Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Wouldn't the best counter to lion be a defender that can do the same exact poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Wouldn't the best counter to lion be a defender that can do the same exact poo poo?

God no. Not only is Lion's ability overpowered but it's not fun. His ability is "I take away your ability to do poo poo", those kinds of things need to be handled very carefully. I still think he needs to look at his arm for the whole scan so that he's out of action...his ability is powerful enough to justify it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Mute is the answer, keeping a router or two on your person so you can drop them on demand

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jack Trades posted:

Ubisoft should be doing the balancing separately for the console and PC versions, just like Overwatch does.

you mean two changes and then ignoring the console version exists for two years?

I think they're already there

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mp5 posted:

Mute is the answer, keeping a router or two on your person so you can drop them on demand

It takes like 2 seconds to drop a jammer and if you move more than around 4 feet away the effect ends and you're scanned. so you're cutting your Mute capabilities by 25% - 50% for a late round retake strat that doesn't do a hell of a lot in most situations....you generally have to move more than 4 feet to get an angle on the Attackers in my experience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Minrad posted:

you mean two changes and then ignoring the console version exists for two years?

I think they're already there

I mean console version can be totally forgotten for all I care.
I just want the balancing changes on PC to be done without the "but how does this affect console players?" in mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

I mean console version can be totally forgotten for all I care.
I just want the balancing changes on PC to be done without the "but how does this affect console players?" in mind.

This already happened, they removed console from Pro League. They don't really care about it.

But PC is only 25% of RB6's player base so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to totally ignore everyone else.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This already happened, they removed console from Pro League. They don't really care about it.

But PC is only 25% of RB6's player base so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to totally ignore everyone else.

Wow really?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Honestly their record of operator design since Blood Orchid has been terrible. Even old ops have been changed negatively. The new Blitz sucks.

with the exception of Zofia, White Noise geneuinely owned imo!

dokkaebi's phone call was obviously silly but it felt self-aware and intentionally humorous at the time of release. the whole idea of a t4ctic00l h4x0r is :lol:.

it wouldn't be a problem if Lion/Finka weren't such lazy and immediate rehashes of her - especially just after introducing Ela's twin sister that was basically more of an Ash clone gameplay wise. the whole thing reeks of rushing to meet deadlines.

but the hacking cameras thing and her DMR/smg combo are awesome and i would still play her even if that's all she had :kimchi:

also vigil is exactly what siege needs. i DO think that both korean loadouts are a bit overpowered but his ability is great in that it is so highly situational that many considered it useless. this is a good thing. if they released operators like this but with less reliable guns it would rule.

people think guys like tachanka suck but it would be better for the game if new operators leaned in his direction every now and then. i really doubt they actually NEED to go full Ela with each new operator just to ensure season pass sales. most of the season pass owners i know just want to support this game regardless of who the gently caress they even add to it next and blow their extra renown on skins

Thief fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 4, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thief I didn't mean they were all bad, but Ela and Lion have flat out sucked and been blatantly overpowered from the get-go. That's 2/8, 25%, way too high for supposed "professional" game devs. I expect a bad one to sneak in there now and then but that's a lousy ratio. Plus Blitz getting turned into a monstrous Battering Ram of Doom on TTS before they walked it back. Plus Finka being a bad design that has a huge impact at lower skill levels and barely any impact at higher skill levels. I don't know. Feels like they don't know what they are doing, less like they're "experimenting" with new abilities and more like they're loving up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Plus Blitz getting turned into a monstrous Battering Ram of Doom on TTS before they walked it back.

I'm mostly with you on the other ones, but you shouldn't really fault them for stuff they do on TTS, the whole point of it is for testing.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Honestly their record of operator design since Blood Orchid has been terrible. Even old ops have been changed negatively. The new Blitz sucks.

Edit: I mean I like bullying people with him but he's really bad on consoles where fine aim is much tougher

Edit edit: Ubi tightening the screws again on "player toxicity"

https://twitter.com/rainbow6game/status/981575379457540096

Honestly what they did currently worked pretty well. From every 3-4 games seeing really glaring nasty poo poo, now it is pretty tame in comparison. So yeah, I hope they don't go too crazy.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I would be fine with Lion if the scan wore off if you entered a mute field or stopped moving and or b. If he had more counters. Like I said I still don't know why vigil isn't his counter. Even giving one person the ability to move unhindered during the scan vastly changes how the op would play I feel.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

a real counter is sorely needed. Finka has been a huge buff to smoke's warcrimes

as someone that doesn't play the test server, i feel that the blitz that finally went live is in a good place and the more variation to shield users the better.

