Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Is there an accepted way of getting the moron behind you to turn their high beams off? Flashing my lights off and on never works.

If I think it's safe, I'll speed up until I'm out of range, or if I don't, I'll slow down to compensate for the loss of night vision and wait for them to realize it when they go to flash the jerk they're tailgating at 40km/h under. It works a lot of the time, and if it ends with me getting passed I resume normal speed and am slow to turn off my highs because I am a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sadly it was a 1-lane 25mph road, not too many options. He turned his brights on to flash someone who cut him off behind me and just never turned them off, the whole 10 minutes on that road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mount a strobe in the rear?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Mount a strobe in the rear?

When I was in high school I had a giant flashlight that was like 3 million candle power or something. Real good at convincing tailgaters to back up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is there an accepted way of getting the moron behind you to turn their high beams off? Flashing my lights off and on never works.

I want a rear window louver set that is completely mirrored on the bottom side. Whenever someone is behind me with obnoxious lights, push a button and all the louvers rotate, controlled by a computer to automatically reflect the light a few feet above the plane of the source light.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nsaP posted:

When I was in high school I had a giant flashlight that was like 3 million candle power or something. Real good at convincing tailgaters to back up.

I mean I could flash my little LED flashlight at them but I also feel like that's a good way to end up with an involuntary manslaughter charge

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've often idly contemplated the difficulty of rigging up an old camera flash in the rear window that I could set off with a button.

Knew a guy ages ago who claimed to keep a carton of BBs in his truck and throw a handful out the window whenever somebody was tailgating him.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Something I've often wondered about is brake lights that get brighter the harder you brake. I'm sure there's a good reason not to use them that escape me, but it seems like a useful thing. Is the car in front of me baking gently or are they trying desperately to avoid rear-ending the dude in front I can't see? Hell, it could even help you tell a tailgater to back the hell off without them having to notice the sudden speed differential. If they're just an rear end in a top hat they'll still be able to try and pass, and if they're just oblivious they'll be able to maybe see that they're too loving close.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

sleepy.eyes posted:

Something I've often wondered about is brake lights that get brighter the harder you brake. I'm sure there's a good reason not to use them that escape me, but it seems like a useful thing. Is the car in front of me baking gently or are they trying desperately to avoid rear-ending the dude in front I can't see? Hell, it could even help you tell a tailgater to back the hell off without them having to notice the sudden speed differential. If they're just an rear end in a top hat they'll still be able to try and pass, and if they're just oblivious they'll be able to maybe see that they're too loving close.

Mostly because of the time it takes you to register and react to brake lights is much shorter than the time to analyze the brake light brightness and trying to determine how hard the person is braking.

But a lot of new cars will throw on the hazards if you brake really hard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Javid posted:

Knew a guy ages ago who claimed to keep a carton of BBs in his truck and throw a handful out the window whenever somebody was tailgating him.

I definitely did not do this with paintballs, exiting via sunroof.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was considering painting my rear bumper with the reflective paint emergency services use.

Or attach a heap of white bezel reflectors. Or a mirror on the back of my headrests. Or one of those LED light bars on top of my rear window "to help with reversing at night, officer".

But nothing gets across "Turn off your goddamn highbeams" which is also legal and effective.

Now I just slow down until they overtake. Taking the civilised option is always the best - just not the most satisfying.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 29, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was considering painting my rear bumper with the reflective paint emergency services use.

Or attach a heap of white bezel reflectors. Or a mirror on the back of my headrests. Or one of those LED light bars on top of my rear window "to help with reversing at night, officer".

But nothing gets across "Turn off your goddamn highbeams" which is also legal and effective.

Now I just slow down until they overtake. Taking the civilised option is always the best - just not the most satisfying.

I saw a guy here who had a 1' square of SOLAS retroreflective material on a piece of cardboard. He held it up when a brotruck was tailgating and that dude backed away pretty quick. I bet it seemed like the guy was holding up a million-candlepower flashlight, but it was just the brotruck's high beams going straight back at him.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was thinking of doing this but i'm not sure about the legality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5cm...2818816167.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pur...2594086526.html

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

jamal posted:

Mostly because of the time it takes you to register and react to brake lights is much shorter than the time to analyze the brake light brightness and trying to determine how hard the person is braking.

But a lot of new cars will throw on the hazards if you brake really hard.

I've seen flashing center brake lights as well. All pretty good stuff. Typically if I have to brake very hard I'll throw the hazards on once I'm under control to let everyone know to watch out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sleepy.eyes posted:

Information overload is a thing. People will get paralyzed with indecision when there's too much information to process. Keeping it to the minimum necessary makes it easier for people to react and makes for safer roads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flashing brake lights is starting to become more of a thing and it's amusing to see the halfassed implementations some badges are coming up with.

