Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Also Algernon may also be a Free Spirit.

I thought we established that he is The Wizard Who Did It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Absinthe is obviously a green fairy. :v:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Fighting Trousers posted:

I thought we established that he is The Wizard Who Smugly Did It.
You missed a word. I fixed it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:stonk:

That's good poo poo

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...really, Big Head Mode's not bad, at least for these noncombat times. It's a nice look at a little bit of sprite that was done in pretty good detail.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Glazius posted:

...really, Big Head Mode's not bad, at least for these noncombat times. It's a nice look at a little bit of sprite that was done in pretty good detail.
Yeah, I never really noticed Deitrich's tattoos in action mode, but when imbiggened they stand out.

Of course I noticed them in portrait mode, because gently caress no he can't sing :allears:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Stroth posted:

Additionally: Actual perpetual youth treatments are... well, certainly cheap or easy, but still a thing. Leónization it's called.

Think you missed a "not" here.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wiegieman posted:

Leonization, or, it's illegal for rich people to become vampires and live forever but it's not illegal for them to apply a short lived and heavily engineered version of the same family of virus to wind back the clock on their biological aging. Only a small essence loss included, you'll hardly notice it's gone.

I wouldn't call a whole point (of six) minor. Especially since most of the execs who could afford it probably have some chrome.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

paragon1 posted:

I wouldn't call a whole point (of six) minor. Especially since most of the execs who could afford it probably have some chrome.

Isn't there an exec out there who's basically a cyberzombie?

I think he's also mentioned in THE will, as sort of a "I know you're still out there" joke.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ze Pollack posted:

attentive readers may wonder: what's the deal with Absinthe? is there some deeper lore explanation for what the hell she is?

If she's not part of the plot, my fallback assumption would be that she is a nod to some piece of obscure metaplot from the original PNP game. The kind of thing that makes fanboys squeal with recognition (and to be fair, I've done my share of squealing myself at such moment). Given the green glow to her portrait and the "green fairy"/Absinthe name, she might just be a nod to European drinking culture.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Loxbourne posted:

Given the green glow to her portrait and the "green fairy"/Absinthe name, she might just be a nod to European drinking culture.
As a local, I doubt that one. Absinthe hasn't really been a popular drink here for at least a century and was illegal for most of that - not because of the high alcohol content, by the way, but rather because substances in the wormwood extract it contains were believed to be especially harmful and addictive, above and beyond what even a regular liquor of that strength would be.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So, no Alcohol Spirit then? :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I am a shaman and Booze is my totem.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I wanted to thank this thread for the build advice, I got to the same place i got stuck last time and absolutely murdered everyone. I'm now rocking a full auto setup with 99% chance to hit. This game is great and I'm glad this LP inspired to play again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

paragon1 posted:

The kind of people who can afford it are staggeringly wealthy, soulless bastards. They may as well have one essence already.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

wiegieman posted:

The kind of people who can afford it are staggeringly wealthy, soulless bastards. They may as well have one essence already.

Imagine Mark Zuckerberg would stay forever looking like twentysomething. But he has a sweet chrome-arm with wifi port = gps tracking for instant facebook access.(like the corp form Deus Ex: Human Revolution) And he wants to cut everone's limbs and replace them with sweet facebook arms, too.

Time to get my old SR books from the attic and work on a campaign...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OutofSight posted:

Imagine Mark Zuckerberg would stay forever looking like twentysomething. But he has a sweet chrome-arm with wifi port = gps tracking for instant facebook access.(like the corp form Deus Ex: Human Revolution) And he wants to cut everone's limbs and replace them with sweet facebook arms, too.

I mean, Peter Thiel and the whole story about transfusing blood of younger people into himself to live longer is right there, too. That's some Azzie poo poo in the making right there.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, I never really noticed Deitrich's tattoos in action mode, but when imbiggened they stand out.

