Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

I think I did lunch wrong today :(

Yes, you bought ersatz "chocolate".

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think that the C6 is vastly better looking than the C5. A C5 Z06 is an incredible value right now and hard to argue with.

So Mrs Heroic went to visit the parents for a couple of days and let me catch up on some house projects and spring cleaning. I’ve been tackling the garage at night to make it a haven again.

Why do we as humans keep around boxes? I got rid of the original boxes of so many things. I finally rid myself of the box from our TV. It had the base (tv is wall mounted). Why have I hung on to that for almost five years? I’m never going to table top mount the TV. It’s not going to get taken back to the store. It took up space for five years. Throwing it out felt good.

I have this problem. I really need to go through the attic and chuck the boxes for everything I don't still own. In some cases, it's nice to be able to box poo poo up when selling or moving it, but if you don't plan on doing either, chuck that box after the store return period is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm guilty of box hoarding. I used to hang on to them in case something went wrong and I'd need to make a return. But my wife tosses a box as soon as she opens something so I'm trying to get on that level.

Edit: My mother in law just showed up to drop something off and she's heading out to the Mazda dealer to trade her '16 Miata in on an '17 RF. I'm slightly jealous.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 5, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I keep boxes for Bad Obsession-style CAD work, spray painting stuff in/on, and sending out parcels.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I'm guilty of box hoarding. I used to hang on to them in case something went wrong and I'd need to make a return. But my wife tosses a box as soon as she opens something so I'm trying to get on that level.

Edit: My mother in law just showed up to drop something off and she's heading out to the Mazda dealer to trade her '16 Miata in on an '17 RF. I'm slightly jealous.

Mazda dealer here has 4k+ on the hood of every RF on the lot. It makes me angry daily.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Mazda dealer here has 4k+ on the hood of every RF on the lot. It makes me angry daily.

Same here, she's getting a killer deal on it. And it's that gorgeous Mazda red to boot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So they're selling for under 30k then? drat that is a killer deal, don't tempt me to go into debt you jerks :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You're not allowed to buy a Miata until you buy an awesome japanese rv.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So they're selling for under 30k then? drat that is a killer deal, don't tempt me to go into debt you jerks :argh:

Seriously. How is the RF not moving?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously. How is the RF not moving?

Miata purists seem to dislike it. And I guess wind noise is terrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Somehow I think that it is much less terrible than a soft top

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

gently caress that, the part of the Miata I liked least was the soft top aside from the few times I could justify having it down.

Also this:

Somehow I think that it is much less terrible than a soft top

Though really I should probably just do a Toyobaru instead since that has a back seat that I can stick the kid in. Not that I should be doing any of these because holy poo poo I'd like to actually spend some time without a car payment.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

I paid $29.6k plus tax, tags, and whatever other fees on a 17 RF Club with Brembos. Deals are out there right now for 17s. I suspect prices will drop quite a bit on any remaining stock if the rumors on the 2019 HP bump end up panning out.

And yes, the hard top is not as wind noise free as i was expecting. There is a TSB on wind noise entering around the top sections, but mine is mostly coming from the window seals I think.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Though really I should probably just do a Toyobaru instead since that has a back seat that I can stick the kid in. Not that I should be doing any of these because holy poo poo I'd like to actually spend some time without a car payment.

Yeah I haven't had a car payment since the early 90's and i don't plan on doing it now even tho i could, I just REALLY dislike making payments on a car. poo poo I don't think I have ever spent more than 10k on a car since then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ebay SUCKS! i HATE ebay

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
hello

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Decided to do something to make me feel better about my V70R, so I had my exhaust friend tuck the exhaust (it was kind of hanging low), fix a leak, and make a new custom tip where he turned the tips blue with a torch to match my paint.

Blew the turbo on the way home. *sigh*. Sounded like the thrust bearing failed, I floored it and when I let off the gas it popped and smoke started pouring out of the exhaust, then no boost. Common problem on the K24 in this setup.

I knew something was wrong with it so at least now I'm forced to deal with it and can make everything right.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I keep boxes for Bad Obsession-style CAD work, spray painting stuff in/on, and sending out parcels.

Oh, I have a literal box of boxes in the garage for that. Plain brown shipping boxes of all sizes, mostly, but that pile I can put out for recycling without qualm if I need the space in the garage. This is seperate from the original packaging for my electronics and such. It's mostly toys and electronics I keep the packaging for. Other boxes, especially shipping boxes, go out into the box of boxes, or, right now, since that box is full, straight to the recycling.
I *am* actually working to declutter a bit. I mean, I sold an RX-7 a few months ago, and traded another! Down to 5, now. Picked up that AE86 I traded the '7 for, though. Still a net decrease!
Oh, and selling 2 of my 12A engine kegs as well.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

ebay SUCKS! i HATE ebay

Sometime, yes. It's definitely not as good as it was back near the beginning. Too many people just drop shipping crap from China, and thinking their turds are golden. Listen, you dingleberries: I'm not going to pay retail from some rando with a week's shipping when I can get it from Amazon for $2 more, with Prime shipping.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

'sup.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

not much u?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
inspired by box chat i am right now about to go throw away like 20 boxes i've been saving at the shop for ebay purposes. Here is hoping this cleansing will somehow make my life better yay!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I live right near a strip mall that has cardboard dumpsters behind it so it's like an endless supply of free boxes whenever i need them :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

not much u?

