stands up into a million billion stormvermin glaives*

*lies back down*

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vargs posted:

You actually get control back while still in third person when you get revived, there is a window where you’re vulnerable but you can get a shove off before you’re even back in first person so it’s less than you think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really not finding anything harder in the beta. The power traits are definitely working, or at least I can confirm Handmaiden's does since if I put it on I instantly do more damage to the dummies.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
BH's level 10 talent for more damage on crits works now too. The damage boost is still small but yesterday it was doing jack poo poo.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

fadam posted:

I'm not a Warhammer lore expert, but I don't think they're zombies. They're just the crappy human marauders that live up North. Only the pimpest guys get the big armor, so a lot of the chaos army is just these frenzied scrawny dudes.

I'm pretty sure in some of the voice over during against the grain they talk about rescuing the farmers before Chaos turns them into slaves. My assumption is they just indoctrinate/starve whoever they capture in battle then use them as cannon fodder, but I could be wrong?

In 40k Chaos Cultists are essentially normal dudes who worship chaos, start rebellions, and generally get murdered by the millions.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I have two questions because I wanted to try the beta during lunch but ended up being sociable for some dumbass reason:

Does the BH active still one-shot chaos champs?

How is Zealot now that his poo poo (presumably) works?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

I have two questions because I wanted to try the beta during lunch but ended up being sociable for some dumbass reason:

Does the BH active still one-shot chaos champs?

How is Zealot now that his poo poo (presumably) works?

Yep.

Haven't played him, but probably still worse than BH.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Plague Zombies are 100% a Nurgle thing in 40k, don't know if it made the crossover to fantasy ever though. Nothing more horrifying for a local populace than a zombie plague killing everyone and plunging your world into chaos, literally and figuratively.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Backhand posted:

I don't know a ton either, but yeah that's essentially it. He's the least "evil" of the Chaos gods and the opposite of someone like Tzeentch. His whole deal is the inevitable death of everything that has life is something that needs to exist in the universe and attempting to prolong that DISPLEASES HIM.

He is also the god of happiness and kinship.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Which god is the most evil? Is Tzeentch that evil? I always figured he was like The Riddler.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Probably Khorne, though he can just as often be honorable warrior dude vs berserk indiscriminate murderer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
all of the chaos gods are 'good' gods in certain respects and mostly 'bad' because they take the things that they stand for to such a ridiculous end that it's only useful to to some primal ur-state rather than ordered existence that humans tend to like.

nurgle: god of life and rebirth, but the things that do the most living and rebirthing are diseases and other microbiota so that's what comes out the most
tzeench: god of change and innovation, but the way you get that in its purest form is multi-layered plots that involve lots of lying, deception, and mask-switching on a constant basis
khorne: god of courage, honor, and retribution, but courage by what definition and honor by what lens? well the definition that shows the most overall courage is to not give a gently caress and kill people in glorious stand up combat all the time, which turns into skulls for the skull throne
slaanesh: god of fertility and amusements. and also rape, because nobody said it had to be consensual fertility or clean amusement.

this is also the whole irony behind their existence in 40k, and the reason the Emperor of Mankind's atheist utopia idea was loving stupid from the start. the chaos gods are not going to just starve away because people stop knowing their names. every time a crop comes out of the ground, nurgle is there. as long as there is technological progress, tzeench will feed. whenever someone halts a rampaging animal or stops a criminal, khorne is worshipped. every drunken weekend and one night stand celebrates slaanesh.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nurgle is basically a god of decay, entropy and inevitable death. Undead are dead things already so he has no interest in them. Nurgle’s thing is that sickness, illness, and death are all inevitable with life so embrace and be joyous about it for it’s a gift and part of being alive. It’s why he always has such a hard on for the elven goddess of life and tries to woo her (which, being Nurgle, means making more and more horrible diseases for her to counter as love letters)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Slaanesh is the fault of Elves. Like a lot of other really bad things.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lunethex posted:

yeah like the eye of terror

the fact that chaos is even able to materialize on the mortal plane is because of the eldar (in wh40k)

theyre assholes just like their whf counterparts

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I think Hero Power -> damage might be less breakpointy in the beta patch?

I found some gear that let me go from 334 to 335 and 341 to 342 on the elf

On the second heavy attack swing headshot with a glaive the difference between both sets were 0,25. 61,75 - 62,00 and 62,5 - 62,75 respectively. Not claiming I understand it completely but I seem to recall needing way larger differences in HP than that to get different numbers on the dummy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lunethex posted:

No he existed before the Elves in this setting they really have no connection to him other then a good chunk of the Dark Elves favoring him as a deity. (And that he likes Elven Souls as food, cause he finds they have higher highs and lower lows in their emotions that makes their souls taste just right.)

In 40k yes he is the Space Elves fault.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I was trying out axe + shield on Ironbreaker last night. It's a little awkward since you can't just shield bash hordes to infinity in this one, but block cancelling the shield bash repeatedly didn't feel too bad. Kruber can just throw a few sword swings in most of the time, but the axe only hitting one target is more problematic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I was trying out axe + shield on Ironbreaker last night. It's a little awkward since you can't just shield bash hordes to infinity in this one, but block cancelling the shield bash repeatedly didn't feel too bad. Kruber can just throw a few sword swings in most of the time, but the axe only hitting one target is more problematic.

