Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

How else am I going to channel my secret desire to be a barker?

Get a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I think I’ve had one place ask for a cover letter. They also made me take a personality test and told me exactly how to dress for the interview. Place is super bizarre and I’m fairly confidant I don’t actually want to work there.

We didn't ask for one. Our online application allows applicants to upload as many documents as they want. Nearly everybody included a cover letter, and some went so far as to include their college transcripts despite having 10+ years IT experience. Why they would do that is abso-loving-lutely beyond me.

e; hahahah gently caress me I just found two identical cover letters with different 'accomplishments'. I knew instantly they were identical because they both use that loving "Look no further" phrase.
Hey everybody, if you submit a cover letter, don't use a goddamn downloaded form.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 30, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Audition for GSN?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We didn't ask for one. Our online application allows applicants to upload as many documents as they want. Nearly everybody included a cover letter, and some went so far as to include their college transcripts despite having 10+ years IT experience. Why they would do that is abso-loving-lutely beyond me.

e; hahahah gently caress me I just found two identical cover letters with different 'accomplishments'. I knew instantly they were identical because they both use that loving "Look no further" phrase.
Hey everybody, if you submit a cover letter, don't use a goddamn downloaded form.

If it's any consolation, the world of resumes and cover letters is a baffling thing. It's a bit like those really old proto-memes about dating women; You know, "as soon as you think you know the rules, they will change them", etc. The resume and interview thread is even like that. I posted a resume that I thought followed the OP to a T, and was immediately told to literally throw it out and start from scratch. Then the next few people started posting about resumes that were two column and had blue accents and poo poo.

Really though, I've come to find that the world of job hunting actually is a lot like the world of online dating. You fill in a bunch of forms, answer a bunch of personal questions about your likes, wants, needs, and hobbies, (in certain places) upload a photo, and then send blind messages to everywhere that you can in the hopes that literally anyone will do anything other than ignore you completely.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Network guy says not to give out the executive ssid to anyone anymore because it’s too open.

Problem is, every other ssid doesn’t work on IOS and hasn’t for a year or more. Executive came in wanting WiFi, so I gave him the executive one anyway. It’s easy for you to make these proclamations when you’re not gonna be the messenger telling executives the WiFi doesn’t work on the most common devices because someone bought lovely Meru APs that were totally obsolete before they ever left the box.

And no, the public WiFi you set up runs like poo poo and I will not be giving it to C-suite and getting the heat.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

neogeo0823 posted:

If it's any consolation, the world of resumes and cover letters is a baffling thing. It's a bit like those really old proto-memes about dating women; You know, "as soon as you think you know the rules, they will change them", etc. The resume and interview thread is even like that. I posted a resume that I thought followed the OP to a T, and was immediately told to literally throw it out and start from scratch. Then the next few people started posting about resumes that were two column and had blue accents and poo poo.

Really though, I've come to find that the world of job hunting actually is a lot like the world of online dating. You fill in a bunch of forms, answer a bunch of personal questions about your likes, wants, needs, and hobbies, (in certain places) upload a photo, and then send blind messages to everywhere that you can in the hopes that literally anyone will do anything other than ignore you completely.

This is absolutely my personal hell. I think my boss pushed this on me to punish me for leaving. I loving hate going through resumes and cover letters.

But while I have a column on my spreadsheet for "Resume quality", so far it hasn't been an influencing factor at all. I have an indeed resume that printed like garbage and the guy is on my short-list. I have pro-level resumes that have been instantly trashed.

I'm not a typical 'hiring manager' though and I'm weeding out applicants pretending to be qualified but not listing anything of substantial value, though. If HR was looking through these without knowing what IT does it would probably be a lot different.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Fool posted:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Get a dog suit

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

skooma512 posted:

Problem is, every other ssid doesn’t work on IOS and hasn’t for a year or more.

How the gently caress did they manage that one?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is absolutely my personal hell. I think my boss pushed this on me to punish me for leaving. I loving hate going through resumes and cover letters.

If you really think your boss is using this as some kind of petty revenge for you getting a better life for yourself, reply in kind: shuffle each applicant randomly into a list from best to worst and walk out the loving door.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
What's stopping you recommending the ones written in crayon with smiley faces randomly scrawled in the whitespace?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Verizian posted:

What's stopping you recommending the ones written in crayon with smiley faces randomly scrawled in the whitespace?

Having a solid recommendation in my back pocket if I want to change jobs later?

I got along extremely well with my boss at this job and she let didn't keep me on a leash. I could be found in the office roughly 3-4 hours a day and got perfect reviews. We definitely had a good thing going. As much as I could say "gently caress it, not my problem" they are still providing me with a paycheck and I'll still provide them solid high quality work. I do care about the well being of the organization as success benefits the public and doesn't mean more money in the pockets of directors.

As bad as it sucks, it will be over soon anyway. There's no reason for me to be a dick about it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I made absolutely clear to the recruiters that hit me up when I was trying to leave old job was that the only reason I was looking was to get off of working overnight and I was receptive to relocation within a reasonable driving distance of where I currently live.

Today I got called for the 6th time about a job in freaking Minnesota.... night coverage.

These motherfuckers are about to get blocked.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

I made absolutely clear to the recruiters that hit me up when I was trying to leave old job was that the only reason I was looking was to get off of working overnight and I was receptive to relocation within a reasonable driving distance of where I currently live.

Today I got called for the 6th time about a job in freaking Minnesota.... night coverage.

Minnesota Night Shift is a good name for either a mixed drink or a band.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ponzicar posted:

Minnesota Night Shift is a good name for either a mixed drink or a band.

