Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought it was supposed to be about Jesus, even though that makes no sense now that I think about it.

Either way, that's the kind of r/atheism sass I can get behind. Go Kerillian, more of that comedy banter! (and less mayfly/lumberfoot bullshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I have been playing ranger veteran bardin recently and I have to ask: is the talent that increases the duration of his career skill stealth supposed to remove the requirement of staying in the cloud?
I assume it is because the tooltip does not mention it and running around smacking rats while invisible seems way too strong. Then again, talents in the game are all over the place, so who knows.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Schnitzler posted:

I have been playing ranger veteran bardin recently and I have to ask: is the talent that increases the duration of his career skill stealth supposed to remove the requirement of staying in the cloud?
I assume it is because the tooltip does not mention it and running around smacking rats while invisible seems way too strong. Then again, talents in the game are all over the place, so who knows.

This is what I sussed out, yeah, from playing Doomdwarf. IMO it's perfect as it is, considering that enemies can still hit you while you're in stealth, so it really is a flanking tool and not something you pop to facetank a horde.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Eh, I dunno, I've definitely played with elves who never ran out of ammo the whole mission even though they arrowed all trash from a mile away.

It doesn’t, as in “It doesn’t change between champion and legendary”. I’ve also played with plenty of BH with infinite ammo.

I think the ammo on crit traits need to go.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Arghy posted:

Oh god the ammo regen is the worst of the 3 just wait until 25 then you can get back 20% of your ammo every time you trigger your ult and you never run out of ammo. Considering the improved regen will still only take you to 50% the group regen+regen necklace is hands down the best combo. You and everyone in the group will always be around 50% hp's and the regen necklace will take over once you get above 50%.

I'm still not convinced. The Waystalker's ult is a very valuable tool in some situations and not something to squander. Taking that level 25 talent encourages you to use it strictly on cooldown, which is seriously not ideal, and it means you're not taking the 30% CD reduction talent, which is also not ideal.

There's also the issue of ammo throughput. Even if you are tossing out Trueflights on cooldown you're still only getting 8 longbow/16 swiftbow shots every 90 seconds. That's far less than you'd get from the ammo regen talent and will often not be sustainable on the harder difficulties.

quote:

This is also why i hate most elf players who don't understand that they should never be using their ranged weapon unless its sniping elites and specials.

Imagine using your bow against everything with impunity -- specials, elites, random loitering mooks, wiping out entire hordes streaming towards you, bosses, everything. That's what I do when I play Kerillian with the ammo regen talent, and I think the lowest I've ever dropped my ammo reserves to is around 25%.

edit: Welp, never mind. I just tested this talent and apparently it's bugged/mislabeled. It doesn't restore 20% of your ammo, it restores 50% + 1 shot of your ammo per Trueflight use. This changes my calculus entirely.

Node posted:

My favorite line in the game is when Saltzpyre accuses Bardin of treachery when he lets a chaos spawn eat him.

*Saltzpyre wiffs a bomb*
Bardin: "Careful, there. Can't afford to waste those."
Saltzpyre: "Do not lecture me, dwarf."
Bardin: "Don't bloody miss then, Grimgi!"

Magitek fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 3, 2018

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just had a really fun experience. Jumped into a recruit quick play on my level 13 Kruber Foot Knight and got dropped into a game with 3 level one players. It was really fun to carry them through the mission and keep pulling their asses out of the fire. I'm actually surprised at how tense it was at times, but with a horde spawning at the same time as we fought both bosses on the level, it was actually a fair bit of a challenge, and felt like an accomplishment to get everyone safely to the end of the map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope they keep in the bug where after you do heroic deeds with increased horde spawns it sticks around in future games, it's fun trying to punch through the endless rats and hordes arriving halfway through dealing with a ambush and then clearing both of them for 3 minutes and having a new ambush pop up 10 seconds later.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Magitek posted:

*Saltzpyre wiffs a bomb*
Bardin: "Careful, there. Can't afford to waste those."
Saltzpyre: "Do not lecture me, dwarf."
Bardin: "Don't bloody miss then, Grimgi!"

The "Bomb miss" quotes are both hilarious and awful, because when you hear one you know you really DID gently caress up and deserve to be chastized. I think I managed to toss one directly OVER a stormvermin patrol once, and Kerillian promptly goes something along the lines of - in this really incredulous tone - "You missed EVERY ONE of them!? Did you make much money as a professional soldier, Kruber?"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The one where she's on the receiving end is pretty good, too. She misses, someone owns her, and she says something like 'I'm never touching one of those filthy things again' in this petulant voice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Backhand posted:

The "Bomb miss" quotes are both hilarious and awful, because when you hear one you know you really DID gently caress up and deserve to be chastized. I think I managed to toss one directly OVER a stormvermin patrol once, and Kerillian promptly goes something along the lines of - in this really incredulous tone - "You missed EVERY ONE of them!? Did you make much money as a professional soldier, Kruber?"

