Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

Another one of them high-paying local computer jobs

What exactly is "local" because this has to be come kind of put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're paying you in experience, and where else are you gonna get that huh?!?

Also they're going to be pissed as hell when you cash out that experience and leave in a year.
"Where is your loyalty?!"

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

9 hour layover on Sunday in Newark. loving corporate ticketing system you piece of poo poo. On the not pissing me off side I have two extra free days in Ireland at the end of this business trip.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DigitalMocking posted:

What exactly is "local" because this has to be come kind of put on.

Middle of Michigan.

Poop color logo, poop pay

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

"Where is your loyalty?!"

*takes out wallet*

*points at wallet*

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

Middle of Michigan.

Poop color logo, poop pay

my father in law wants us to move to the rear end-lands of west-coast east michigan, claiming there are 'tons' of IT jobs (usually pointing to ones like what you posted).

"cost of living is so cheap, you could get really far on $15 an hour!" My dude, I'm looking down the barrel of ~$50 an hour, I don't have to live in backwoods poo poo towns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To them an "IT job" is fixing granny's computer so she can see pictures of her grandchildren, so it's double plus nope.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

my father in law wants us to move to the rear end-lands of west-coast east michigan, claiming there are 'tons' of IT jobs (usually pointing to ones like what you posted).

"cost of living is so cheap, you could get really far on $15 an hour!" My dude, I'm looking down the barrel of ~$50 an hour, I don't have to live in backwoods poo poo towns.

where the gently caress is west coast east michigan

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

where the gently caress is west coast east michigan

Muskegon, holland, even Grand Rapids

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Grand Rapids isn't on a coast :confused:

At my previous job I was asked if I wanted to travel to Grand Rapids I politely declined and was later rewarded with a trip to Orlando

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's a regional expression

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I work in Michigan and that is such terrible pay. The call centers usually pay better than that. poo poo when I started out 15 years ago I was almost making that at a help desk answering phones. Whatever company that was is terrible.

There are a ton of IT jobs in Detroit metro area with pretty decent pay and a not terrible cost of living if you are willing to commute a bit. I don’t know if I’d move to Michigan though.

Edit: the commute is garbage though.
Edit2: figured it out. I literally interviewed with them on Monday for a different position.

Obsoletely Fabulous fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 13, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Say ya to da up, eh.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also they're going to be pissed as hell when you cash out that experience and leave in a year.

When you decide to use that sweet, sweet exposure you got banked.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Grand Rapids is a great city to live in, tech salaries are pretty poo poo on the west side of the state right now though.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Nobody says this in Holland or Grand Rapids.

Sirotan posted:

Grand Rapids is a great city to live in, tech salaries are pretty poo poo on the west side of the state right now though.

It's a real city with lots of things to do. Unfortunately I'm on the upper end of that range and it's still a bit debilitating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If grand rapids ain't cutting it for you, there's the hellhole that is the Chicago financial district waiting for you just over the horizon.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

If grand rapids ain't cutting it for you, there's the hellhole that is the Chicago financial district waiting for you just over the horizon.

I would say Chicago in general, but pay is good, the issue is the city/state itself being a dumpster fire they are trying to put out by taking everyone's money and throwing it into the dumpster.

The financial district is its' own special hell, AMA about working as a runner in the CBT pits for a few months; I've never seen more drugs in my life and the most insane bets like "I bet you $10000 the next person that walks through that door will be a brunette"...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never worked downtown but every once in a while someone who got fed up with the city life shows up at our chill suburban campus looking for a more laid back job and buries us in stories.

(they last for about a year, eventually the money always drags them back)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Also, "People have computers for 8 years? I replace mine every 3", wow, stand back everyone, big deal coming through.

All that tells me is that they’re both stupidly impulsive and don’t care for their poo poo. I’m rocking a gaming desktop I built 5 years ago, it amazes me the number of people who see it and say “wow, this still works like new!”

Yep, I care for and about my things, plus I don’t let reckless morons use my stuff. It’s not a difficult concept, if I see that they’re on their third broken iPhone or using a computer that looks like it lost a fight with a trash compactor, their dick beaters stay far far away.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well in the early 2000's there was actually a quasi-valid reason to upgrade your system every couple years because processor speed and video cards were advancing so rapidly.

Since 2010 though it's slowed down a lot, you buy yourself an i5 or whatever and it's good for 5 years easy.

To my eye, the only major speed boost we've had this decade is SSD's.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My baby boomer father says that stupid poo poo all the time. For the first TEN YEARS OF MY CAREER. "Well, you might be getting paid $40,000 less than what you are worth, but you are getting paid to learn! :haw:"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

BOOTY-ADE posted:

All that tells me is that they’re both stupidly impulsive and don’t care for their poo poo. I’m rocking a gaming desktop I built 5 years ago, it amazes me the number of people who see it and say “wow, this still works like new!”