Of course I noticed them in portrait mode, because gently caress no he can't sing :allears:

He must have been a hell of a front man. Just look at the fan club he's already got in this thread.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And we haven't gotten to his loyalty mission yet.
:ninja:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He's not loyal to us, we're loyal to him.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Kanfy posted:

DO you sssssTIll accCCcept d-d-doNATIONSSSSSS saMuelllll-SANNNN

Voted :five: went hog wild.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OutofSight posted:

I have the feeling Zuck would try to transplant his head out of his scrawny physical body onto a buff robo body a la Jaron Namir over the protests of his underlings and die from the essence loss.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can see the ShadowOnion headline now: "Zuckerberg Has More Soul Now, Says Local Shaman".

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

TheMcD posted:

I mean, Peter Thiel and the whole story about transfusing blood of younger people into himself to live longer is right there, too. That's some Azzie poo poo in the making right there.

This prompted a question in my brain. How would that even work with Blood Magic? Could you kill him via one of the people he drained?

Can you kill a vampire with the blood of someone they drank from?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Quick character build question: I'm an assault rifle decker (Body 4/Quick 5/Ranged 5/Rifles 5/Int 5/Decking 4 + a few other points here and there), and I've got the opportunity to shove an Int+2 omplant into my brain meats. I also have enough Karma that I could bump Int to *7* first, giving me an effective *9* Int for 5,000 nuyen and 1.5 essence. Aside from the general decking boosts, and without spoilers, are there any Int checks over my current Int of 5 that I might want to do this for?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This prompted a question in my brain. How would that even work with Blood Magic? Could you kill him via one of the people he drained?

this getting off-topic i guess, but that'd be a pretty novel weakness for a vampire story, i'm a fan

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

RickVoid posted:

Quick character build question: I'm an assault rifle decker (Body 4/Quick 5/Ranged 5/Rifles 5/Int 5/Decking 4 + a few other points here and there), and I've got the opportunity to shove an Int+2 omplant into my brain meats. I also have enough Karma that I could bump Int to *7* first, giving me an effective *9* Int for 5,000 nuyen and 1.5 essence. Aside from the general decking boosts, and without spoilers, are there any Int checks over my current Int of 5 that I might want to do this for?

I believe the most you'll need anywhere is 7. Implants don't count for being able to raise skills, I don't think, so a "natural" whatever number is more valuable than an "effective" whatever number. With 5(+2) you wouldn't be able to get Decking 7, for instance.

Also, the implant is just a generic +2 modifier on top, so if you took it now and then bumped your base Int to 6 later, you'd still only pay 6 karma for it, and have 8 total.

I did the same build and used it, but I made Blitz do most of the decking in the back half of the game because he upgrades his deck "for free" and I don't, and I needed the money to replace my legs with metal ones.

(rifles over 3 is kind of a "trap" btw, it only affects crit rate)

I hope none of that counts as giving poo poo away. Tried to be vague.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I believe the most you'll need anywhere is 7. Implants don't count for being able to raise skills, I don't think, so a "natural" whatever number is more valuable than an "effective" whatever number. With 5(+2) you wouldn't be able to get Decking 7, for instance.

Also, the implant is just a generic +2 modifier on top, so if you took it now and then bumped your base Int to 6 later, you'd still only pay 6 karma for it, and have 8 total.

I did the same build and used it, but I made Blitz do most of the decking in the back half of the game because he upgrades his deck "for free" and I don't, and I needed the money to replace my legs with metal ones.

(rifles over 3 is kind of a "trap" btw, it only affects crit rate)

I hope none of that counts as giving poo poo away. Tried to be vague.

Good info here, thanks.

Probably won't bother with it then. 5,000 nuyen can go into a bunch of other things, and I'm not planning on dumping much (if anything) more into decking anyway. And you just saved me from dumping any more into Rifles too, so thanks for that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Maybe? The important thing about a ritual targeting component is that it's linked to the essence of the person you're messing with, and vampires also drain essence when they drain blood.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Maybe? The important thing about a ritual targeting component is that it's linked to the essence of the person you're messing with, and vampires also drain essence when they drain blood.

