Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

kaleedity posted:

it's a little better when you're sick as gently caress like these nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu51E7Cw0uY

but yeah my group's far from that
J_sat is kind of crazy. I know its taking advantage of a few things but his solo legend runs are pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Legend is super fun with a good group especially when your doing full book champion runs without hiccups. The problem is the abundance of armor and the lack of headshots on said armored targets. In VT1 the most you'd see is SV who have an unarmored head so it wasn't a big deal, most weapons were viable. Now you have super armor and shields so you can no longer take any weapon you want thus making legend not fun.

Once they add anti armor abilities to every weapon and fix the poo poo careers things will be much better. The elf's 2h sword has a stab that's great against armor why the other great swords don't have this is just plain stupidity. The hammer and shield lacking its straight down attack is also stupid making the weapon completely useless on champ and above.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Arghy posted:

Legend is super fun with a good group especially when your doing full book champion runs without hiccups.

My group is at this point in champ but now 2 have gone to play a ton of Farcry 5 so will probably end up not doing legend till after beta goes live which means we'll need to play much tighter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2J6DWPSqk

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The worst part of the "elves are always clueless pubbies" meme is that everytime I play elf, I have someone split up or run ahead, I tell them not to split, they get hosed alone. Then I always get a "typical elf, not helping".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What's better? Critical Hits granting temporary health or Kills granting temporary health?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Definitely kills. Congratulations, you're ready for Champion now.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Definitely kills. Congratulations, you're ready for Champion now.

I will say as Foot Knight, I've been rocking the health back on boss kills and it feels very nice since I'm not always stocking up on temp health like other careers

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Use a halberd or a 2h hammer and get more kills

e: really as foot knight you have so much health that even with the good necklace trinket you can feel like you're barely getting any health back

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Use a halberd or a 2h hammer and get more kills

e: really as foot knight you have so much health that even with the good necklace trinket you can feel like you're barely getting any health back

Yeah, I run a halberd most of the time, but I've also just settled into watching the back during hordes cuz everyone has green circle mania and 3 people will stand there obliterating stuff without ever looking behind. It's not that the temp health thing is bad, I was just kinda experimenting with the boss kill talent and have been liking it so far.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Are you playing with pubs or friends? You could always say hey lemme slurp up some temp health

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like the boss health as well as iron breaker. I hardly take damage anyway and one boss health a map is normally enough to fill me up. I could get plenty of health during hordes but thats about the only time I really do much killing due to the ranged people oblitering everything before it gets close. And in hordes I don't really need the temp health because my kit handles them so easily.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
One of you guys turned me on to the 1h sword for Kruber and drat, I love the moveset. That "versatile" tag is an understatement.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Firstborn posted:

One of you guys turned me on to the 1h sword for Kruber and drat, I love the moveset. That "versatile" tag is an understatement.

Is it better than halberd?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

no, it's a decent change of pace though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is different than the halberd.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I got Kruber's red 1h sword last night, even though its called a mace in the description. I almost want to use it over the halberd.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Minorkos posted:

to me Slayer seems kind of fundamentally bad because you kinda need to have a ranged weapon to snipe various specials with.

I think they made most 3rd career choices more niche and hard to play than the rest (except maybe kruber), in order to add a level of challenge and badassery to the game. Say, if you wanna slayer on deeds/legend you kinda need to be able to dodge assassins and pack rats consistently, otherwise you're hosed. You kinda need to get better at the game to play slayer, but once you get the hang of it you'll be wrecking poo poo up like there's no tomorrow

Plus when you get to power 600 and craft all the orange poo poo you need, the game becomes more about having fun and less about grinding/carrying groups as IB.

E: Ok, carrying groups is also a lot of fun, but so is burying twin axes in chaos warrior heads, while leaping through the air. Slayer is badass

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 2, 2018

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

am i out of my mind or does trying to change subclass in lobby make you unable to play 100% of the time

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

nope, it's been like this today, idk why.

also when I'm in someone else's lobby and they queue for a run, I get stuck for around 20-30 seconds after hitting accept

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mr. Pickles posted:

nope, it's been like this today, idk why.

I've been thrown into limbo every time I've tried to switch characters pre-map using the skull, ever since release. Pretty annoying if you want to switch subclass to balance out a lopsided team comp.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Agrajag posted:

sounds not fun at all

ah, I see you have found every competitive mode in every video game ever

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

ahh hate when im the host and people are getting mad at me for not already knowing the exact way the game physics are broken on every map

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Anyone else feel like halberd SV are now doing push attacks? Last game i was in i swear they were loving shoving me to break my block then stabbing me with the halberd. I think its just the stab attack has a very short animation so they shove you then quickly stab before you can block again.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

ah, I see you have found every competitive mode in every video game ever

The game is fun
Sometimes the players you're with are not

Like super serious VT2 players, are you kidding me. Its pve gimme a break

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
So I have this thing where, like, I'm forty hours into the game, havin' fun, getting all my characters (except Kerillian because I have standards) leveled up, and I just

don't give a poo poo where tomes and grimoires are

I understand folks wanting to get them, and if we get them on a run hey great, but I just cannot for the life of me cannot remember where they're at and honestly don't give a drat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gently caress reading

i care more about finishing a map than getting every book

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

There's not knowing where the books are but holy poo poo when your in my game and refuse to pick up a loving tome/grim when i'm pinging the loving thing your getting kicked before we finish the game. It was a vet game where i was leveling up my alts and 2 dudes would not pick up the loving tome--one started bitching that if i wanted a heal then i shouldn't carry the tome. I've never encountered such stupidity before haha like assholes you're going to get more exp/better loot why would you not pick up the 3rd tome.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
tome completionist is right up there with greencirclephelia.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CapitanGarlic posted:

