Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

:getin:

The J70 Cruiser is too strong so now I have the Rugger up for sale. It kinda sucks I guess but since the problem is 'Oh no I have too many cool trucks dang' it really isn't that bad.

Facebook Marketplace flagged the ad though and was all like "OH NO LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL AN ITEM WE DON'T ALLOW"

It's pronounced 'RUG ER' not 'Rooger' :argh:

Well aren't you just a floosie, switching your affections to the whatever comes in from the docks.

Also, :ughh: at Facebook's pathetic attempt at automated idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Got pics of the Cappo. Needs some touch up here and there but for a 30 year old car I think its in pretty decent shape. I think it'll clean up nice.

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 7, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

Well aren't you just a floosie, switching your affections to the whatever comes in from the docks.

Also, :ughh: at Facebook's pathetic attempt at automated idiocy.

It was allowed once a human looked at it, my request was "This isn't a gun, it's a truck" :v:

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Got pics of the Cappo. Needs some touch up here and there but for a 30 year old car I think its in pretty decent shape. I think it'll clean up nice.

Phenomenal. Remember you can always just vinyl wrap stuff too if you don't want to repaint anything just yet and considering the size of it that's like 2 ft of the stuff you'd need. The seats being in good shape is A++

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks! Yeah I'll probably roll with it like it is for the summer and fix any mechanical issues it may have and do some service work. Than in the fall I'll hand it over to some guys our store works with that do lots of professional touch up for us and have a side business restoring and selling custom 70s vans. They'd love to take a crack at it. I have thought about wrapping it, like you said wouldn't cost much since its so tiny and get to play with lots of different colors that way.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Awesome -- it looks really good. I'm excited for you and can attest that tearing around the midwest in a kei car is where it's at. The car has no idea what to do in all the space, like letting a dog loose outside for the first time.

Get an odometer statement if at all possible http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3724.pdf Also,when you get plates, the VIN will give the computer a stroke and it will claim your title is invalid. The girl called HQ and there's an override involving 25 and a bunch of 9s and then they fix it later, so don't let them send you away.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Electric Pigeon posted:

there's an override involving 25 and a bunch of 9s and then they fix it later, so don't let them send you away.

Replace the 9s with 0s and that's how my insurance works. They remove the 0s after it's in the system so the paperwork has the true VIN on it.

Finally got into the PZ Cruiser and got it all cleaned up. Needs new tires (its wearing winters), suspension bushings (on order) and some more detail cleaning on the inside. Otherwise it's cleaned up wonderfully.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Looks good!

Worth asking if it has the radio aerial, looks like it's been removed in the picture. It's not retractable, it screws into the mount. Also check if it has the roof bags in the boot.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Electric Pigeon posted:

Get an odometer statement if at all possible http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3724.pdf Also,when you get plates, the VIN will give the computer a stroke and it will claim your title is invalid. The girl called HQ and there's an override involving 25 and a bunch of 9s and then they fix it later, so don't let them send you away.

Thanks for the heads up about the BMV stuff. I'll make sure to not take no for a answer.

InitialDave posted:

Looks good!

Worth asking if it has the radio aerial, looks like it's been removed in the picture. It's not retractable, it screws into the mount. Also check if it has the roof bags in the boot.

Yep it does have the antenna, its on the passenger side in between the seat and center console in another picture I got as well as the roof bags.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is that a 6cyl? I expected it to be a 4.

If I still lived in NY I'd want one of those for sure.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Kaker now has me wanting a little truck now. Probably gonna pick up a beater Jimny once the Cappo gets here and gets fixed up. Be fun to bomb around town and the woods with it. I’m sick for Kei cars/trucks now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is that a 6cyl? I expected it to be a 4.

If I still lived in NY I'd want one of those for sure.

PZ is the 5 cyl actually, the HZ is the 6. I'm sure there are short wheelbase models with the 6 shoved in it but I haven't seen one at auction yet, and the short wheelbase ones are fairly rare. The rag tops are the rarest.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Kaker now has me wanting a little truck now. Probably gonna pick up a beater Jimny once the Cappo gets here and gets fixed up. Be fun to bomb around town and the woods with it. I’m sick for Kei cars/trucks now.