Oh hello

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Everyone should get Pulsar, btw

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Adiabatic posted:

I did always like the T-Top Pulsars

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
ok threw the boxes away now what

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah I haven't had a car payment since the early 90's and i don't plan on doing it now even tho i could, I just REALLY dislike making payments on a car. poo poo I don't think I have ever spent more than 10k on a car since then.

Don't buy a car unless you can afford to pay cash. :smug:

It still isn't a great financial decision but it's more justified that I can actually afford it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

where could you even get an auto loan for a 30 year old rv anyways?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My late grandpa was King of Box Hoarders. At one point, cleaning out the shed, about five years after he died, I threw out an entire trailer worth of old product boxes. Yes, that reel-to-reel tape recorder box sure was worth saving for three decades. At least the squirrel thought it was a good nut cache.

That side of the family is actually a bit of a bunch of closet hoarders, and I have it myself as well. I need to force myself to throw stuff out. It's so dumb.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

It still isn't a great financial decision but it's more justified that I can actually afford it.

Yeah, for me it's always been however much cash I have that's the budget. Drove a lot of beaters but have had some nice cars as well depending on how the income is going. Thanks to my wife making good money now we have two nice dependable cars that are paid for :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

bolind posted:

My late grandpa was King of Box Hoarders. At one point, cleaning out the shed, about five years after he died, I threw out an entire trailer worth of old product boxes. Yes, that reel-to-reel tape recorder box sure was worth saving for three decades. At least the squirrel thought it was a good nut cache.

That side of the family is actually a bit of a bunch of closet hoarders, and I have it myself as well. I need to force myself to throw stuff out. It's so dumb.

I'm not a hoarder, I'm just incredibly lazy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

Pistonheads is that way.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm the total opposite of a hoarder. If I haven't used something in a few months and it's not a seasonal item like a lawn mower or something I sell it or throw it out. I could probably fit everything I own in to my car. I also rarely buy things.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

The first car I almost received for free was a smurf blue Pulsar with a ton of rust patina.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

that gorgeous Mazda red to boot.

Mazda makes the best reds. The new reds I see on the CX-5 and Mazda 6 is such a head turner. I loved the Velocity Red Mica of my old Speed6 too. Cleaned up and in the sunlight it was stunning.

everdave posted:

Profit.

Seriously there are more boxes that need to go. Like my PlayStation3 box. What is even the point? I haven't even turned that thing on for...I dunno like 3 or 4 years at this point. It was running blu-ray duty and then that went away after building the home theater I will go down there to watch a movie.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

Pistonheads is that way.

I can afford a decent car but not a decent car.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just cashed out slightly less than one buttchoin for $8365. It was worth $34 when I got it.

$1840.30 in capital gains, hooray.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

not much u?

Eh, another day. Not bad. Nothing special.

Adiabatic posted:

Got one. Similar to this one, actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar_(watch)

everdave posted:

Oh, uh... hmm. Go through your closets and donate anything you don't/can't wear any more?

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm not a hoarder, I'm just incredibly lazy.

A little of column A, a little of column B.
In my defense, I don't generally keep useless things, like old newspapers or magazines (OK, I keep a small pile of newspaper for masking things, but only about an 8" stack or so.) Trying to figure out what exactly to do with old car magazines that I legitimately kept for the articles and features, but now don't need thanks to the Internet. Those are at least in magazine organizers on bookshelves. I keep stuff for parts, refurbishing, and eventual use. Have to make some hard decisions about what to keep some days, though.

At a certain point, for example, I'm going to have to decide if I will ever build the unbuilt model kits I have, or if I should just sell them. The good news is that a lot of them are OOP and/or vintage now, and therefore worth at least what I paid for them adjusted, if not more (a lot more, in some cases, it looks like.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

I can afford a decent car but not a decent car.
You've got their standard attitude down pat, though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Pistonheads is that way.

Pistonheads is a bunch of London Lawyers and Stockbrokers lording it over those who do not have a car worth 6 figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Pistonheads is a bunch of London Lawyers and Stockbrokers lording it over those who do not have a car worth 6 figures.
That's a good chunk of them, yes.

• Locked thread