So I have this thing where, like, I'm forty hours into the game, havin' fun, getting all my characters (except Kerillian because I have standards) leveled up, and I just

don't give a poo poo where tomes and grimoires are

I understand folks wanting to get them, and if we get them on a run hey great, but I just cannot for the life of me cannot remember where they're at and honestly don't give a drat.

Eventually you're going to remember some of them. Like, I don't actively try to memorize where they are but even I know where a handful are located, especially the really easy ones like the tombs on Righteous Stand.

And I know how to get like, one Grimoire on Into the Nest.

But yeah, for the most part I don't bother with them unless the majority of the party decides they want to give it a shot. Extra XP is always nice when you're trying to get all your trait unlocks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pictured: an endangered species

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arghy posted:

There's not knowing where the books are but holy poo poo when your in my game and refuse to pick up a loving tome/grim when i'm pinging the loving thing your getting kicked before we finish the game. It was a vet game where i was leveling up my alts and 2 dudes would not pick up the loving tome--one started bitching that if i wanted a heal then i shouldn't carry the tome. I've never encountered such stupidity before haha like assholes you're going to get more exp/better loot why would you not pick up the 3rd tome.

The extra exp isn't that great on Veteran, and is definitely not worth it on some maps where you have to go out of your way to get them. You're better off finishing the level as quickly as possible because that already gets you 625 exp.

Not to mention the fact that grimoires actually reduce your chance of finishing the mission successfully, so you should avoid picking them unless your team is pretty good (a rarity in pub games).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I definitely would like Kruber and Saltz getting a stab attack in their 2H sword heavy chain. Maybe 1/2 stabs -> 1 heavy sweep, so you could weave in light attacks for horde work.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Got my first hat, its a beany for ranger bardin and its loving ugly as sin. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1350041502

2 grims adds 125exp so for the extra 20-30 seconds to get them every 5 games you get a free game(625). It's good training to get every tome/grim so when you get to a higher difficulty you can grab them easily again. Reminder you might not need the gear but if you're playing vet then someone might need to get good gear so get all the tomes/grims unless you know everyone has higher than 200 HP gear.

I would run vet with my bots if they picked up tomes and grims, don't worry i'll carry you grab that loving tome or grim. If a grim carrier goes down then shucks don't worry i won't be mad but still pick it up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Digirat posted:

pictured: an endangered species

I'm sure Saltspyre is still blaming Bardin for friendly fire

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I will never again in my life play Recruit

They literally did not know how Empire in Flames works, I had to lead them everywhere

How

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Too Shy Guy posted:

They literally did not know how Empire in Flames works, I had to lead them everywhere

How

The quality of players seems to nosedive heavily when its the weekend, in my experience.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Agent355 posted:

I like the boss health as well as iron breaker. I hardly take damage anyway and one boss health a map is normally enough to fill me up. I could get plenty of health during hordes but thats about the only time I really do much killing due to the ranged people oblitering everything before it gets close. And in hordes I don't really need the temp health because my kit handles them so easily.
it's worth noting that this refill also clears downs too. i find temp health is better for the ranged/squishy classes simply because they take so much damage from a glancing it on high difficulty levels that it increases their durability quite a lot, but even on 'marginally tough' classes like mercenary i get a LOT of mileage out of that recharge simply because the main time you're going to go down at all is against a boss and you'll heal right back up after it dies.

Firstborn posted:

it's especially good on huntsman because the long dodges will get you clear of junk quicker so you can use your bow again

enraged_camel posted:

The extra exp isn't that great on Veteran, and is definitely not worth it on some maps where you have to go out of your way to get them. You're better off finishing the level as quickly as possible because that already gets you 625 exp.

Not to mention the fact that grimoires actually reduce your chance of finishing the mission successfully, so you should avoid picking them unless your team is pretty good (a rarity in pub games).
worth noting that the extra XP is only part of it. increased rarity on loot is actually relevant even when building item score because while a white will melt down for 1-2 scrap, an orange will melt for like 5-7

scrap is your limiting step on most stuff at item level 300 so it's v good to get more of it

Arghy posted:

Anyone else feel like halberd SV are now doing push attacks? Last game i was in i swear they were loving shoving me to break my block then stabbing me with the halberd. I think its just the stab attack has a very short animation so they shove you then quickly stab before you can block again.
they have always had a push but it doesn't break your guard inherently. it does do stam damage though and does do a trivial amount of damage through a block (i've been downed by it once when on only bleedout health).

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Too Shy Guy posted:

How

Oh no, newbies playing the newbie difficulty! How dare they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Catpain Slack posted:

Oh no, newbies playing the newbie difficulty! How dare they?

I'm going to assume, based on the winning in green circles, Too Shy Guy was probably Audish?

I'm hesitant to call level 17, 20, and 13 players newbies.