Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah it's frankly bizarre how many QoL things in NV that Bethesda just dropped. Like I can get them not writing as well as Obsidian, they don't have the writers, but why drop this stuff?

They didn't drop it, they just didn't know it was there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah it's frankly bizarre how many QoL things in NV that Bethesda just dropped. Like I can get them not writing as well as Obsidian, they don't have the writers, but why drop this stuff?

I would imagine it's because they upgraded to an entirely new engine after NV and would have had to reimplement all those features from scratch, and for FO4 getting basic functionality working was probably a higher priority than QOL. If there's a FO4 equivalent of New Vegas, or if FO5 is an incremental improvement like Oblivion -> Skyrim instead of another new engine, we'll probably see those features start sneaking back in.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There were still a lot of nice QoL things in Fallout 4 over 3 or New Vegas that I'm giving Bethesda a lot more credit. Making Power Armor a walking tank that you climb into was wonderful, removing weapon durability was nice, and making it so that all the junk and poo poo you find can be turned into crafting materials gave me a reason to be a hoarder for once.

Fallout 4's dungeons were also all pretty darn well designed. I'm still discovering the occasional new unmarked area in Boston and I only just now went through the Massachusetts State House which was frigging huge and I missed it before.

My latest jam is finding out which dungeons are different if you sequence break. Did you know Arcjet Labs has a totally different layout if you go there before you meet Danse? The walls and doorways are technically the same, but certain halls are blocked with junk and certain other doors are open which results in a completely different maze to navigate. You can find the magazine in there too, and lots of Protectrons. The implication of course is that the synths moved everything when they were ransacking the area but I like that a lot.

Another thing is that the Boston Airport is a ghoul-filled dungeon with a treasure box on top of the tower before the Brotherhood shows up. Neat.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 5, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I liked power armor just being armor personally, when you didn't have to worry about carrying capacity getting hosed for ~reasons~ when you get in or breaking your legs when repairing it because their crafting interface is so terrible

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Here's something else that's pretty neat. The Slocum's Joe Creation Club DLC? It doesn't just update that one location. EVERY Slocum's Joe in the game, even unmarked ones in the cities, have new stuff. Boxes full of donut mix, uniforms, donut fryers, etc... They put more work into it than I thought. The Switchboard's Slocum's Joe got a revamp for example.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Speedball posted:

There were still a lot of nice QoL things in Fallout 4 over 3 or New Vegas that I'm giving Bethesda a lot more credit. Making Power Armor a walking tank that you climb into was wonderful, removing weapon durability was nice, and making it so that all the junk and poo poo you find can be turned into crafting materials gave me a reason to be a hoarder for once.

These are all reasons fo4 is awful though

Like, the crafting and modding means there's very little weapon variety; the way the power armor works means every dungeon has the same Cool Loot (a couple cores) etc. And settlements, hoo boy

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 5, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The settlement system doesn't appeal to me personally but if I was younger and had more free time I bet I would've spent hundreds of hours on it.

Also the weapon variety sucks but the actual shooting finally feels good. Maybe for fallout five Bethesda can poach whoever the gun nut who worked on new Vegas was so we don't end up with a bunch of lovely pipe weapons.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So long they don't do the whole different ammo types and reloading bench thing, sure. That's what kept me away from enjoying New Vegas as much as everyone else seems to.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of lovely weapons, it's just occurred to me that through 63 levels of my current playthrough I've yet to receive a single ghoul slayer's pool cue. Those used to make up about 70% of my legendary drops, did they change something in the last year?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never really had a problem with the reloading bench. Just break down all your ammo and turn it into match rounds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gaius Marius posted:

I never really had a problem with the reloading bench. Just break down all your ammo and turn it into match rounds.

Never really had a problem with ammo enough to even bother with the reloading bench :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Azhais posted:

I liked power armor just being armor personally, when you didn't have to worry about carrying capacity getting hosed for ~reasons~ when you get in or breaking your legs when repairing it because their crafting interface is so terrible

Power armor worked terribly in F3/NV, the stats didn't offset the weight so it still took up a huge chunk of inventory space and the actual damage resistance wasn't even particularly great compared to similar light armors. It was especially egregious in NV because of how ridiculously good the DLC light armors were when coupled with the appropriate perks, it basically made it so there was literally no reason to ever use heavy armor.

The only time you would actually lose carry weight by getting into PA in F4 is if you had maxed out deep pockets armor with a couple +STR pieces thrown in and were stepping into incomplete/unmodded armor (this definitely happened to me), but PA with the right mods gives you more carrying capacity than anything else in the game. I can see why they do it though, because if you got all the corresponding stat bonuses from armor and clothes and power armor it would throw out any semblance of balance and make it dumb to ever not use PA, whereas now there's pros/cons for either playstyle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's pretty easy to cheese the reloading bench. Breakdown surplus ammo and be swimming in match rounds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wolfsheim posted:

Power armor worked terribly in F3/NV

I can't honestly ever remember using it in New Vegas or 3, didn't those require power armor training or something? I think by the time I had access to it I no longer cared for the most part. I was mostly referring to the old Fallout 1/2 days

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, though. if the general trend of increasingly civilized settings continues apace, FO5 is going to involve your character living a normal post-post-apocalypse life where you have to prepare for your job interview as a computer programmer for the NCR and fret about whether or not you can afford your apartment rent after the landlord just raised the rate to 1200 caps. you'll enjoy exciting things like eating lunch at a functional restaurant and paying for a ride on working public transportation.

low-tech/no-tech might not be what the original FO was, but it'd be more interesting than everything more-or-less returning to 20th century normalcy (with the exception that there's inexplicably a metric fuckton of pre-war trash still piled up on every street corner).

No, no way.

Fallout 5 is going to be set 1200 years after the apocalypse. There will still be trash everywhere, buildings will still be standing, there will still be edible pre-war food and no one will have run out of pre-war ammunition yet, and there will still be skeletons amusingly posed to show how they died right after the bombs hit.

There will be well organized factions who have done a lot of rebuilding, but they will still be living in the barely-standing ruins of pre-war buildings with trash all over the floor and skeletons slumped over desks. All new structures will still be entirely made out of pre-war scrap material crudely nailed together with no weatherproofing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's pretty easy to cheese the reloading bench. Breakdown surplus ammo and be swimming in match rounds.

The reloading bench might have been more interesting if there was any actual variety but really all you did was "break everything down, make the best bullets."

Azhais posted:

Yeah Fallout 4's power armor is so terrible I don't ever bother actually using it. Having to deal with fusion cores is just irritating and goes against how power armor worked in literally every other Fallout. I might give a suit to a companion to stomp around in but even that is annoying because you inevitably have to fix it all the drat time. It also really, really shouldn't have shown up so early in the game. Like seeing somebody in power armor once or twice early would have been fine but just throwing a suit at the player and then going "lol gently caress you get some fusion cores if you want to use this shiny toy at all" was a terrible design decision. Really fusion cores in general were stupid. It maybe could have made sense if they lasted longer or could at least be recharged while explaining that all the old fusion batteries finally ran out but as is it's bad.

I could have accepted power armor being something that you can climb in and out of if everything else about it wasn't so drat stupid.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On other fallout 4 topics, I recently reinstalled to play Frost since I thought that looked interesting (it wasn't), but figured as long as I'd gone through the effort I'd run through the Vault 88 and Nuka World quests since I'd quit before they came out, and I've bumped into something I can't remember: At what point are you semi-locked in with a faction? I know the "get to the reactor" mission is the actual pop-up point of no return, but can you go to someone else with the data disk from Institutionalized at proceed?

I was going to just do the brotherhood path, but have recently considered going with the Minutemen just so I'd have to murder fewer people, but I'm well past the network scanner mission, is it too late for Sturgis to tell me about the rickety screen door in the Institute's basement?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

On other fallout 4 topics, I recently reinstalled to play Frost since I thought that looked interesting (it wasn't), but figured as long as I'd gone through the effort I'd run through the Vault 88 and Nuka World quests since I'd quit before they came out, and I've bumped into something I can't remember: At what point are you semi-locked in with a faction? I know the "get to the reactor" mission is the actual pop-up point of no return, but can you go to someone else with the data disk from Institutionalized at proceed?

I was going to just do the brotherhood path, but have recently considered going with the Minutemen just so I'd have to murder fewer people, but I'm well past the network scanner mission, is it too late for Sturgis to tell me about the rickety screen door in the Institute's basement?

Aren't the Minutemen there to be like Yes Man? So there's a way to always finish the game?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kinda...? From what I've seen they're only available if you gently caress things up for everyone else, while the Yes Men was always a choice from the get-go

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

frajaq posted:

Kinda...? From what I've seen they're only available if you gently caress things up for everyone else, while the Yes Men was always a choice from the get-go

I don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure you can always go in with them.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and all but it's just so alien to me when I read people saying that they don't like the changes to power armor that FO4 made. It went from being just the high end suit you ended up always wearing in 3/NV to being a sweet vehicle that had real pros and cons.

Also, it's me, I'm the one who like garbage-based minecraft. I legitimately enjoy the settlement building and hoarding globes and microscopes and I hope FO5 expands on the system. Like, if FO5 had some 4X elements for actually expanding your control of whatever wasteland it ends up set in or setting up mostly-functional governments I'd loving love it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

8one6 posted:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and all but it's just so alien to me when I read people saying that they don't like the changes to power armor that FO4 made. It went from being just the high end suit you ended up always wearing in 3/NV to being a sweet vehicle that had real pros and cons.

What "cons?" I played on very hard and wound up with over 200 cores by the midgame despite living in my armor 22/7 (give or take time spent hacking and/or crafting.) I never dipped below that appreciably, either, even after I switched to mailing a gattling laser.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

What "cons?" I played on very hard and wound up with over 200 cores by the midgame despite living in my armor 22/7 (give or take time spent hacking and/or crafting.) I never dipped below that appreciably, either, even after I switched to mailing a gattling laser.

It really only has cons if you don't plan on using it. If you go in thinking "power armor seems cool" and take the int perks for it there's basically no downside other than stealth

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

8one6 posted:

Also, it's me, I'm the one who like garbage-based minecraft. I legitimately enjoy the settlement building and hoarding globes and microscopes and I hope FO5 expands on the system. Like, if FO5 had some 4X elements for actually expanding your control of whatever wasteland it ends up set in or setting up mostly-functional governments I'd loving love it.

I like the settlement building too. I just think it's way too shallow; you should start with leaky shacks but eventually be able to builder nicer things. That and either dismantle or repair all the houses in Sanctuary. Or really any damaged building in the settlements in general that you can't tear down.

The concrete is obviously an upgrade but it still doesn't have proper windows. Meanwhile the vault stuff is OK but kind of boring.

There's also no actual mechanical choices to really be made with the settlements. Food, water, beds, some stores, some happiness and...OK I'm done, next one. Food, water, beds, some stores, some happiness and...

Hopefully it gets better in future games but right now it's bland as gently caress. It feels like beta software that was just stapled on because the kids like buildy games these days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like the idea of power armor but I hated how it felt in practice most of the time so I always go without it. They should have more vehicles that work on the same principle. I should be able to pilot Liberty Prime. I should be able to pilot a Sentry Bot.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hopefully it gets better in future games but right now it's bland as gently caress. It feels like beta software that was just stapled on because the kids like buildy games these days.

the Fallout IP is used by Bethesda to test out stuff for their future TES games

they tested settlement building and were wondering how people would react to it, we will hopefully see some expanded stuff for that in TES 6
they tested voiced protagonists and that horrible dialogue system, later themselves admitting it was a mistake
they tested the Power Armor system for the upcoming Dwemer Battle Suit mechanic in TES 6
companions with relationship system are probably coming in TES 6 too because people liked them

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm not sure how companion romances will go without a voiced main character. They might drop those as well

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

frajaq posted:

the Fallout IP is used by Bethesda to test out stuff for their future TES games

they tested settlement building and were wondering how people would react to it, we will hopefully see some expanded stuff for that in TES 6
they tested voiced protagonists and that horrible dialogue system, later themselves admitting it was a mistake
they tested the Power Armor system for the upcoming Dwemer Battle Suit mechanic in TES 6
companions with relationship system are probably coming in TES 6 too because people liked them

What's your basis for this? I'm genuinely asking. I played both Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and the only thing I can really think of that carried over was the perks system, but I don't know if that was specific to Fallout 3.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I always considered the Hearthfire DLC to be a prototype for the settlement system in FO4, really. I don't know if they give preferential treatment to either of the series, they always seemed to bounce ideas around and see what works.

In New Vegas you can see where they were experimenting with borderless towns and structures that had no load times; obviously severely limited but you could see what they were toying around with in some cells.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

prometheusbound2 posted:

What's your basis for this? I'm genuinely asking. I played both Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and the only thing I can really think of that carried over was the perks system, but I don't know if that was specific to Fallout 3.

The voice actor for Belethor carried over from Fallout 3

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

2house2fly posted:

I'm not sure how companion romances will go without a voiced main character. They might drop those as well

The same way they did in every game prior to voiced main characters? What would be different?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

prometheusbound2 posted:

source: my rear end

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im playing the fallout 4 dlc for the first time, and I gotta say automatron is great. I love building robots and customising stuff. I turned codsworth into a pimped out brainbot with twin auto lasers for hands. i feel a little bit bad for changing him away from being a mr handy, but robobrains are so cool.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
dual-stealth-blade assaultrons are the best

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The same way they did in every game prior to voiced main characters? What would be different?

“You found me a mammoth tusk and wore a necklace? Marry me so hard.”

Sure the writing for a voiced protagonist can also be really bad, but the ceiling of maximum quality is a lot higher than it was for the un-voiced void of personality.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In New Vegas you can see where they were experimenting with borderless towns and structures that had no load times; obviously severely limited but you could see what they were toying around with in some cells.

The only thing Bethesda was experimenting with in NV was outsourcing development.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO the problem with a voiced protag in a player choice-heavy game is that it's significantly harder to keep player choices meaningful without the character seeming schizophrenic. It's easier to keep a mental tone in your head for the text than hearing an in all honesty subpar VA argue with their dadson and then say "No way jose!" to their panicking robotson.

In games like Mass Effect your choices are usually limited towards a specific focus between two choices (sometimes two reasonable options and a "lol gently caress you time to die", sometimes one good and one gently caress-you) in a progressing storyline, and even then and with one of the most experienced female VA in the industry things still get pretty wacky when threading through contrary choices.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 6, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way you can make a voiced protagonist in an RPG work well is by giving them an established personality first and building the dialogue choices around how that specific character would react. The Witcher is at the top of this pile because Geralt's personality was already laid down on the books so everything he does in the games is in line with that.

The next best one are the deus ex games particularly when you play as Jensen for similar reasons.

I don't think it quite works for Shepard because he's the first voiced protagonist bioware did, but for all of its faults Dragon Age 2 did voiced protagonists best for Bioware. The reputation system that let other npcs remember your dialogue choices was really good, so you'd have other characters notice if sarcastic Hawke was suddenly acting serious or if sociopath Hawke tried to Crack a joke.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

If you care at all about your vidja gaem husbando/waifu, you will recite your lines, IN CHARACTER, at the screen.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my voiced protagonist is erratic because he abuses a great deal of drugs and has brain damage from being frozen for 200 years

i gave codsworth an assaultron body and its a very confusing combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Azhais posted:

The voice actor for Belethor carried over from Fallout 3

If you can hire Stephen Russell, hire Stephen Russell.