Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the worst grim is the second in Festering Grounds, since it’s a awkward drop to a ledge but if you gently caress it up you take a bunch of fall damage so you don’t get too many attempts

The only time I made this drop, a packmaster was just chilling in the tunnel and immediately grabbed me. Then, in a panic to save me, the rest of my team fell to their deaths loving up the drop. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Phlegmish posted:

Bonus points if you get attacked by several hordes while they spend 15 minutes trying to trickjump their way towards a grim

That one in Empire In Flames is awful for this.
I had a run of Convocation of Decay where 2 people went down to hordes whilst Sienna failed the jump puzzle. When I asked if the grim was worth it I got the inevitable scorn before we handily wiped during the circle stage. Fun times. I'm sure scrap will become useful but for now I just want to boost my item level whatever the colour. Risking runs for scrap seems like weird prioritisation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the worst grim is the second in Festering Grounds, since it’s a awkward drop to a ledge but if you gently caress it up you take a bunch of fall damage so you don’t get too many attempts

The trick is to just crouch and slowly walk off while looking at the ledge your trying to land on, works every time.

Just be wary about leechs showing up down there and worse, the little bit of garbage behind the chest that can trap you if you jump in the middle of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I feel like the general rule should be if you gently caress up getting a grim once, especially if it causes damage, it should just be skipped for that run.

Redundant posted:

I had a run of Convocation of Decay where 2 people went down to hordes whilst Sienna failed the jump puzzle. When I asked if the grim was worth it I got the inevitable scorn before we handily wiped during the circle stage. Fun times. I'm sure scrap will become useful but for now I just want to boost my item level whatever the colour. Risking runs for scrap seems like weird prioritisation.
Same.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how the hell do i get a closed helm for kruber? i know they exist in game

There's only one, the drop rate is absolutely loving absurd to the point where you shouldn't ever expect to get it, and it is also hideous.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Vargs posted:

There's only one, the drop rate is absolutely loving absurd to the point where you shouldn't ever expect to get it, and it is also hideous.

I can't decide if that's just genuinely bad or ironically good

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

7c Nickel posted:

CAT-FONDLERS!

Hahah do Skaven seriously call us this in game? If so let me second Digirat that they are the most interesting and fun videogame mooks I've ever killed by the thousands.

I think the blame for all the bad jump-puzzle grims lays squarely at Fatshark's feet. Players who buy in to horse poo poo game design (in this case, time-wasters who won't let the puzzles go) are symptoms but the game designer is the cause and should be blamed first and foremost. I liked the idea of moving all jump-puzzle grims to be extremely easy to walk to but either built to soak up precious time between hordes or guarded by like four Chaos Warriors.

And finally gently caress every shieldvermin right in its loving dongliz! Those things are so MISERABLE to put up with FATSHARK PLZ

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vargs posted:

This made me look up some of the other hats currently in the game and goddamn, they're all loving hideous.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like the Saltzpyre twisting mid-air in the background.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

All of them are terrible, please give us more hats and specifically let me wear a wreath of flowers again

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Roll slayer or handmaiden or zealot and you can slop it by using the leap / charge to cross the gap.

This specifically does not work with SIR KRUBER because his charge takes too long to start up and its not near as fast.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Skypie posted:

Skittergate isn't quite as bad since they've cleaned up a lot of the bugs, but it's still kind of a slog. Boss missions need to give something extra and Skittergate should probably reward double boxes or something.

What bugs happen on Skittlegate?

And I agree that the reward for completeing it should be somewhat higher than other missions, which would lead to everyone constantly grinding it but right now the XP you get just doesn't feel equal to the work required to finish it.

The RNG gift should at least be more on average.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

What bugs happen on Skittlegate?

And I agree that the reward for completeing it should be somewhat higher than other missions, which would lead to everyone constantly grinding it but right now the XP you get just doesn't feel equal to the work required to finish it.

The RNG gift should at least be more on average.

Going through the portal used to wipe out all your passives and talent choices. The mid-boss would occasionally split into two Spawns of Chaos. The last boss was way tougher and more specials would spawn into the arena, making it extremely difficult to focus on the boss consistently.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ignite Memories posted:

All of them are terrible, please give us more hats and specifically let me wear a wreath of flowers again

I think a lot of them are just not enabled yet. I remember seeing some hats that are not in the game in the launch trailer (like Pirate Slayer or Knight of the Burning Sun Sir Kruber), also the frames. I wonder if it's another :fatshark: or stuff that's coming with DLC down the line.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 2, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just to be clear, you eventually start only getting level 300 items, right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Just to be clear, you eventually start only getting level 300 items, right?
I don't see how you would. You should still have the variation around the highest max seen HP that you normally would. But at that point, you should have enough scrap that when you do get a 300HP item of the type you want, you should just go ahead and upgrade it to orange instead of continuing to try for orange 300 HP items.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Arghy posted:

There's not knowing where the books are but holy poo poo when your in my game and refuse to pick up a loving tome/grim when i'm pinging the loving thing your getting kicked before we finish the game. It was a vet game where i was leveling up my alts and 2 dudes would not pick up the loving tome--one started bitching that if i wanted a heal then i shouldn't carry the tome. I've never encountered such stupidity before haha like assholes you're going to get more exp/better loot why would you not pick up the 3rd tome.