Jimnys are rad as heck but prices can be quite high for good ones though, I picked up this Land Cruiser for just a bit more than a very nice Jimny can go for. It all depends of course, but yeah man good luck stopping yourself from just buying some more :getin:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Haha yeah I just want a total beater so I won’t feel bad when I dent it up driving it off road. So hopefully it won’t be to much. Really love to get a early one with the two stroke.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons: There's a guy on Kei Cars In The Park selling a Mira Classic (the L500 based 5-door with the different front end and rear lights) that's in "project" condition, but he's only asking £500 for it.

quote:

Due to timewasters this is back up for sale for the 3rd time now! £500 as i need it gone, if no one wants it I will break it

selling my mira classic as i want to move onto other things. this car is seriously fast, all it needs is a fuel cut defender and a fuel reg to run 125hp.

the car is about 85k miles, just had a new engine put in with a full top end rebuild with 1.5mm MLS head gasket. This car has really good spec. all the electrics work, radio works, no aircon and the interior is in very good condition except for one small rip on the drivers seat.

full 2.25" exhaust, colt 1.5 turbo,adjustable actuator starlet intercooler, uprated clutch (good for 180hp), adjustable panard rod (very rare item), avanzato strut brace, uprated shorter stroke rear shocks, gaz coilvers (not fitted), alloy radiator and an avanzato steering wheel.

The rear arches and bonnet could do with attention, the sills are alright and the underneath of the car isnt bad at all compared to most mira classics. The 4wd works fine.The car currently has no MOT, the exhaust needs putting back on (comes with car), needs a clutch cable as original one is stretched (comes with car), and needs the starlet intercooler fitted (comes with car), I am asking for £500. The car runs and drives great. I am located in Reading Berkshire

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man that looks a lot like an Impreza Casablanca. Was there just a lot of acid in the water supply in Japan during that time?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man that looks a lot like an Impreza Casablanca. Was there just a lot of acid in the water supply in Japan during that time?

That might be the ugliest Subaru I've ever seen

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

That might be the ugliest Subaru I've ever seen

Wrong, it owns. Go mudding all day, then hose it off and get it valet parked in front of Mr. Chow.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just a word of warning, NEVER get tempted to throw a turbo on that 1PZ. The 1PZ/1HZ family has been extensively turbocharged over the years, especially the 1HZ in the landcruisers over here.

Generally the outcome is a slagged engine with 1+ cracked pistons, a cracked head and someone looking to fit a 1HD series engine in.

That said, if you want it to go, find an early 90's HDJ80 landcruiser with a shagged body but good drivetrain and drop the 1HD-T in. It will literally drop in and bolt up and all the 24v sensors and that will screw directly into the 1HD-T motor, if your jap spec 80 aint already 24v

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
So I signed up for and worked with the guys at Japan Car Direct because I wanted to get a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo. I got a few inspections and the ones I wanted I never won and others I let pass me by.

Then I got a new job with better pay, overtime and bonuses and crunched the numbers and realized I could afford a R32 GTR instead. Tried to bid on a few that if I won would have cost me over $22k landed and would still need work. Tried looking locally but all were at least 5k more than that and were modded to hell and back.

So I found a local importer called MSP Imports and asked him a for my stupidly specific request for a GTR. Do you have in stock an R32 GTR in KH2 Gun Metal Grey, with stock seats, stock wheels, stock steering wheels 100k miles or less and relatively stock? Yup. $18,500.

The Good: Cheap, No Leaks, No Smoke, No Rust , Barely Under 100k miles, comes with nice winter tires. Importer has owned and worked on skylines for 15 years and is throwing in the 100k mile service as part of the $18,500.
The Bad: OEM Spoiler Replaced with duckbill, clear coat fading, front lip badly painted, AC blows warm and is on R12, dash bubble, grinds at high rpm shifts into 2nd. Small hole in passenger seat (probably cigarette burn). Tacky Shift boot, handbrake boot and shift knob. Strange (supra?) cover for the steering wheel most likely covering up bad wear.

Even with the negatives I should come out around par for the course for a GTR. Got replacement OEM spoiler and shift knob on the way, going to see if I can live with the tacky shift and handbrake boots. Got a body guy who can take care of dings and will repaint the whole car for a good rate, parts on the way for the R134a conversion and got a mechanic who can evacuate it and charge it with r134 which hopefully takes care of the AC. We will see if I can live with a hole in the seat and dash bubble as I dont have easy fixes for those. Gear grind issue is the big one to worry about. Many people online and the importer say that changing the gear oil to redline heavy can resolve this issue. Others report it may be overkill that damages your trans but as the guy has only used it for 15+ years I am going to trust his opinion on this one. Worst case its 500-700 for a good used transmission plus labor.

