Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I was going to wait to post a build thread until it was mostly done but...

https://jalopnik.com/this-1968-volkswagen-fastback-is-actually-a-miata-1825036646

I'm on vacation at the moment but I'll be back to blow this project thread up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
This thread is going places. I can tell. Bottom floor. Going up!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
A body swap and a motor swap? I'm in.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Ever since I had to give up my LS1 Impreza wagon project I've been going crazy. After going around and around and changing my mind 20 loving times I went with this madness. The project that I was all set to do before this was a tube frame chassis, Miata suspension, GM or Ford I4 turbo driveline in an MGB GT but it was just a bit too much to take on in my back yard and I really want a daily driver. Original engine plan was the Miata's supercharged 1.8 but that quickly changed to a Honda J32A2, but that had to change because after noticing that the steering rack is moved rearward a bit in the swap kit I decided not to do it as that would have made my already injured Ackermann angles worse. The Ecotec swap is cheap and will have about 30 more HP and 40 more TQ than my M45'd 1.8. It can also be easily upgraded to "stupid" later if I want.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
That just makes me want to see the project development more. So either post updates or don't because I've got blue balls already.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This rules.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's awesome.

Joe Mama, I've bought a few plat upgrades and I'm handing them out to eligible AIers. Send me an email at alphageek.dk@gmail.com if you'd like one.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Looking forward to the details when you come back.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
This is a good and proper build, I'm excited to see more progress.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

bolind posted:

That's awesome.

Joe Mama, I've bought a few plat upgrades and I'm handing them out to eligible AIers. Send me an email at alphageek.dk@gmail.com if you'd like one.

I would respond in the affirmative, sir.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

That just makes me want to see the project development more. So either post updates or don't because I've got blue balls already.

I'm a tease, I get off on it. I was going to wait to do a thread so that I could drop a lot at a time instead of doing a slow trickle that bores people and makes them wade through endless posts but Jalopnik forced my hand, had to be done. Right now I'm working on constructing custom Short/Long arm type hood hinges. I'll get pics up eventually. Speaking of that, I can't seem to make Photobucket display pics properly in here using proper codes and links. Is it me or them?

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 7, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Photobucket is a shithole. Imgur is basically the only host that works.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Joe Mama posted:

I would respond in the affirmative, sir.

Sent you a code/voucher thingie. Let me know how it goes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
photobucket sucks and half destroyed my internet, don't use it. For some reason 90% of bmw people used it in the past and now there's no loving images in bmw forums since photobucket decided to charge something like $400 a year to hot link.
Don't use photobucket and pray to your deity that imgur doesn't do the same thing any time soon.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 7, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

photobucket sucks and half destroyed my internet, don't use it. For some reason 90% of bmw people used it in the past and now there's no loving images in bmw forums since photobucket decided to charge something like $400 a year to hot link.
Don't use photobucket and pray to your deity that imgur doen't do the same thing any time soon.

There's Chrome plugins that get around their block but yeah, nobody should use Photobucket ever again.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fo3 posted:

Don't use photobucket and pray to your deity that imgur doesn't do the same thing any time soon.

Hordes of car forums were all apparently proponents for photobucket and whenever they changed whatever they changed it wiped out a TON of project pictures. gently caress them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, it seems like most of the car poo poo (among other hobbies) has moved into Facebook groups. That poo poo isn't searchable or available elsewhere, sooner than later it'll all be gone and people will start noticing how there is a pretty sizeable gap internet archive wise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, it seems like most of the car poo poo (among other hobbies) has moved into Facebook groups. That poo poo isn't searchable or available elsewhere, sooner than later it'll all be gone and people will start noticing how there is a pretty sizeable gap internet archive wise.

Facebook and Slack are going to be the cause of so much knowledge loss.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Granted, having seen what passes for knowledge on a lot of forums... in some cases, good riddance.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I’ve had a MGB GT on a Miata chassis swap rolling around my head for years as a doable and fundable swap once we get our housing situation sorted.

I’m kind of bummed to hear that it was too narrow or somehow didn’t make the cut.

Very cool project, I’ll be keep an eye on this.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, I figured the side to side measurement was going to be the most critical part. I was tempted for about 3 seconds to widen an MGB a couple inches but gently caress that, I ain't no body work expert. My work is basically all under the skin and is ugly but functional. Plus, the MGB's proportions (nose to body to butt) are a bit wonky and I think I had figured that the Miata would have to be stretched in the front instead of the middle, which is why previous plan was to do a tube frame MGB GT.

Image host talk: I agree. Imgur it will be.

bolind: Gracias mi amigo! I'm going to donate to the robot spine fund anyway on top of it.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
See the new thread. Consider this one closed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854227

• Locked thread