Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

She's not pretending to be a pirate, she is one. She just pretends to be a man.

i almost want to google for articles about how faris is ~problematic~ but then again i really don't because i'm sure they exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I bet it's mostly articles of people convinced she's actually trans.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait, the whole game? I know shes pretending to be a pirate at the very start

In the SNES/PS1 version she keeps the heavy pirate dialect throughout the game even after she leaves the bois, and indeed, the planet, behind

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

esperterra posted:

I bet it's mostly articles of people convinced she's actually trans.

Butz and Galuf are both mad horney 4 her even while they still think she's a dude, lol

e: gently caress didnt mean to double post. I JUST LOVE FINAL FANTASY SO MUCH

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

I JUST LOVE FINAL FANTASY SO MUCH

:same: except less than half of the total games in the series

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna fire up 9 again. I think it's the only game in the series that I've played through start to finish more than once. I've started a lot of them over again and either just loaded an end game save or stopped, but every time I start 9 I just go all the way through. Though I have a feeling Fossil Roo may stop me in my tracks this time. I just hate that whole section soooooo much.

edit:
When I look up screen shots of the Steam version the text boxes and battle display all looks really stupid. Is that how it looks in the actual game?
Like this:

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 30, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, is this actually good? I avoided it because of its bad logo and name.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm gonna fire up 9 again. I think it's the only game in the series that I've played through start to finish more than once. I've started a lot of them over again and either just loaded an end game save or stopped, but every time I start 9 I just go all the way through. Though I have a feeling Fossil Roo may stop me in my tracks this time. I just hate that whole section soooooo much.

edit:
When I look up screen shots of the Steam version the text boxes and battle display all looks really stupid. Is that how it looks in the actual game?
Like this:

The steam version looks fine, you get used to it. There's a couple mods out there that improve the music and backgrounds, you'll find them quick. Grab those and it's a totally acceptable port. Easily the best FF port on Steam.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

macaco time posted:

If trigger was a big bowl of lucky charms and some pop tarts, cross is like a bowl of organic oatmeal and some tangerines. I.e. It'll clear up your colon

If Trigger is a nice and fun story with that the whole family can enjoy, Cross is the angry teen who spends an evening writing a post on LiveJournal about what REALLY would have happened after the ending

Requisite some of the characters are cool, the music is great, etc.

The Big Word posted:

Still never played any of the Suikodens either hmm

1's fine but it's old and it shows. 2's super good and has a lot of quality of life updates that make it hard to go back and really enjoy 1 in some ways. 3 is a bit of a sprawling mess but if you like one of the three main characters you can choose from you can still have fun. Never played 4 but I've mostly heard bad things. Never played 5 but I've mostly heard good things.

e: 9's pretty good but when it came out I didn't want the nostalgia fest when I'd spent a good chunk of the previous few years actually playing those games. It was too soon, basically.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, I'm about to spend $20 on Final Fantasy 9 in 2018....I didn't even spend that much on it 18 year ago.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, I'm about to spend $20 on Final Fantasy 9 in 2018....I didn't even spend that much on it 18 year ago.
PS1 emulators are pretty obnoxious so it's not a bad call.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just wanna play it in 1080p and there is no way in hell I'm downloading 100000 different epsxe graphics plugins to try and find one that makes it look as good as that.

Not again.

Does it have redone high def backgrounds too? Pleeeeeease tell me it does.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FactsAreUseless posted:

PS1 emulators are pretty obnoxious so it's not a bad call.

And Steam FF9 has this:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/ff-modding/discussions/13/357284131804133221/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just wanna play it in 1080p and there is no way in hell I'm downloading 100000 different epsxe graphics plugins to try and find one that makes it look as good as that.

Not again.

Download this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/142261352660457538/?ctp=27

and this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/353916838206972073/

The models are always going to look a bit out of place on the backgrounds in the Steam version, but I liked these better than the default ones IIRC. Try both ways I guess and see which you like. The audio mod is essential though, do not skip it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope, the originals were lost to time. They did their best to decompress them from the original release. Sprites have been updated and FMVs are in their uncompressed state afaik, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh neat, I've never seen this before.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

Manually turn on the trance mode

Whoa. Wish I'd known about this last year when I replayed the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You know what final fantasy game rules? 15. I’ve 100%’d it like twice now, once on PS4 and now on PC. People should play and enjoy it, imo.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

bloom posted:

Whoa. Wish I'd known about this last year when I replayed the game.

I was talking to someone about FF9 and I *may* end up getting it on Steam if there is ever a sale. Mostly because I was told there is a mod that fixes the Steal System.
Last time I tried to play FF9 on an emulator, I searched for an hour for a code that would increase Steal Rate, but alas.

