Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slothrop posted:

So much this. I moved into a place where the owner had left the Weber Baby Q for us to use and when I moved out it was the first thing I got for myself. I don’t know what size your family is but I couldn’t see myself needing a bigger BBQ in a hurry. For the two of us + occasional guests the Baby Q is spot on. If your were regularly entertaining they do make a larger size. Aside from being built like a tank and fairly easy to clean they are super frugal on the gas. In a year of at least once a week use I didn’t even go through one 4.5kg gas bottle

Yeah the gas savings I noticed right away, firing up a big gas grill to cook a few chicken breasts is pretty drat inefficient. I just use the little propane containers and keep a few on hand, no refilling just chuck em in the recycling container. I'm really amazed at how well it has held up compared to other gas grills I have owned, like i said after ten years I've only replaced the burner once, and it just now needs a new grate.

I use it mainly for quick cooking meats like chicken breasts, fish and shrimp etc and use my charcoal grills for steaks and stuff I wanna cook low and slow. The combo works out perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I use it mainly for quick cooking meats like chicken breasts, fish and shrimp etc and use my charcoal grills for steaks and stuff I wanna cook low and slow. The combo works out perfect.

That’s very much my usage model too. I have a Weber charcoal kettle and a charcoal hibachi but for everyday convenience the Q is hard to beat.

The place I’m moving into soon has a wood fired oven out in the backyard so I’ll really have my bases covered! I think that’ll be fun for having people over and doing a full leg of lamb etc

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All I'm hearing is that somebody doesn't believe in our lord and savior, Titebond.

Fermented Tinal posted:

There is only Elmer's and Probond is his messenger.

Lol. Look at these guys that haven't heard of CA glue.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seminal Flu posted:

I wonder if the shooter at YouTube was recently demonetized? :ohdear:

http://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/what-do-we-know-about-the-youtube-workplace-shooter-nasim-aghdam/1099679131

:vince:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 4, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holy gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I guess this means the Paul brothers are gonna nuke youtube from orbit when they get demonetized?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

So I guess this means the Paul brothers are gonna nuke youtube from orbit when they get demonetized?

Didn't that already happen?

Also I hate that I know who Logan Paul is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oh for fucks sake

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A manhattan made from cheap vermouth and evan williams on the rocks in a solo cup is still a fancy cocktail, right

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Didn't that already happen?

Also I hate that I know who Logan Paul is.

Only reason I know about them is because of my son who thinks they are cool dudes irl

Enourmo posted:

A manhattan made from cheap vermouth and evan williams on the rocks in a solo cup is still a fancy cocktail, right

No

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Enourmo posted:

There are so many things wrong with this, but the most important is that a manhattan is made out with loving rye.
The other good thing about rye is that the cheap rye is old overholt which is loving solid for manhattans.

This comment is triggering me in so many ways. I've also been served manhattans on the rocks and that also annoys me, but not as much as a fancy cocktail place making a standard manhattan with bourbon or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Only reason I know about them is because of my son who thinks they are cool dudes irl

Have you considered boarding school?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Late term abortion.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

nm posted:

There are so many things wrong with this, but the most important is that a manhattan is made out with loving rye.
The other good thing about rye is that the cheap rye is old overholt which is loving solid for manhattans.

This comment is triggering me in so many ways. I've also been served manhattans on the rocks and that also annoys me, but not as much as a fancy cocktail place making a standard manhattan with bourbon or something.

Just so we're clear, I got vermouth a while back for whatever reason, then decided to make something out of what i had on hand. I was not served this, except by myself.

E; also I honestly don't drink often and it's hard to justify having a well-stocked liquor selection

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Enourmo posted:

Just so we're clear, I got vermouth a while back for whatever reason, then decided to make something out of what i had on hand. I was not served this, except by myself.

E; also I honestly don't drink often and it's hard to justify having a well-stocked liquor selection

The proper way to use cheap vermouth is cooking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He'll be fine, he used to like Dora the Explorer at one point too and he grew out of that.

Now I get to look forward to his teen years :smithicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

He'll be fine, he used to like Dora the Explorer at one point too and he grew out of that.

Sounds like he's well on his way to making cheap vermouth and evan williams "manhattans." Time for an intervention.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I thought he was already a teenager since you're like 65.

:D

EDIT: My wife got her hair cut tonight. It's shorter than she's ever had it since we've been together and it's twiggin me out.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 4, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Grill chat.