Yep, I care for and about my things, plus I don’t let reckless morons use my stuff. It’s not a difficult concept, if I see that they’re on their third broken iPhone or using a computer that looks like it lost a fight with a trash compactor, their dick beaters stay far far away.
Absolutely. My current PC is maybe 2 or 3 years old which isn't notable, but my media server, which is simply my last PC, is about 7 or 8 years old. I'd have no hesitation about using it daily if the current one went belly up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I live in Holland.

Don't live in Holland.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ratbert90 posted:

I live in Holland.

Don't live in Holland.

100% agreed. With the exception of Belgium and the UK every other place in Europe is an upgrade.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

100% agreed. With the exception of Belgium and the UK every other place in Europe is an upgrade.

:agreed:

Except Spain.

Edit: and Germany.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I was talking about Holland, Michigan.

Either way I'm moving to Wisconsin and passed on a higher paying Chicago financial job because fuuuuuck that commute.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was talking about Holland, Michigan.

Either way I'm moving to Wisconsin and passed on a higher paying Chicago financial job because fuuuuuck that commute.

:thejoke:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I live in Holland.

Don't live in Holland.

I lived there for a summer like 20 years ago. Do they still close everything on Sundays? Place was boring as gently caress.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Virigoth posted:

9 hour layover on Sunday in Newark. loving corporate ticketing system you piece of poo poo. On the not pissing me off side I have two extra free days in Ireland at the end of this business trip.

My companies travel site loves to recommend flights with absurd layovers and mark everything else as 'non preferred' with a scary red exclamation mark to push you into the crappy flight. However, if you tighten the search options to be extremely specific(must be nonstop, arrive at this time, etc) it recommends the cheapest flight it can find under those conditions and you can squeeze in more expensive good flights.
Or just select the flight you want, and under reasons put 'all other flights have layovers that I will charge overtime for' and get it approved that way.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There is a process done semi-monthly that is collaborative between two different departments due to financial controls.

Department #1 generates data, sends it to Department #2 for processing.

If there are any red flags, D#2 reaches out to D#1 for verification.

The deadline for this process to be done is in 3 hours.

Deadline minus 1 month: D#1 generates data and sends it to D#2
Deadline minus 1 day: D#2 starts processing data, notices big problem right away, needs data to be generated again. Only person in D#1 that knows the process is out sick. Backup person calls vendor and has vendor walk them through process.
Deadline minus 6 hours: D#2 is processing data, notices minor issues that need verification. Primary person in D#1 is still sick, backup person in D#1 is out of the office until after the deadline passes.
Deadline minus 4 hours: I'm literally the only other person in the office today that has access to D#1's system, so I'm stuck doing data verification for D#2.

This is a waste of time and money, and I'm pissed off that I have to put off some work on a project that I am actually enjoying working on.

The cherry on top is that we've been pushing for D#2 to have reporting-only access to D#1's system for like 6 months and they keep dragging their feet on it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Weirdly specific discussion I missed during my nap :stare:

I lived in Grand Rapids for a year before I came back to Florida. I moved there with a remote job to follow my girlfriend, who was from Kalamazoo and moved back after she got her Master's, and was promptly laid off a few weeks later. I can say from experience there are NO programming jobs around there, it took me 8 months to get a lovely job doing PHP for Gordon Food Service HQ.

They were an ok company, but really preachy and the salary blew. The funny part was my gf got into a PhD program literally the morning after I accepted the offer, right back where we moved from, so I just started the search all over again to get back to remote (not that I didn't think that the instant I set foot in a cubicle anyway, though). I had to settle for a pay cut below even that garbage but remote was so worth it, and the offer came the day after I dropped the deposit to take over our lease solo (because of course it loving did). Last year I jumped ship after abandoning my own PhD and instantly doubled my salary now that I had a few years' experience in my favor; I have zero formal education in comp sci, my degrees are in physics, so I had to serve my time proving I could hack it, I guess.

Anyway, Grand Rapids and most of Michigan absolutely blows for the field. You're better off if you love .NET and sucking Microsoft's dick, but the salaries are abysmal. Just 2 months in a cubicle at GFS has confirmed to me that if I was forced to go back to that and never work remote again I would kill myself.

It was an ok area to live in, not that I got to see or do much of anything since I was unemployed and poor the entire time. If I could move back there with the job I have now I'd be much happier than being in FL, but we plan to escape next summer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I lived there for a summer like 20 years ago. Do they still close everything on Sundays? Place was boring as gently caress.

No, it's a nice little town and is growing quick.
The problems are:

1) A shitload of old angry Dutch people who inherited their money and have a bootstrap mentality.