You're a piece of poo poo, I bet you do it near the end too.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Everything in Saltz's kit sucks for can-opening detail in the beta and its completely inverted his usefulness relative to the other characters, and now I'm seeing where folk are coming from with ranged not really being diminished relative to everything else with the new/correct scaling. The cleave is what it is, but losing the Super Stagger on axe and to a lesser extent falchion reeeaaalllly sucks. Not being able to interrupt the Overhead Ice Skate or shove a berserker out of their animation just makes me wanna level an alt. At least 300ish HP waywatcher still has a built in trueflight for free, y'know?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I don't see how you would. You should still have the variation around the highest max seen HP that you normally would. But at that point, you should have enough scrap that when you do get a 300HP item of the type you want, you should just go ahead and upgrade it to orange instead of continuing to try for orange 300 HP items.

I figured item levels increased beyond 300 behind the scenes, but I guess not.

Duck and Cover posted:

You can expect people to pick up tomes. All that does is make your healing potentially less efficient. Grims are a different matter.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

What? How is there any reason to not pick up tomes? They cost you basically nothing except maybe a few seconds to grab.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

What? How is there any reason to not pick up tomes? They cost you basically nothing except maybe a few seconds to grab.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/977858805538152448

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's been a while for Vet and Recruit, but on Champ you're pretty much "storing" heals in your actual health bar than your inventory thanks to damage being a bit crazy and item spawns being low. Just get those tomes, most people appreciate the loot being at least Merchant's/Soldier's.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hmmm doesnt everyone here know that pubs are garbage players all the time and goons are the epitome of gaming perfection in every game ever released?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Madcosby posted:

hmmm doesnt everyone here know that pubs are garbage players all the time and goons are the epitome of gaming perfection in every game ever released?

Realtalk: I bounced into a pub beta champion game last night where I was playing handmaiden and when I bounced in the only other player in the keep was a slayer. I legit almost dropped out right then and there but I figured what the hell I'll see it through. Players 3 and 4 when they joined in were a zealot and a knight so we legit had no ranged specced people. It was one of the single most successful runs I've had on the beta build, goons or no goons. Everyone was on point covering each other. We had a good mix of melee weapons with slayer axes and zealot hatchet for can opening, executioner sword and elf greatsword for sweeping hordes, and a hagbane / volley crossbow for clowning on bosses. Everyone was mindful about firing lines and we were good about staying clear when me or the zealot were mag dumping into a horde. Everyone knew what their capabilities were and played to their strengths very well. We stormed through Convocation of Decay so easily that this is one of the few pub groups I didn't immediately drop party after finishing and we went and ran again.

As an aside: In the beta patch I'm really, really liking the elf greatsword. It has troubles dealing with chaos warriors but it cleans house on pretty much anything else with ease. Even with the beta nerfed cleave, the light attack still trucks through hordes at an obscene rate and the strong attacks work great at poking stormvermin in the face.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DeathSandwich posted:

As an aside: In the beta patch I'm really, really liking the elf greatsword. It has troubles dealing with chaos warriors but it cleans house on pretty much anything else with ease. Even with the beta nerfed cleave, the light attack still trucks through hordes at an obscene rate and the strong attacks work great at poking stormvermin in the face.
That seems in line with what they intend. The 2her wide arc weapons are supposed to be no questions asked cleave city.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

pick up every grim and tome, cowards

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

You can expect people to pick up tomes. All that does is make your healing potentially less efficient. Grims are a different matter.

Phlegmish posted:

You seem to completely miss where my issue lies which I think it's more a failure on your part than it is on me not being clear. It's the kicking for stupid issues that makes him a piece of poo poo.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Arghy is right

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kicking people is a cool and okay thing to do for good reason.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know you don't have to make playing games shittier? Like so what kill rats. Oh no you might not get as good of loot and that is after all the point of video games.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm lucky and almost always play with my coworker who got me into VT1 so i'm guaranteed 1 good player every match. We regularly do full tome/grim runs on champion and have tried a few times on legend but special spam always steals a grim from us. If your struggling on a difficulty to the point that picking up a grim/tome is a problem then you should either get good by learning about game mechanics or play a lower difficulty. If you jump in my champion game where 3 players are willing and able to get full tomes and grims then yeah you should vocalize that you can't survive so we'll either have a choice of carrying you or asking you to leave. We've carried a ton of people in champion, if you're cool about it then we won't kick you but if your cocky or silent while going down constantly then we'll likely disband the group after the match.

I can make most grim puzzle jumps in 1-2 tries now and i always try to save my grim slot for the hardest one so i don't have to watch 3 people struggle to make the empire in flames jump. I can't make the hard puzzle jump if none of you loving mooks will pick up the first grim because you want potions to get green circles. I've literally asked for 3 minutes straight before for someone else to get the first grim in EiF so i could do the puzzle jump but no one was listening so i got the first grim. All of the sudden the runs going great so now they want the 2nd grim and are fighting because its taking to long.

In the same vein if i'm taking it on myself to get the hard grim and carry a tome you had better loving return the gesture by getting a tome. There's a vote kick system for a reason and if i ask you politely to get the tome and you give me enough sass then yeah i'm going to do something mean like kicking you near the end of the level. Why would you speed run champion where the entire reason is to get emp chests for reds?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I got a flail at a way higher power than anything else I had, so gave it a try since I didn't have the scrap handy to make a rapier or falchion to match it.

I think I'm in love. The heavy sweeps clear waves of just about any composition short of having a couple stormvermin in them. And even then, BH can just point and delete an enemy, if it's trouble.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Arghy posted:

I'm lucky and almost always play with my coworker who got me into VT1 so i'm guaranteed 1 good player every match. We regularly do full tome/grim runs on champion and have tried a few times on legend but special spam always steals a grim from us. If your struggling on a difficulty to the point that picking up a grim/tome is a problem then you should either get good by learning about game mechanics or play a lower difficulty. If you jump in my champion game where 3 players are willing and able to get full tomes and grims then yeah you should vocalize that you can't survive so we'll either have a choice of carrying you or asking you to leave. We've carried a ton of people in champion, if you're cool about it then we won't kick you but if your cocky or silent while going down constantly then we'll likely disband the group after the match.

I can make most grim puzzle jumps in 1-2 tries now and i always try to save my grim slot for the hardest one so i don't have to watch 3 people struggle to make the empire in flames jump. I can't make the hard puzzle jump if none of you loving mooks will pick up the first grim because you want potions to get green circles. I've literally asked for 3 minutes straight before for someone else to get the first grim in EiF so i could do the puzzle jump but no one was listening so i got the first grim. All of the sudden the runs going great so now they want the 2nd grim and are fighting because its taking to long.

In the same vein if i'm taking it on myself to get the hard grim and carry a tome you had better loving return the gesture by getting a tome. There's a vote kick system for a reason and if i ask you politely to get the tome and you give me enough sass then yeah i'm going to do something mean like kicking you near the end of the level. Why would you speed run champion where the entire reason is to get emp chests for reds?

I play with pubs pretty much exclusively and yes you are the rear end in a top hat. Oh and the whole VT1 thing? I played legendary there with pubs too. Well not mainly that was at the end of my time playing. (I don't think I beat the last map in vanilla VT1 with them though I don't really remember. You care more about your increased chance of better loot then you do about fun and that clearly is a you issue. Heh I'll show that guy I'm gonna kick him for having the nerve to not do as I say!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 3, 2018

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

i refuse to believe notoriously bad at video games poster duck and cover has ever completed a vt1 map on cata

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I just ask whether or not people want grims. I try to stay away from more than 1 on setpiece boss maps unless everyone else is eager to. Works pretty well even though I would prefer 3t2g all times, but like whatever it's just some video game loot.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

You seem to completely miss where my issue lies which I think it's more a failure on your part than it is on me not being clear. It's the kicking for stupid issues that makes him a piece of poo poo.

The fundamental object of the game is literally to see how many books you can hold while still clearing the level. One way to determine this is by asking around about everyone's level of involvement with words like a human. If you're not on board with that, then you do not actually like the Vermintide game and should play something else.

Kalsco posted:

I just ask whether or not people want grims. I try to stay away from more than 1 on setpiece boss maps unless everyone else is eager to. Works pretty well even though I would prefer 3t2g all times, but like whatever it's just some video game loot.

Same, in both games I have rarely found a situation that wasn't resolved by either saying something or by allowing rush intervention to finish the job the individual's W key began.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 2, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

At which hero power level does it become more feasible to just craft what you want instead of relying on boxes

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

At which hero power level does it become more feasible to just craft what you want instead of relying on boxes

Whenever you have the scrap for it and you want something. FWIW I've had kinda crappy luck trying to craft 300's though. Lotta 297s! No 300s yet, its been all boxes for them.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I just book it to grab the grims myself and then ditch them at the slightest sign the run might be in trouble. Usually during the heat of combat so I don't get bitched at for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheRagamuffin posted:

I got a flail at a way higher power than anything else I had, so gave it a try since I didn't have the scrap handy to make a rapier or falchion to match it.

I think I'm in love. The heavy sweeps clear waves of just about any composition short of having a couple stormvermin in them. And even then, BH can just point and delete an enemy, if it's trouble.

I don't really much like the flail. The wind up for charged attack has weird timing that I have trouble timing out in my mind for some reason. I wind up eating a lot of poo poo because I expect the charge attack should be coming out faster than it actually does (an aside, but I have this exact same complaint about the fire sword, it's an awful long wind up for the charged attack that doesn't really pay off as well as you would expect). As far as an all purpose gently caress the world weapon goes, it's not really as good as a falchion with exception of stomping shieldvermin like punks, but it doesn't really penetrate shield until the 3rd and 4th hit in the chain anyways, which is where you'd be if you were just wailing on them with a falchion or axe to begin with. The Greatsword and Rapier are better horde sweepers, with the Rapier being legit actually kind of decent busting harder targets with the charged attack.