Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

The director called me into his office this afternoon and simply handed me a pile of papers. Each one was an email he has received from faculty, staff, and guests that compliment me in some way. There were something like 30 of them.

One of them said something along the lines of “if we expect the technology in this place to be held together with glue, we can’t complain every time our fingers get sticky.”

He then went on to tell me how much he appreciates my work and how much better this place is running under my supervision than the previous three tech coordinators. He said he’s been unfairly judging me based on their performance and he’s let his preconceived notions get the better of him. He said I’m doing an outstanding job and apologized for all the times he’s lost his temper. He revealed that his major focus this next year is to secure funding to reopen my assistant position.

Now I get a four day weekend for Easter.

It was a pretty good day I guess.

:wtc:

Like, alright then. I don't know how I feel about him suddenly being an adult about this? Did somebody find his squirrel cash and hold it over him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

The director called me into his office this afternoon and simply handed me a pile of papers. Each one was an email he has received from faculty, staff, and guests that compliment me in some way. There were something like 30 of them.

One of them said something along the lines of “if we expect the technology in this place to be held together with glue, we can’t complain every time our fingers get sticky.”

He then went on to tell me how much he appreciates my work and how much better this place is running under my supervision than the previous three tech coordinators. He said he’s been unfairly judging me based on their performance and he’s let his preconceived notions get the better of him. He said I’m doing an outstanding job and apologized for all the times he’s lost his temper. He revealed that his major focus this next year is to secure funding to reopen my assistant position.

gently caress your director. You don't get a pile of 30 papers saying good job unless your director is getting them and then not giving them to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sickening posted:

gently caress your director. You don't get a pile of 30 papers saying good job unless your director is getting them and then not giving them to you.

He might have solicited opinions from people all at once, thinking he might accrue enough negative opinions to be able to fire larches. Then when they came in positive, he re-evaluated.

Well, it's theoretically possible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Buy a lottery ticket

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

You should see a therapist, I think you've suffered a psychotic break.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

What? How? Why? This looks fishy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Volguus posted:

What? How? Why? This looks fishy.

Sounds like somebody got laid last night.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Fool posted:

You should see a therapist, I think you've suffered a psychotic break.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Sounds like a four day vacation that will actually be forever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Did you look for one of those puppet master parasites on his neck?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

He said I’m doing an outstanding job and apologized for all the times he’s lost his temper. He revealed that his major focus this next year is to secure funding to reopen my assistant position.

That's worth framing, and also buying that person a cup of coffee for sayigng.

I don't believe it, though. Its been a while, but wasn't this the same guy who asked his boss for a raise, got shot down, and then promptly started cutting positions/costs/etc everywhere?

Its nice, but pats on the back aren't a raise. Job satisfaction isn't just about not having a workplace that isn't trying to crush you under the weight of stress.

I think a change of heart like this is usually spurred on by other factors and considerations, and while its certainly nice, I think you're allowed to look the gift horse in the mouth.

At the very least, ask for 2-3 assistants. That way you still have one when his attitude drives one away in the future.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

We deal with this fairly regularly. Someone is coming in to use one of our conference rooms and they have a list of things that they need for their presentation and no-one involved knows what those things are for just that "the presenter said she/he needed this"
Today I got asked how someone can Facetime from their personal phone here at HQ to the projector at some Holiday Inn meeting room we're renting out next month on the other side of the state, and they don't know what that projector will be connected to.

Luckily the person asking is easygoing and took my suggestion of "speakerphone" as an acceptable alternative to projecting the other person's face on the wall for no reason.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TheParadigm posted:

I think a change of heart like this is usually spurred on by other factors and considerations, and while its certainly nice, I think you're allowed to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Bosses like that only start to change when they're forced to do it. He knows how completely hosed he'd be if you quit and let the staff know that everything wrong with the tech there can be traced to Boss's poor decisions and even more terrible budgeting. Bossman probably had an 'oh fuckkkkk' epiphany at some point and realized how boned he'd be without Larches, and is trying to curry favor and save face the only way he knows how, like a weasel.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

larchesdanrew posted:

In all seriousness, congrats on finally having a supervisor that acts like an adult. Also hope things keep improving for you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

minusX posted:

But do you pay for 8?

Nope. I pay for 3 since that is the best I can get.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I was going to be in a good mood this weekend. Until I found the end days are upon us, and we are all going to perish in a holocaust.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

larchesdanrew posted:

Either your boss is three days early, or you are. Can't fool me. :colbert:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you manage Windows 7 or Server 2008r2, I guess you should be slightly concerned about 'Total Meltdown', a vuln I didn't know existed until today:

https://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html

MS released an out-of-band fix for this yesterday: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100480/windows-kernel-update-for-cve-2018-1038 I spent a good 20min discussing this with my coworker, as the summary paragraph is somewhat inscrutable. The tl;dr version is if you've patched your machine between Jan 3 and March 23, you are vulnerable! Yay!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

goddamn it

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Oh, I'm not stupid enough to get all starry eyed and start thinking this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. This place is toxic and he's a toxic man. This is some bizarre hybrid of the abusive boss patting you on the head just enough to keep you from going postal and covering his own rear end.