I think it was a GM minivan I saw where all three tail lights flickered off and on four times every time the driver touched the brakes, no matter the speed. So if you're stuck behind them at a stop light and they're the type of driver that creeps forward constantly, you get a nonstop red flashing in your face. :fuckoff:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My dad installed one of those relays for his center brake light. 4 quick flashes, 4 longer flashes, and then solid. I think it was advertised as for motorcyclists. He got them so people would notice him and not rear end him, still doesnt use his turn signal half the time. :argh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Flashing brake lights is starting to become more of a thing and it's amusing to see the halfassed implementations some badges are coming up with.

I think it was a GM minivan I saw where all three tail lights flickered off and on four times every time the driver touched the brakes, no matter the speed. So if you're stuck behind them at a stop light and they're the type of driver that creeps forward constantly, you get a nonstop red flashing in your face. :fuckoff:

If it flashed every time they tapped the brakes I'd put my money on an aftermarket brake flasher module being the culprit.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
For tailgaters, something I read about somewhere suggested a switch to manually turn on the reverse indicator lights.

I got ticketed way back when for "glaring white light to the rear" (Montana, early '90s, busted red brake light cover bu working light) so I'm a little leery for that kind of fuckery. Maybe a little squeezebulb and a length of hose to spray castor oil onto the muffler...

(Current go-to is "Oops, I was so distracted at how close I was being followed that my foot fell off the gas and onto the floor Adjusting my speed to allow for proper gap".)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Point my mirrors at them, set my cruise for dead on the speed limit and turn my podcast volume up.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

Something stupid I witnessed...

Semi Pushes S2000 300 Feet Before Noticing

Amazing no one was hurt. Everyone goes at least 60mph through there

quote:

The driver of the red Honda said,”I felt a small bump then I was staring into a Semi’s grill. I just expected to be dead soon.”

same

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If the guy basically PIT-ed himself on the front of the semi as described there probably wasn't really that much impact force, it'd be basically like a fender bender plus flat-spotted tires. Still probably loving scary, but not really all that risky assuming the truck didn't then run them both in to something else.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

It's a GM minivan. The events you described were not part of the original intention.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I was under the impression those flashing-center-brake-light things were entirely aftermarket since they aren't actually street legal.

But as long as we're on the topic of the lights on the back of a car, I wish all manufacturers would have a proper yellow flasher instead of just blinking the red light. There's a car up ahead that I can only see half of, and his taillight just turned bright for a moment. Did he tap his brakes or turn on his signal? It takes an extra second to find out. It's not that big a deal, of course, but it could be eliminated entirely if all the car makers would do like they do in the rest of the world outside North America, and just have yellow indicator lights all around.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

My Transit Connect has red rear fog lights I can activate that are easily mistakable for brake lights, perfect for tailgaters.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd like a loving strobe light that is only visible when someone is too close. Tailgating solved, people.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just popped up on my fb feed:

Car ahead of them kicked up a chunk of steel that went through their (empty) passenger side.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Another reminder that we're only seconds away from death at any moment while driving.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Another reminder that we're only seconds away from death at any moment while driving.

At any moment period, really.

Any second now the Chinese space station could fall out of the sky and hit you in the head.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Just popped up on my fb feed:

Car ahead of them kicked up a chunk of steel that went through their (empty) passenger side.

Is that the metal part of a lane marker reflector...?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The universe is genuinely trying to kill you every second of your life. Not with any intent, it's just an unimaginably hostile environment that somehow acquired a pocket of slightly less lethal conditions (which promptly developed its own chaotic system of everything trying to kill everything else).

We are all colossal badasses for having survived as long as we have.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Powershift posted:

At any moment period, really.

Any second now the Chinese space station could fall out of the sky and hit you in the head.

Hell, there's enough satellites and space junk surrounding this rock that any one of those could probably do it, provided it doesn't burn up on re-entry.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Geoj posted:

Is that the metal part of a lane marker reflector...?

Looks like it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Does insurance cover that kind of poo poo? What would it even count as?

I wonder if you could sue the organization responsible for maintaining that road, that seems pretty loving negligent.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I wonder if you could sue the organization responsible for maintaining that road, that seems pretty loving negligent.

She'll probably end up getting reprimanded for absconding with Highway Department property.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
She should go to her local red fingernail brigade and tell them it almost killed a child.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I think this sort of thing would be covered by comprehensive coverage.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Comedy taking a claim against the highway department option?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Being Easter means the area around my house gets piles of tourists appearing for the break. They seem to loose all semblance of road sense though as they walk in front of your car and expect you to not move. Chinese tourists are particularly bad as they don’t worry at all about cars and walk through the Centre of car parks in herds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Fermented Tinal posted:

She should go to her local red fingernail brigade and tell them it almost killed a child.

I really want to know what this means but I feel like maybe also I dont