Between that, and the manual Trance, I'm fairly sold on it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was talking to someone about FF9 and I *may* end up getting it on Steam if there is ever a sale. Mostly because I was told there is a mod that fixes the Steal System.
Last time I tried to play FF9 on an emulator, I searched for an hour for a code that would increase Steal Rate, but alas.

Between that, and the manual Trance, I'm fairly sold on it.

At first I was like no way, that sounds like an easy rear end code to hack on the ps1 but yeah apparently the only code for it is buggy as hell :psyduck:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

esperterra posted:

She's not pretending to be a pirate, she is one. She just pretends to be a man.

Oh right, I knew there was some kind of pretending going on

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

man nurse posted:

You know what final fantasy game rules? 15. I’ve 100%’d it like twice now, once on PS4 and now on PC. People should play and enjoy it, imo.
It's really fun.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

man nurse posted:

It is the first main series FF I have not competed. It bores me to tears.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

13 literally torpedoed all good will I had for the series. Like in one swoop it ruined Final Fantasy for me. I was on the cusp because I didn't like 12, but still forced my way through most of it, but 13 just ended all of it. I don't know if I'll ever buy a Final Fantasy game again since they aren't really making the same kind of games that got me to like the series to begin with.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

13 literally torpedoed all good will I had for the series. Like in one swoop it ruined Final Fantasy for me. I was on the cusp because I didn't like 12, but still forced my way through most of it, but 13 just ended all of it. I don't know if I'll ever buy a Final Fantasy game again since they aren't really making the same kind of games that got me to like the series to begin with.

square should take a note from nintendo and cash in on people that like the old style games. do a "Final Fantasy Maker" and just rip off RPG Maker but include all the art assets and premade monster/item files from FF1-6. i'm sure someone would buy that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

man nurse posted:

"let's go back and play video games."
"go back where."
"... to the hotel room?"
"fat chance."

Rutibex posted:

square should take a note from nintendo and cash in on people that like the old style games. do a "Final Fantasy Maker" and just rip off RPG Maker but include all the art assets and premade monster/item files from FF1-6. i'm sure someone would buy that

the problem is that mario maker, you can do in a couple hours. if you're gonna do FF Maker, that could take months... years. way too long for a console-maker community to sustain itself.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 30, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

the problem is that mario maker, you can do in a couple hours. if you're gonna do FF Maker, that could take months... years. way too long for a console-maker community to sustain itself.

i'd imagine final fantasy maker would involve just making like, one dungeon's worth of content at a time.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Arrhythmia posted:

i'd imagine final fantasy maker would involve just making like, one dungeon's worth of content at a time.

That’s where a Zelda Maker would make more sense. I feel like one and done dungeons in the vein of FF would be pretty pointless.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pug Rodeo posted:

That’s where a Zelda Maker would make more sense. I feel like one and done dungeons in the vein of FF would be pretty pointless.

nintendo should do a Zelda Maker, but it turns out to be Zelda 2

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Plus with a FF maker you'd want to write text to tell a story which is something that the internet will pervert immediately.

Unless you're down for FF XXX: Cloud/Sephiroth/Vincent Threesome of Cerberus' Abstinence

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

duck trucker posted:

Plus with a FF maker you'd want to write text to tell a story which is something that the internet will pervert immediately.

Unless you're down for FF XXX: Cloud/Sephiroth/Vincent Threesome of Cerberus' Abstinence

Bookmarked.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

duck trucker posted:

FF15 has Steam Workshop support already and SE has promised to release mod tools. We will find out what they are down with soon enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

duck trucker posted:

Just need to get a red head guy in there and we'll have all the major ones covered! Was there a red head Final Fantasy hero?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
15 is the worst garbage in the series. Its the final fantasy 13 of final fantasy games.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

A final fantasy maker type game with a multiverse plot line and character(s) you could carry over and level in people’s created dungeons would be cool as hell. Probably really tough to make though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

XV is the first Final Fantasy I've completed since X. It's a good game. It's just super, super unfinished.

Like I've said before and will say eternally: it's the MGSV of Final Fantasy.

e: well since x-2 technically actually

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 30, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just need to get a red head guy in there and we'll have all the major ones covered! Was there a red head Final Fantasy hero?

Crono

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was there a red head Final Fantasy hero?

:sad:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wakka’s the only one I can think of.

And I will forever remember him because a good attack slots roll finally got me through the Yunalesca fight (though for some reason I can’t comprehend I’ve been calling them ‘blitz reels’ for years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LadyPictureShow posted:

(though for some reason I can’t comprehend I’ve been calling them ‘blitz reels’ for years)

I think that's their actual name in tutorials, Blitz Reels. All his limits are named <something> Reels, like Attack Reels or Status(?) Reels