The car was loaded on the boat from Japan to the US on the 7th and I should it by the end of the month. Looking forward learning to drive RHD and having a second sports car to drive around while the 350z is in the shop or at the mechanic.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Make sure the clutch pedal is adjusted correctly. The gtr uses the same system as a 300zx. The 300 guys say nearly every Nissan they get into the pedal is not adjusted correctly and that causes a grind. Additionally, make sure the master and slave are bled well, it is a bitch to truly get all the air out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If the dash vents come out easily you may be able to inject some adhesive under the bubbles and roller/press them back into shape. I did the same on some Volvo door panels after warming the surface with a heat gun gently. Holding everything in shape while it cooled and set was hardest.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I quite like the duck bill spoilers, though everyone I know with a 32 GTR has the standard spoiler combo with it. No idea if they came stock like that from factory or they were added before they were imported.

This is a friend's. It is schweet.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nice GTR, I really like the Gunmetal colour. It will be worth it the first time you nail it into a corner and you think it is going to spin out the the front wheels dig in and pull you around.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Uh, that duckbill looks awesome on the GTR. Nice color too. :thumbsup:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I quite like the duck bill spoilers, though everyone I know with a 32 GTR has the standard spoiler combo with it. No idea if they came stock like that from factory or they were added before they were imported.

This is a friend's. It is schweet.

Yeah the duckbill looks fine with the regular spoiler on top.

LeeMajors posted:

Uh, that duckbill looks awesome on the GTR. Nice color too. :thumbsup:

It think its gonna grow on me. The car just looks naked without the OEM spoiler.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

Just a word of warning, NEVER get tempted to throw a turbo on that 1PZ. The 1PZ/1HZ family has been extensively turbocharged over the years, especially the 1HZ in the landcruisers over here.

Generally the outcome is a slagged engine with 1+ cracked pistons, a cracked head and someone looking to fit a 1HD series engine in.

That said, if you want it to go, find an early 90's HDJ80 landcruiser with a shagged body but good drivetrain and drop the 1HD-T in. It will literally drop in and bolt up and all the 24v sensors and that will screw directly into the 1HD-T motor, if your jap spec 80 aint already 24v

I'm Mr. OEM AS IT LEFT THE FACTORY (MAYBE NICER TIRES) so no worries on me turbo charging the PZ or HZ. Neat about the 1HD-T though, there are quite a few Cruisers at auction that probably run just fine but have hosed up bodies.

Loanarn posted:

So I signed up for and worked with the guys at Japan Car Direct because I wanted to get a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo. I got a few inspections and the ones I wanted I never won and others I let pass me by.

Then I got a new job with better pay, overtime and bonuses and crunched the numbers and realized I could afford a R32 GTR instead. Tried to bid on a few that if I won would have cost me over $22k landed and would still need work. Tried looking locally but all were at least 5k more than that and were modded to hell and back.

So I found a local importer called MSP Imports and asked him a for my stupidly specific request for a GTR. Do you have in stock an R32 GTR in KH2 Gun Metal Grey, with stock seats, stock wheels, stock steering wheels 100k miles or less and relatively stock? Yup. $18,500.

The Good: Cheap, No Leaks, No Smoke, No Rust , Barely Under 100k miles, comes with nice winter tires. Importer has owned and worked on skylines for 15 years and is throwing in the 100k mile service as part of the $18,500.
The Bad: OEM Spoiler Replaced with duckbill, clear coat fading, front lip badly painted, AC blows warm and is on R12, dash bubble, grinds at high rpm shifts into 2nd. Small hole in passenger seat (probably cigarette burn). Tacky Shift boot, handbrake boot and shift knob. Strange (supra?) cover for the steering wheel most likely covering up bad wear.

Even with the negatives I should come out around par for the course for a GTR. Got replacement OEM spoiler and shift knob on the way, going to see if I can live with the tacky shift and handbrake boots. Got a body guy who can take care of dings and will repaint the whole car for a good rate, parts on the way for the R134a conversion and got a mechanic who can evacuate it and charge it with r134 which hopefully takes care of the AC. We will see if I can live with a hole in the seat and dash bubble as I dont have easy fixes for those. Gear grind issue is the big one to worry about. Many people online and the importer say that changing the gear oil to redline heavy can resolve this issue. Others report it may be overkill that damages your trans but as the guy has only used it for 15+ years I am going to trust his opinion on this one. Worst case its 500-700 for a good used transmission plus labor.

