Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I'm a little afraid I'm going to get dragged into this :toot:

I think the word you're looking for is 'excited.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0keN5vN4E

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

went ahead with the NESRGB install and recapped the console while I was in there

ready

set

goddamn (or; goddamn, I suck at CRT photography)

I was kind of expecting to be underwhelmed by this thing, idk why but I feel like I've seen so much NES emulation that seeing a pure NES image wouldn't really faze me, but the first time I saw it on the PVM I was like "holy poo poo". It is really, really impressive. I have it hardwired to the "natural" palette and does seem a little off as I expected, I have parts on the way to install a JTAG port and flash it with the FBX palette which will probably take care of the few times I see something and think "wait that's not supposed to be that color".

As far as the cable goes I haven't messed with it at all (and it works fine) but I will probably remove the capacitors from the cable rather than from the NESRGB board because I don't really intend to use the cable with anything else, but I may decide to move the NESRGB to my twin famicom or something. I was hoping to have my EDN8 by today but there was an error with the stone age gamer site and they had them listed as in stock about a week ago when they were actually backordered so welp

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
But why Star Soldier? Closest game at hand?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Star Soldier is a good game :colbert:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Not denying its a good game, it's just not quite a graphics powerhouse. Unless he wanted to see how it would improve a slightly above average looking game?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just like star soldier :shrug:

e: fine here's crisis force

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 31, 2018

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
SUPER SD SYSTEM 3 IMPRESSIONS:

It is really good! It pretty much does exactly what is advertised and does it well. Some people have complained of RGB noise \ audio distortions but honestly I can't tell any difference compared to my old RGB modded Turbo Duo. That just might be my tinnitus and nearsightedness talking, but everything looks and sounds the same, if not better than I remember the Turbo Duo looking and sounding. I wish I could record a direct comparison but like I mentioned before, I sold my Turbo Duo\Everdrive to finance the purchase of this thing along with a Core Grafx and just about broke even. Either way, whatever plagued the initial batch's RGB is definitely gone, since I'm playing it through a retroaccess Gen2 JP21 SCART cable into a framemeister and it looks fantastic.

The only glitch I observed in about 4ish hours of playing several dozen games was it playing the wrong audio track during the intro to Rondo of Blood, but I'm 99% sure that's a fault of CD image I have and not the device.

One of the really cool features is the "In Game Reset" back to the menu, letting you swap both hucard and cd images on the fly with an ease more like an emulator. Swapping games is quicker and easier than even a RetroPi. This is both good and bad, since it brings out the game ADD I occasionally suffer from. I'll probably have to turn it off at times to really get deep into anything.

There's not much else to really say about it right now, the only feature I haven't tested is the composite video out, since I don't actually own a set of Gen 2 composite video cables. I ordered a cheapo $2 pair so I'll be able to hook it up to my CRT. This is definitely the one purchase stop for PC Engine fans, if you care enough about CD titles to own it, definitely go for it. Anyway, hats off to Terraonion for this thing, I'll definitely be watching to see what comes out of their R&D department next. Here's hoping they make an ODE for the Sega/Mega CD, since that's really the last CD console of note with nothing out there so far.

DARKSOFT NEOGEO MULTI MVS IMPRESSION:

I wish I could give impressions on this cool looking little device, but mine showed up dead on arrival. I managed to get it to output a black screen on one MVS Motherboard, and gibberish video on another. It...uh, comes in a really sweet box though, with stickers! Thankfully their customer service responded quickly and courteously and I've already got it back in the mail headed to them for repair. Will update as the situation progresses! I sold most of my MVS collection off to pay for it, so I'm a bit anxious to get it back in working condition.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
That’s great news about the ssds3! I can’t wait for mine to get here!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

drat that is pretty as all gently caress

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My SD Super System 3 arrived today as well, and I'm pretty impressed with it. It handles all the stuff my Everdrive did, but also handles BIN/CUE and even a mixture of CUE/ISO/WAV. Setup was easy and the output works great. I played through a lot of Chiki Chiki Boys and Air Zonk and it was a seamless experience.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

d0s posted:

:eyepop:

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I have the option of buying a 20m2u PVM for $200 versus a 20m4u PVM for $400. I already have a framemeister so I don’t really NEED a PVM, but with how these things have been going up in price I figure it would be cool to have one. Which would you guys recommend, especially since one costs like double the other? Would the extra lines benefit retro games? I believe it 600 vs 800, so I assume the tube is better on the more expensive model plus it’s easier to calibrate according to google. Both seem a lot higher than I remember a few years back but are in line with what they go for in my area.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

FireMrshlBill posted:

So I have one of those portable DVD systems that hangs on the back of a headrest so your kids can watch dvd's in the back seat on long road trips. Its dual screen and the satellite screen can accept composite video input (via a 4 ring 3.5mm to rca adapter that it came with, actually both screens can do it).

So my question, other than the PSone, are there car adapters for other systems like the NES, SNES, N64, GC?