Part of this came from the fact that we were up for state accreditation. I think I mentioned this but I was given like three days notice that we needed a tech plan and was told to find an updated tech plan from one of my predecessors, but none exist. Accreditation comes and the day of, he emails the team a tech plan he's been sitting on and CC's me on it (thanks for sharing that with me in a timely fashion, rear end in a top hat), informing the accreditation team that we don't have an updated one and that they can call me in for an interview if they have any questions. It was a really blatant attempt at throwing me under the bus and absolving him of any responsibility for there not being a technology plan.

However, they called me in for the interview and I explained that I started two years ago and have spent the entirety of the last two years playing catch-up after the previous TC left without leaving any documentation, which has become even more difficult with the termination of my assistant position. I explained that we don't have a tech plan because we haven't gotten to the point that we are looking to improve things. The plan right now is to get things stable and maintainable with our current budget before planning upgrades and replacement plans. I was able to adequately explain our tech status as well as future goals to both improve our infrastructure while also saving tens of thousands of dollars a year. The team leader told me later, off the record, that my patience is impressive and that they all noticed how demanding and short tempered the director was, especially with me.

My department was the only one with no marks against it. Their only comment was that my positive outlook was impressive considering the stressful job and lack of assistance.

So, what the director had intended to be the nail in my coffin actually ended up being a huge feather in my cap and he actually got points docked for his method of leadership.

Either that was a big wake-up call for him, or I don't know. But I do know that whatever that was yesterday afternoon was most likely all for show. But out of it, I got a pretty big confidence boost seeing how appreciative my coworkers are. I also emailed him (as I do after every solo meeting with him) to verify what we had discussed, so I have his written confirmation that we met to discuss 30+ instances of accolades and testaments to my work ethic.

I'd say that will be a pretty big bullet for a wrongful termination suit if he does get a bug up his rear end about something before I find something else :shrug:

mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

So, what the director had intended to be the nail in my coffin actually ended up being a huge feather in my cap and he actually got points docked for his method of leadership.

It sounds like some adults came to visit and he got his hand slapped. I would agree with you that his new attitude is likely to be temporary.

I imagine they asked him why he hasn't replaced your assistant and he had some nonsensical whimsy in response, and that's why he specifically mentioned it to you.

e: it might have been valuable to have asked for photocopies of those 30 compliments he was talking about, as hard evidence that that meeting had taken place but also to boost your own morale when the job is really bad

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 30, 2018

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Why thank you 3rd party field technician, I absolutely did want to spend an hour going over interface assignments on the MDF switch, it was very good of you to not bother keeping track of where things were plugged in while replacing that switch.

While we're here though: You replaced the wrong switch.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
One year ago I posted this to Facebook.

That means, most likely, one year ago I posted this on this thread too

https://i.imgur.com/89RMkVf.gifv

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Frabba posted:

Why thank you 3rd party field technician, I absolutely did want to spend an hour going over interface assignments on the MDF switch, it was very good of you to not bother keeping track of where things were plugged in while replacing that switch.

Happy loving Friday I guess. I'll pour one out for your lost Friday night.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

I just actually made this face :stonk: until I saw Hellmann’s on the tube.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Renegret posted:

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

https://youtu.be/kSCVahyh3Dk

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aunt Beth posted:

I just actually made this face :stonk: until I saw Hellmann’s on the tube.

In all the times I’ve seen the gif, I’ve never thought about the fact the paste would be going between the mobo and processor. Just "ha, mayo in a syringe, classic."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

In all the times I’ve seen the gif, I’ve never thought about the fact the paste would be going between the mobo and processor. Just "ha, mayo in a syringe, classic."

That's like half the joke

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Help me, how did I get here? I’m not good with computers.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It ok

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mewse posted:

That's like half the joke

I didn't notice the mayo OR the wrong layer, I was disturbed enough by the placement on the chip and excess squeezing out when it clamps down.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't like that the mayo isn't spread evenly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ghostlight posted:

I don't like that the mayo isn't spread evenly.

That's what the CPU does

Frivolous Sam
Apr 15, 2001

The aliens might be coming, THE ALIENS MIGHT BE COMING.

Thanks Ants posted:

That's what the CPU does

Central Pasting Unit

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Ahh, Easter!

That time of year when you visit the family homestead to see what malware and browser hijackers have appeared since you disinfected their computers at Christmas

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Frabba posted:

Reminds me of my field ops guy who pulled the wrong hard drive out of my SAN. You know, the one that I said "pull drive 11, the one at the bottom right corner" and he pulled 10. His response? "Oh, sorry, I heard one time that PC equipment you start counting at 1 instead of 0. Guess I should have asked first." You know, or looked at the little loving picture that tells you what each drive number is.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Panthrax posted:

Reminds me of my field ops guy who pulled the wrong hard drive out of my SAN. You know, the one that I said "pull drive 11, the one at the bottom right corner" and he pulled 10. His response? "Oh, sorry, I heard one time that PC equipment you start counting at 1 instead of 0. Guess I should have asked first." You know, or looked at the little loving picture that tells you what each drive number is.
At IBM the wisdom was “we start counting from 0 except when we start from 1, we count left to right except when we count right to left, and we count top to bottom except when we count bottom to top”

RTFM.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Aunt Beth posted:

At IBM the wisdom was “we start counting from 0 except when we start from 1, we count left to right except when we count right to left, and we count top to bottom except when we count bottom to top”

RTFM.

Something something avatar/username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Are the drives not labeled? That seems like a basic yet vital step to take, there.