I've yet to find an apartment that actually :airquote: allowed :airquote: any grills that used fire as a heat source. Yeah, people still do it, the place I'm currently at has charcoal and propane grills EVERYWHERE, but the place I'm moving to is apparently a bit more strict about it than most places I've lived. Likely a city thing, but they do twice-yearly fire inspections (with the fire department tagging along). The upside is that means they change out the batteries for the smoke alarms and CO detectors for you every 6 months (plus regular testing of the building fire alarms), the downside is they also check the patio for grills. (new place is just outside of Austin, but I'm not entirely comfortable saying exactly which city thanks to the whole... thing... with the job incident last year). It'll be by far the nicest and newest apartment I've lived in, and aside from that twice-yearly fire inspection bit (and their pet rent :argh:), they seem pretty chill.

How's that George Foreman outdoor grill thing? New place has power on the patio, which will make the second apartment I've lived in that actually had a power outlet on the patio (current one does too, but it only works if I kick the bedroom wall first :laffo: [it's just outside my bedroom window and obviously tied in to the outlet on the other side of the wall). GF's ex bf has one that's been sitting on her current patio for several years; he's probably forgotten about it, but when I was down there the other day, I saw wasps flying in and out of it. :stare: Lifting the lid revealed some serious :barf: (obviously never got cleaned), so I have no interest in inheriting that particular one (it's probably headed to the dumpster, he has 3 weeks to get the rest of his poo poo out before she moves anyway). Just wondering if I should drop the ~$70 or so on another one, or just get something propane and move it to the garage (+ hide the tank) during the fire inspections.

iwentdoodie posted:

New coil in civic = beating it like a red headed stepchild. 500 dollar cars are best cars.

You should keep an ignitor handy too. They go out more often than the coil.

If you have a no-start on a B, D, F, or H series, it's the main fuel relay, ignitor, or coil. The first 2 are just as likely to fail (though the MFR usually fails when it's warm out), the coil is the least likely (but does poo poo out now and then). If you have a no-start and the tach is either not moving at all (normally it should move slightly while cranking), or going apeshit while cranking, yer ignitor took a poo poo. Don't gently caress with anything non-OEM for an ignitor unless you really like yanking the dizzy :quagmire: often.

So, like, if the ac works, you should totally sell it to me for a small profit. :allears: (it's going to cost a bit more than $500 to get my ac going again, and as much as I love my Saturd, I love ac more :smithicide:)

spog posted:

I thought consumer hot glue only had two uses:

1) sticking macaroni to wooden boxes
2) creating interesting burns to your hands

Uh, the magnet for my alarm (front door contact) is kinda sorta held on with hot glue.

Steel door, magnet isn't strong enough to hold itself, and double sided tape just peeled the paint off. Yeah it falls off if you kick it, but it's never falsed on me (yet).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 4, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ask me how my loving day is going so loving far.

Hit and run with a trash truck that did an illegal pass on a 2 lane road.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Are you hurt?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
poo poo! Hope you're ok

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Poor Saturd, getting creamed again and again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

Are you hurt?

I smacked my head into the window pretty good and my neck is sore as gently caress. Otherwise I'm just loving angry as all gently caress.

e: okay now that it's been a bit, I'm a lot more sore. I'll hit up urgent care once I get a good nap.

bolind posted:

Poor Saturd, getting creamed again and again.

Poor Saturd? Thing gets as much action as I do! :quagmire:

This may be the death blow, depending how insurance handles it. Just went out to look a bit closer. Headlight, headlight bucket, side marker, harness to both, LF suspension, LF wheel+tire, bumper, fender, mirror, fog light are all hosed. Radiator support is likely (hood is sitting slightly off to the side). Suspension seems to have taken the brunt of it; the LF wheel has some pretty awesome camber going that wasn't real obvious until I put the spare on (the spare has some tread separation going too, I don't trust it above about 30 mph).

I got the spare tire on and the remains of the headlight sort of in place, so this lovely management company shouldn't have a reason to tow it before insurance gets ahold of it (any vehicle "with a flat tire or obviously inoperable" is subject to tow, going by my lease). It's not legally driveable (harness to the LF lights is destroyed, including the turn signal), but it'll move under its own power. I can at least get to/from the grocery store for now until insurance lines up a rental.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 4, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That loving blows, man. Dash cam catch it at least?

Drove the civic to work today, felt like a victory. Also goddamn terrifying and I'm pretty sure I lost power steering. Oh the joy of a beater. It doesn't even bother me, I'll fix the poo poo, it's hearing about it from the wife.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Hit and run with a trash truck that did an illegal pass on a 2 lane road.

drat, hope you're alright. Did you get the guy's license plate number or anything? That's quite lovely.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Here’s hoping your neck pain doesn’t stick around long term. You’ve done quite a job keeping that car alive, but this might be its time. May the dash cam come in handy for getting the most you can out of the garbage company.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sucks about the car, but glad you're (mostly) okay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

poo poo dude you have all the luck. Prius time?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Get insurance to cover physio, neck pain is no good and only gets worst later on if left untreated.

Hope the dash video is clear enough to nail that guy to the wall. Any witnesses too?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

RIP brave saturd

STR I hope you are able to wring out that garbage company's insurance.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

STR may i interest you in my redline? i will literally drive it down to u :3:

(:rip: ur car tho)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

All I ask is for someone to invent an adhesive that works better on any actually useful substrate than it does on skin.

Titebond is pretty great as a wood glue and washes right off hands.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Of course my fuckin hard grad class assigns a lab due the 13th, same day I'm taking the PE. Coupled with the 12 hour days I'm working during an outage at a power station and, well, this is gonna be a fun few weeks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Of course my fuckin hard grad class assigns a lab due the 13th, same day I'm taking the PE. Coupled with the 12 hour days I'm working during an outage at a power station and, well, this is gonna be a fun few weeks.

My 8 year old just got a cast on her broken arm yesterday and I'll tell you the same thing I told her -- you can do anything for a couple weeks. Focus, push, know that it's a short-term crush and you'll get through it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seminal Flu posted:

My 8 year old just got a cast on her broken arm yesterday and I'll tell you the same thing I told her -- you can do anything for a couple weeks. Focus, push, know that it's a short-term crush and you'll get through it.

And it's even better as an adult, because we can drink, smoke, and swear to make ourselves feel better under stress

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I smacked my head into the window pretty good

I'll hit up urgent care once I get a good nap.

Careful bud, you're in concussion territory.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I didn't clean the covers/"heat tents" but there was never much directly on the supporting hardware and that's what was lost. And usually just scrubbed the grates with the wire brush to get all particulates off, and they were in good enough shape, though some rust had started on the edges... Still, a good point. I'll have to do that moving forward. Thanks.

They do make replacement heat tent/spreader things. "Universal, meaning they don't really fit, but better than broken/missing. The one on my grilled burned up within a year. Replacement is OK-ish. I've also already replaced the burner from Amazon. Replacement burners at Lowe's/Home Despot were 2/3 the price I paid for the grill ($109 - it was the least expensive grill with an aluminum body, now discontinued, of course.) Replacement burner is better (thicker, stainless steel) but judging by the flames the holes are starting to open up on it, too. Eventually, I'll need to throw down on an actually good grill, I guess. May try making my own burners out of Schedule 40 stainless pipe or something first.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Do what you can here:

https://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com

I bought a Weber Genesis LX 3 burner natural gas grill and I have loved it. Igor the stainless model. The grates are stainless steel too and it has a closed cabinet on the bottom. With all the grilling I do now with my wife’s dietary needs I’m using it two or three times a week. With the natural gas it has no problem getting up to 650+* and it is easy to cook with direct or indirect heat. Just the right amount of cooking area for a pretty good spread too.
Buy the cover. It is 100% necessity for maintaining a nice looking grill.

...Pretty sure I will never be in a position to spend $1200 on a loving grill. I can step up from my $100 shitbox, but not quite that much.
I actually have a gas line outside, but it was disconnected before I bought the house. There was a natural gas grill mounted by the patio, but it was burnt out, rusted, and had been used as a charcoal grill after the gas was cut.

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-3034502-Glue-Sticks-45Count/dp/B06X1CZWC5

The original Gorilla Glue and the tape are useful. The other stuff they make is OK, I guess. No better than the competition, really, though their bottles are good insofar as they use appropriate caps and such to keep clogging to a minimum.

QuarkMartial posted:

Did thistothat.com get posted or did I miss it?

Holy gently caress. <bookmarked>

Nylon is...special.

Yeah it is. Part of the reason it's used where it's used is its slippery nature.
Polypropylene plastics in cars are also a pain in the dick when it comes to paint and adhesives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iwentdoodie posted:

That loving blows, man. Dash cam catch it at least?

Larrymer posted:

drat, hope you're alright. Did you get the guy's license plate number or anything? That's quite lovely.

Since he seems to be busy, yeah, his dash cam caught it. He pinged me on Messenger this morning, and was on the phone to the trash truck company at the time.

• Locked thread