There's the HiSaturn Navi. It even has it's own little LCD screen!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

went ahead with the NESRGB install and recapped the console while I was in there

I was kind of expecting to be underwhelmed by this thing, idk why but I feel like I've seen so much NES emulation that seeing a pure NES image wouldn't really faze me, but the first time I saw it on the PVM I was like "holy poo poo". It is really, really impressive.

I love how so many people I've seen think "I'm sure the NESRGB is just a slight improvement over composite" and then blow their minds playing on CRT or better yet, a PVM. It's the single most biggest image quality improvement any console mod will have.

Bonobos posted:

I have the option of buying a 20m2u PVM for $200 versus a 20m4u PVM for $400. I already have a framemeister so I don’t really NEED a PVM, but with how these things have been going up in price I figure it would be cool to have one. Which would you guys recommend, especially since one costs like double the other? Would the extra lines benefit retro games? I believe it 600 vs 800, so I assume the tube is better on the more expensive model plus it’s easier to calibrate according to google. Both seem a lot higher than I remember a few years back but are in line with what they go for in my area.

Well, the price does seem a bit steep, but if we assume they are both the same quality, maybe ask if you can see them in action if you have that option? I have the 20M4E (the euro model) and it's been great, and naturally it's even better in person than in my lovely cellphone pics.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 31, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TeaJay posted:

I love how so many people I've seen think "I'm sure the NESRGB is just a slight improvement over composite" and then blow their minds playing on CRT or better yet, a PVM. It's the single most biggest image quality improvement any console mod will have.

Well, the price does seem a bit steep, but if we assume they are both the same quality, maybe ask if you can see them in action if you have that option? I have the 20M4E (the euro model) and it's been great, and naturally it's even better in person than in my lovely cellphone pics.

I am a terrible retrogamer, I only recognize the two most obvious of those games in those screenshots.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bonobos posted:

Where are you located? I kind of want to get on the pvm train.

e: other side of the country, rip me

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 31, 2018

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

hexwren posted:

I am a terrible retrogamer, I only recognize the two most obvious of those games in those screenshots.

MUSHA,Contra Hard Corps
Battletoads, ?
Little Samson,Megaman 3

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
i didn't know there was a contra furry game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

MUSHA,Contra Hard Corps
Battletoads, ?
Little Samson,Megaman 3

The last one is Wai wai world 2.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Caitlin posted:

I'm a little afraid I'm going to get dragged into this :toot:

I'm gonna take it a little personally if you don't bring a Game Boy and a link cable to MGC. Only one more cart left to be acquired and I'll have my set of 16…

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

only difference between M2U and M4U is the amount of black space between scanlines (TVL count). actually, my crisis force picture up there is taken on a 2U (600 TVL) so you can compare it with the 4U (800 TVL) pics TeaJay posted. It's really personal preference.

e:

TeaJay posted:

Well, the price does seem a bit steep,

Assuming those are USD, neither price is steep (for 2018 prices) and both are great deals. If I had the money and was in his position I would buy both and tate one

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 31, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

i didn't know there was a contra furry game

The best Contra game.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Bonobos posted:

Assuming this is from that PVM sale on Craigslist in LA, well thats one thing that is cheaper in LA than here in DC. Then again, I am sure there are a ton more PVMs/BVMs in the area given the industry.

It says $50off each additional PVM. So I would grab both and probably can turn around and sell the m2u for $300 later to offset the price of the m4u.

That M2U would be over $400 here.

Anonymouse Mook posted:

There's the HiSaturn Navi. It even has it's own little LCD screen!

Haha, that is awesome, I wonder how many people actually used the GPS in that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

only difference between M2U and M4U is the amount of black space between scanlines (TVL count). actually, my crisis force picture up there is taken on a 2U (600 TVL) so you can compare it with the 4U (800 TVL) pics TeaJay posted. It's really personal preference.

e:

Assuming those are USD, neither price is steep (for 2018 prices) and both are great deals. If I had the money and was in his position I would buy both and tate one

Really, this is a fair price nowadays? Even in the US where there's way more supply than here in Northern Europe? I will take your word for it, I bought mine for 90 € some years ago and even then thought it was pretty steep. Haven't regretted it a bit, though.

I would love another PVM to tate permanently but I can't/won't pay these prices or more anymore. Even the supply of consumer CRT's is very slow these days, I've been on the lookout for a nice spare Trinitron/Panasonic for months and there's been nothing in my area. People probably have finally trashed their sets by now.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 31, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are a handful of 20M2MDUs from what I can see on the east side of the US, they all start at least $400.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Just tried out Punch-Out!! for the switch. I don’t know whose job it was to do the audio, but they messed up mid-match speech. The things shouted don’t match up right. I hear “one” instead of “watch left”.

Not to mention the ten-count is sped up to all hell.