but yeah they STILL need to properly nerf ela's smg into the ground even after "balancing" her. ignoring that her silenced shotgun is one of the single most fun roaming specs in the entire game so i can't help but love ubi for making that an option. it makes no sense that this wasn't her primary focus right from the start considering how well grzmots work for improvised ambushes.

kapkan's rework was very cool and i hope they continue doing stuff like this. a lot of people considered it a nerf but as time passed i think most of the mains out there have come to appreciate it despite losing their precious 1 hit kills.

unfortunately this is something we won't likely see anytime soon with lion or finka. they could be SO much better if activating their ability wasn't so easy.

lion has this huge loving backpack he waddles around with. maybe make him take it off and deploy it like a rook bag to scan adjacent rooms or something? thermite has no problem running up to the loving immediate obj walls so its not like this would be too hard. the invincible dubstep drone hovering over the center of the map isn't going to be why kids are quitting Call of Duty to migrate to this game in 2018 lmao

and i like finka because pretty much just because she brings the Saiga shotgun to the attack team without having to play recruit. that and the russian LMG are possibly the two funniest things to exploit with no recoil. but all she has to do is squeeze her power glove to cast a raidwide buff across the whole map with practically zero cooldown between when its active and wears off :wtc:

first of all Finka's ability should only affect herself. why the gently caress are R6's top operators that don't suffer from her condition juicing themselves with experimental nanobots, its loving insane lmao.

this way even if they don't change the instant activation it wouldn't be a tactically magical battle rez. i mean lol @ anyone not already doing this but an ability like that should be used very selfishly - like doc spawn peekers do except with no option to share the love.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vigil isn't his counter because Lion's drone uses a special snowflake sonar wallhacks method of acquiring targets and Vigil only affects cameras.

If anything Cav would be the counter (as if she needs to be more annoying).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Easy, let anyone who encounters Lion's dead body rip off his armband and enjoy the free intel. Even Defenders.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So even if you kill Lion his teammates just cannibalize him? Great plan, genius, 5 Lions in every match are just the nerf to him we need.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ubi's proposed nerf is something really simple like lowering the uses fro. 3 to 2 or something

surely that way his pickrate will be reduced in pro league from 100% to ...well lol it'll probably still be like at least 85% because he has no real counter.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Buffing the range of Mutes devices would be a counter. Triple range specific to lions scan?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It takes like 2 seconds to drop a jammer and if you move more than around 4 feet away the effect ends and you're scanned. so you're cutting your Mute capabilities by 25% - 50% for a late round retake strat that doesn't do a hell of a lot in most situations....

If what people are saying about Lion's pick rate is true, "most situations" are now going to be facing a Lion on the other team. Keeping one jammer on you undeployed was already a good strategy so you could place it later in the round as you needed to anyway.

I have a video of me playing Mute in this situation from a couple of days ago that I'll post here tonight once I cut out some post-match adrenaline-fueled screaming.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

huge Castle buff finally inbound as he unrolls the spiky soundproofing foam you see in studios

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Thief posted:

huge Castle buff finally inbound as he unrolls the spiky soundproofing foam you see in studios

All I want is Bouncy Castle

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My personal feeling is that Lion's current power level makes him a must-pick operator and effective counters to him would, by necessity, also become must-pick operators. And must-pick operators are bad, as is being forced to play paper-rock-scissors with the meta.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My personal feeling is that Lion's current power level makes him a must-pick operator and effective counters to him would, by necessity, also become must-pick operators. And must-pick operators are bad, as is being forced to play paper-rock-scissors with the meta.

What do you want to do about Thermite/Hibana and Thatcher then?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's mostly because they fill a role of hard breacher, which is a very strong role to play. Different story.

And Thatcher is by no means a "must pick", his rate during the invitational was 30% (compared to 40% Thermite and 80% Hibana, which is still smaller than the outrageous 97% pick rate for Lion).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
They should make Thatcher's EMPs also frags.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SpazmasterX posted:

They should make Thatcher's EMPs also frags.

This would be pretty funny. So many fragged Thermites

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It takes like 2 seconds to drop a jammer and if you move more than around 4 feet away the effect ends and you're scanned. so you're cutting your Mute capabilities by 25% - 50% for a late round retake strat that doesn't do a hell of a lot in most situations....you generally have to move more than 4 feet to get an angle on the Attackers in my experience.