Definitely my new Nathaniel Rateliff cover band.

neogeo has it right about the hiring process though - it's exactly like online dating, except worse because while you can get by without a partner, you have to make money somehow. At a certain point it feels exactly as empty and pointless as screaming at the moon, then you start wondering why the gently caress you bother when you're clearly never going to see this poo poo pay off.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I hold mine out by the top of the screen :q:
You must have a ThinkPad.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Aunt Beth posted:

You must have a ThinkPad.

If you did accidentally drop one, you’d break the floor.

If it’s a real ThinkPad, that is. Not one of those piece of poo poo Edge models.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you did accidentally drop one, you’d break the floor.

If it’s a real ThinkPad, that is. Not one of those piece of poo poo Edge models.
Amen. At my last job I had a T420 and I miss it. Now I have some flimsy silver plastic HP Macbook wannabe thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’ve got a T430 as my personal laptop. It’s kind of slow, not sure why. Maybe the SSD is cheap, not sure. Rock solid, though. The E440s had some sharp bit behind the screen so it didn’t take much of an impact on the top lid to crack the screen. I broke two in a year just from hauling it around as a field tech.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Regarding cover letters: I feel like all you can do is go wrong. No cover letter? They'll probably look at your resume anyway. Generic (or worse, misspelled?) Straight in the trash. Mind, I used to spend at least half an hour per job crafting The Perfectly Appropriate Letter, and as much if not more customizing the resume. The last couple jobs I've gotten on my own? No cover letter, generic resume.

Regarding holding laptops, I once saw a bunch of "engineers" walk by holding their mostly closed laptops, hand around the side of the keyboard at the bottom, with their left arms between screen and keyboard, like they were some kind of weird shield.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I write cover letters for jobs I really want. I'll have some reason to be excited about it, and I'll tell them why I'm excited to learn more. Short and simple one paragraph to show I'm honestly interested and that I can communicate well.

Most of those I at least get called back for but every job I've gotten had a custom cover letter like that.

E: to the point of short and simple, of your cover letter is more than a quarter of a page you might as well send a blank piece of paper because nobody is gonna read that poo poo.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 31, 2018

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Haven't written a cover letter in years, but I'm at the stage in my career where I can put my resume up on the internet and the jobs will come to me. Personally I think they're a terrible idea, the skills required to write a good cover letter are almost completely useless in IT unless you're writing press copy or something.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Best thing I ever did was goto a large company, but now am in a weird place where my resume isn’t doing me justice.

Basically I can list skills I have now, but it doesn’t feel like it’s doing justice, I’m in the process of becoming a reference customer for one cloud because of stuff I’ve done, and I talking to the CTO next week over issues I have with a popular tool. I guess I need to rethink what I’m doing and wait for the above stuff to land.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Things that loving suck: Working graveyard on the stupid daylight saving rollback day. So a extra hour at work for no money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wait what?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

3am becomes 2am.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No I know how DST works, the idea that you lose the pay is crazy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of salary exempt.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

When questioned the response is always "Well when it changes back, you work one less hour, I bet you wont want a hours less pay" to which I always reply, I'm fine with that as the chances of me working both shifts is a variable, hours worked on a given day is not.

Its not a argument I can win. So I reduce my productivity to suit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just tell them you'll take your lunch hour at 2am.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

tactlessbastard posted:

I hate that with a passion - when I was looking for a new job last year, about half of them were crap low-end support and were mainly east coast. I live in the midwest and had zero interest in relocation, especially doing so at my own expense for a job I was overqualified for that paid 20% less.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off: I worked 275 hours last month.

poo poo not pissing me off: I made $16,411.66 last month.

I may be tired and grumpy, but I destroyed almost all of my debt in one month.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You do infosec, right? I’m in the wrong speciality.

Does that require calculus proficiency or is it not generally that theoretical? I wasn’t very good at calculus even the last time I used it 5+ years ago.

Are you 1099, or is there some other reason you aren’t salaried exempt?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does that require calculus proficiency or is it not generally that theoretical? I wasn’t very good at calculus even the last time I used it 5+ years ago.

Embedded Linux with a heavy focus on infosec, although I am fullstack. I have a W2 job and I have two 1099 clients at 120$/hr and 100$/hr.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ratbert is one of those rare people that are really good at Linux and is in high demand, and I assume can dictate if he want to be exempt or not during negotiation.

God drat, that is a lot of money Ratbert. But 275 hours is... A lot.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It sure the hell is. I was going to say "isn't this thread full of people making that much on salary?" but then remembered that's the programming thread. Sorry CJs :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So this client I have. I invoice their finance department for days worked in the previous month. Finance asks the team lead to verify the dates. Team lead asks me if I had any days off.

If anyone can see any problems with this arrangement please raise your hand.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Ratbert is one of those rare people that are really good at Linux and is in high demand, and I assume can dictate if he want to be exempt or not during negotiation.

God drat, that is a lot of money Ratbert. But 275 hours is... A lot.

I'm a bumbling idiot when it comes to Linux. I just happen to bumble around a bit less than other people.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ratbert90 posted:

I'm a bumbling idiot when it comes to Linux. I just happen to bumble around a bit less than other people.

In the land of the Blind, Crippled, Quadrapalegic and Deaf, the one poor bastard who can at least listen to books on tape is King.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Gmail only accepting 1mb< .ics files :argh:

The ICAL syntax is super easy but manually splitting a 11MB calendar file into 11 smaller pieces for upload is time consuming and a huge waste of time. I'm surprised there's no shady web service for it like all those file conversion websites

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real masters of linux are the ones who write the solution to the first link on google when you search for an error string.

If you see the same username more than once for different problems you are in the presence of a god.