Kruber: "Maybe I'll throw the next one at your head!"
Bardin: "Go ahead, then you might actually hit a raki!"

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I had a neat pair of games yesterday as Waystalker, hopped in a Champion QP game with spear/swiftbow and started off down, which, eh. Happens. The rest of the team caught up and got me up and we had a pretty decent run, despite having an extremely shy chaos spawn in the basement in Empire In Flames. Like, he walked away from us to hop back up, then met us at the staircase out near tome 2.

After the game, the Saltzpyre was impressed that I wasn't a terrible pub elf like most of the ones he plays with. I didn't even play particularly well, I got killed by the spawn. I just stuck together and played the team game :unsmith:

We ran another game on Against The Grain and I went around pretty much only firing at hordes, specials, and enemies that would be in the way of where we were going. No need to fire at groups you don't need to fight, surprisingly. We won and it was easy and everyone was happy :v:

Teamwork makes the dream work. Also, plenty of time breaking into Legend as Slayer teaches you to get good at melee and dealing with specials real fast. Even ran like 3 back-to-back successful runs with one pub group.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Re: Ammo talents for kerillian

Unless you are literally longbowing every single rat you don't really need the l25 +ammo on trueflight talent, the passive ammo regen is more than enough to sustain if you keep longbow shots for specials, elites, bosses, and piercing hordes if you get a clean shot. You can still spam longbows into hordes or bosses with impunity and never have to pick up ammo. The arcane bodkins talent makes charged longbow shots on stuff like stormfiends and trolls ridiculous, too

30% cooldown off trueflight and nail every pair of Shieldvermin or pack of berserkers. Glaive fixes the rest.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 3, 2018

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I hope they keep in the bug where after you do heroic deeds with increased horde spawns it sticks around in future games, it's fun trying to punch through the endless rats and hordes arriving halfway through dealing with a ambush and then clearing both of them for 3 minutes and having a new ambush pop up 10 seconds later.

This happened to my group last night. We did an increased hoard on vet and then did a champion qp on hunger in the dark and it was constant hoards

Was a lot of fun and as sienna I had like 700 kills

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Meanwhile, in Legend.

https://i.imgur.com/6qw0m5n.gifv

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I love the one at the end who seems to be lumbering along behind trying to catch up to everyone but his legs are just a liiitttllle bit shorter.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

I really enjoy how there's just that one trailing behind.

e:f;b

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

p good gif showing why the overhead has more range than you think it does

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The first mod I want for Vermintide 2 is for Bardin to constantly yell as Slayer when he has three stacks of trophy hunter

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Drythe posted:

p good gif showing why the overhead has more range than you think it does

yeah skating sure as gently caress ain't fixed

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The first mod I want for Vermintide 2 is for Bardin to constantly yell as Slayer when he has three stacks of trophy hunter

Replace the sound of shooting an arrow with LUMBERFOOTS

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Replace the sound of shooting an arrow with LUMBERFOOTS

Rat voice for elf
Elf voice for all rats

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Fishstick posted:

Rat voice for elf
Elf voice for all rats

Fatshark hire this Goon

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Something about the way sienna says "healing draught" always gets the 'lisa needs braces' + 'dental plan' loop stuck in my head

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Is there a reason to ever play witch hunter over BH or zealot? The crit bonuses for the team seem trivial compared to "machine gun everything, rapidly kill bosses, ROAR MIGHTY DUO!" and "take a little damage, kill everything".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, and Zealot is actually broken right now. BH is the clear winner.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I have no idea how people are doing so good at champ and legend. My friend and I always do poorly.

I think I spam dodge too much when fighting hordes, but I don't know how to make sure they don't hit me back.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Skeleton King posted:

I have no idea how people are doing so good at champ and legend. My friend and I always do poorly.

I think I spam dodge too much when fighting hordes, but I don't know how to make sure they don't hit me back.

You're probably doing what I did, which was dodging everything in Recruit and Veteran and never blocking. Dodging isn't as effective as blocking for hordes because you want to give up as little ground as possible and it won't save you from being flanked, and in Champion that starts to come into play hard. For now, get in the habit of holding block all the time during hordes, even if no one is around. Only swing at enemies that aren't winding up to hit you, otherwise block and shove and chop them while they're down. It's an overly-conservative playstyle but the important part is to teach when you need to block and when you're free to attack. I found that loud CLANK from blocking something to be much more noticeable and useful for learning to block than taking damage.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, I honestly barely dodge at all when fighting hordes. It doesn't make that much difference except to help make sure you aren't surrounded. Just slash into the horde, and when it looks like you're about to get hit, block and shove, repeat shove a few times in various directions if necessary to create some breathing room, then start slashing again.