I mean, in theory, with a skilled enough blood mage, the fact that the vampire is absorbing the essence in the blood could actually make it more vulnerable to blood magic using it's meal.

But, on the other hand, anyone hiring a blood mage that skilled deserves whatever horrible fate awaits them for being stupid enough to deal with a masterfully skilled blood mage. I mean hell, you'd be better off breaking into Lofwyr's office and taking a poo poo on his desk. At least he might kill you quickly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stroth posted:

I mean, in theory, with a skilled enough blood mage, the fact that the vampire is absorbing the essence in the blood could actually make it more vulnerable to blood magic using it's meal.

But, on the other hand, anyone hiring a blood mage that skilled deserves whatever horrible fate awaits them for being stupid enough to deal with a masterfully skilled blood mage. I mean hell, you'd be better off breaking into Lofwyr's office and taking a poo poo on his desk. At least he might kill you quickly.

Also, breaking into Lofwyr's office like that is at least stylish. You're drawing on the classical divine protection for those who do things that are too insane to contemplate. It's a proper run, and if Lupin III has taught us anything, it's that Leonardo da Vinci could never beat Inspector Zenigata in hand to hand combat. (Or maybe something about the most impossible heists can actually be pulled off if you're good enough and lucky enough, but the other thing is more important.)

Meanwhile, hiring a blood mage is just making yourself another corporate chump who assumes that money makes you invincible. All the suicide, none of the room for style.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I can't believe the thread ended up getting gold over that terrible thing, but thank you nonetheless. I'll definitely do the best I can to make the LP worthy of it.

Speaking of, I'm always looking for ways to improve things and the cheat menu's ability to disable fog of war and UI should come in handy for better screenshots here and there. It also allow for toggling post-processing effects on and off without restarting, and it made me realize stuff looks way sharper without the bloom and other junk so I thought I might leave it off from now on.

I assume most people don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but feel free to voice your preference if you do have one. Comparison gifs for reference:

From closer to the edges of the screen:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Agreed that it looks sharper. And it's still reasonably bright, so at least for well lit areas it'll work.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

habeasdorkus posted:

Agreed that it looks sharper. And it's still reasonably bright, so at least for well lit areas it'll work.

I manually adjust the brightness of images that look too dark so if visibility is ever an issue, that's entirely on me. Cropping + resizing requires using an image editor for every image anyway so adjusting stuff like that on the side is no big deal.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wiegieman posted:

It's severe enough that it limits their ability to further augment themselves, and at least puts a cap on how many times it can be done.

Though it does mean you have humans potentially living to be like, 500 years old.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Is there any way, hilariously evil or not, to regain essence?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Vampires and friends drain it, naturally.

I think there's DM fiat and little else.

Probably finding another civilization on another metaplane that can do that. Then getting dumped back in the Sixth World to get back to your family friendly cyberpunk themes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Groetgaffel posted:

There is in 5e. You can get a treatment that restores .1 essence for iirc 100,000 nuyen. However, it only applies to essence lost to regular augmentations. Essence lost to gene augmentations (like Leonization) cannot be regained this way.

Can't remember if it works for things like essence lost to a vampire chewing on you. You also have to have removed the augmentations that caused the essence loss in the first place.

So if I come into some big money and replace my off the shelf cyberarm with a tailored bioware replacement, I can now spend even more to get the difference in essence back. And then probably lose it again to give myself inspector gadget legs or something.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a proper run

And now I'm stuck with an idea for a campaign consisting of increasingly strange runs with seemingly random objectives where the group eventually realizes that they're being used to carry out a prank war between Ghostwalker and Lofwyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stroth posted:

And now I'm stuck with an idea for a campaign consisting of increasingly strange runs with seemingly random objectives where the group eventually realizes that they're being used to carry out a prank war between Ghostwalker and Lofwyr.

Stealing this idea and adapting it for my D&D games.