2) All the companies involving tech collude and keep wages lower in Holland.

3) The winters are poo poo (Summers are nice)

4) Not a lot of tech jobs.

5) If you do move here, it's difficult to find another job that isn't in Grand Rapids.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My batshit crazy neighbor got a pop up that locks your computer and tells you to call a number. She called the loving number, installed go to meeting, and handed over control of her PC to the scammer. She stopped just short of shelling out $300 and handing over bank information, and instead called my wife who handed the cleanup task over to me.

She's getting us a good deal with movers because her husband works for a freight company, so I have to buck up and listen to her inane rambling.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bob Morales posted:

Another one of them high-paying local computer jobs

A bit late on this, but this is actually semi-decent pay in my town. Then again, by certain metrics, I live in the 3rd poorest town in the country. Then again, again, I currently make literal Burger King money to make Precision. Airplane. Parts. For companies like Boeing, and NASA. I could actually go to Target and get a raise, if that tells you what I'm making an hour. That job would be a substantial raise in pay for me. Why no, I'm not very happy with that, why do you ask?

EDIT: I forgot which thread I was posting in. :yotj:-sorta for me. I snagged the department transfer away from The Overseer, over to Good Supervisor. I start in the new department on the 23rd. So that's good.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 14, 2018

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Peachfart posted:

My companies travel site loves to recommend flights with absurd layovers and mark everything else as 'non preferred' with a scary red exclamation mark to push you into the crappy flight. However, if you tighten the search options to be extremely specific(must be nonstop, arrive at this time, etc) it recommends the cheapest flight it can find under those conditions and you can squeeze in more expensive good flights.
Or just select the flight you want, and under reasons put 'all other flights have layovers that I will charge overtime for' and get it approved that way.

Usually I do that but this is a “special budget” trip that falls way outside my normal cost center so I just ate the layover.

Concur? If so I’ll be super specific in the future

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Virigoth posted:

Usually I do that but this is a “special budget” trip that falls way outside my normal cost center so I just ate the layover.

My $AWFUL_JOB was super strange about expenses. I wasn't allowed to break up a meal between two receipts, so I couldn't, say, go to Starbucks for a coffee and get a bagel at a cart. I just wasn't allowed. This came about because when I started, I used to begin work at 7am, requiring me getting on a train at 5am, so the boss allowed me to get breakfast on the company card. I'd get Jamba Juice and a breakfast sandwich. Eventually they changed the policy, and did not tell me, and so for months I kept doing it.

However, that same job didn't care about hotel costs, I'd travel all the time and stay in suites at the W, or other super fancy hotels wherever I went. I was only making maybe 40k/year, so it was crazy to stay in those kinds of places. I got to make my own reservations, so I'd ask if they minded, and they didn't care. Comically since they never the credit limit for the company card, I had to use my own. In the years I worked there, I banked enough credit card hotel points to stay at W hotels for several years of personal vacations.

My next job, which I didn't stay at for long, though, had a hotel limit of $70/night. It's nearly impossible to find a hotel that isn't a dump for that much. However their per diem for meals was like $80, so I made some decent bank by just going to a grocery store for lunch and dinner, and pocketing the rest.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Virigoth posted:

Yep, you can trick Concur by finding a flight you want that is a bit more expensive than the garbage layover flights and for example it lands at... 2pm. If you then tell Concur that you must arrive between a narrow timeframe, it will probably come up as 'the cheapest flight available' and let you choose the flight.

Edit: Actually, we book hotels on Egencia, only the expense side is on Concur. My mistake.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My next job, which I didn't stay at for long, though, had a hotel limit of $70/night. It's nearly impossible to find a hotel that isn't a dump for that much. However their per diem for meals was like $80, so I made some decent bank by just going to a grocery store for lunch and dinner, and pocketing the rest.

Holy poo poo, $70/night for a hotel? I'm probably spoiled as hell but I can almost see the bed bugs from here...

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 14, 2018

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sprechensiesexy posted:

My desire to troubleshoot my own stuff in my own time dropped to zero when I started working in IT.

Right there with you. This coming week, I'm going to go back to the hole-in-the-wall computer shop that was my first job 20 years ago, drop my laptop on the counter, and tell the guy who trained me when I started there, who still works there to fix the about five things wrong with it.

Granted, one of them might require soldering, which is just enough out of my wheelhouse at laptop sizes that I don't feel confident doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Not pissing me off! Cash income outside of work!

I guess years of sitting on console modding forums and having a good soldering ability means $$$ .Local youngsters/hipsters on FB wanting their 'retro' consoles modded means easy money. Got $100 for soldering Composite sockets to a Sega Master System and $50 to put FMCB on a PS2 Memory Card. I didn't set prices, just "hey mate, pay what you think its worth + parts if applicable".