Yeah, Kruber can thin out crowds some with his S&S; in contrast, A&S Bardin can gently caress with armoured enemies pretty well in exchange for poor horde-killing on his melee weapon. Hence why the Drakegun is a thing; yeah you need some space to make it work, but that's teamwork for you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Um, what is going on?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

looks like you’re having a backend error, code 1127

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hm I found the patch really interesting so far.

Started with a friend + bots, power level 400+ but char level <20 (16 and 19 I think) Dwarf/Saltpyre and were devastated (some RNG may involved, like Chaos Spawn immediately after starting the first chapter map)
Played two rounds, got hosed before 1/3rd of the map.
Switched chars to 30/26 lvls, didnt get far with bots either, but much further anyways
Switched to quickplay and always got to the boss. Bad luck on the maps though since first was Halescourge and second was the one with the armored rat boss so we lost both too (no Sienna either. Which was a relief, but maybe part of the downfall as well) but were great games either way.

Judging from those few experiences I really like the new patch.

We also didn't get clusterfuck special spawns so apparently that one was fixed as well?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I would argue Slaanesh is the worst god because he/she/it tends to be the most proactive. Khorne hates you and everything about you but his motives are no more complicated than that. Tzeentch.... gently caress only knows, being an inscrutable rear end in a top hat is kind of his thing. Nurgle is like the opposite of Khorne; he wants you dead but has nothing against you personally.

Slaanesh, on the other hand, is the one most likely to be actively sadistic and torture you just because he/she gets off on that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And the northlanders all worship chaos simply due to the corrupting influence of the chaos portal (?), which is also in the north?

I'm having a hard time imagining just what their societies must be like.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually, the chaos gods are good,

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Phlegmish posted:

And the northlanders all worship chaos simply due to the corrupting influence of the chaos portal (?), which is also in the north?

Depending on your source, either exactly as simplistic and bone stupid as you'd expect (most army books), or (from the roleplaying game books and some other army stuff) bizarrely thought out and varied responses to existing near the North Pole, which in this setting is less "Santa's workshop" and more "literally and metaphorically bleeding hole in reality vomiting forth raw potentiality that manifests in impossible landscapes and time loops and crazy magic bullshit." A bunch of tribes, for instance, hate the Dark Gods, but still have to base a large part of their society into bribing them to go away, or at least gently caress somebody else over. The closer a tribe lives to the Wastes, the crazier they tend to get, until you get to the full-throated warpstone-huffing maniacs that wander around raping, murdering, and pillaging anything that catches their attention, including other Norscan tribes. It's why it's such a big deal when somebody manages to corral all the exceptionally crazy warbands under one banner and successfully aims them in a general direction - it doesn't happen very often, and tends to make the Empire and associated human nation-states like Kislev poo poo their pants.

Of course, that's also kind of their big weakness, in that the second there's not an overwhelmingly charismatic leader aiming the plate mail mosh pit, or they get their asses kicked enough to make him look like a chump, they get bored and wander off in little groups and become much easier pickings for random militiamen with guns. The Bounty Hunter's special secret technique of "shoot the motherfucker in the dome" does in fact work wonders on your average Chaos Warrior - the problem is when he's got 20 or 30 guys and you have to reload that flintlock before they come over and stomp you into chili.

Incidentally, while it makes a lot of sense that a warband of Nurgle would be all about working with the Skaven, especially an offshoot of Clan Pestilens (the 'why no, we aren't worshipping Nurgle instead of the Horned Rat, why do you ask' Clan), the warband barks and such in the game itself are much more suited to a bunch of random Khornates, hollering about no mercy, no retreat, maim kill burn, and such. A warband of Nurgle would be trying to get you loving psyched about your impending horrific demise while they try to kill you.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
are we the baddies?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phlegmish posted:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Madcosby posted:

are we the baddies?

I want to say this is a stupid question but we DO have an elf on our side

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Madcosby posted:

are we the baddies?

Hmm, smells like...

*sniff sniff*

Heresy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also GW writers ditched the more nuanced nature of the chaos gods a while ago so they often just come up as typical war/magic/disease/pleasure gods

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Daeren posted:

Incidentally, while it makes a lot of sense that a warband of Nurgle would be all about working with the Skaven, especially an offshoot of Clan Pestilens (the 'why no, we aren't worshipping Nurgle instead of the Horned Rat, why do you ask' Clan), the warband barks and such in the game itself are much more suited to a bunch of random Khornates, hollering about no mercy, no retreat, maim kill burn, and such. A warband of Nurgle would be trying to get you loving psyched about your impending horrific demise while they try to kill you.

The random barks are more Khorne-like but Blightstormers and Halescourge in particular are very Nurgle-- so happy and joyous about the disease they're giving you as a gift.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m not an expert on warhammer and especially not an expert on warhammer fantasy but i’m pretty sure if you point at any faction and say “they’re the good guys!” you’ve hosed up somewhere

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I play elf, I know I'm the baddie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cowcaster posted:

actually, the chaos gods are good,

Spoken like a true heretic.