The car was loaded on the boat from Japan to the US on the 7th and I should it by the end of the month. Looking forward learning to drive RHD and having a second sports car to drive around while the 350z is in the shop or at the mechanic.

:hellyeah:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Neat about the 1HD-T though, there are quite a few Cruisers at auction that probably run just fine but have hosed up bodies.

They're still going for a bit too much imo. I poked Japan Car Direct to find me a heart donor but I don't think they understand that I'm after a vehicle that I don't want to import, but have gutted and scrapped.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
What do you guys think of the Toyota Sera? This one has been posted for at least 6 months up in BC. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/1990-toyota-sera-gullwing-fwd/6536129913.html I don't mind it being an auto with the lovely traffic around Seattle/Bellevue. There are a few others in the area but they're double the price.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

NinjaTech posted:

What do you guys think of the Toyota Sera? This one has been posted for at least 6 months up in BC. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/1990-toyota-sera-gullwing-fwd/6536129913.html I don't mind it being an auto with the lovely traffic around Seattle/Bellevue. There are a few others in the area but they're double the price.

Toyota + Gullwings? Sign me the gently caress up.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

NinjaTech posted:

Good luck replacing any of that glass if it ever goes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

slothrop posted:

Good luck replacing any of that glass if it ever goes.

Yeah I’ve seen cases where older classic cars in the US just straight up don’t have glass available, this would probably be available in Japan or another market but the shipping would kill you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You'd have to have a parts car. There's quite a few Seras bouncing around up here, so chances are some JDM-specialty boneyard will also have one.

For something really uncommon? Yeah, you'd be hosed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NinjaTech posted:

I've heard multiple times that in sunny climates that glass loving bakes. I like them a lot but with the sun that we get here I'd die twice, on fire.
As for the car itself it's essentially a Tercel/Paseo so for mechanicals you're golden.

EDIT
Although looking at that ad again the 'clean title' is a crock of poo poo, the car is in Canada and would need to be imported same as anything else. Tsk tsk.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 13, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had a look at Seras a good few years ago, they're cool and weird and came with a bunch of incredibly rare options like 5.1 audio, a weird vent mounted in the roof and my favourite; AIR FANTASY. It's a fragrance unit that cycles through 3 scents in order to keep your car smelling pretty.

Other configurations:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 13, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh my God that's aesthetic as gently caress. Something vaguely cyberpunk-y about a fragrance system right next to a band graph.

Like when GladOS says "you have been breathing the same room of air, filtered and recycled over and over."

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
PUSH

· FOR YOUR LIFE SCENE ·

:dance:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TOYOTA ORIGINAL ACCESSORY MULTI BOX

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wish we still got weird when we made cars. :allears:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

KakerMix posted:

I've heard multiple times that in sunny climates that glass loving bakes. I like them a lot but with the sun that we get here I'd die twice, on fire.
As for the car itself it's essentially a Tercel/Paseo so for mechanicals you're golden.

EDIT
Although looking at that ad again the 'clean title' is a crock of poo poo, the car is in Canada and would need to be imported same as anything else. Tsk tsk.

I wonder if there's some hidden lovely parts of the car since it's been sitting around on craigslist for so long. I have heard of them being a greenhouse but I don't think it would be too terrible in washington. Being able to get mechanical parts here is definitely appealing. I think the broken glass pieces would be something to worry about on most of these imported cars too, there are tons of cars that you can't get parts for. The door struts going bad seems to be the biggest issue from what I've read online.

I'll probably just go the boring route of getting a used Prius for a daily though. Then work on getting my 89 Isuzu Impulse turbo running. That would fill the weird rare japanese car spot.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

NinjaTech posted:

I wonder if there's some hidden lovely parts of the car since it's been sitting around on craigslist for so long. I have heard of them being a greenhouse but I don't think it would be too terrible in washington. Being able to get mechanical parts here is definitely appealing. I think the broken glass pieces would be something to worry about on most of these imported cars too, there are tons of cars that you can't get parts for. The door struts going bad seems to be the biggest issue from what I've read online.

I'll probably just go the boring route of getting a used Prius for a daily though. Then work on getting my 89 Isuzu Impulse turbo running. That would fill the weird rare japanese car spot.

Ive got a sweet Atrai van down in Vancouver ;) that would scratch your weird jap itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Busy weekend.

Sold the 83 Acty

Sold the Rugger.

:10bux: