Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

actually they are destined to long lives of leisure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is actually such a thing as pig "engineer"

pig is an obscure hadoop-adjacent domain specific programming language for munging data

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

pig is an obscure hadoop-adjacent domain specific programming language for munging data

if you told you made all that up id believe you

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/981699456725897218

everyone in the mercer family is destined for the gullotine

lmao, it's the mr. show human worth idealogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke9iShKzZmM

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hackbunny posted:

What's the point of this article :psyduck: How are "web designer" and "business consultant" million dollar occupations :psyduck:

:psyboom:

the irs doesnt consider 'failson' a valid occupation

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

https://twitter.com/coindesk/status/981532292572221440

I'm running for governor. And I believe in the blockchain.

Those are two sentences that you've probably never seen together. And that is a big fail for the public sector.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

love to pay monthly fees that are as much as my mortgage

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Zokari posted:

if you told you made all that up id believe you

https://pig.apache.org/

its deffo out of favor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

https://twitter.com/coindesk/status/981532292572221440

I'm running for governor. And I believe in the blockchain.

Those are two sentences that you've probably never seen together. And that is a big fail for the public sector.

that's small potatoes compared to this motherfucker's affordable childcare plan

quote:

The Child Care Equity Fund will invest capital in eligible families that apply for the program to cover a portion of child care costs. The terms of the agreement — size of the investment, payback percentage and duration — will vary from family to family based on the amount of financing, income, and risk profile. The payback period will start once the child has entered school and last a period of years (at maximum until the child graduates high school). Like a company repaying an investor (rather than a debtor repaying a lender), the parents will not owe a monthly debt payment but rather a fixed percentage of monthly income to the Fund.

literally taking out loans to pay for little Timmy's daycare. this is better than the state's current system, where the state just pays for it and doesn't need to be reimbursed, because _________

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/andEps/status/981962250444595201

https://twitter.com/mikescotto/status/981956668148928513

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I truly feel for their plight. sentence: guillotine.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
e: lol wrong thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

that's small potatoes compared to this motherfucker's affordable childcare plan

literally taking out loans to pay for little Timmy's daycare. this is better than the state's current system, where the state just pays for it and doesn't need to be reimbursed, because _________

disrupting the rentseeking economy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I truly feel for their plight. sentence: guillotine.

they wouldn’t even need to build a homeless shelter anymore!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

theflyingexecutive posted:

they wouldn’t even need to build a homeless shelter anymore!

What pragmatic solution.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/shitshowdotinfo/status/982262377088339974?s=21

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

:thermidor: dot text

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They're just straight-up trying to harvest your organs now.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Has Paul "Andrew" Ryan said anything about "scaling back" or repealing the ADA? Seems like something he would have a boner for.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
check date on that article

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know, it's an oldie but a goodie.

The fun bit is that most of the truly insane stories on that site are from small businesses and nonprofits.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

my greatest regret is that sentence is probably too long to fit in the thread title

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That's a pretty good subtle burn by the journalist there.

It's from politico if anyone cares.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/06/trump-young-conservatives-college-charlie-kirk-turning-point-usa-217829

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/atlanta-n-word-confederate-history-month-griffin-georgia-rodney-mccord-a8290176.html

quote:

The tense exchange between the two men happened on the same day that the Atlanta suburb of Griffin, Georgia, declared April as Confederate History Month. While speaking about the declaration during the public comments portion of the meeting, Larry Mr Johnson, a former member of the board who is white, immediately turned his attention to Rodney McCord, who appears to have been one of two black officials at the table.

Now what if class war

but also a race war 🤔

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Main Paineframe posted:

my greatest regret is that sentence is probably too long to fit in the thread title

You can get a good part of it

Willis, who works at a firm founded by his father,

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Guillotine report:
my wife set up a playdate with one of the other moms from my sons daycare class. As soon as I gpsed the address I saw it was in the richest part of town and our instructions were to "park in front of either the first or 2nd garage". The house must have been about 5,000 sq ft, with a backyard bigger than my entire property, a front yard, an inground pool, a tennis court, and a fridge stocked exclusively from whole foods.
But they are super nice and my son and their son are friends so please spare them from the revolution, tia

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

No. Mercy is a luxury we must not afford ourselves.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

You are collecting valuable information, comrade

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

well of course they're nice if you and your wife havent yet demonstrated that you don't know your place

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Nastier Nate posted:

Guillotine report:
my wife set up a playdate with one of the other moms from my sons daycare class. As soon as I gpsed the address I saw it was in the richest part of town and our instructions were to "park in front of either the first or 2nd garage". The house must have been about 5,000 sq ft, with a backyard bigger than my entire property, a front yard, an inground pool, a tennis court, and a fridge stocked exclusively from whole foods.
But they are super nice and my son and their son are friends so please spare them from the revolution, tia

no way! think of all the uses we'll get out of that place after expropriating it!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

Guillotine report:

make sure to write a detailed report on the floor plan and security staff

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Nastier Nate posted:

Guillotine report:
You testimony is extremely suspect.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Wheeee posted:

actually they are destined to long lives of leisure lol

:laffo:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
But if we cure people... less money? :thunk:

quote:

Goldman Sachs analysts attempted to address a touchy subject for biotech companies, especially those involved in the pioneering "gene therapy" treatment: cures could be bad for business in the long run.

"Is curing patients a sustainable business model?" analysts ask in an April 10 report entitled "The Genome Revolution."

"The potential to deliver 'one shot cures' is one of the most attractive aspects of gene therapy, genetically-engineered cell therapy and gene editing. However, such treatments offer a very different outlook with regard to recurring revenue versus chronic therapies," analyst Salveen Richter wrote in the note to clients Tuesday. "While this proposition carries tremendous value for patients and society, it could represent a challenge for genome medicine developers looking for sustained cash flow."

(I originally posted it in doomday econ but it's true it belongs here better)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Teal posted:

the big pharma paranoia is coming from inside the analytics firm!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

this is the part where everyone feigns outrage at that evil investment bank and pharmaceutical companies while ignoring the fact that both are merely acting as they must given their place within the capitalist system

conceptually understanding complex systems is something that a significant portion of the human population are incapable of

luckily Good Capitalist Bill Gates will very publicly donate some money somewhere and everyone will be reassured that the system, while flawed, works

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Teal posted:

There's nothing that says you can't cure a disease based off a financial plan where the patient pays a percentage of their income for the rest of their life because they're now 100% cancer free.

You get healthier patients and an indefinite revenue stream...that's win-win folks! Hire me Goldman Sachs!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The Nastier Nate posted:

There's nothing that says you can't cure a disease based off a financial plan where the patient pays a percentage of their income for the rest of their life because they're now 100% cancer free.

You get healthier patients and an indefinite revenue stream...that's win-win folks! Hire me Goldman Sachs!

If you completely cure them, they lose the incentive to keep paying to not die.

You've got a long way to go before you're Goldman Sachs material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

If you completely cure them, they lose the incentive to keep paying to not die.

You've got a long way to go before you're Goldman Sachs material.

If only there was a system where some sort of authority, like, dunno, state, can mandate collection of resources from every citizen, creating a monetary pool which can pay for treatment where the middleman is incentivised to pay for research of permanent cures as they've got nothing to gain from their patients being ill as it means no extra income but only extra losses.

That'd be pretty cool I think.