Re-quoting this because I got that video uploaded. I'm by no means a wizard at this game but I'm gonna always keep a jammer on me for these situations going forward. All it took was wiggling 4 feet to the right or so to get an angle here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G1Y8B1dCyY

I think I'm happiest about Blitz though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Am i missing something? You didn't achieve anything during the scan.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I feel like i'd have been hit if I hadn't been moving when they were shooting through the wall. It also seems like Ying was relying too hard on Lion's pings when the other guy walked through the hallway and got shot; she looked like she was droning to try and find the last person when I got her.

I could be wrong and if so I'm just happy to have clutched the match. I'm not saying Lion isn't a problem, but I think Ela at her worst was worse than this is.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mp5 posted:

I could be wrong and if so I'm just happy to have clutched the match. I'm not saying Lion isn't a problem, but I think Ela at her worst was worse than this is.

I started playing when Ela was new, no way was she worse then than Lion is now. Ela never achieved 100% pickrate in pro league, which should say something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lion doesn't have the stats that Ela had. She was only finally nerfed because her personal global stats (KDR, W/L, pick rate, etc.) were ridiculously high. Lion is godlike because his ability lets any attacker get free kills, and he's a must-pick in Pro League because with the amount of coordination those teams have, they can exploit the skill ceiling on his ability to devastating effect. Pub games don't have that, not even ranked ones, so Ela was way more OP outside of Pro League because she allowed you to carry a match, which was way more important (and not nearly as important in Pro League, where operator utility is far more significant). The Siege community hated Ela and is largely indifferent towards Lion. Pro Leaguers hate Lion and were largely indifferent towards Ela.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Every ranked game in high ELO is lion + dokkabei + ying with a hibana or something in the mix. Siege took a hit on player numbers since the release of new ops. Multiple calls for operators affecting the environment not the players as thats where teh fun is and they go and release loving Lion. Pro players complaining that the meta sucks and isn't fun, same with pubs. I love this game but holy poo poo if they are releasing counters with the new defenders it needed to be at the same time.

If you don't think Lion makes this game worse in every way I don't know what to tell you. just lol at 'carry jammers with you'

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Siege is up to 80k players from 60k in January. It dropped ~2k in the last 30 days. Not much of a hit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
no one said what you're saying. i think everyone agrees lion is super strong, but you're living in a fantasyland if you think a pub group is going to get the same strength from his gadget that a pro team will. the average ranked team probably still isn't coordinated enough to actually force movement during lion scans.

i do think he needs to be touched, but he's absolutely not as bad as ela was.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The rise in playerbase at the beginning of Chimera was the result of coming off of a popular Pro League, a marketing push on Outbreak and the new game versions. I think there was a sale as well.

People finished outbreak pretty quickly considering its about 3 and a half hours of content played the across 2 difficulties. They didn't offer weekly modifiers to change up the gameplay (no barricades, bigger horde, two big guys, etc) so once you were done, unless you wanted charms, that was it.

And Lion soured people pretty quick, yeah. Seeing the 99% pick rate is nuts, was Ela that high originally? I don't remember

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
its not exactly difficult. nearly every 'pub' team in plat and above can do it. The point is he takes action away from the player and its just not a fun mechanic.

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 5, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Brinner posted:

its not exactly difficult. nearly every 'pub' team in plat and above can do it. The point is he takes action away from the player and its just not a fun mechanic.

Except a lot that aren't premade or unicorn in the wild levels of rare randoms that prematch commo aren't going to be able to fully capitalize on it as opposed to the idiot random going Ash or something. That's the point being made in thread. I think he just needs to deploy poo poo and ping an area, which was supposedly his original concept.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Nebiros posted:

Except a lot that aren't premade or unicorn in the wild levels of rare randoms that prematch commo aren't going to be able to fully capitalize on it as opposed to the idiot random going Ash or something. That's the point being made in thread. I think he just needs to deploy poo poo and ping an area, which was supposedly his original concept.

That wouldn't be a bad change although if it was a large area it would still be pretty OP for clearing rooms. Idk, i feel like there are so many great ideas for environmental changes and is part of what makes siege great. and we get lion, finka, zofia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I still think one way to nerf Lion would be that he has to watch the drone from above while he's using it, surveying the area, and being the only one who can see the movement on his screen. It means the team is down one man while he's using it, and defenders can probably gamble that opfor isn't communicating enough to intercept a coordinated push with several of them moving at once.

EDIT: also vigil should be invisible on Lion's drone, and if he does move, the screen should just flicker with error messages to spite Lion