Turns out the problem I'm having (aside from the sped-up ten count) is that Hamster only ported the Japanese version, and not its localized North American release.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

d0s posted:

e:

Same, I would jump on this. The M4U is the best looking PVM I’ve personally seen that only does 240p/480i, for some of those games I think it looks even better than the 20L5

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

So when I got this AV Famicom and tested it before installing the NESRGB I noticed phantom inputs when using a controller in the expansion port (but not the NES style front ports), and just figured there were some cold joints there and I would take care of it during the install. I desoldered and reflowed every pin of the expansion port but the problem persists. The most common input is the right direction being activated when nothing is touched but sometimes games will pause randomly or the A button will be activated as well. The port itself looks physically fine with no corrosion or cracked pins or anything like that. This is kind of a big problem for me because I'm a big controller nerd and have a few great pads and joysticks that use the expansion port (I tested all of them with the same results). A big reason I went with an AV Famicom is because it has both Famicom and NES ports providing the widest range of controllers to mess with, in addition to the multiout port. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Google turns up nothing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

So when I got this AV Famicom and tested it before installing the NESRGB I noticed phantom inputs when using a controller in the expansion port (but not the NES style front ports), and just figured there were some cold joints there and I would take care of it during the install. I desoldered and reflowed every pin of the expansion port but the problem persists. The most common input is the right direction being activated when nothing is touched but sometimes games will pause randomly or the A button will be activated as well. The port itself looks physically fine with no corrosion or cracked pins or anything like that. This is kind of a big problem for me because I'm a big controller nerd and have a few great pads and joysticks that use the expansion port (I tested all of them with the same results). A big reason I went with an AV Famicom is because it has both Famicom and NES ports providing the widest range of controllers to mess with, in addition to the multiout port. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Google turns up nothing.

It's haunted. You should play Ghostbusters and it will fix it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

The pins on the port itself dirty? I know I have heard of that on the actual NES ports so I imagine the same would be true for the Famicom port as well.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Djarum posted:

The pins on the port itself dirty? I know I have heard of that on the actual NES ports so I imagine the same would be true for the Famicom port as well.

Nah they're perfectly clean and shiny, actually the NES style pins look grimier. This AV Famicom actually had the expansion port cover installed when I got it and looks really well taken care of so idk

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's deffo a car adapter for the Gamecube, I used it with a clamshell screen and Wavebird to play Sonic Adventure 2 on long car rides as a kid.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

Nah they're perfectly clean and shiny, actually the NES style pins look grimier. This AV Famicom actually had the expansion port cover installed when I got it and looks really well taken care of so idk

Hmmm. It sounds like a short of some sort. Have you tried different controllers and whatnot? I'd probably grab a multimeter and check connectivity. If it is happening intermittently I would think it was a solder joint like you did originally, maybe further in the board though.

Speaking of that expansion port cover, is there anywhere to buy a replacement cover for the AV Famciom? Mine didn't come with one.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Djarum posted:

Hmmm. It sounds like a short of some sort. Have you tried different controllers and whatnot? I'd probably grab a multimeter and check connectivity. If it is happening intermittently I would think it was a solder joint like you did originally, maybe further in the board though.

Speaking of that expansion port cover, is there anywhere to buy a replacement cover for the AV Famciom? Mine didn't come with one.

yeah I've tried like 4 different controllers and they all have the same issue. it's strange because it happens only when a controller is plugged in but you don't have to touch it or the connector in any way for it to happen. problem disappears when it's unplugged. Continuity is fine, and the other joints look fine too. I'm thinking maybe whatever chip that deals with controls might have an issue (idk much about the NES/famicom architecture)

edit: so I just plugged a controller into the front NES style ports and then tried using an expansion port controller with it plugged in and have not had the problem happen yet, and it was very frequent. Maybe the hardware expects a controller to always be plugged in, because all previous systems with the expansion port had hardwired controllers

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 1, 2018

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

yeah I've tried like 4 different controllers and they all have the same issue. it's strange because it happens only when a controller is plugged in but you don't have to touch it or the connector in any way for it to happen. problem disappears when it's unplugged. Continuity is fine, and the other joints look fine too. I'm thinking maybe whatever chip that deals with controls might have an issue (idk much about the NES/famicom architecture)

edit: so I just plugged a controller into the front NES style ports and then tried using an expansion port controller with it plugged in and have not had the problem happen yet, and it was very frequent. Maybe the hardware expects a controller to always be plugged in, because all previous systems with the expansion port had hardwired controllers

That would be the JIO which if that is bad, you are basically buying another AV Famicom. Another thing to check would be the diodes at DA216, they can blow rarely and cause issue. Although it sounds like it is just a short so touching up the solder there might help. If none of that works I might hit it all with some hot air and just reflow everything, at that point it can't hurt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are there any sites that sell aftermarket GB Micro faceplates?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are there any sites that sell aftermarket GB Micro faceplates?

Rose Colored Gaming used to but haven’t in awhile. Everything else I have seen on Amazon or eBay has been crap (flimsy or hazy screen lens). Best bet is finding official plates on eBay.

Looks like retromodding.com has some. They are reputable for other stuff, so I’d just look up reviews of their faceplates.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 1, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've bought from Retromodding once before. They sell a good product. Takes a bit longer to come in since it's from Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I'm gonna take it a little personally if you don't bring a Game Boy and a link cable to MGC. Only one more cart left to be acquired and I'll have my set of 16…

I don't have a link cable! I never had a reason to have one! I have no friends! :v: