Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hexyflexy posted:

Happy easter - it'll get you drunk and is also a bomb!

Revised: Added more booze, better bioavailability & small chance of cyanide production.

Is this a thing that exists, as in someone put it into a paper?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Asking for a friend.

I don't think so. This is just what happens when drunk goons discover molecule structure drawing tools.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

iospace posted:

IANAC, but for comparison, the descriptors in my previous post were all for compounds with 3 nitrogens in a row (Ooh, I missed this azideism: "- Various devastating explosions were reported while reaction mixtures were being concentrated). Tetrazine has 4, and is used to make contact explosives more sensitive. So 25 in a row...

ps. I just learned a new word.. explosophore!

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Apparently "tetrazine" is also the name of some totally unrelated bullshit diet supplement. Dietpillsworld.com (a great domain name) says "If you are contemplating on trying Tetrazene, have a discussion with your physician first and do not incorrectly purchase the explosive component." which is a good premise for a cautionary tale.

Speaking of ideas for cautionary tales, I can't access the paper but the reference stub for Is Hexazine Stable? is almost a work of art in itself. The rhetorical-sounding question, big asterisk, dedication, lack of abstract... if you put "(May 13, 1921 – May 13, 1981)" after Professor Heilbronner's name it would be a research chemistry equivalent of "Baby Shoes".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Is that the indicator that is also the least bad denaturant for ethanol?

Phenolpthalein is the one that gives you the screaming liquid shits if you ingest it, I thought that was the joke he was making.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Syd Midnight posted:

Apparently "tetrazine" is also the name of some totally unrelated bullshit diet supplement.

Invite your foes over for a hearty meal of chicken tetrazine

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phanatic posted:

Phenolpthalein is the one that gives you the screaming liquid shits if you ingest it, I thought that was the joke he was making.

Phenolpthalein was Ex-Lax until they changed the formulation, so yeah.

However, a good thing to put in drinks is Methylene Blue. In acidic mixtures (most mixed alcoholic beverages) it's clear. In basic solutions (like urine) it's vibrant blue. It's also removed from the blood by the kidneys unchanged. Depending on hydration level, you can have someone pissing near-fluorescent green.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Phenolpthalein was Ex-Lax until they changed the formulation, so yeah.

However, a good thing to put in drinks is Methylene Blue. In acidic mixtures (most mixed alcoholic beverages) it's clear. In basic solutions (like urine) it's vibrant blue. It's also removed from the blood by the kidneys unchanged. Depending on hydration level, you can have someone pissing near-fluorescent green.

It's also completely safe. No side effects other than pissing, making GBS threads and sweating blue or green.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Intoluene posted:

It's also completely safe. No side effects other than pissing, making GBS threads and sweating blue or green.

Reminds of an old frat party trick of putting bromthymol blue in someone's drink when they weren't looking. It had no effect other than turning the guy's piss bright green.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The dye in some brands of licorice jelly beans turns your poo poo green if you eat enough of them.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Since I was a wee goonling of ten years, my birthday cake has been a tie dyed one. Split white batter into five parts, dye each a different color, plop random blobs into the pans and give a quick swirl.

Enjoy.*

*And enjoy the green poop the following day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Beets

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Please don't put laboratory chemicals in people's food. It's probably most certainly totally safe but there's still a chance something nasty snuck in somewhere between production and dude's coffee.

Ok PSA mode over.

Making pee different colors is funny poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I'm doing some research on a ~molecule of interest~ for my senior independent research requirement and here's a molecule you may be interested to know:

This is resiniferatoxin or RTX. It's produced in a family of cacti, and is not to be confused with the RTX family of bacterial toxins which are large proteins not small organic molecules. This is the most potent TRPV1 agonist known. TRPV1 is a sensory protein present in a few types of neuron in the body but it's mostly known as a heat and pain sensor in peripheral neurons. Capsaicin is probably the most well-known TRPV1 agonist followed by vanillin. The selectivity of these agonists gives them some interesting uses beyond causing pain.

Anyway, the aromatic head group on the right is what does the business of opening the calcium channel in the sensory neuron protein it targets. But the big polycyclic group on the left is what makes it 500 times more potent than capsaicin. Capsaicinoids bind to a nonpolar cavity in the protein's structure with their aliphatic tail. RTX does not have an aliphatic tail so much as a big squishy pile of nonpolar rings, which fit tightly into the nonpolar cavity and stick in there real good.

At relatively low doses this obviously sucks to run into, but in very small doses it can actually desensitize the TRPV1-bearing neurons without firing the neurons, so it can be used as an analgesic. In higher doses it will kill these neurons so it's an interesting option for alleviating long-term neuropathic pain. For example if you inject it into a burning/stinging joint it will selectively kill only the neurons that carry the TRPV1 protein so motor neurons are unaffected.

Of course you guys are probably interested in hearing about this because getting it in your eyes/mucous membranes is gonna give you a horrible experience. It's doesn't permeate membranes as easily as capsaicin though. Don't put this in people's food either.

TRPV1 antagonists exist but they can't be administered internally because TRPV1 is involved in thermoregulation in the brain stem.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phanatic posted:

We were making the same joke from dirrefernt ends, as it were. As my Chem 101 teaher explained, phenylpthalien is the non-gentle laxative that modern gentle laxatives compare themselves to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Magnesium Citrate is the laxative all gentle laxatives should compare themselves to.

About once a year I have to take it, and all I remember from the experiences are flashes of light, the crack of a gunshot, and the sound of breaking porcelain falling on a tile floor.

I wake up three days later, a new man, fit and lean, with a shock of grey hair.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Magnesium Citrate is the laxative all gentle laxatives should compare themselves to.

About once a year I have to take it, and all I remember from the experiences are flashes of light, the crack of a gunshot, and the sound of breaking porcelain falling on a tile floor.

Eat some veggies every now and then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's not the issue. It's for other medical stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mustached Demon posted:

Eat some veggies every now and then.

Veggies are what food eats. :clint:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's not the issue. It's for other medical stuff.

Ah I was thinking you poop annually with a massive, toilet-punishing blast worthy of the most OHNO compounds.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like the guy in the Yoshi's Island 2 ad (warning, NSFL), yes.

Also wait Paul Rudd was in a SNES ad? What? (saw in related videos on the side)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Plus it's usually dirt cheap, but a little will go a long way, don't overdo (heh) if you can help it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Like the guy in the Yoshi's Island 2 ad (warning, NSFL), yes.

Also wait Paul Rudd was in a SNES ad? What? (saw in related videos on the side)

Aw, Tony Jay. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Intoluene posted:

It is bioactive, however, so you might lose your blue skin.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey I'm doing some research on a ~molecule of interest~ for my senior independent research requirement and here's a molecule you may be interested to know:

This is resiniferatoxin or RTX. It's produced in a family of cacti, and is not to be confused with the RTX family of bacterial toxins which are large proteins not small organic molecules. This is the most potent TRPV1 agonist known. TRPV1 is a sensory protein present in a few types of neuron in the body but it's mostly known as a heat and pain sensor in peripheral neurons. Capsaicin is probably the most well-known TRPV1 agonist followed by vanillin. The selectivity of these agonists gives them some interesting uses beyond causing pain.

Anyway, the aromatic head group on the right is what does the business of opening the calcium channel in the sensory neuron protein it targets. But the big polycyclic group on the left is what makes it 500 times more potent than capsaicin. Capsaicinoids bind to a nonpolar cavity in the protein's structure with their aliphatic tail. RTX does not have an aliphatic tail so much as a big squishy pile of nonpolar rings, which fit tightly into the nonpolar cavity and stick in there real good.

At relatively low doses this obviously sucks to run into, but in very small doses it can actually desensitize the TRPV1-bearing neurons without firing the neurons, so it can be used as an analgesic. In higher doses it will kill these neurons so it's an interesting option for alleviating long-term neuropathic pain. For example if you inject it into a burning/stinging joint it will selectively kill only the neurons that carry the TRPV1 protein so motor neurons are unaffected.

Of course you guys are probably interested in hearing about this because getting it in your eyes/mucous membranes is gonna give you a horrible experience. It's doesn't permeate membranes as easily as capsaicin though. Don't put this in people's food either.

TRPV1 antagonists exist but they can't be administered internally because TRPV1 is involved in thermoregulation in the brain stem.

So from time to time I've wondered about capsaicin creams as a remedy for pain. Is capsaicin up to something similar?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it can desensitize that particular nerve channel.

Capsaicin taken internally is also a weight loss supplement because it desensitizes the body to hyperthermy to a small degree.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All I know is I love capsaicin to a probably unhealthy degree.

Which totally isn't evidenced by the bottle of ghost pepper sauce in the kitchen. Nope, totally not.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

iospace posted:

All I know is I love capsaicin to a probably unhealthy degree.

Which totally isn't evidenced by the bottle of ghost pepper sauce in the kitchen. Nope, totally not.
I'm growing datil peppers and when left to ripen on the vine those babies get into dangerous chemistry territory.

I highly recommend them if you're in a warm climate or you have a good indoor spot for them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nth Doctor posted:

So from time to time I've wondered about capsaicin creams as a remedy for pain. Is capsaicin up to something similar?

I have serious arthritis and every month go to the doctor to get local anesthetic injected, and then ridiculously high concentrations of capsaicin cream spread on my joints to stun the nerves (without the local I would be in agony until the numbing effect takes place).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have serious arthritis and every month go to the doctor to get local anesthetic injected, and then ridiculously high concentrations of capsaicin cream spread on my joints to stun the nerves (without the local I would be in agony until the numbing effect takes place).

The moments when capsaicin cream pain kicks in and before the nerves get numb are really not great, I have to admit.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The last time I used a capsaicin patch for some neck pain it felt really good, right up until I realized I had literally burned a big chunk of my neck (not sure if it was a chemical burn or what but it wasn't fun).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I do know that back in the day (as in, 50-100 years ago), one home 'cure' for rheumatism was hitting the affected parts of the body with freshly picked stinging nettles.

You see, the pain caused by rheumatism is so horrible that the pain caused by the nettles is preferable, and somehow the pain of the nettles overwhelmed the pain of the rheuma.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I do know that back in the day (as in, 50-100 years ago), one home 'cure' for rheumatism was hitting the affected parts of the body with freshly picked stinging nettles.

You see, the pain caused by rheumatism is so horrible that the pain caused by the nettles is preferable, and somehow the pain of the nettles overwhelmed the pain of the rheuma.

The Major Pain method of local anesthesia

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I gave capsaicin a go for treating psoriasis. Oh boy did that not really help.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carbon dioxide posted:

Still worked in tests in 2000:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/771563.stm

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ulmont posted:

The moments when capsaicin cream pain kicks in and before the nerves get numb are really not great, I have to admit.

Tried making my own hot sauce once. Spent an hour finely mincing habaneros. Didn't wear gloves, but was careful not to rub my eyes. I expected the burning to become unbearable and force me to stop, but it didn't and at the end of it my hands weren't burning anymore, just... pleasantly tingly. Not precisely numb as much as warm and buzzy, like my hands were taking some awesome painkillers that only affected them. Weird feeling but kinda nice, it persisted even after I scrubbed them clean with soap, and I saw how capsaicin can have analgesic use.

Then a half hour later I casually scratched my balls, and saw how capsaicin can also have comedic timing. Some chemicals love a good punchline.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Carbon dioxide posted:

Stinging nettles are interesting. To stop the pain, my grandpa taught me to take a nettle leaf and rub the area very aggressively. It pulls out the little hairs and the pain goes away. Either that, or it over-doses you on the poison and you stop feeling it.

Either way, it works.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have used nettles when I was out camping and my left hand completely felt like somebody was pounding on it with a sledgehammer. They do work.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Makes me wonder if it works the same way with the Gympie Gympie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha cool a potent neurotoxin that is also a chemo drug.