You will probably still go down at least once if you're playing one of the squishier classes, but that's why you have an Ironbreaker and/or Kruber on your team. This is a game where the same player can easily be carried or get dragged down simply based on the quality of the rest of the team.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Dodging can be useful in certain situations. It helps Kruber maintain rhythm with his warhammer, and if you time it correctly, it'll get you away from leeches, assassins, and hookrats. That said, it does also reset the timer on your stamina regeneration so keep that in mind. If you're low on stamina and dodge, you're delaying when your stamina will come back and put yourself in a worse position.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Always be blocking if you're not swinging, because the "skating" people talk about results in you getting hit by things that it doesn't seem like you should get hit by. You shrug these off on Recruit/Veteran, but Champ+ you can get chunked hard.

Also, one of my big adjustments going to Champ+ was dodging overhead smashes. You want to avoid eating these with blocks, because:

1) Stormvermin/Maulers/Chaos Warriors will knock off all of your stamina with an overhead blow
2) Most of the overhead smashes from bosses do AoE damage in addition to the direct damage, so you'll get blasted anyway

Thanks to the wonders of skating, it's really, really hard to backstep these attacks. However, I've found it super forgiving to sidestep them instead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Phlegmish posted:

Zealot is (mostly) fixed on the beta patch and actually quite a lot of fun now. Swift Slaying still seems inconsistent but IMO SS and Off Balance are basically the only weapon traits worth having anyway.

Man though, I went back to live last night after playing nothing but beta and it's like going back to small child's baby mode in a way that I'm kind of not super happy with. I miss actually having to block and make smart decisions about shoving and hitstuns. Being able to drakegun an entire stormvermin patrol in a narrow hallway to keep them permanently stunlocked is something that probably shouldn't happen. Berserkers are kind of a nonissue if you see them coming on live because once you get above 500 hero power basically everything stuns them out of their attacks with anything vs them being a legit challenge/actually having to block them on beta. I think that last one in particular is what fucks with people who are use to curbstomping champion the most.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dodging sideways is unreliable because enemies track worse than dark souls 2 enemies when the feeling takes them (I have been reviving someone behind roger just to have him retarget and instantly 180 noscope me with a slam at the same time, killing me). Dodging backwards is unreliable because this is a first person game, which means judging your hitbox is hard and awkward due to field of view adjustments making you look like you’re further away than you actually are (and also because every last non-special enemy was given running attacks to spam now)

I really don’t think they considered these things when designing parts of this game

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 3, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Zealot is (mostly) fixed on the beta patch and actually quite a lot of fun now. Swift Slaying still seems inconsistent but IMO SS and Off Balance are basically the only weapon traits worth having anyway.

Man though, I went back to live last night after playing nothing but beta and it's like going back to small child's baby mode in a way that I'm kind of not super happy with. I miss actually having to block and make smart decisions about shoving and hitstuns. Being able to drakegun an entire stormvermin patrol in a narrow hallway to keep them permanently stunlocked is something that probably shouldn't happen. Berserkers are kind of a nonissue if you see them coming on live because once you get above 500 hero power basically everything stuns them out of their attacks with anything vs them being a legit challenge/actually having to block them on beta. I think that last one in particular is what fucks with people who are use to curbstomping champion the most.

I kinda like Resourceful Combatant or whatever on Kruber's halberd as foot knight since it helps the charge come up faster, and if I'm using halberd, I tend to rely heavily on the infinite block talent at 25 instead of having 7 stamina and 30% block cost reduction with a sword/shield. Otherwise, yeah, Off Balance is fantastic

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dodging doesn't do much for hordes but is essential for the boss fights. Theoretically you can dodge all of their attacks but I've always found their hitboxes to be way bigger than they look, so a combination of blocking while dodging can get you through a boss fight with minimal damage. It's super double-plus important for the Chaos Spawn fight because you really, really, really need to dodge his grab, which isn't hard to do but ruins everyone's day if you don't.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It doesn't make that much difference except to help make sure you aren't surrounded.
i mean this is phrased such that this isn't helpful but getting surrounded during a horde is guaranteed death so

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

If you hold block while you join an in-progress game, and your character is already dead as you join, you get snake-kerillian.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

BH helmet is ugly as sin, playing Witch Hunter Captain is a moral imperative.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i mean this is phrased such that this isn't helpful but getting surrounded during a horde is guaranteed death so

That's where the frantic shoving comes in

I do need to get better at dodging, but due to the reasons enumerated by Digirat it's been hard to integrate into my muscle memory. It often seems unreliable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

have there been any further murmurings about when fatshark plans to transition the beta branch into the full release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

have there been any further murmurings about when fatshark plans to transition the beta branch into the full release?

nothing concrete yet.